Brewer Fanatic

The "Narveson to the Rotation" thread

brewtown82

my concern with Davis is his velocity. Gameday showed him at 84 mph on his fastball today. Last time with the Brewers he was hitting 88-89. Additionally, early in the game he threw a number of cutters and curves that Gameday showed as strikes, only they were called balls. We can't keep having our pitchers getting squeezed on good pitches (Yo Saturday, Davis today)

It's going to have to get real ugly real quick for Narveson to get put in the rotation before he's no longer stretched out. Remember this is the same organization that didn't want to pull the plug on Turnbow until a he couldn't finish a game in 2008 against the Cubs after he allowed the last 6 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks in a 19-5 loss. It was obvious he was done before that outing but they made him suffer through that mess before they mercifully DFA'd him the next day.

With the wind expected to be howling out at Wrigley on Thursday, we could see a line from Suppan of similar epic futility considering he was roughed up by guys in their first week above rookie ball in his last start. It was telling that Parra wasn't used today. I think they fully expect him to be needed by 3rd inning Thursday.

The whole Suppan being the named the number 5 starter thing is ridiculous.

With the wind expected to be howling out at Wrigley on Thursday, we could see a line from Suppan of similar epic futility considering he was roughed up by guys in their first week above rookie ball in his last start.

If the wind is blowing out it will be obvious none of the HR were legit therefore Suppan is still a good starter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree that Narveson deserves to be in the starting rotation, and the person who least deserves to be there is Suppan. The two pitchers who will be on the roster past this season are being misused in the 'pen, while washed-up Suppan gets to start. It appears that Narveson has taken over Stetter's role as primary LOOGY, while Stetter gets little work and Parra gets none. I share Briggs' concern that they will keep Suppan in the rotation too long, and by the time they pull the plug on him, Parra and Narveson will no longer be stretched out to start games. I don't believe that the Brewers would go through all of this rigamarole only to bench Suppan after one start. He'll be there far too long, maybe even all season if he shows any sign of life at all, and it will hurt us.

As for Davis, he said this spring that he gets worried when his fastball is in the 87-89 range, as "that's hitting speed," and he feels he needs to throw his fastball "slower than hitting speed" in order for him to be effective. I haven't been able to watch his starts, so I don't know the problem. If it's wildness, hopefully he'll be able to get that figured out pretty quickly. He's got a pretty good track record, so I'm not too concerned about him yet.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It appears that Narveson has taken over Stetter's role as primary LOOGY, while Stetter gets little work and Parra gets none.

Actually, Stetter has been used as the LOOGY - one batter and done. Narveson has been used in multiple batter/multiple inning situations. Parra is the eat-some-innings-because-we-are-way-behind guy. Doesn't look like Macha has any confidence in Parra at this point...

But I agree that Suppan should be in Parra's current role, Parra in Narveson's and Narveson's in Suppan's role as starter.

One way to think about it is that the Brewers/Macha don't have any confidence in Parra. Another way is that they're keeping Parra stretched out somewhat behind-the-scenes to take over for Suppan if he falters (I was very tempted to put when instead of if).

It seems plausible that the Brewers didn't like the idea of upping Narveson's IP to the extent it would be if he was in the rotation. I wouldn't mind it much if he is being groomed for Davis' spot next year (and potentially sooner) along with Parra taking over for Suppan any time now.

I don't think Macha is willing to use Parra in the middle of an inning. He is looking for spots where Parra can come in and pitch a full inning regardless of whether he stinks or not. Those spots aren't always common.

Not really worried about Doug Davis at all, he just has location issues like 1/4 of the pitchers in baseball do every April. He is nothing special but I don't think expectations should be changed by 2 bad starts.

I think fleehaw is onto something. Narveson seems to be a integral part of the bullpen, where Parra is a stater-in-waiting. It's early yet, but Manny's doesn't seem expected to be prepared to pitch every other day like a typical reliever. He's probably going to do a lot of side sessions and be Suppan's backup every 5th day.

I don't think Macha is willing to use Parra in the middle of an inning. He is looking for spots where Parra can come in and pitch a full inning regardless of whether he stinks or not. Those spots aren't always common.

Not really worried about Doug Davis at all, he just has location issues like 1/4 of the pitchers in baseball do every April. He is nothing special but I don't think expectations should be changed by 2 bad starts.

Doug Davis (Baseball-reference.com) splits by month below. ERA is the highest in April. Although his WHIP is only slightly higher (insignificant) than at other parts fo the year. I think he will bounce back with a few good starts. Back on topic, Narveson, should be in the rotation!!!

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
April/March 13 18 .419 5.00 42 41 1 1 1 0 232.0 246 139 129 32 123 6 170 7 2 5 1047 1.591 6.6 1.38
May 15 24 .385 4.40 50 49 0 2 1 0 286.2 307 157 140 29 123 3 172 6 2 16 1272 1.500 5.4 1.40
June 15 13 .536 3.92 44 43 0 0 0 0 255.0 269 120 111 23 117 2 203 12 1 9 1121 1.514 7.2 1.74
July 14 13 .519 4.30 52 41 3 0 0 0 272.1 272 140 130 30 131 7 226 3 1 12 1196 1.480 7.5 1.73
August 18 16 .529 4.39 54 50 0 2 0 0 309.2 310 162 151 32 132 6 225 4 4 10 1332 1.427 6.5 1.70
Sept/Oct 15 14 .517 4.13 49 47 0 2 1 0 283.1 308 139 130 29 115 2 221 7 0 10 1253 1.493 7.0 1.92

SHARESHARE [X] · CSV · PRE · LINK

It's going to have to get real ugly real quick for Narveson to get put in the rotation before he's no longer stretched out. Remember this is the same organization that didn't want to pull the plug on Turnbow until a he couldn't finish a game in 2008 against the Cubs after he allowed the last 6 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks in a 19-5 loss. It was obvious he was done before that outing but they made him suffer through that mess before they mercifully DFA'd him the next day.

With the wind expected to be howling out at Wrigley on Thursday, we could see a line from Suppan of similar epic futility considering he was roughed up by guys in their first week above rookie ball in his last start. It was telling that Parra wasn't used today. I think they fully expect him to be needed by 3rd inning Thursday.

The whole Suppan being the named the number 5 starter thing is ridiculous.

Yes! Parra and Suppan are merely a piggy-backed 5th starter, just like in the minors.

Thanks for the discussion guys, glad to see i'm not the only one here. I am all about using who's effective, and Suppan has been anything but. Davis I'm willing to wait and see on, but let's get Narveson in there!

Narveson pitched again today. We've been seeing an awful lot of him so far. Does anyone else get the feeling that he's being "auditioned" for a permanent role on this team?

I'd like to hope the organization has settled on keeping him around, but every time he pitches I feel like he's pitching for his job, a job that they'd love to give back to Stetter. Just a feeling, though. Nothing to back that up.

They've been throwing Narveson out there an awful lot. A talented arm like that with starting potential shouldn't be getting used up in multiple short inning or glorified LOOGY appearances.

And now Parra is getting used in short 2 out appearances, too

Do we even have a long relief guy right now? I suppose Parra and Narveson are theoretically still stretched out enough to go multiple innings, but right now the Brewers bullpen looks completely mismanaged

Narveson has now walked more batters than he's struck out. He's given up 9 runs in 10 innings. His first couple outing were impressive, but since then it's been 1 or more runs allowed every appearance. He is quickly pitching himself off the team.

Narveson has now walked more batters than he's struck out. He's given up 9 runs in 10 innings. His first couple outing were impressive, but since then it's been 1 or more runs allowed every appearance. He is quickly pitching himself off the team.
I'm not sure he is pitching himself off the team, but he sure is not making a case to be the 5th starter. If they decide to kick Suppan out of that role looks like Parra will get the nod.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived