Brewer Fanatic

Let's talk Hoffman

BadgerFan
Community Moderator

So realizing someone cannot do their job anymore translates directly into not liking that person.

Well, when you repeatedly comment on it in a particularly vicious way and immediately put down those who disagree with your assessment, it strongly indicates a dislike of a guy or at least a lack of objectivity.

Maybe that's not your intention, but that's how it comes across.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I obviously cannot control how people form their perceptions or interpret my argument or determine how "nonobjective" said argument is (although I am not sure how nonobjective being the worst relief pitcher in baseball could be). I am done commenting in this thread, you're welcome (believe me I heard the "thank you"). There's nothing left to discuss here anyway, its a closed case and has been for weeks. Last one gone turn off the lights.

From Haudricourt's latest blog entry. I think this offers a glimmer of hope for fans (if any) hoping Hoffman can regain his previous form:

All Macha would say is Hoffman is done for now because he's going in the

repair shop. Macha said pitching coach Rick Peterson has some new

scouting data and info that shows Hoffman is in need of a mechanical

adjustment in his delivery. Macha said Hoffman has lost his arm slot and

is coming too much over the top, stopping his pitches from moving as he

wants and affecting his location.

Macha, Peterson and Hoffman met for several minutes in Macha's office

this afternoon to discuss the situation. Macha said Hoffman expressed

regret for the damage he has done to the team by blowing five saves in

10 chances.

"He's sorry he's creating a lot of lost sleep for a lot of people,"

said Macha. "He's a pro's pro. He wants to do what he can to help the

team. He wants to get straightened out."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I obviously cannot control how people form their perceptions
Don't worry about it, sheethead. 99.9% of people reading your statements wouldn't have taken them for anything more than they were, fervent concern that a suddenly incompotent player was hurting the team's ability to win. I don't know how this could be interpreted any other way and thought to have anything to do with liking/not liking the guy.

For instance, Jeff Cirillo is maybe my favorite Brewer ever. If he tried to make a comeback and looked silly his first 15 ABs, I'd be calling for the team to end the madness. If he was out there crapping it up for another 15 ABs I'd be even more animated about it. Wouldn't have anything to do with liking or not liking the guy.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Community Moderator

f he tried to make a comeback and looked silly his first 15 ABs, I'd be calling for the team to end the madness

And I'm sure that would be greeted with the same concerns about how small a sample size you're basing that opinion on. If you increased your claims over the next 15 AB's and were brazen and almost intentionally mean about it, it would cause people to wonder about your motivation, regardless of how you intended it, as previously mentioned.

great article! I think the author makes a very good point in this paragraph:

If Hoffman is not hurt, I have no idea how a Hall of Fame pitcher

suddenly loses the movement on two of his pitches for an entire inning.

He must [/i]have realized what was happening, because he has a

perfect view. I can understand location problems. I can understand

mechanical problems leading to inconsistency. However, this is a

complete mystery to me. Age doesn't account for this, unless his memory

is failing so badly that he suddenly forgot how to throw his two main

pitches. I don't think I have ever [/i]seen a meltdown of this

proportion; Hoffman went from pitching master to pitching novice in just

a few days.

An affirmation that this isn't just Hoffman "being old" and that the Brewers "had this coming" by signing him. This is a freak occurrence, and it's likely that even a professional pitching coach had no idea what the heck was going on with his pitcher. Here's hoping they can find some way to help him.

That is a great article, relative to explaining the what. Now, Trevor just needs to figure out the why. Obviously this could be a case of 42 years catching up with him, but I continue to have strong doubts about that. This is supposed to be Peterson's specialty, so hopefully that helps solve the problem, (and didn't create it).

He had a save in San Diego, and the wheels fell off after that. So I wouldn't get too giddy about one good performance. I actually think an 8th inning role for Hoffman would be a nice fit if he embraces that. He'll still get some save opportunities throughout the year. It's a long season, maybe he gets the closer role back at some point, but I don't think he should close just because he has two or three solid outings in the 8th.

I wish I could believe that Macha would use Trevor in save situations where he'd be facing the bottoms of batting orders, but I really doubt I can expect that. I'd love to see Hoffman used that way just to get him to #600 or #601 so we can stop worrying about him as someone with magical 'Closing Ability' & just figure out who our best RPs are & then use them as such.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Except that Hoffman has been lit up by the bottom of batting orders already this year. Those are the games you have to win. A lead in the 9th with their bottom of the order up. i want to leave no doubt. Let Ax Man or Braddock blow those guys away and win the game. For that matter, Chris Smith has been outstanding in the closer's role in Nashville, yet he's mot ever even mentioned as an arm that could help out in the Brewers' bullpen. And then there's Riske...

I hope Axford remains the closer all season. He has great stuff and his 97mph fastball could be even more useful closing out games. Axford just has to maintain his command and poise that we have seen in his last few games and he will be a productive closer for us.

He had a save in San Diego, and the wheels fell off after that. So I wouldn't get too giddy about one good performance.

But didn't he get lucky on some hard hit balls in that one, while yesterday he was fooling the batters? (I did not see either of those performances, but that seems to be what I read about them)

I'd rather have Hoffman be the "closer" given that this means he gets the defined role of collecting saves and that is pretty much the only times he is used. This allows at least the potential that there can a little more flexibility in the use of the rest of the bull pen. As an older guy, he probably benefits more from that. Also, if he has actually returned to form, maybe they get something for him in July (assuming the Brewers are still out of it, as expected).

Archived