Brewer Fanatic

How long til Braddock gets called up? -- Latest: Braddock Up Sunday, Stetter Down, Gamel to 60 day DL

uwisfan
Stern will probably go down for Gomez, Vargas DL stint/DFA maybe for Braddock? We haven't seen Vargas since he gave up 5 runs to the Phillies, which means he could be back in 10 days if they make the DL retroactive to the last day he pitched. They could always send Axford back, too, but that wouldn't make much sense.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think Axford needs to stay. I am kind of in the middle about Braddock. As thrilled as I am to see him in Milwaukee, I really, really wish he was moved back to starting. I know people are probably sick of the debate, but the bullpen is in much better shape than the rotation is. Even going into next year, you'll have Coffey, Hawkins, Stetter, Axford, Villanueva, and a long guy. That leaves one, maybe two spots which could easily be filled elsewhere.

Either way though, congrats to Braddock. It's an opportunity well deserved.

Can Riske be moved to the 60-day DL, despite the fact he is rehabbing? He probably isn't anywhere close to contributing, anyway. Vargas DFA would make sense as even though he had a great year last year his career stats indicate at some point he'd regress to the norm.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Yestersay BA mentioned that Axford is the only pitcher that Macha said he was considering to slide into the closer spot til Hoffman (if he does) make it make to regain his spot. To me that shows they are high on him plus he is on the mound again today pitching well...like the two previous post I don't see him being the one going down.

my guess is based on macha's use of the pitching staff is that gomez will replace stern and zach will replace vargas. If Axford was on the chopping block i'm pretty sure he saved himself tonight. I'm making it to the game on Saturday, it would be awesome to see his major league debut.

Does Luis Cruz really need to be on the 40-man with Escobar, Counsell, and Inglett?

Lucroy isn't, so that would have to be another move. My guess is Cruz for Braddock, and if they need to make another move for a catcher then one of Suppan/Vargas.

Are McGehee's knees healed enough where he can be the emergency catcher if Zaun is only out for a few days?

Inglett's also an emergency catcher.

Going to tomorrow night's game in Mpls. Should be fun. And should be more fun if the team rediscovers how to play sound baseball again. The 4-3 win at Pitt tonight is a start.

I'm sure he's going to be good but he's a relief pitcher. Is this really all we have to get excited about?

Given how bad the relief pitching has been and given that it's reasonable to argue that it's been the source of many of this team's problems, I would say getting fresh blood in the relief role is pretty exciting. While it may not be flashy, if Braddock can perform it will fix a major problem, and I'm excited about it. Especially since reliable relievers can be tough to come by. Go Z!

you don't think Marco Estrada will be sent down?
It is a possibility, but it is more likely they'll keep Estrada around as a handcuff for Parra. Although at this point they could send Estrada down and use Suppan as Parra's handcuff, but Estrada pitched so well versus CIN it might be worth giving him another shot.

The job Axford and Estrada have done must have increased the confidence to go with more youth. Vargas has to be toast.

Interesting that Lucroy is in the lineup in Fresno. He's not on the 40 man either.

Longshot prediction on the catching if they wanted to play Kottaras mostly full time: Brewers make a cash deal with Dodgers and pick Mike Rivera up. Rivera's been toiling in AA in Chattanooga. He does have knowledge of the staff.

From a 40 man perspective it would make sense to DFA players like Heether and Cruz since they are just sitting in Nashville. From a making room perspective, good bye Vargas? Then again maybe they option Stetter back down and make Braddock the LOOGY just so we have something else to complain about.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived