Brewer Fanatic

Are we gonna make a Sexson like deal?

Seems we have alot of Major League players and a number of AAA players ready for the Majors.

Here are some ideas for big trades:

1)Hardy, Eveland, and Davis to Yankees for ARod or Matsui- I like this because Jeter will have to vacate short soon and the yanks are in dyer need of starting pitching. The Brewers could easily accomodate either in the field.

2)Weeks, ZJ, and Gwynn for Jason Bay and Torres- Losing Rickie may get us in the end, but having Bay lead us to a division title will make it sting less.

3)Jenks, ZJ, and Turnbow for Josh Bard and Linebrink. We add catching and relief help and really only give up on one prospect. The Padres may be after Jenks and Hoffman may be able to teach Turnbow how to pitch.

I tried to be realistic. Anybody else have ideas?

The Twins once wanted Mench, the story goes. Though his value's low, they might well still have interest. They've got young pitching to spare, though that typically commands a premium in the market...I wonder whether they've lost interest in Scott Baker, or would be willing to part with another of their secondary guys for a power bat. Of course they've exercised Hunter's option, so that might limit their ability to take on contracts like Jenkins.

If we could pry Kubel away from the Twins we should do it. The guy is still recovering from his torn ACL in the AFL two years ago. Those things sometimes take two years to fully recover from. Next year he should be all the way back. When at full strength the guy can hit. He can really hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a batting title someday. He won't hit 30+ homers very often but he will hit for a high average with lots of doubles. He could be a very good one.

Well the twins picked up the option on Hunter so their outfield is still packed. I could maybe see them trading Kubel, although if they did, it wouldnt be for an outfielder, especially an overpaid one.To be perfectly honest, looking at the twins lineup, I dont see the brewers as having anything that improves them at any position that id be overly excited about trading to them for a guy like Kubel. Now when they sour enough on him that they trade him for a mid-low level prospect, gimme the crew a call.

-Don

Why are the Royals all of the sudden dying to rid themselves of Teahan? I know Gordon is waiting but a team like the Royals needs to keep as much good cheap talent as possible. Seeing posts where we pick out a guy like Teahan just because he is good and young and playing for the Royals makes me feel very Yankee-like and I dont like that feeling much. Unless there are real rumors our there I am not aware of I dont see why the Royals would trade Teahan.

To them, trading teahan(although i think it makes more sense a year from now) is like us trading overbay last year. Its bound to happen unless he can move to the OF with shealy at 1b and gordon with his fielder like projections. I dont think however they would do it for just a couple meak prospects. they will be looking for a package similar to the overbay one. the one guy they need to trade is sweeney. way overpaid and getting a DH ahouldnt be too hard for way less cash.

-Don

To them, trading teahan(although i think it makes more sense a year from now) is like us trading overbay last year.

I agree on that point, the Royals have holes to fill, and they have a top 3B coming, it is exactly like dealing Overbay was for the Brewers.

If they can fill a hole by moving Teahan, I'm sure they'll do it, but he'll only go for comparable young talent, they aren't going to ship him out for a couple of bench players.

With a lot of AAA depth, not to mention role players like Gross, I could certainly see a quantity for quality type trade, especially when you figure in the fact the Crew seem willing to pick up salary.

For instance, if the Crew feels Carlos V is ready to be a 5th starter, they can probably find a decent SP on the market similiar to Tomo Ohka. That could allow them to deal Davis, an OF (Gwynn?), and a blocked prospect (Hernan? Alcides?) or two for a power hitting OF?

I have no idea if that's feasible or not, but the idea is valid.

Well the guys that get moved in this way are guys who will be free agents a year from now who you trade for then ink to an extension. the best FAs to be would be abreu, wells, a. jones, ichiro, and michael young. abreu wont be traded, wells wont come to milwaukee(i dont think), a. jones has been discussed here b4 and nixed, and ichiro wont be traded. that leaves michael young who is an intriguing possibility. we put jj hardy, davis or ohka, and a good pitching prospect(perhaps zacjack) and they may bite. we would just have to make sure we can work out an extension to keep him the brewer ss for years to come, and then we move billy to cf, have hart in one corner spot, we still have the mench/jenkins/who???? prob in the other corner though.

-Don

Well they are talking about either moving texiera or young. Obviously with prince our need for texiera is limited so we should be proactive and go after young. plus like i said before he is only signed for 1 more year. i think some pitching plus jj hardy should make the deal, although you may end up bidding against what others would offer for texiera and that could get expensive. mlbtraderumors.com seems to think the pirates could get texiera for ian snell and mike gonzalez though. maybe try jj, doug davis, zacjack, and throw in turnbow with us paying half derricks salary. who knows, i just think its probably the best fit of any allstar caliber player that may be made available as the free agent market is not very brewer friendly.

-don

Kubel would be awesome, though I doubt the Twins would want to take on $11 million in salary. We'd have to pay at least $3-4 million, though it may be worth it.

That's what I was thinking as well. If the Twins pick up Silva's option I could see him being dangled around. As for upgrading 3rd, it won't happen. Gardenhire and Ryan love Punto and have no plans of looking for any other option at 3rd. The areas they need are LF, DH and starting pitching. Davis and Jenkins would shore up two of those, and if you throw in a decent prospect you could probably get Kubel, a pitching prospect (Baker or JD Durbin), and then someone like Silva to balance out salaries a bit more.

While the Twins haven't soured on Baker, they are frustrated with him. So I do think he'd be available for the right price.

NO way the Twins do that. That is exactly the opposite of their philosophy.

They trade for young players.

When is the last time they traded for a big time veteran?

Rick Aguilera?

Seriously, if we want Kubel, we'd have to make it a prospect for prospect deal. Hardy for Kubel would be a possibility.

With Jason Bartlett manning SS they would have no interest in Hardy.

As for the last time they traded for a big time veteran, they've acquired Phil Nevin, Bret Boone, Joe Nathan, Carlos Silva, and Shannon Stweart in the past three years. They've even sent minor league players just for major league backups like Jesse Orosco and Pat Borders.

And if you want to go waaaay back to 2001, they traded for Todd Jones and Rick Reed during their pennant drive. So yeah, they trade for veterans, big-time and otherwise, just like they trade for prospects.

Archived