Brewer Fanatic

Plumbing Problems

InsomniacInkRoss

Help is needed.

Septic system, rarely used toilet/sink. Starting about two weeks ago the toilet wouldn't flush well (didn't matter what was in it, could be just water). You would have to wait an hour, the level would go down, then you could flush. It has gotten much worse sense. You can get maybe 1 flush a day in, then you have to wait a full day to have it flush properly again. When it does flush right, it spits a lot of bubbles up right before the water fills back in.

Also, when the sink in running, there are bubbles in the toilet as it drains. This has just started with the shower floor drain as well, which is now filling with water when you try to use sink/toilet.

Also, all our screen printing materials are washed down a drain from a different room. They are all listed as biodegradable and septic safe. This never slowed the system when done in the city of Franklin's non-septic system.

Help? I put a dose of Liquid Plumber gel down the shower drain thru standing water, with little to no effect. I have a bottle of CLR Septic Treatment I have not used yet.

I don't know anything about plumbing, but my boyfriend's dad told me never to use draino or anything like that - if your plumbing is clogged you've gotta take it apart and clean it or you're just delaying the inevitable.

Don't even know if that applies, but I figured I'd contribute. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

You can buy or usually rent a plumbing snake at your local hardware store. It's saved me many calls to the plumber in the past. Actually if you're in the fox valley, you can borrow my snake. PM if interested. No promises it'll fix your problem though.

I got to fix this kind of thing during the summers when I was in high school. Yay

for me. Sounds like probably tree roots or something, is it an older house with cast iron pipes?

You should run a "snake" down the main sewer line, or whatever main line the shower and toilet drain into. If you don't mind getting a little dirty you can buy a cheap one at Menards or Home Depot for maybe $20 or $30. Just run it down there and jerk it around real good, that'll probably help. Or you can hire a plumber and have them do it for you with a big machine that will do a much better job.

As for Draino, it'll work ok for very small things like a slow draining tub or something but this is clearly a main line problem. The stuff that works much better is the really hardcore stuff. I forget what it's called but it's a black liquid and the bottle is sold inside a plastic bag, and they have it at Menards.. But again, you need to actually clean out the main line.

All stuff sold in stores is wimpy crap if it's plugged. Unless you can get some good stuff in a catalog or from a plumber, it's a waste of time. That stuff at Menards in the black bottle is Liquid Plumr with a bit of lye. Good for a slow drain, a waste for a clog.

Archived