Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253
Rock just mentioned on the broadcast that Attanasio said yesterday the Brewers would like to extend Weeks, so I guess that's a good sign. However, BA wasn't up to speed yet that Weeks had hired Genske... he noted that Babby had moved to a position with the Suns, but not that Weeks had replaced him.
Now, I take everything Witrado says with a huge grain of salt; but just heard him on WSSP and he insinuated that the Brewers are still a bit bitter over how they feel the Sabathia negotiations went down. So we'll see if they can work something out for Weeks or not.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the Witrado piece too.

Basically, Witrado said the Brewers weren't too happy with the lack of communication from Sabathia's camp. They never had their offer rejected. They were never given a counter offer. They were never given a chance to match the Yankees. It sounded as though Sabathia's camp just sat on the offer until the Yankee's blew them out of the water.

I suspect Weeks will play out his contract and become a free agent. If/when the Brewers trade Prince, Weeks wouldn't have too many friends left in the organization.

TwoBrewers,

Just curious what you are basing the statement that Weeks doesn't have too many friends in the organization outside of Fielder. Yes, he and Prince go back a long way but the chances of them signing with the same team when they both reach FA is very remote. I highly doubt that even enters into the equation. From everything that has been said, Rickie is one of the most respected players on the team by his fellow teammates due to his hard work and quiet leadership. I am not sure how you can say something like that without backing it up. Maybe the guy simply wants to finish the last 3-4 weeks of the season before concentrating on his future. He has had a really good year and I can't argue with him for wanting to remain focused on finishing it strong.

I really don't think that Rickie's agent is going to be an issue when it comes to resigning him. He ignored us with CC mainly because we had no shot at him and he wasn't going to resign here, period. I think that Rickie will be interested in returning and signing an extension, so I don't see this going down the same way. I think he'll get extended sometime this offseason. I heard Doug Melvin's interview on WSSP last week and he made it seem like it's a big priority to resign Weeks.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• 3 weeks later...

Responding to a post in the Bye Mr. Prince thread...

$7.5 mil a year for Weeks seems reasonable though. That is what Cano makes.

That AAV is derived from only counting what money is guaranteed Cano, just fwiw. He has two club options on the back end of his deal with $2M buyouts. If you include the salaries for '12 & '13, the AAV jumps to $9.5M for a 6-year deal. Barring a catastrophic injury, I don't see Cano's options not getting picked up. Below is a crude list of highest-paid 2B by AAV, as paid during FA-eligible seasons (as in, past-arby), assuming all future options will be exercised:

1. Chase Utley $15,000,000 (2010-13) 2. Robinson Cano $13,000,000 (2011-13) 3. Brandon Phillips $10,500,000 (2011-12) 4. Dustin Pedroia $10,333,333 (2009-14) 5. Brian Roberts $10,000,000 (2010-13) 5. Luis Castillo $6,250,000 (2008-11) 6. Mark Ellis $5,500,000 (2009-10)

Please, anyone, correct me if I've made errors or omissions. Weeks has one more arbitration-eligible season, so I'd guess at least $6-7M for that season alone. After that, it would appear the Brewers would need to match roughly $10M per season. On a 4-year deal, that'd be ~$37M with an AAV of ~$9.25M. If 2010 is a reasonable expectation for Weeks going forward, he would more than earn that money. Something tells me 4/$37M would be a bit short of getting a deal done; somewhere in between $37M & $42M or so for four years would hopefully do it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
I'd do that Uggla deal with Weeks in a heart beat. Weeks is just going to get better and better, and he has some serious power.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

$12MM per season for a guy with that injury history is a HUGE risk for a small market team. However, assuming the Brewers do not trade Lawrie this season and he can sort of provide you insurance in the event Weeks does get hurt, I may be inclined to agree with you.

Weeks is the heart and soul of the team in my opinion.

Weeks is the hardest worker and I agree that he is the heart and soul of the team. I believe that we have only begun to see what Weeks can really do over a full season. It would be a huge disappointment if the Brewers don't re-sigh him at all costs. I have a strong feeling the Brewers will regret it if he walks.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Weeks needs to be kept, and I hope that an extension can be worked out before spring training. This should be one of the top priorities of the off-season. Despite the injuries, he's gotten better every year, and being that he's only 28 years old, I have a feeling that it wouldn't be fun watching him hit his prime somewhere else.

I'd do that Uggla deal with Weeks in a heart beat. Weeks is just going to get better and better, and he has some serious power...

Weeks is the hardest worker and I agree that he is the heart and soul of the team. I believe that we have only begun to see what Weeks can really do over a full season. It would be a huge disappointment if the Brewers don't re-sigh him at all costs. I have a strong feeling the Brewers will regret it if he walks.

I don't think I ever want to see the Brewers front office trying to resign anyone "at all costs."

I love Weeks, and think when healthy he is as good or better than Uggla. However, players should be paid by what they are expected to do and a lot of expectations comes from past numbers. Over the last 3 years, Uggla has been worth an average of 1 more win than Weeks. Yes this is partly because of injuries but that doesn't mean the numbers should be thrown out. The Brewers assume a lot of risk in signing Weeks to a long term contract. They should get a discount.

Weeks isn't worth what Uggla is, and he shouldn't be paid as the 2nd or 3rd best 2B in baseball behind Utley/Cano. He simply hasn't done enough yet to earn that contract.

Weeks isn't worth what Uggla is, and he shouldn't be paid as the 2nd or 3rd best 2B in baseball behind Utley/Cano. He simply hasn't done enough yet to earn that contract.

Well said. I think there's a lot of homerism on this board when it comes to Rickie Weeks. Let's face it, 2010 was his first really good year that wasn't hampered by injuries. That doesn't warrant a contract pushing $50 million at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well said. I think there's a lot of homerism on this board when it comes to Rickie Weeks. Let's face it, 2010 was his first really good year that wasn't hampered by injuries. That doesn't warrant a contract pushing $50 million at this point.

Weeks is going to be very good and he will be worth more than 50 million. This last year imo is a taste of what he will offer. Once Weeks moves out of the leadoff spot he will imo be even more productive and valuable. The Brewers if they're smart will re-sign him now even at 50 million.

He simply hasn't done enough yet to earn that contract.

I'm won't say the concern about Rickie's injury history isn't warranted, but whether he's done "enough" or not ultimately comes down to whether or not one team believes so.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived