Brewer Fanatic

Greatest play ever?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loved Endy Chavez's catch in the 2006 playoffs. Especially as it was against the Cardinals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?mid=200610191718380&vid=7758&gid=2006/10/19/slnmlb-nynmlb-1&v=2

You may have to click on "Endy's amazing catch"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I don't think that situation should have anything to do with how great a play is. A great play is a great play whether it's in a 15-0 nothing game in April or a tie game in the World Series. Brady Clark's drive in Colorado was a better play than both Willie's catch and DeWayne Wise's catch last year during Buehle's perfect game. Was it the greatest play ever? Probably not but it was the first one that came to mind.

Escobar's play last year deep in the hole in ss and he then gunned someone out that was a great play. Kapler's dive into the seats against the Dodgers. Jenkins diving catch in RF against the Yankees I believe Jeter was batting. I wish I could find that play online somewhere because that was an awesome catch by Jenkins. There are others that were great also just ones that I can remember for Brewers. If anything you can just look up Griffey's early years and you are bound to find some great plays.

I can't find a video of it, but I seem to recall of play that Edmonds made in CF where he had to lay out to catch a ball that was directly over his head, to me it was much more impressive than Mays' over the head play.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My fav all time play was Rick Manning climbing the wall at Tigers Stadium to take away a home run. I literally fell out of my seat laughing. It was ridiculous, so far left of the bell curve it ended up on another bell curve on another planet.

Off the top of my head, I thought of 3, and they have all been listed.

DeWayne Wise's catch last year during Buehrles's perfect game:

http://deadspin.com/5321454/the-catch-that-saved-mark-buehrles-perfect-game

Bill Hall holding Bushy's no-no

And the Jenkins catch, which I saw front row in the right field bleachers that night, making it extra special.

Honorable Mention: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080928&content_id=3565291&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym#

No doubt that was an amazing play, but I don't think that it should be overlooked that the first baseman had to make a barehanded grab. He was correctly positioned on the outside of the bag and had to reach back onto the infield side with his bare hand to catch it. Regardless of whether it was opening day or the world series, I for one have not seen "thousands" of plays that were that good.

There are two Edmonds catches I remember. The first was early in his Angels career when he made a Willie Mays style catch except he was fully layed out. That catch won web gem of the year.

Then I remember another that was basically the same except he was diving up the hill in center at Houston's new stadium. That one was with the Classys.

One of my favorite Brewer plays was the diving catch Braun made early last season at Wrigley. He flew so freakin' far for that ball. I don't care if he initially misplayed it, which he probably did.

I will second Baldkin's mention of the Endy Chavez catch in the playoffs.

I shouted out loud when he made that catch, and couldn't recall seeing a more spectacular play especially in such a big spot.

Buehrle's play was great, but he only stopped an infield single.

My favorite play of all time, was when Bo Jackson took that line drive off the wall and gunned down Harold Reynolds at home. That was best throw I've ever seen, and I'm not sure if I'll ever see a better one. Probably won't get a lot of votes, but it shows what a freak that dude was. Pure athlete.

that's the thing about calling something a "greatest play ever." I think I have posted something along these lines before. The Willie Mays catch is awesome because it was only a famous catch because (a) it was the World Series, and (b) it was caught on film. I am pretty sure there were probably hundreds (thousands?) of awesome catches and what not back in the day that only a handful of people alive now can remember because the games back then were not filmed regularly. And those catches could be labeled as even "greater" than some of the catches of today because of the inferior gloves and equipment that they used way back when.

A bit more on topic, the greatest catch I ever saw in person actually happened in BP when I was younger. At County Stadium, the Brewers were finishing up BP and somebody hit a lazy fly to right field. Charlie Moore was out there shagging flies and for this ball he jogged up to it, then did a full cartwheel and caught the ball just off the turf while he was upside-down in the cartwheel roll. I still remember it plain as day and whenever my dad and I talk about the old Brewers, we always get to reminiscing about Moore and, sure enough, one of us will always interject with a, "Do you still remember that cartwheel catch?" as if the other had forgotten about it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The play when Manny Ramirez caught the ball over his shoulder, high fived a fan, and then threw out the runner at 2nd. Just Manny being Manny.

Bo Jackson running off the wall after the catch sticks out as awesome, though the play was fairly routine.

There's tons of great plays out there. Gary Matthews Jr catch was pretty great. So good It got him 10 million!!!!

Archived