Brewer Fanatic

Brendan Katin

jdoz

Brendan Katin is officially on fire.

Yes, it's only 4 games. However, the biggest knock against him, his patience, is looking much improved with 4 BB's already.

Obviously his power continues to be ridiculous with a league-leading 3 HR's already, a league-lead in slugging, and 2nd place in OPS. Oh, and he had an outfield assist yesterday too just for kicks.

If he can keep his BB's up this guy should finally get his shot with the big boys. Edmonds/Hart/Gerut in RF are arguably the weakest position on the team, Katin could add a threat out there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From our Nashville thread --

Outfielder Adam Stern, who played so well during exhibition season for the Brewers, suffered an oblique strain in his second game with Class AAA Nashville and went on the disabled list. He was replaced on that roster by catcher Patrick Arlis.

Stern's injury leaves Nashville with only three healthy outfielders - Trent Oeltjen, Brendan Katin and Norris Hopper.

Look, doesn't it make too much sense to just give Carlos Gomez the AAA development time he obviously needs, add Brendan Katin to the 40-man roster, have him be the badly needed right-handed bench bat, and allow Edmonds / Gerut / Hart to be your CF-RF combo?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But would Katin really play at the MLB right now? Its not like Hart is playing poorly. Katin can't play CF.

Nor would it help Nashville's OF limit right now. I would expect Cain to promote up from AA to fill the need at AAA (irregardless of the Gomez/Katin exchange).

Brewer Fanatic Staff
But would Katin really play at the MLB right now? Its not like Hart is playing poorly. Katin can't play CF.

Nor would it help Nashville's OF limit right now. I would expect Cain to promote up from AA to fill the need at AAA (irregardless of the Gomez/Katin exchange).

In my scenario, Edmonds / Gerut cover their natural CF position, Corey plays nearly every day, and Katin is your bench bat, occasional RF starter against lefties. The only issue would be that you couldn't go with an all-RF outfield against very tough lefties.

So you want to give Katin the Gamel treatment? He is hot, so bring him up to sit?

Too early anyway to tell anything by 10-20 ABs...

I'm all for it if Hart struggles for the next 2-3 weeks and Katin still looks good (all three of the 3TO). But not just to come up and sit.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
So you want to give Katin the Gamel treatment? He is hot, so bring him up to sit?

Too early anyway to tell anything by 10-20 ABs...

I'm all for it if Hart struggles for the next 2-3 weeks and Katin still looks good (all three of the 3TO). But not just to come up and sit.

No Gamel treatment, because Katin is 27 years old, is not going to be a long-term starter, etc. Apples and oranges when compared to Gamel. Plus, Braunie would simply be happy to be with his U. of Miami buddy, who he knows has ridiculous strength. Katin would be our Nick Stavinoha, minus the emergency catcher gear.

Id love to send Gomez down at least long enough to delay is FA by another year, or longer if he can learn to stop being such a hacker. The thing about promoting Katin, even to sit and PH, is that like Mass said, he is 27 years old and was never considered a prospect, so you arent really stunting him like you would Gamel if Gamel were up and on the bench.

Yea, if he keeps this up for another month or half season, I could see the Brewers making the call. He seems to be a very similar player to Nelson Cruz. Their career paths aren't too different either.
I know what you are saying, but I disagree.

Katin:

age 25 AAA- .856 OPS

age 26 AAA- .804 OPS

career minor league BA- .269

career minor league OBP- .333

career minor league steals- 20

Cruz:

age 25 AAA- .907 OPS

age 26 AAA- 1.125 OPS

career minor league BA- .297

career minor league OBP- .369

career minor league stolen bases- 106

Cruz was a much better hitter, he hit for a much better average (important for the transition to MLB for high strikeout players (Cruz actually struck out less than Katin too)), he had a better OBP (even if you adjust for the difference in BA's) and was/is a better athlete. Katin's best tool defensively is his arm but Cruz also has an excellent arm and is great defensively in general. I like Katin but I don't see him being equivalent to Nelson Cruz, except in the sense of being relatively old and still in AAA.

If Gomez were to play his way down to Nashville, I'd think you'd see either Stern (assuming he's healthy) or Norris Hopper (he of the .316 career major league BA) before you'd see Katin because in part both of those guys can play CF. Katin's never shown enough power to overcome his lack of contact and discipline skills over a full season. One week is one week.

Another HR for Katin last night.

Following this Brewers-Cubs game, man, how badly do this RF squad have to play to warrant a shot?? Gerut 0/3 today with a .143 avg. so far.

Id love to send Gomez down at least long enough to delay is FA by another year, or longer if he can learn to stop being such a hacker.
Gomez would have to go down pretty soon and stay down almost the whole season to gain a year of service time. He had 2 years 141 days of service time coming into this year. He only needs 31 days of service time this year to get up to 3 years. May 6th(I believe) is when he will have 3 years in. Gerut is probably our best CF option so I really wouldn't have a problem with Gomez going down other than seeing Edmonds in Cf every day because Macha thinks he is a good CF.

how badly do this RF squad have to play to warrant a shot?

Hart and Edmonds have been hitting really well when in RH this year. .300/.382/.467/.849 is our current line in RF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Following this Brewers-Cubs game, man, how badly do this RF squad have to play to warrant a shot?? Gerut 0/3 today with a .143 avg. so far.

Roster decisions should be made on talent, not results from a tiny handful of PAs. Gerut has posted a career OPS v. RHP over .800 & is a solid defender. I'm guessing Katin could do neither. There are a lot of guys in AAA that hit the pitching there well, and just aren't that special when it comes to MLB. Katin could be a bench bat to face LHP, but I seriously doubt he would be a positive in any bigger role than that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Katin could be a bench bat to face LHP, but I seriously doubt he would be a positive in any bigger role than that.

Well-stated, TLB, as my implication was that Gomez would benefit from the AAA time, that the Brewers had CF/RF well-covered, and that Katin's bench role as a RH power stick would fill a hole on the big league roster. No one has suggested that Katin be brought up to make significant starts, so that shouldn't be part of the discussion.

Katin's career OPS in the Minors is just .824 , the biggest problem has been his OBP, (just .305 last year in AAA) ... in the small sample of this year, yes he has 4 HR's and a OPS of 1.056 , but his BA is just .231 , which indicates that he is finally learning how to take his walks and find a way on base. I'd like to see him continue to work on that for at least half a season before he faces MLB pitching

His patience improved from '08 to '09 as well. I hope it continues to improve beyond that this season. I have little doubt he's about ready to be a backup OF & pinch-hitter against lefties. I think Mass Haas has a good idea in swapping Gomez for Katin so Carlos can work on his swing in Nashville. However, that leaves the MLB outfield defense a bit lacking. Although, I suppose as long as Gerut got a good amount of playing time, things would be ok. Unfortunately that would appear to take some doing with Macha.

Katin is an AAAA player.

The fact that he is 27 and in his 3rd go round in AAA is evidence of that.

I agree, Casey McGehee has been in AAA for a couple years now and.....oh....wait....wrong guy.

Seriously, I doubt that Katin's going to ever be an everyday big leaguer, but before we call a guy a AAAA player, doesn't he have to get a chance to play in the big leagues?

Frankly, whatever it takes to get Gomez some AAA AB's so maybe he can figure it out and be that incredible player for us that his talent would suggest cause a sub .300 OBP just ain't gonna do it from a guy with very little power. I love everything that Gomez could potentially be, but lets try and do everything we can as an organization to help facilitate that. If that means calling up Katin for now, Hopper, anyone pretty much short of Cain or Gindl from the AA or AAA rosters just to send Gomez down.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...
Verified Member
Katin seems to have recovered well from his recent knee troubles. Dude is raking again. Interesting to see if he finally gets a shot as a big bat off the bench.

The Brewers could certainly use a bench bat to face lefties. The only problem I see is that he'd have to supplant someone in the outfield. I'm a believer in Jody Gerut, but he would seem to be the odd man out in this scenario. Maybe Melvin could find something for him via trade (who knows).

Ok, I'm going to say it. After being a big Hart supporter, I'd like to see Hart traded and Katin given a chance.

This season is toast and while I think Hart is a good MLB player, I don't see a future for him with the Brewers. Would be nice to see if Katin can be something in the MLB...

Archived