Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-16 Brewers (Gallardo) at Nationals (Lannan), 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3]

Is it that hard to find a competent manager?
Apparently it might be for Doug Melvin. Macha still has alot of games left this season to prove or disprove his compentency, but I'm beginning to have serious doubts

I mean seriously, would you want Macha making late inning decisions in a playoff game?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Augie i agree it seems like everything Salary based and it cost Setter a spot and Hawkins with his salary took over the role as set up man even though Coffey was super in that role. I would hope Prince finally gets hot cause it seems like he is pushing to hard.

Macha has to go, his decision making sucks. As stated earlier he's horrible for a young team. And remembering the wonderful things McClung had to say about him in the interview that was posted here this offseason. I think alot was left unsaid by McClung and this team doesn'l like Macha and he isn't getting what he should be from anyone. Not sure how much more of this I can take.

dlk9s[/b]]I'm frustrated with these late inning losses, too, but can someone honestly explain to me how blaming Macha for the bad 8th inning is anything but results oriented thinking?
I have to agree here. It's not the managers fault everytime a team loses. Hawkins actually pitched O.K. Over the course of the season I'm willing to bet he'll help us win more than he'll blow.

While it didn't affect the outcome, it does bother me that Kennedy (I think) was able to take second basically at will and scored that second run of the 8th. I want to say that's happened multiple times all ready this year, but maybe it just feels that way. I didn't actually see the game, can somebody tell me was there any attempt to hold him at 1st?

I'm not going to get on Hawkins for that inning. The only thing he did particularly wrong was hit a guy. There was an infield single (according to Gameday - correct me if I'm wrong there), a sac bunt, a grounder to first that Prince missed, a weak bouncer on a pretty good curveball, and a GIDP. So the Nats scored three runs and their best hit was a weak grounder.

I didn't like using Hawkins there and his command looked to be off, he did hit a batter. That said, i agree he caught zero luck that inning. Besides the hit batter, everything else was a seeing eye grounder hit/misplay by Prince.

I'll be a Brewer fan until the day I die, and I will cheer for them without exception the next 152 games, but I have to confess that this is the least fun first 10 games of the season I have watched in a long, long time.

I don't think the decisions were all that bad. The difference that I see between Yost and Macha is that when things go sour the former would looked peeved and try to do something about it (sometimes) while the latter just looks around the dugout with a dumb incredulous look on his face.

Seriously, tonight and in Chicago the other day, he had the look of, "who the . . ? What the . . . ? What am I supposed to do? I can't believe this is happening . . . ."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think it was that Coffey was so solid last year in the 8th and now they signed Hawkins Macha decided to put him in the set up role. There is no way tonight should have been Hawkins Inning after throwing 39 pitches in Chicago.
Prince makes that easy play and nobody makes a peep. C'mon guys.

Well, we sat out just beyond the left field pole, which turned out to be handy because some part of the park was blocking a lot of the rain from us. The novelty of being outdoors for a ball game again (first time for us since spring training 2007) helped dull the pain of the 8th inning a bit. I was a little irked to see Todd Coffey warming up once things began to unravel during Hawkins' stint.

Tip of the cap: there were quite a few Brewers fans. We didn't stand out at all. If FSWisconsin showed the two guys in straw sombreros, we were a few sections to their right. One of them had his sombrero on inside out late in the game - that's right, a rally sombrero.

All right, another chance in a little over 12 hours.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Reading through the thread, I'm surprised by all the heat Hawkins/Macha are taking and the relative free pass that Prince got. What a sad sack of baseball defense that was, just complete garbage. Fielder would be my goat of the game, no doubt. Absolute unacceptable trash.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

The novelty of being outdoors for a ball game again

The novelty would have worn out for me about 10 minutes into the rain.

Again, we somehow managed to pick a part of the ballpark that was relatively shielded from the rain. Plus the temperature was really nice (79 at game time, and it didn't drop much despite the rain). All of 17,234 paid to see that one.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived