Brewer Fanatic

Greatest play ever?

I remember a Jenkins catch in LF that similar to Chavez'. He didn't go over the wall, but crashed into it with his throwing shoulder, caught the ball, then threw out a runner at 2nd or 1st. That's how I remember it anyway...

Jenkins to Damian Miller DP on June 24, 2005 against the Twins was a great play. Cuddyer was on 3rd, one out. Shannon Stewart hit a weak fly ball over 1B. Jenkins came running in, caught the ball and still running in, threw to Miller in one motion to get Cuddyer.

Yount's catch to save Nieves' no-no and end the game was pretty sweet.

The best play I ever saw in person is the second clip in this video:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize it's sacriligious to say such a thing, but the Willie Mays play wasn't that spectacular at all. A huge play given the situation, of course. But the play itself is no different than plays made every day in today's MLB. Not having watched games back then, maybe it was a spectacular play for that era. Heck, that catch the Cards' CF made last night on Hart's shot to CF was every bit as difficult , if not more, than May's catch.

Can anyone find a video of the Brady Clark catch? I remember it, but would still like to watch. That same season didn't David K have a pretty amaizing catch where he climbed the wall in left center?

As for greatest Brewers play all the time, I would say the Clark catch, but the most famous is probably Robin Yount at the end of Nieves' nono.

I realize it's sacriligious to say such a thing, but the Willie Mays play wasn't that spectacular at all. A huge play given the situation, of course. But the play itself is no different than plays made every day in today's MLB. Not having watched games back then, maybe it was a spectacular play for that era.

The Polo Grounds' outfield was huge. Massive. The amount of ground Mays covered was pretty incredible... iirc he was shaded to left-center. Besides, any play's 'greatest of all time'-ness should absolutely be related to how the play compares to the players' peers. There was one CF that had even a shot at that catch in those days, and it was Mays.

EDIT: http://www.ballparktour.com/Polo_Grounds_Dia.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not sure if it was mentioned, but when Ozzie Smith was inducted they played a highlight video. He had a play that looked like a routine slow chopper up the middle. He was running full speed towards second to field it and then it hit something and took a 45 degree hop behind him. He went against his body and barehanded it with his free hand and chucked him out at first. I've been trying to find the video on youtube but haven't been able to. I can't remember if it was with San Diego or St. Louis, but i'm almost sure it was St. Louis.

Sadly, MLB is horrendous when it comes to video's. The NBA got it right, "Let people post what they want, it's propagating our product."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I have to vote for Ozzie. "A great catch is like watching girls go by, the last one you see is always the prettiest" - Bob Gibson. What is the easiest play of all for infielders, catching fly balls, what is the only thing outfielders do, catch fly balls. The difficulty of fielding a hard hit grounder, especailly with a bad hop involved, is so much more than running and catching the ball. Great catches usually save multiple runs/bases and are more valuable whereas a great infield play may only only save a single so maybe they underrated. Like the hardest play to make in the game yesterday was that screamer hit at McGehee where he basically just got in front of it and couldnt even get his glove on it, if he could have fielded that cleanly and started a doubleplay that to me has a much higher degree of difficulty than catching a ball which would have landed far away from where you were initially standing. I tend not to rank things that require a lot of speed to accomplish because being fast is not nearly as difficult as being athletic/having good hands.

That Rick Monday play isn't even top 10 in my opinion. I could have done that.
Perhaps you could have, but if that's your attitude about it, I highly doubt that you would have. Therein lies the difference.

that Superman dive reminded me of when Jason Kendall did it for the Pirates back in April of 1996 (?). He jumped right over Ramon Hernandez of the catcher to score a run. Great play! Unfortunately, I can't find a video of it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"If you're going to burn the flag, don't do it around me. I've been to too many veterans' hospitals and seen too many broken bodies of guys who tried to protect it." [/sup]

-Rick Monday

Obivously its not great because of the physical skills required to do it, but it is one of the most famous "plays" in MLB history.

• 3 months later...
This Japanese play is awesome, but it's really just a really great version of a catch we see frequently. For me, what made the Buehrle play so special was that it was just completely different -- I've never seen anyone flip the ball between his legs that way, in one fluid motion.

Archived