Brewer Fanatic

Somthing Positive - Pushing Weeks for All-Star Game

pebadger

Looking for something positive in a see of negative data, emotions and sliding expectations surrounding this team, I got to thinking that if Rickie can keep up what he's doing, maybe we can start a grassroots effort to push him toward a spot on the All-Star team. Sure, Utley will probably win the vote, but maybe a little positive vibe from this baord will help him get a selection. His OPS is 1.121 and he's playing good defense too.

Then I looked at the numbers. Rickie's OPS is currently only 4th for second basemen in the National League. Tough crowd.

I'm sure I'll feel better after Soup tosses a gem tomorrow night. Until then, keep up the good fight, Rickie.

I've been very encouraged by Weeks so far. He is being patient as far as taking his walks and hitting the hittable pitches that pitchers have been giving him. I'm expecting a big season out of Weeks provided he stays healthy.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If Rickie keeps doing what he is doing now...they can trade Prince and sign Rickie and get the great prospects that would inevitably for Fielder and be able to add later as well.

Yes, this is a long shot, but I believe that paying Prince a dollar over 18 million/year is too much no matter how you spin it.

I'd just like some shameless self-promotion here. I was the first person here to publicly claim/really believe that Rickie would be an all-star this year. As a person who is too often accused of being negative, instead of being realistic, I'd just like to say I've seen fewer players who work harder, who attempt to make real adjustments, and are as mindful as Rickie. I want a team of Rickies, if healthy, and wonder how far we'd go.

If Rickie keeps doing what he is doing now...they can trade Prince and sign Rickie and get the great prospects that would inevitably for Fielder and be able to add later as well.

Yes, this is a long shot, but I believe that paying Prince a dollar over 18 million/year is too much no matter how you spin it.

I am becoming a lot more comfortable with this idea. Remember when the original core prospects were on their way up Weeks was generally considered to have the greatest natural ability with projections of .300/30/100. Combining Braun and Weeks with the affordable talent of McGehee, Escobar, etc...may be the best chance to be competitive over the long haul. I know I'd rather be in contention yearly and never win the World Series than win one and go into oblivion for the next handful of seasons ala the 97 Marlins.

Back on topic, I love the way Rickie is playing the game and the enthusiasm he is bringing to the team. His reaction after the run scoring double in the 5th yesterday was awesome.

How about Casey? Isn't .304/.363/.509 as a Brewer with 18 HR and 71 RBI in 124 games worthy of All Star consideration?

If Casey continues hitting like he is so far this season, he certainly would be worth of All-Star consideration. I fear he is maybe still too much of an "unknown" across the league. Plus the fact that there are some pretty good 3Bs in the NL right now (Wright, Sandoval, Polanco, etc). Maybe he could make it as a reserve, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived