Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sat. April 17th -- Because You Need A Distraction from the Big League Debacle

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Saturday's Daily Menu:

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Chase Wright at home vs. Iowa (Cubs), 6:20 PM pre-game; 6:35 gametime

Live Audio Link

Huntsville: RHP Michael Bowman at home vs. Jacksonville (Marlins), 5:45 PM pre-game; 6:00 gametime

Live Audio Link

Brevard County: RHP Trey Watten at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 6:05 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this game...

Wisconsin: RHP Eric Arnett at Quad Cities (Cardinals), 5:45 PM pre-game; 6:00 gametime

Live Audio Link

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Saturday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville (Gameday also available)

Huntsville (Gameday also available)

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK 
Nashville 7 2 .778 - 0-1 7-1 L1 
Iowa 4 5 .444 3.0 3-5 1-0 W3 
Memphis 4 5 .444 3.0 0-1 4-4 L3 
Omaha 3 6 .333 4.0 2-6 1-0 W1 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings
Tennessee 6 2 .750 - 2-1 4-1 L1 
Carolina 5 3 .625 1.0 1-2 4-1 W1 
Huntsville 4 4 .500 2.0 1-2 3-2 L2 
West Tenn 4 4 .500 2.0 1-2 3-2 W1 
Chattanooga 3 5 .375 3.0 2-3 1-2 W1 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings
Clearwater 6 3 .667 - 5-1 1-2 W1 
Lakeland 5 4 .556 1.0 2-1 3-3 L1 
Tampa 5 4 .556 1.0 3-1 2-3 W1 
Brevard County 4 5 .444 2.0 3-4 1-1 W2 
Dunedin 4 5 .444 2.0 1-1 3-4 L2 
Daytona 3 6 .333 3.0 1-4 2-2 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff
MID Western (click column headers to sort)
Club W L PCT GB Home Away L 10 Streak
Quad Cities 7 2 .778 - 3-0 4-2 7-2 L1
Clinton 5 4 .556 2.0 3-3 2-1 5-4 W1
Kane County 5 4 .556 2.0 4-2 1-2 5-4 L1
Beloit 4 5 .444 3.0 1-2 3-3 4-5 W1
Cedar Rapids 4 5 .444 3.0 4-2 0-3 4-5 L1
Peoria 4 5 .444 3.0 0-0 4-5 4-5 W1
Wisconsin 4 5 .444 3.0 3-3 1-2 4-5 W1
Burlington 3 6 .333 4.0 3-3 0-3 3-6 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stu catches up from last night in Nashville --

On a side note, Sounds' rightfielder, Brendan Katin had to leave the game in the fourth inning. Why? I don't know. I never got the answer, but I will when I get to the ballpark today. Hopefully, it is nothing serious because Katin is one of the best hitters in the Pacific Coast League and he has been off to a very good start this year.

Well, certainly not one of the best pure hitters, the word "power" may have helped there, but you can't fault Stu for his enthusiasm.

Geez, 3 errors so far this inning for the T-Rats, and George just let a ball get under his glove as I type this... ruled an E6, so that's 4 errors in only 3 batters. I just don't think that Arnett is anywhere near as advanced as many prospect sites and posters on bf.net think he is.

The T-Rats are down 7-1 now as Garfield lets a ball get through him. I think I'm done with baseball for the day.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Some nice nights for the hitters tonight.

Salome with a RBI hit in the 6 run seventh. Oeltjen keeps hitting.

Cain on twice, Lawrie with a triple, Gindl continues to so damage, but none were as good as Lucroy. He went 3-3 with a BB. Haydel also 3-3. Green had a hit. Errors for Cain, Green, and Gindl. Bowman pitched decent.

Prince with a double for BC and Erik Miller with a nice night including a steal. Watten got beat up.

WI's offense is much improved, that much we know. Gennett still hitting .400. Dennis with 2 doubles. Same for Khris Davis (actually, now 3!). Same for Romero. Richardson's night was not so good. 

I really like Khris Davis. If he continues to rake (.350), and he has all the tools to do so, he could really shoot up BF.net power 50 rankings. He has been batting third for the TRats. This really seems like the year to go see this team play. They are loaded with talent.

