Brewer Fanatic

2010 Team Salary and In-Season Trades

I read this on MLBTR:

If Houston falls way out of it, Roy Oswalt could be made available, but it would be a massive PR hit. He's owed $31MM through 2011 with a $16MM option ($2MM buyout) for 2012, and would have to approve any trade. Dealing him would signify the start of a full rebuilding effort.

This got me to thinking, can the Brewers and their $82 million payroll even compete in this years trade market? I don't think then can take on a salary like Oswalt's. Unless come all-star break, we are still 1 pitcher away from being true World Series contenders, are in/near first place, have no injuries and are pulling in crazy attendance numbers; I just don't forsee them being able to take on salary like they have in previous years.

I have seen many posts that the Rangers have a window now and then again in 2-4 years. I think the Brewers are in a similar situation. They have a chance in the next 1.5 years with Prince. Post prince they will need a year or 2 to re-make a significant loss in the roster. So what do you think, do the Brewers have the money to make a mid season acquisition? (or even the prospects they would be willing to deal?)

I hope the Brewers do not make any deadline deals unless we're the team giving up the MLB piece for top prospects, hopefully 1 of them being of the starting pitching variety.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't see the Brewers making a deal for Oswalt. I don't see the Brewers giving up what would be needed to land Oswalt which would be something like Lawrie and Arnett plus a couple of lower prospects. The Astros are going to be looking to refill their very depleted minor league system if they decide to deal Oswalt and if Oswalt is dealt you can bet that Berkman will be more than likely traded also along with Lee if the Astros could find anyone to take Lee that is. All three of those players the Astros would be looking to get back at least 1 A type prospect and 1 type B prospect. I don't see the Brewers parting with the starting pitching in the minors that they would have to part with in order to get Oswalt. I would think if anything the Brewers would trade for someone who would be a slight upgrade someone like Arroyo, Harang, Ordonez, Webb, Pierzynski (I know I am dreaming right?), and some others who maybe available.

Harang or Arroyo are probably going to be the target for Melvin. If Hart and Edmonds flop and the Tigers are out of it maybe Magglio or DeJesus would make sense. I'm not sure what the Tigers would want in return for Magglio but it shouldn't be all that much for a 1/2 year rental maybe someone like Green plus a couple other prospects would work. Not sure what the Tigers would need in a return for Magglio.

I'm hoping they can find takers for Zaun and either Hawkins or Hoffman come July which is why Zaun needs to pick it up and Hawkins and Hoffman can't be tossing away games. Not only would unloading 2 of those guys relieve salary, it would open up jobs for the deserving Jon Lucroy, and any one of several relievers throwing lights out at Nashville now.

Really, your giving up on those 3 after 8 games? I think Zaun, Hawkins and Hoffman will all be helping us in the playoff race in August. I'd like to see the Brewers get Oswalt, but I think the Stro's will be asking for way more than he's worth. I'm hoping the Brewers make a run at a #3 guy like Chris Young or Aaron Harang.

I'm hoping the Brewers make a run at a #3 guy like Chris Young or Aaron Harang.
Ugh...I hope not. No offense, but we'd probably have to give up too much to even get those guys, and we have plenty of middle of the rotation types already. If anything, we're going to need a legit #1 starter to have any hope of making the playoffs, if Gallardo doesn't pick up his game.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would guess the Brewers might have $4-5 million of payroll flexibility at best this season to make a mid-season acquisition.
If that's literally a trade at the mid-point or later, then keep in mind that you're talking about a pitcher w/ $8-10M contract, not a $4-5M contract.

Millwood maybe a decent pitcher to pick up at the deadline he will only be owed about $9m. I'm not sure what the Orioles would want in return though. Millwood would be a 1-year rental and he shouldn't cost all that much. I don't see any #1 type pitchers who will be on the trade market this summer maybe Lee if the Mariners are out of it but I doubt the Mariners will give Lee up without asking for a lot of prospects in return.

Not really, Fielder' 2011 salary is likely already penciled in. The big issue is would you take Oswalt at that salary? Its close but he projects as a 3 win pitcher or so next year.

No probably not. He's already 32 and for some reason I can see him declining relatively soon. And since we won't really have any expensive dead weight contracts after this year, the only thing that would make it work is demanding that Houston eat some of his salary. I'm guessing they will be somewhat reluctant to to that with still having several other big money contracts to deal with (Lee in particular).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived