Brewer Fanatic

Beat the Streak -- Minor League Style; Latest -- Congratulations to our Winner!

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Many of you are familiar with MLB.com's online game "Beat the Streak", but does everyone realize there is also a minor league version?

Here's what we're proposing -- we'll have a Brewerfan contest to see which fan here compiles the longest streak of the season!

MiLB.com's longest streak ever is 33 -- someone here can beat that! (The all-time real-life streak is 61!)

We will purchase the winner a top-o'-the-line Brewer affiliate cap of their choice, and we'll see if we can get a player or two to sign the cap for you (we'll send it out to the Brewers for September instructionals or something like that, we haven't asked, but we're sure the Crew's front office could work that out for us -- at least we're hopeful http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.)

The main prize, however, would be bragging rights for a full year and a chance to defend your crown in 2011.

Of course, the caveat is, every single day, your selection must be a Brewer farmhand, obviously! If there is an extremely rare day (maybe around the All-Star break) when no Brewer affiliate plays, you can pick a former Brewer farmhand -- just kidding, you can (and must) pick any other minor league baseball player.

Keep in mind the rules as pointed out at the link above. If you forget to pick even a single day, your streak will end. You can pick in advance, and you can change your advance pick in case of injury or such, but be careful. Weekday games on the East Coast can start as early as 8:30 AM Central time, so picks can get locked in very early.

Will you pick Brett Lawrie on the rare day he's rested? That's OK, you're safe.

Will you pick Kentrail Davis on a day he walks twice, is HBP, and slugs a sac fly? That's OK, you're safe.

Will you be checking weather reports now? See, you didn't think of that, did you? This is serious stuff! Don't worry, you're safe.

Please check out all the rules here -- hopefully suspended games won't cloud your streak -- head hurts regarding those.

IMPORTANT: Lots of minor league doubleheaders, right? Avoid them! In order to get credit for the day, your player must take part in both games, and get hits in each, and you only get credit for one day on your streak! Avoid doubleheaders!

Who will be rooting for extra innings when a long streak is on the verge of ending? Plan ahead for those vacations, honeymoons, etc.

You need to set up an MLB.com free account to play (it's no big deal, the process walks you through it).

Go ahead and post in this thread if you think this is a fun idea, and if you think you'll be taking part. We know there are many lurkers here, and you don't need to post to tell us you're participating.

I've thought about how we can have discussion on this. Keep in mind what we're describing below may change.

We're not a huge fan of pinned threads, but we're leaning on keeping this thread pinned all season as your reminder to make your daily pick. That would make five pinned threads here in the Minor League Forum, and we promise we'll cap it at that.

Except for your initial post here indicating that you plan on participating (keep in mind that many will participate without letting us know right away), please don't deluge us with posts about who your pick is when your streak is only a few games old.

We're going to set an arbitrary cap for now of 15 games -- in other words, don't come here and gloat about your streak until it's reached 15 games. Then let us know and we'll root you on with possible selections (or try to fake you out with false info) -- nah, we're all rooting for each other.

What you can do, however, is share your painful "how my streak ended" story -- if it's a decent story, only, please! It could be how a guy was robbed by a home run to end your streak, or how your dog distracted you and you forgot to make your pick when your streak was at 32 games, etc.

So this thread will get a tad lengthy by season's end, but will hopefully also be entertaining. We hope that secretly Brewer players, media, front office staff, families, etc., will take part. Heck, didn't Adam McCalvy win the Final Four pool at Right Field Bleachers?

If you're simply not a fan of this concept, just try to avoid it altogether. Hopefully it won't lead you to the Minor League Forum when there are no other updates within this forum too often. We think after this first week or so, the volume of posts in the thread should lower quickly.

Again, if you're going to have something exciting to share about your streak extending or ending, please make it worthwhile -- what do they say? There's nothing more boring than hearing about someone's fantasy team, or Beat the Streak moment when their streak is at six, for instance.

MiLB.com tracks all your picks and allows you to view your history from the whole season. So we'll be able to verify who had the longest streak at season's end, you'll just need to provide us with your MLB ID and password (and you can always change it before giving it to us, and then change it back).