Final: Dunedin 10, Brevard County 1

Brevard County box score

Not a lot to like here. Trey Watten didn't have his sinker working (3/4 GO/AO), leading to five runs allowed on six hits and two walks. The three pitchers who succeeded him--Dan Meadows, Evan Frederickson, and Nick Tyson--weren't much better, each allowing at least a run, though Frederickson's appearance was arguably successful by his standards, allowing as he did just one run while striking out four and walking one. Aplate, the Manatees are awfully dull with Kentrail Davis laid up. Erik Miller was the only 'Tee with multiple hits, and Josh Prince's double to lead off the game was their only extra-base knock. Steve Braun grounded out as a pinch hitter in his first game action since breaking his ankle last year.

Brevard County play-by-play

Final: Quad Cities 9, Wisconsin 5

River Bandits take series opener

Chris Mehring/TimberRattlers.com

DAVENPORT, IA – The Quad Cities River Bandits scored five times in the first three innings at Modern Woodmen Park on Saturday night. Then, they took advantage of five Wisconsin Timber Rattlers errors over the next two innings. Quad Cities beat the Rattlers 9-5 despite Wisconsin’s offense banging out 13 hits – with nine of those hits going for extra bases.

Quad Cities (8-2) got in front in the bottom of the first inning. D’Marcus Ingram doubled to start the inning. One out later, Niko Vasquez doubled to knock in Ingram for a 1-0 lead.

The River Bandits pushed their lead out to 5-0 with a pair of runs in the second and third innings off Rattlers starter Eric Arnett. Ryde Rodriguez capped the early outburst with a two-out, two-run homer in the bottom of the third.

Wisconsin (4-6) got on the board in the top of the fourth inning. Khris Davis doubled and Chris Dennis followed with a double. But, the Timber Rattlers defense kicked the ball around in the bottom of the fourth inning.

The Timber Rattlers were charged with four errors and a passed ball as the River Bandits scored three times in the inning to take an 8-1 lead. Arnett left after the first out was recorded in the fourth. His line in his second start with Wisconsin was 4.1IP, 6H, 8R, 5ER, 5K. Arnett would be tagged with the loss.

Wisconsin’s offense got right back to work in the top of the fifth. Pete Fatse tripled to start the inning. One out later, Franklin Romero, Jr. doubled him home. Then, with two outs, Scooter Gennett and Davis smacked back-to-back RBI doubles to get the Rattlers to within 8-4.

But, another Wisconsin error in the bottom of the fifth inning led to another unearned run for the River Bandits.

Gennett drove in a run in the seventh with a sacrifice fly to make the score 9-5. But, that was the final run of the game.

Joe Kelley was the winner in relief for the River Bandits. He allowed one run over 4-1/3 innings to move his record to 2-0.

Davis led the Wisconsin hit parade with a 3-for-4 night. All three of his hits were doubles.

Game two of the series is Sunday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park. Kyle Heckathorn (0-1, 9.00) gets the starting assignment for the Timber Rattlers. Scott Schneider (1-0, 0.00) is set to start for the River Bandits.

Wisconsin box score

Well, Arnett's second start is causing me to rethink my assertion that Heckathorn's second will necessarily be better than his first. Bright side: Arnett now has an 8/0 K/BB in 7.1 innings this year. I'd love to know how hard he was throwing this time out. Okay, moving on to the fun stuff; the Rattlers' extra-base hits: Gennett doubled once, Davis thrice, Dennis twice, and Romero twice, and Fatse tripled once. Naturally, Dennis drew the only walk. Romero is batting .222 on the year with only eight hits, but six of them have been for extra bases. D'Vontrey Richardson was 0-5 with three strikeouts. Almost worse than Arnett's line was the continuation of the comedy (tragedy?) of errors by the defense. Fatse and Carlos George had two each, and Cameron Garfield added an errant pickoff throw and a passed ball as well. More fielding drills, guys.

Wisconsin play-by-play

Seriously, check out the beginning of this inning. Unreal.

Quad Cities Bottom 4th

• Ryan Jackson reaches on fielding error by third baseman Peter Fatse. Ryan Jackson to 2nd.
  • Luis Mateo reaches on fielding error by third baseman Peter Fatse.
  • With D'Marcus Ingram batting, throwing error by Cameron Garfield on the pickoff attempt, Ryan Jackson to 3rd. Luis Mateo to 2nd.
  • D'Marcus Ingram reaches on fielding error by shortstop Carlos George. Ryan Jackson scores. Luis Mateo to 3rd.
  • With Jason Stidham batting, passed ball by Cameron Garfield, Luis Mateo scores. D'Marcus Ingram to 3rd.
  • Jason Stidham out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Khristopher Davis. D'Marcus Ingram scores.
  • Pitcher Change: Caleb Thielbar replaces Eric Arnett.
  • Niko Vasquez singles on a fly ball to center fielder D' Vontrey Richardson.
  • Matthew Adams called out on strikes.
  • Devin Shepherd flies out to center fielder D' Vontrey Richardson.

Final: Nashville 7, Iowa 1

Sounds Take Down I-Cubs For First Home Win

NashvilleSounds.com

NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds earned their first home win of the

season as they defeated the Iowa Cubs by a 7-1 count on Saturday evening

in front of 5,054 fans at historic Greer Stadium.

Nashville improved the best record in the Pacific Coast League to 8-2

with the win. The Sounds received a quality start by Chase Wright and a

10-hit offensive attack that included knocks by every starter except

shortstop Luis Cruz.

The Sounds grabbed a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the second as they sent

10 batters to the plate against I-Cubs starter Mike Parisi, taking

advantage of a pair of Iowa miscues and a wild pitch.

After Nashville loaded the bases when two batters were hit by pitches

sandwiched around a Joe Koshansky ground-rule double, catcher Angel

Salome lined a two-run single to center to put the home team on the

board.

Later in the frame, Wright helped his own cause with an opposite-field

RBI single to left.

Trent Oeltjen increased the Nashville lead to 7-0 in the fourth when he

laced an RBI double just inside the first base bag to score Ray Olmedo.

Iowa got on the board in the fifth when former Sound Mark Johnson led

off with a pinch-hit single off Wright and later scored in unearned

fashion following a fielding error by Olmedo at second base.

Wright (1-0) turned in his third quality start in three career outings

against Iowa to pick up his first victory of the season. He allowed one

unearned run on four hits over six innings.

David Johnson followed Wright with two scoreless innings before Mitch

Stetter worked a scoreless top of the ninth in his first minor league

appearance since 2008.

Parisi (0-1) took the loss for Iowa after giving up seven runs (five

earned) on seven hits in four innings of action.

The teams continue the series with a 2:05 p.m. matinee on Sunday

afternoon. Right-hander Kameron Loe (1-1, 3.75) will man the bump for

the Sounds to face Iowa southpaw J.R. Mathes (0-1, 8.10).

Nashville box scoreStetter is probably happy to be sent to a team that wins once in awhile. Brendan Katin did not play after leaving yesterday's game with an apparent injury. Adam Heether was 1-3 with a HBP.http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t556&gid=2010_04_17_iowaaa_nasaaa_1&cid=556&t=g_box

Nashville play-by-play

I am impressed with Lucroy. Sometimes when players have to repeat a level after a really good year they struggle to be motivated right off the bat. He is simply dominating AA right now. I would like to see a little more power because I am greedy.

I like what we are seeing out of some of the guys from last years draft. Khris Davis, Kentrail Davis (before the injury) and Gennett all have started out strong. Obviously, I am a little concerned with how Arnett has started. I will wait a couple starts to get really worried.

edit - Fredrickson gave up a run over two innings, but I like the one walk and 4 k's

The most concerning thing is the velocity reports from Chris during his last start. His control seems fine and the defense behind him stinks (both in exectution AND range, but that is just a guess). He just seems too hittable right now. Usually, especially in low-A, velocity and control will carry you regardless of secondary stuff. The K's are still there though, so who knows what's going on. We should proabably chalk it up to small sample size. I won't totally panic until I see the year end results.

On a seperate but exciting note, Hecky was hitting 97 on the stadium gun during his last outing.

