Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee thus far.

Invader3K

I thought it would be nice to talk about one of the brighter spots on the team, despite the 3-4 start on the season.

I realize it's just been one week into the season, but McGehee seems like he is continuing on his astounding 2009 campagin. In just over 25 ABs, he's putting up a .346/.414/.692/1.106 line. He already has a couple dingers too. Obviously, he won't keep those numbers up all season, but I can't help but think he's going to avoid the "sophomore slump" that many were predicting. His swing and approach at the plate seem impeccable right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I find it surprising how far some of his HRs go without a big swing. That game winner was about 10 rows into the upper deck. His defense was solid against the Cards as well.
Formerly AKA Pete

It would definitely be nice if he can continue to be a productive big leaguer, and it's great to see him getting off to a good start this year. I think things will play out with Fielder, Weeks, Gamel, Lawrie, etc, and there will be playing time for all of the players left. Hopefully, McGehee can remain a solid 3B for the Brewers for the next 4-5 years, solidifying one position while shifts occur elsewhere.

It makes it even better that we stole him from the Cubs for nothing :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I felt there were 2 huge question marks in the line-up coming into the season (Gomez, Escobar) and three others that were lessor question marks (Hart, McGehee,Weeks (only because of the injury) SO FAR, it looks like 3 of the 5 have been answered. Gomez is what I feared he would be, but Weeks and McGehee have looked very good. They need either Hart or Escobar to be a productive hitter, and then they should score enough runs most nights.

McGehee is especially important though, because he'll have a ton of RBI opportunities in the 5 hole. Haven't looked at his splits, but the good news is he seems to hit RHP just fine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He has such a compact, efficient swing that it appears to be "slump proof". The power is what has shocked me thus far in his short career. That came out of nowhere last year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

As one of the few non-doubters I will refrain from the obvious "I told you so" as its still very early. But I think some get caught up in minor league/amateur pedigree of guys as the sole predictor of major league success. Numbers don't tell the whole story on players. Intangibles such as attitude and work ethic figure prominently in ultimate success at the highest level.

McGehee is showing no signs of forgetting what got him here. He's a perfect fit for this team and this city. I've been critical of Melvin at times, but he deserves a lot of credit for claiming McGehee. I'm a big fan of Casey.

I'm very happy to see early indications that Casey is not a "one year wonder" but will refrain from getting too excited in this small sample period after getting snake-bit by the likes of Bill Hall and others. I remain optimistic about Mr McGehee. I agree with homer that Casey's swing looks slump-proof, I'm more concerned about his durability

Casey was considered at least average on defense and many people thought his poor defense last year was the result of his bad knee. Whether or not he can keep up the power numbers is the question.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Gamel/McGehee situation will be very competitive, no doubt. I don't think either of them are moved (position or location) mid-season, but by next offseason a decision will have to be made. We'll certainly see what they're made of when Gamel gets healthy and starts competing Casey for playing time.

I just think it's a joy watching a hitter who shoots it to rightfeld on the outside pitch, pulls the inside pitch, and hits it up the middle on something down the middle. It's like watching an entirely baseball in the fifties or earlier. Good for him.

Archived