Brewer Fanatic

How long til Braddock gets called up? -- Latest: Braddock Up Sunday, Stetter Down, Gamel to 60 day DL

uwisfan

it might take 2 years to get him ready to start in the majors. He's on a

much faster track as a reliever.

So what? First I doubt it would take two years to get him to the majors. I think he could start for the rest of the season in Nashville, pitch some as a starter in the Arizona Fall league, and then be perfectly capable of starting games at the major league level next year. Second, everyone always like to talk about a players "value". Well his value is much, much higher as a starter than it would be as a reliever. And finally, let's talk about need. The Brewers have two or three relievers in Nashville right now that could legitimately have a case to be in the majors. They also have had so many problems finding quality starters the past few seasons that they have had to reach for the likes of Braden Looper and Doug Davis. Nobody is projecting Braddock as a number one starter, but looking at his numbers for the past season + and it's entirely fair to say he has the "potential" to be a number one. What's the problem with stretching him out and letting him try out starting again if he wants to? I see him more as a starter converted to reliever anyway and I don't think it would be much of a problem for him to go back. And the number of starts, it was simply because he had some injuries awhile ago. Hardly a reason to it should keep him out of the rotation, unless you feel Mark Rogers should be in the bullpen too.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I doubt it would take two years to get him to the majors. I think he could start for the rest of the season in Nashville, pitch some as a starter in the Arizona Fall league, and then be perfectly capable of starting games at the major league level next year.

You can't just go increasing a pitcher's innings by 100 from one year to the next. He might be able to start next year and this year but he would probably only be good for 140 innings tops next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I understand the concern, and I see your point. I just think he has too much potential to be pitching out of the bullpen. I'm not suggesting he's going to be our #2 starter year, just that now is the ideal time to try him in the rotation again. You increase his innings to whatever...100 or so this year. Let him pitch in the AFL to get some more work. Next season if he warrants it you can insert him into the #5 spot in the rotation, a spot that gets skipped over a few times, in order to save on his innings. And unless you are in playoff contention, you can shut him down at the end of the year if need be. Again, I understand the concern. But it's not like it's an impossible situation to work through.

I understand the concern, and I see your point. I just think he has too much potential to be pitching out of the bullpen. I'm not suggesting he's going to be our #2 starter year, just that now is the ideal time to try him in the rotation again. You increase his innings to whatever...100 or so this year. Let him pitch in the AFL to get some more work. Next season if he warrants it you can insert him into the #5 spot in the rotation, a spot that gets skipped over a few times, in order to save on his innings. And unless you are in playoff contention, you can shut him down at the end of the year if need be. Again, I understand the concern. But it's not like it's an impossible situation to work through.

It may be best in the long term to take a couple years and transform him back into a starter. But the reality is Doug Melvin doesn't have the job security he had a couple years ago and Fielder's not likely to be around in 2012 either.. It's not 2005 when he could get away with convincing fans to lower their expectations to the point when a .500 season was something to celebrate. Braddock is being prepared to help this year's team and that means as a reliever.

I've made no secret of the fact that I was disappointed Braddock was converted to relief. Generally speaking I think that a relief role is better suited for starting pitchers that fail in that role, like a Gagne for example. However, I think JB12 nailed it, and it's the same reason Macha rode Gallardo so hard last season. Neither Melvin or Macha has job security, and I haven't seen any long term planning out of the organization as a whole since around 2007.

X also astutely championed Braddock for a role in the pen last season because that was the shortest path he had to the majors. I’m not a fan of the idea, I’m not a fan of the bull pen in general, but I do understand the reasoning behind it.

If they are going to call up a player now, I’d rather it be Axford, he’s old enough that I’m not concerned about his arby clock and super 2 status. I do not want to be paying Braddock extra money because he’s the “closer” and reached super 2 status, I’d much rather keep him down until the end of June.

I do realize that every win counts, especially since we’ve given so many games away already, but I just wasn’t sold this was a playoff team from the start. Since I personally don’t believe this is a playoff team regardless, I’d rather the team takes the most effective approach to roster management.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Call Braddock up. Boy is he ever ready. 5 SO in 1.2IP and has yet to give up a run? wow..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What was the reason for him pitching 1.2 and smith comming in for the save (.1 IP)?

I thought that was odd too. Odder yet, LHP Braddock hasn't given up a hit to a left handed hitter this year (6ip) and RHP Chris Smith hasn't given up a hit to a righty (5ip) - so I thought maybe a right handed batter was PHing, but it was lefty, wonder why it wasn't Braddock's guy.

I didn't quite notice Smith's numbers this year: 10 games, 8.1 IP, 9 saves, and except for one inning, pretty much lights out. (1.08 era). However, still I'd like to see Zach get more than one save. This wasn't the first time Smith came in to pitch to one guy either.