Final: Huntsville 5, Jacksonville 2

Huntsville box score

Jonathan Lucroy is apparently a student of the Mike Jones school of thought when it comes to repeating Huntsville, doing his best to hit his way up the chain with a 3-3 night (plus a walk) that has his average now sitting at a meaty .485. Lorenzo Cain has also been attending classes, as his two hits put him at .350 (he also drew a walk). Brett Lawrie finally got back on the board, smacking a triple, Taylor Green was 1-3 with a HBP, and Caleb Gindl got skunked, 0-4. Lee Haydel represented the bottom of the order with a double and two singles. Michael Bowman allowed plenty of baserunners--eight hits and a walk in five innings--but managed to limit the damage to just two runs while striking out four, helped tremendously by three double plays. Brandon Kintzler continues to impress, striking out two in the 9th for his third save. Old friend Vinny Rottino, newly arrived from AAA, was the Suns' starting catcher.

Huntsville play-by-play

Nice start for the Stars:

Huntsville Bottom 1st

• Lorenzo Cain walks.
  • Brett
    Lawrie triples (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Lorenzo Scott.
    Lorenzo Cain scores.
  • Caleb Gindl grounds out, second baseman
    Tim Torres to first baseman Lee Mitchell. Brett Lawrie scores.
  • Jonathan
    Lucroy singles on a ground ball to left fielder Brandon Tripp.
  • Taylor
    Green singles on a ground ball to center fielder Lorenzo Scott.
    Jonathan Lucroy to 2nd.
  • With Zelous Wheeler batting, passed
    ball by Vinny Rottino, Jonathan Lucroy to 3rd. Taylor Green to 2nd.
  • Zelous
    Wheeler strikes out swinging.
  • Chris Errecart flies out to
    right fielder Mike Stanton.

It wasn't just double plays bailing Bowman out; he also helped himself:

Jacksonville Top 2nd

• Brandon Tripp singles on a ground
    ball to right fielder Caleb Gindl.
  • Vinny Rottino doubles (1)
    on a fly ball to right fielder Caleb Gindl. Brandon Tripp to 3rd.
  • Tim
    Torres called out on strikes.
  • Jose Rosario strikes out
    swinging.
  • Lorenzo Scott grounds out, second baseman Brett
    Lawrie to first baseman Chris Errecart.

On a seperate but exciting note, Hecky was hitting 97 on the stadium gun during his last outing.
Makes me wonder about whether the gun really is hot. I know it was last year, but that would mean Heckathorn was possibly touching 100 while Odorizzi was in the low- to mid-90s. Heckathorn was reputed to touch 98 or 99 last year at Kennesaw State, and Odorizzi is/was of course "projected to add velocity as he fills out"™, but those numbers would nevertheless be surprising. The alternative, however, is dismal: Arnett really was throwing 86-90 in his first start. Who knows--maybe these are readings from different guns that I'm conflating.
When

does Jeffress come back and will he be starting? Was it early May or

June?

He had 36 games left on his suspension at the beginning of the year, and the Manatees have played 10 games, so he has 26 games remaining. That makes him eligible to return May 16th against Palm Beach.

is anybody concerned with arnett's start?

Only if it ultimately hurts his confidence. Heckathorn threw many more innings than Arnett in college, he's probably the more advanced pitcher of those 2 at this time. I just think the organization was too aggressive with Arnett, I think it's pretty obvious they are trying to push him, he's the only draftee from last season not in a piggy back while pitchers that have been in the system longer like Odorizzi are piggy backing. As long as Arnett's velocity is still there I'm not overly concerned, I keep going back to Tunnell's comments about Arnett... he's just not very polished and I think the results bear that out. Assuming good health and continued confidence Arnett should get better as the season progresses.

With Howell's limited experience as a pitcher I'm not sure that WI was the best fit for him either. Actually while I'm thinking about the pitching in WI I was pretty sure the ship had sailed on Nieves as a starting pitcher as well, I'm still shocked he's in the rotation. I'm curious if Adams' issues have anything to do with Nieves, he should be back fairly soon as a starting pitcher,

Jeffress won't be back until sometime in May.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived