Brewer Fanatic

Uecker's performance so far

nate82
Bob is just not cutting it lately he has been messing up the score in the last couple of games. I think it is time for the Brewers to DFA Uecker. He is just getting way to old and I believe his age is showing right now with him making mistakes with the score. The Brewers should either trade or DFA Uecker. Does Uecker have any options left at this time?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ueck's play by play ability has been slipping for several years now. His STORYTELLING ability is still topnotch, but it's not unusual for him to miss most of the action in a given half inning anymore. It's still awesome to listen to Bob, but I'd really like to know what's going on in the game and Ueck waxes poetic more and more often these days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I do think Uecker has shown his age in the past couple years. But he still is better than our TV crew and MILES ahead of the ESPN crew...

I'm just worried that if we DFA him, he will spend a year in NY, then settle for the Twins. And chat rooms will be filled with love/hate messages for him and discussions on whether he is a traitor or not or ... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I was going to come home and post something about Uecker and this post was here. I listened to the entire game on the radio yesterday and 1/2 of the game today and can honestly say that I cannot stand listening to Ueck any longer. Seriously, he has really started to miss a ton of the action and his stories are getting confusing at times. Maybe it's time for the old boy to hang up the mic and do celebrity color appearances for a living...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

There is one reason I like listening to Uecker. Familiarity. He's the same guy I use to listen to in my room at home 30 years ago. It's a connection to my childhood. For that reason, it will be sad when he has to call it quits.

Other than that, I'll agree that his game calling is really not up to par.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ueck is still the man in my book. I will agree, however that he does ramble on about his stories a little often these days. Listening to him is kind of the equivalent to watching an NBA game. They don't play until the last few minutes and I don't think he really pays much attention until the last couple innings. He still conveys the energy and emotion very well which I think sets him apart from many of the rest.

i hope the "fans" don't start to boo him at Miller Park like they do for every player now:)

Ueck waxing poetic and telling stories, all the while being so-so on the playcalling, is how I became a baseball fan. i know a lot of people sit at home wanting every play so they can fill in a scoresheet, but i really enjoy that Ueck gives off the feeling of a guy who just plain enjoys watching a ballgame.

Miller Park has statues of Aaron and Yount, and I think it's about time they added a statue of Uecker, too.

For as long as I can remember Ueck hasn't been a great announcer. He fits more along the lines of "color commentary". But personally I never listened to Ueck for his great insight. For the reasons Patrick425 mentioned, number one. On top of that, the Ueckerisms, "How about that one?" and "Get up, get outta here, gone." Its the little things with him. I dont see him leaving until he retires, which probably wont ever happen. The Brewers will win the pennant this year and he'll die of a heart attack, thats about the only way I see him ever abandoning his post.

Uke has always been so-so at play calling. There's a few second delay when you hear the crowd noise and wonder what's happening. He more than makes up for it with the stories. He is still flat out hilarious and Corey makes a good Ed McMahon. I keep waiting for a big "Hey-O" from him.

I almost feel like Uke's been re-energized the last few years by having a better team to call for. I hope he announces as long as he can...for me, it's a little taste of home in a far away land.

Living out of state and having XM, I got say there is small list of great radio broadcasters these days. Unquestionably, despite the whining on this board (talk about taking a legend in your own backyard for granted), Uecker is the best listen in our division, and among a select group in all of baseball for the best in radio along with John Gordon, John Stirling, Vin Scully, Pat Hughes (who irritates me, but always keeps me informed about the game), Joe Castiligione, and John Miller (and I know I'm leaving out 2-3 others).

I dare anyone to listen to the Pirates radio team. Sometimes they mutter three words in an entire inning. And they both sound identical when they speak. I hate Milo Hamliton of the Astros (most overrated announcer in any sport). I can't stand the Redbird idiots, especially Shannon. I like Marty Brennaham, but all I can think of when I hear him speak is his annoying son Thom. Although I like Pat Hughes, I can't listen to him because of the Santo's snorts.

If I want a dry recitation of the box score, pitch by pitch, I can use my iPhone/computer. But a good radio guy brings verve/life/personality to this great game. Uecker does those things in spades. Bash him all you want, but we will all miss him beyond measure when he is no longer with us.

I agree with the Ignitor. Fans on this board seem to be experts in umpires and play-by-play announcers. What Bob does is what he has always done and it is what makes him great. I have never listened to a game and not known who was on base, what the count was and what the score was when he was calling it.

I'm just worried that if we DFA him, he will spend a year in NY, then settle for the Twins. And chat rooms will be filled with love/hate messages for him and discussions on whether he is a traitor or not or ... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Good to see i wasn't the only one who understood this thread.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

He is better than Ron Santo at least...

Dang it. You stole my line.

I travel the midwest quite a bit and people would be suprised how many different places have a station that carries the Cubs. I've found them in Central Minnesota, North Dakota and this week I've found them in Nebraska, fortunately. I think Pat Hughes is a very good announcer, but Santo, man . . . he's just strange. He mumbles in the background, and if something goes bad for the Cubs he'll blurt out, "Aw gee...c'mon on!" It's quite comical, actually.

As for Ueck, I've been listening to him since I was a kid back in the 70's. I don't listen to him as much anymore. But, once in a while when I'm out in the garage I'll turn him on while doing some work. I still love his home run call. Especially the walk off home run.

mto

I like Uke's random stories and mess ups. It's what keeps me laughing and entertained while listening to the games at work.

I also enjoy his 10 minute Usinger's ads. You can always tell when he's about to launch into one. For some reason when he reads all the sponsors at the beginning and end I enjoy that as well. Hardware Hank, Kapco, MENARDS, West Bend....

Ya seriously, let's get off our high horse here a bit. Ueck is a legend and one of the all time greats. Sure he might screw up here and there but so does every other announcer. It's bound to happen over 162 games. I really think you should not be critical of him because he doesn't have a ton of time left doing this and when he's gone you will be wishing he was here. Brewer games will never be the same after he's done. He brings great comedy, stories, calls of the game. I stop breathing when I hear "Swing and a drive to left center and deep....!" If you don't have fun and the ability to tell stories during a baseball game it would be very dry and hard to listen too.

It almost makes me sad to hear some of you get after him. Sometimes you need to think a little more before you write stuff on the web just to get a reaction.

Sure...every announcer screws up every now and then. But have you listened to a game this year? I have been on the road for nearly all of them and he has clearly lost it. The last few years it has been getting a little funny to hear him getting old. This year...he is just old. I love the guy as I have grown up listening to him but it is a relief to me this year when Cory gets an inning...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived