Brewer Fanatic

Interesting Cubs Tidbit on A-Rod

The Chicago Tribune says the Cubs, if they plan to make a play for Alex Rodriguez, would probably have to part with Rich Hill.

Hill is pencilled in as the team's number two starter behind Carlos Zambrano for next year. The Tribune suggests the Yanks would also want Felix Pie and Scott Eyre. File this one in the not-gunna-happen folder.

Personally if the Yankees came to me with that offer and I was the cubs brass i would really have to think about it. Hill was in the dog house most of the last two years and just because he had a good month and half he's moved up to number two on the pitching list? That a questionable move to say the least. Felix Pie is a prospect that could be great or could not. Remeber Cub fans you guys hung on the Corey Patterson with the same hopes of becoming an All Star which never came to fruition. Scott Eyre was great for them this year so that would be a little hard to give up. But on a whole the Cubs need to make a splash this year to take some of the lime light away from there southside rivals the Whitesox and what bigger splash then landing A-Rod. I would assume this would all depend on his likely hood of moving back to SS or if Aramis Ramirez is going to be back manning the hot corner for the cubs. But this is a move that the cubs need to make. And just on a closing note i would bet my life savings, which granted isn't much that 1) The cubs will not have Rich Hill as there number two next year. 2) A-Rod is as good as gone from the Yankees.

If I were the Cubs, I'd probably do it. Pie did not have a very good AAA season last year. Eyre was good, but they could just go out into FA and sign the best reliever anyway, so I would think he would be expendable. In Hill's last 80 innings last year he had a 2.93 ERA with a 1.05 WHIP though, which is pretty good.

I would say this would be the equivalent of us trading Villanueva, Braun, and Wise for Rodriguez. And I'd do that.

(Hill's probably better than Villy, but I think Braun might have the edge over Pie)

I would do that in a heartbeat if I were the Scrubs. If the Drubs can resign Ramirez (which has to be priority #1) adding A-Rod would give the Flubs one of the best middle of the order's in all of baseball. A-Rod, Lee, and Ramirez. Plus A-Rod's defense at short would help the pitchers. Both A-Rod and Lee are gold glovers at their natural positions and Ramirez is at least solid defensively. Sign Mark Loretta and you have a pretty good defensive infield.

Since neither can hit, yes, both go to the bench. I might actually option Cedeno down for more work on his hitting. Maybe he can turn it around down in AAA. Izturis has some defensive versatility so he could be useful off the bench.

"Hill was in the dog house most of the last two years...he had a good month and a half he's moved up to number two on the pitching list?"

Hill wasn't really in the doghouse so much as up until the the final two months this year his major league results didn't seem to reflect what a dominant pitcher he has been in the minors (he was 7-1, 1.80 ERA, 135 K's, 21 BB's in 100 innings at AAA this year).

The feeling is that he just needed a little success to get over the mental hump and he's done that. There is no question that he has top or near top of the rotation stuff. Frankly, I wouldn't mind the Cubs letting him go. He could be a real pain to Brewer hitters for a long time.

As for Pie, his stock took a huge hit this year though he did come on a little late. The Cubs think he has more to work on in the minors.

I think we're going to see Aramis Ramiriez at Third Base for the Yankees next year and A-Rod either with the Cubs or the Astros. How it happens, dunno, but that will make divisional games a bit harder.

Guesses now, how many HRs does A-Rod hit in wrigley?

Archived