Brewer Fanatic

Uecker's performance so far

nate82

I think it's a generation gap type thing. Not too long ago, you had to listen to the game to follow the team. There was no web, and only about 40 games a year were televised, if you were lucky.

So basically we have better avenues to keep track of the Brewers and Uecker has not caught up with the times. Maybe he would be better suited to be a TV guy. He wouldn't need to keep you appraised of the game situation since you can see it for yourself.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does he have a microphone in his ear so his crew can help him correct or add info when he misses it?
Yeah, Kent Summerfeld is in his ear most of the time, I believe.
I'm sure Uke has Sommerfeld in his ear, but that doesn't mean he actually pays attention to him. I say this because one inning he said the incorrect score multiple times and someone listening wouldn't have known the right score until they came back to the next half inning and he started off with the correct score. I'm at least assuming that Uke was ignoring Sommerfeld and not that Sommerfeld wasn't paying attention.

That is why another guy in the booth that has a microphone that can quickly correct Bob on how many outs and what the score is wouldn't hurt.

You guys that are complaining about Uecker must not have Xm and thus dont get a chance to listen to what some of these other annoucers sound like out there. Uecker is one of the best out there in my opinion.

There are a lot of slow innings over the course of a 162 game schedule. There is a LOT of air time to fill (especially when Doug Davis is pitching) - so if Bob rambles on once is a while in the early innings and isnt fully enganged in every pitch, that is fine with me. And I know that when something important is happening, he will be focused and letting me know everything I need to know...

Well said bcf. I've listened to play by play across the country and haven't heard any better than Uecker. I think Provus does a great job also. My only complaint would be that the crew keep them on track when they miss something. It's a small item compared to their entertainment value overall.

Personally I am always shocked at the negativity towards our television guys. Bill Schroeder has been around for 15 years, becoming that usual voice on the television side. While he may not be the best baseball encyclopedia on the air, he definitely has that "Go Brewers" excitement. Vasgersian, Sutton, Anderson? We've been extremely blessed compared to some of the other teams who's television voices are just plain lousy.

I would say in Milwaukee it isn't too smart to talk negatively of Mr. Baseball. Sure he's never been the best play-caller but he does everything else as good, or better than anyone in baseball. Love the man.

Sat on the back porch last night and listened to the game. Once again, I thought he was wonderful at calling the game and entertaining between pitches. Listen to some other teams' radio broadcast. Almost all other are dull, dull, dull. Long breaks of dead silence. Mundane monotones from lifeless personalities. We are lucky to have such good broadcasters.

Archived