Brewer Fanatic

Sorting out the our catching prospect conundrum...

I sit here tonight wondering what people think about how the organization might choose to deal with Salome and Lucroy.

Is there any chance that either one of them gets called up this year? The season is very early, but Lucroy is off to a fine start to prove that he really doesn't belong at AA (which seems to be the way the organization likes to handle promotions). Honestly, how could they reward success by either catcher at this point? Seems like the 25 man roster is set for the season with Zaun and Kottaras.

Anyone have thoughts or insights on this? I much prefer these types of organizational issues to the kind we had 8 - 10 years ago when the cupboard was really bare.

yes...I have thoughts. Let Kotteras and Zaun play this year out. Then next year when we need to save money, we choose either one of them AND Kotteras, or both of them. I don't say trade them.

I doubt either one gets the call-up late this year unless there is an injury. Lucroy definitely deserves to be in AAA right now. However, Salome does too. If Salome could have stayed healthy last year it would be okay because he would probably be on the Brewers roster. It is early but both guys have OPS over 1.00.

I am really thinking one of the guys will be traded but who knows.

I also like Garfield as a prospect too. He is really young and is holding his own right now at Wisconsin.

Melvin has said repeatedly there is a strong history of catching prospects being promoted directly from AA when discussing Lucroy's future. Zaun was signed by the Orioles a year ago to keep the position warm for Matt Wieters, and reportedly has a knack for breaking new catchers in. I don't think Kottaras is going to prevent anyone from being given a chance, although it may be Zaun that is sent away first to make room for Lucroy and/or Salome.

I don't like having Lucroy at AA after he finished last year so strong, not only at AA, but also in the Arizona Fall League. Players that respond well to challenges should continue to be challenged. I realize it's tough getting two talented catchers playing time at one level, but I've suggested that Lucroy and Salome both play at AAA splitting time between catcher, DH and maybe even 1B.

I would hold onto both of them. Like pitchers, catching depth is a luxury that more often than not will sort itself out. It's unlikely both players blossom as expected, and if they do, then try to figure out what to do with one of them 2-3 years down the road when their value is even greater. Catchers are known to get more value in trade than they should. I'll never forget the Einar Diaz for Travis Hafner trade the Indians pulled with the Rangers several years ago now.

I agree that Garfield looks good. He reminds me of a young Javy Lopez.

Many good thoughts to read this morning.

I do indeed agree that neither one should be traded. In asking the question I was just trying to get a feel for how the log jam might be dealt with. If it does pan out where the Brewers can manage to keep both for another 2-3 years until the best one emerges, that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully Salome will stay healthy and really continue to make this a fun competition to watch.

Do you suppose they'll do the same thing with our developing 3B situation? I love it when our young guys put pressure on the organization to keep moving them up. Good problems to have. Is Green destined to stay in AA all year no matter what he does with Gamel at AAA and Casey in MKE?

I do indeed agree that neither one should be traded. In asking the question I was just trying to get a feel for how the log jam might be dealt with. If it does pan out where the Brewers can manage to keep both for another 2-3 years until the best one emerges, that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully Salome will stay healthy and really continue to make this a fun competition to watch.

Do you suppose they'll do the same thing with our developing 3B situation? I love it when our young guys put pressure on the organization to keep moving them up. Good problems to have. Is Green destined to stay in AA all year no matter what he does with Gamel at AAA and Casey in MKE?
maybe its me, but I feel when the players put pressure on the org to move them up, Melvin get antsy and deals them if he doesnt have an immediate opening... like dealing Nelson Cruz for a bag of balls..

I would be disappointed if the Brewers let go of Kottaras over Zaun. Zaun is just a 39 year old catcher, while Kottaras still might have some future in the league. If the Brewers decide that Lucroy is ready in June or July, I'm guessing the Brewers could find a taker for Zaun, just like the Orioles did last year.

In any case, I too hope the Brewers hold on to both Lucroy and Salome as long as possible - you're going to get max value out of both by doing that.

maybe its me, but I feel when the players put pressure on the org to move them up, Melvin get antsy and deals them if he doesnt have an immediate opening... like dealing Nelson Cruz for a bag of balls..

I seem to remember that part of the issue there was Cruz's age. Because of that, it seemed to me there was doubt as to the strength of his prospect-ness at the time. Couple that with Corey Hart's burgeoning game and it's not too hard to see how Melvin made the decision he did. Even so, it seems to me that it's a really fine line a GM has to walk when it comes to maximizing the value of abundant talent in trade and losing value because the whole league knows you're at an organizational impasse at a certain position.

Two things will happen with Zaun. He'll either play well enough that they will be able to trade him (much like the O's did to Tampa Bay last year) or he'll play poorly enough that by mid August, he'll be released. Either way, I'll be shocked if he's still on the team for 162 games.

There's absolutely no reason that if Lucroy continues on a pace to be a strong contender for Southern League MVP that he won't be in Milwaukee by around the same date Escobar arrived last year.

Physically (and even facially) Garfield and Lopez are very similar. So often with catchers they're built differently than the other players on the field. They have a big head like Johnny Bench or are built somewhat pear-ish like Terry Steinbach and Jorge Posada. Or, they look like the Gregg Zauns and Henry Blancos of the world -- rather ordinary athletes relatively speaking.

When I saw Garfield he instantly reminded me of Lopez because he looks like a good, well-proportioned athlete, a player that looks more like a corner outfielder than a catcher. He has a big swing and big power potential and also has a strong arm. And I'm talking about the Lopez that first came up for the Braves in the early to mid-90s, not the one that builked up (steroids?) and hit 40+ home runs one year.

Just for comparison sake, Lopez played in the Midwest League at the same age (19) and hit .265 with a .398 SLG (17 2B, 11 HR) for Burlington in 1990.

JohnBriggs12 wrote:

There's absolutely no reason that if Lucroy continues on a pace to be a strong contender for Southern League MVP that he won't be in Milwaukee by around the same date Escobar arrived last year.

Tell that to a former Southern League batting champion; who hasn't started the season that badly either. The worst thing we could do is trade them. Salome and Lucroy give the Brewers a chance to strike gold. And gold in the Major Leagues is a Catcher who can hit.

(And I know there's knocks on Salome's D, but I still say ride this out and let them get as many AB's as possible simultaniously)

Ando Calrissian wrote:.

I say Casey has won the 3B spot and maybe the brewers brass will finally shift Gamel to 1B or RF. Because Taylor Green is no match AA pitching, it probably makes moving Gamel all the easier.

I wouldn't say it is the worst idea to trade one. You have to give something of value in order to get something of value in return and catching prospects who can hit tend to fall into that valuable trade chip area. Letting one guy rot on the bench for years or sit in the minors longer than necessary will only diminish the value of the player. Dealing from a postion of strength allows the team to fill weaknesses in say pitching.

Archived