I discuss Braddock the Reliever vs. Braddock the Starter with a Brewer fan here at work (Phoenix) extensively, and I still don't have much to add to this thread. Or maybe I do, but it would be far too long, and still wouldn't have a solid platform.

Something I wasn't aware of, is this correct? Zach has one plate appearance in his career?

PA 1

AB 1

R 1

H 1

HR 1

RBI 4

AVG 1.000

SLG 4.000

OPS 5.000

!

This has to be one of the most difficult decisions the Brewers have faced with regard to how to handle their minor league prospects in some time.

You moved Braddock to the pen to ease the strain on his arm, at the time it was thought to be a temporary move.

However he dominated so thouroughly that you had to move him up.

Now he's right on the precipice of becoming a dominating late inning reliever in the big leagues.

Do you want to take that 85 pct chance that he becomes a stud at the backend of games, an issues that has cost us 6 late leads already this year, all but one of them we ended up losing, OR;

Do you want to take that 40 pct chance that the move back to the rotation doesn't go awry and he ends up becoming that frontend type starter?

Not sure how I'd handle it, but I do think the fact that we do have a number of talented starting pitchers on their way, some not too far behind him(Rivas) helps ease their concerns over moving him and keeping him in the pen.

It would be a huge blow to move him back into the rotation and then for him to get hurt and end up accomplishing nothing would be a HUGE blow to us.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It may be best in the long term to take a couple years and transform him back into a starter. But the reality is Doug Melvin doesn't have the job security he had a couple years ago and Fielder's not likely to be around in 2012 either.. It's not 2005 when he could get away with convincing fans to lower their expectations to the point when a .500 season was something to celebrate. Braddock is being prepared to help this year's team and that means as a reliever.
I don't believe Doug Melvin's job security is in any danger whatsoever. I think Mark A is pretty firmly behind him. I believe Melvin will be the Brewers GM as long as he wishes to be.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Looking back over the last decade + and despite the excitement it brings to think about Braddock as a starter, I then parade the Golds, Jones, Rogers... through my head and I ask how great would it have been to have a few of those guys with big arms only develop as bullpen studs instead of not at all? I think it's a reasonable call, and one I have a hard time second guessing.

Invader3K[/b]]Is there something wrong with bringing him to the majors as a reliever, and then possibly converting him to a starter later on? It's happened before.
I said this same thing before. Bring him to the big leagues as a reliever for a 1.5 season. Braddock can use the time to adjust to big league hitters. If the medical staff sees no problem pitching every 5 days, begin to stretch him out in spring training.

In 2010 he only pitches every 2-4 days,the organization is still concerned about his injury history. That i know of, there is no closer that cant pitch back to back days.

He seems to be very dominate as a relief pitcher. Might as well leave him there. I would think there is a good chance he is the closer in 2011 and who knows, maybe even at some point this season. Not many lefty closers, but man Billy Wagner sure was good for a long time. If Braddock can be like him I would be pretty happy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

McCalvy on Braddock:

With how effective Braddock has been in the Minors and in Spring

Training this season, what are the chances of seeing him this year for

the Crew? And are the Brewers looking at him as a potential closer for

the future or just a setup guy?

-- Alex B., Stevens Point, Wis.

Right now, Braddock's just a relief pitcher. Melvin told me at the end

of Spring Training that he wanted the guys at Triple-A Nashville to

develop a multiple-inning mentality, not get pigeonholed into one-inning

roles. Braddock certainly has the "stuff" to close someday, but right

now, it's just about getting innings.

So far, so good. Braddock has not allowed a run in his first seven

appearances this season and has 22 strikeouts vs. four walks in 11 1/3

innings.

If he does get called up, what role does he serve? I doubt Macha would move away from the Hawkins-Hoffman 8th-9th inning combo. Coffey and Villanueva have been pitching very affectively as well. I'd rather see him move into a 2-inning closer role in Nashville. Have him pitch the 8th and 9th innings. It gives him experience as a closer and keeps him from the one inning role. Ideally, they'd stretch him out a bit and put him in the rotation, but I guess they don't feel the same way.

Verified Member
As long as he's young, assuming he remains a reliever, I'd like to see him get the role that Marmol had for the Cubs in '08. Whenever there is trouble, bring him in - sort of a "fireman." Is there another word for a guy who fills that role? Let him do that for 2 or 3 years before "promoting" him to closer.
Formerly AKA Pete

The Braddock I saw pitch last night against Round Rock may not be quite ready for Milwaukee. He seemed to have trouble finishing off hitters who had two strikes on them and he was a little wild. He threw a lot of pitches for two innings of work leading me to wonder if the brewers are beginning to stretch him out. As a relief pitcher he is close to the majors. Fast ball reached 95 and he pitched between 82 to 95 when looking at the velocity of all his pitches . 41 pitches in two innings.

Archived