Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Green vs Mat Gamel

paul253
I realize it's very early, but Taylor Green is off to a nice start offensively. He's in his second season at AA now and I don't see any reason for him to spend the entire year there. Mat Gamel had pretty much a lost year last year and needs solid at bats this year. So if Green is still hitting over .300 at the break with good secondary numbers, and Gamel still doesn't have a regular spot in Milwaukee, what do you do? I'd hate to keep Taylor Green in Huntsville all year because I think he deserves a chance to move up. So do you keep him in Huntsville? Do you move him up and let him play second base and keep Gamel at third? To you move him up to play third and have Gamel play first base or outfield?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd like to see what Green can do at 2B, myself. I think its a better chance that Gamel sticks at 3B than Lawrie sticks at 2B. But if both Weeks and McGehee continue playing as they have, both are blocked at current positions.

Perhaps a trade will work itself out. I'm thinking that Gamel's best chance to get to the MLB is with another team. Macha seemed to sour on him last year.

Well it seems that with Weeks and Lawrie at second, and McGehee, Green, and Gamel at third, something will have to be done. Only Weeks is approaching free agency and would leave the team in some other way than a trade, though I would like to him extended for a few more years. I think someone, either Gamel, McGehee or Lawrie moves to first, and there is also a chance Gamel could move to the outfield. Either way though, it looks like someone is going to have to go. I really like Taylor Green and think he'd be a great asset at the top of the lineup.

Lawrie doesnt really have the mobility for 2b either, or the glove, or footwork.

When all is said and done, Lawrie will most likely be headed for RF. He's still at least 2 years away from MLB playing time.

As for the Green/Gamel comparison, Green is probably better defensively, but his bat doesnt have as much upside as Gamel's has or had. Dont forget that although he's having a nice start, Green is also repeating a level he has already played.and is in his 5th season of minor league ball. E.g. I wouldnt read too much into his numbers at this point. If his power comes back and he keeps the strikeouts down and the walks up, hes probably a candidate for the roster in 2011.

From what I've read, I would groom Green for the rare Loretta/Hall/Figgins-type role. Figure 25-35 starts per year at 3b, 25-35 per year at 2b. McGehee seems to be legit. Gamel may likely move to 1b in a year or so (still lots of options left).

all in all i think we have a fairly good problem with the infield with all players mentioned above. i wouldnt be surprised to see mcgehee at first, weeks at second, escobar at short, and green at third and gamel in right and lawrie, ? i know its not perfect and we lose pop in the order, but i wouldnt feel terrible about that infield.

There was once a time we had about one prospect per position, and usually they don't all pan out (injuries, loss of production, trades, etc) so having several guys who could step in is a good thing. Their health, production, time and other teams' needs will sort this out -- between if (Farris, Green, Gamel, Lawrie, and then lower levels Prince and Gennett) and c (Salome/ Lucroy and lower ?Zarraga, Garfield) and now OF (Lawrie if not at 2b, Kentrail Davis, Cain, Shafer). I like this better than praying that our (insert position)-of-the-future actually makes it. This is kind of a reply to both this and the "Lack of Impact Bats" thread.

Archived