Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Coach

Hammer715
What are your thoughts on the pitching coach so far this year. He was suppose to be the savior but as it is looking so far it is not going so well. Are the players not coachable? Will it be bad before it gets better? In the start so far it appears that most of the pitchers are worse than last year, Yo, Wolf, Davis, Bush for the starters, Vargas, Hoffman for the bull pen.

Don't forget as well that both of the catchers are new.

While it's way too early to assign credit or blame, I think you at least have to provide the counterbalance that players like Villanueva, Hawkins, and Narveson are pitching well. Without stating the obvious, the guys who are throwing strikes are doing better than the pitchers who are getting behind in the count (Gallardo, Davis, even Hoffman). Unless Peterson is preaching for guys to fall behind the hitters early....I don't think you can put too much of the early performance on his shoulders just yet.

What are your thoughts on the pitching coach so far this year. He was suppose to be the savior but as it is looking so far it is not going so well. Are the players not coachable? Will it be bad before it gets better? In the start so far it appears that most of the pitchers are worse than last year, Yo, Wolf, Davis, Bush for the starters, Vargas, Hoffman for the bull pen.

Bush doesn't look worse than last year only giving up 4 runs to the Cardinals is not that bad. I don't see where Bush is worse than he was last year at this point.

I put nothing on his shoulders for good or ill no matter what this season. We were likely to get better as a pitching staff no matter who was brought in. A few bad games isn't likely to change my mind.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Can we please stop trying to analyze the team after 7 games. It is completely futile to make any judgments on any player on the team or the pitching coach at this point. It will take until at least May before you can make any real conclusions about anything.

It's a naughty word TLB!... which is why I wonder how he gets along with Davis, who tends to pitch from behind and issue a free pass instead of challenge a particular hitter. DD has said repeatedly that he'd rather walk a guy than serve up a meatball, which I never really understood, why does the pitch have to catch too much of the plate or be a ball? There's no in-between here? Whatever works for him I guess.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Way too early to pull this stuff out. First of all a pitching coach isn't a magician. He can't make a below average staff in to a top five staff. It's something that over time he can tweak but you can't make pete off the street in to a 4th starter. Give him a year or two and see what happens.

(edited 4-14)

I can't be a fourth starter? My main pitch is a gravity ball.

Can anyone really say how good Mike Maddux was? He was here for a long time. Seven games in, the interviews with various pitchers sound like they could be more than just the usual fluff. He's also heavily involved in keeping guys healthy with good mechanics. If that's effective it would be huge.

He also looks sleep deprived every time I have seen him. His interviews are a bit too media savvy to be interesting - too much happy positivity without much meat.

Formerly AKA Pete

I think his overall philosophy will be a good thing for the entire franchise long term. The thing that I liked the most about him was he brought a philosophy with him that the team wanted to implement throughout the organization anyway. If his way increases the pitching ability for the entire organization while simultaneously reducing injuries I'd even be ok if some of the current pitchers would do better with someone else though I doubt that will be the case. This was a hire with an eye to the long term future.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

These games are starting to feel all to familiar to me which makes me think it may be the players rather than the Peterson/Castro/Bosio trio.

The thing about the staff in general the past season +8 games this season is the way the games have been blown. It isn't just one guy blowing it, like Turnbow during his meltdown, but it's multiple guys. Hoffman twice against St. Louis, Hawkins against the Cubs, Gallardo and Davis in both starts this season...ugly, ugly pitching.

Yes it's early but man i hope we don't have another season of atrocious pitching.

Archived