And as they say, anything we just typed above is subject to change.

Good luck, everyone, let's see how this experiment works out.

--Jim (Mass Haas)

Brewer Fanatic Staff
sounds fun, i'd be in. if nothing else it would help me learn the minor league system better than i do now. i didn't see a search for groups like there is in the mlb version though.

You'll need to know to click the proper league (Pacific Coast, Southern, Florida State or Midwest), then select your Brewer affiliate, then your player. In June Pioneer and Arizona will be available.

of course I'm in, should be fun.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Not that it's doing me a lot of good (my current streak is "1"), but something to consider -- you may want to use the scoreboard option off of MiLB.com to go to the next day's date and try to learn the identity of opposing starting pitchers. You can then click on the opponent's logo on that same page to go their roster page and determine if the guy is a lefty or righty. For instance, the Timber Rattlers face a southpaw Saturday night. This may be more important on the major league side of Beat the Streak, where $3 million is the top prize, but hey, we're talking Brewerfan bragging rights here!

ha ha, thanks Mass. I'd better see if I can change my name to something less obvious! It just had my account setting saved from when I was in college subscribing to mlb.com gameday audio.

okay, done. let's see if tomorrow my name is different

Enduring a Huntsville Stars game that starts off with Mark Rogers leaving before 3 innings, with 10 opposing runs on the board is tough to listen to.

What's tougher is when the guy you thought you picked for the Beat the Streak gets a double, and then you find out you didn't pick that guy today - it was yesterday.

The toughest part of all though, is listening to today's pick, Taylor Green, go 0-4 against pitchers you previously hadn't known or had respect for - thus ending my streak at 14.

Highlight though - Chuck Caufield can pitch!

Rest easy BFnetters, it'll be a while until I'm a threat again. But be wary - I plan to be a threat again one day.

(sigh)

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Congratulations to "martinezfan" who just tied Kevbo for the longest streak thus far at 14 and has a chance to surpass that today.

This is tougher than I'd thought -- my longest streak has been 3! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

martinezfan (wonder if that dates back to LHP Luis Martinez, remember him?) extends the lead in the Brewerfan sweepstakes with a 16 (and still active) game streak, riding Sergio Miranda to victory Thursday night. He (or she) currently is tied with one other for the second longest active streak in the world, trailing only one 18-game streaker.

Current active streak standings nationwide

Or maybe it's for this former Brewer, who had a long organizational run.

Whatver the case, keep it up, nice job. You know what you're doing. Without media notes or press coverage, fans might not know how ridiculously hot Sergio is -- currently in the midst of a 14-game hit streak.

Of course, I lost my modest three-gamer when Jonathan Lucroy gets called up in the middle of a game and after only two AB's. I guess I can live with that for Jonathan's sake...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

And Lorenzo Cain gives the world a new active streak leader -- congratulatuons!

The longest streak thus far this season is 22 (no longer active, non-Brewer fan). A reminder that one of "us" could win MiLB's grand prize (which admittledly is just a tick less than the $3 million major league prize) by being tops at the end of the minor league season.

Grand Prize

The eligible participant with the longest hitting streak greater than or equal to twenty (20) will win (a) one (1) 2011 MiLB Courtesy pass (the "Courtesy Pass"), and (b) one (1) Minor League Baseball Prize Pack that will include items determined in the sole and absolute discretion of NAPBL (the "Prize Pack") (the Courtesy Pass and Prize Pack collectively, the "Grand Prize") (Estimated retail price value of Grand Prize: US $850.00). The Courtesy Pass will admit the Grand Prize winner and one (1) guest, through the gate at any 2011 regular season MiLB game except any scheduled MiLB Opening Day game(s). It is not to be used for admission to any League or Classification All-Star Games or any MiLB postseason championship playoff games. Admission with the Courtesy Pass is at the sole discretion of the Minor League Baseball club and subject to the applicable admission policies, and guidelines of the Minor League Baseball club, and/or Minor League Baseball. It is subject to government tax, is not transferable, and is not an admission pass to Major League Baseball ballparks or ballgames.

Archived