Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253
After the signing of Hart, I'd be a little more ok with trading Weeks. He's got to have some decent value. Good power numbers, good on base numbers. High strikeout rates, but people don't seem to mind that much. He'd be a good #2 hitter I think for a team that actually has a lead off hitter. Eric Farris seems to be doing well in Nashville and could be given a shot next year, maybe as a platoon player with Craig Counsell. Brett Lawrie would obviously then take over eventually. Moving Fielder for pitching is a must now, and moving Weeks for more pitching could help as well. At this point I am willing to punt on 2011 IF it's because we traded Fielder and Weeks for good pitching prospects at A+ or AA.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only $32M committed for next year, per Cot's. Rickie has more value because he plays 2B, but they usually get paid less. I'd say it's a no-brainer to sign him, unless you are afraid of injury (moreso than any other player) or that he will not accept standard position pay.

Per UZR, Rickie is the best defender as well of the big 4 bats. Who would have guessed that a few seasons ago? He's barely on the negative side. I would prefer Weeks myself because of his OBP abilities as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Only $32M committed for next year, per Cot's.
Are you including arby raises in that figure?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Anyone know if his brother had the same agent of does he have a different one?

Lon Babby's profile at his former firm, Williams & Connelly has already been taken down, but a PDF version (older version, too, I'd imagine) of the same page I just linked lists both Rickie & Jemile as clients of W&C. I'd have to guess they were both represented by Babby, but that's just an assumption.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Rickie will sign an extension similar to Hart's, except maybe a few extra years.
So, in other words, nothing like Hart's? Unless you're considering same amount of money per year, and if that's the case the total would be much higher (if Weeks were signed to a few extra years).

I don't see Rickie picking Boras, but we'll see I guess. I think Rickie will sign an extension similar to Hart's, except maybe a few extra years.

From a business point of view, it would make a lot of sense for Rickie to choose Boras. He's nearing his first shot at free agency and any contract the Brewers would offer would probably be able to be met by several teams on the open market. I hope he doesn't choose Boras, but I could definitely see him doing so.

I don't see Rickie picking Boras, but we'll see I guess. I think Rickie will sign an extension similar to Hart's, except maybe a few extra years.

From a business point of view, it would make a lot of sense for Rickie to choose Boras. He's nearing his first shot at free agency and any contract the Brewers would offer would probably be able to be met by several teams on the open market. I hope he doesn't choose Boras, but I could definitely see him doing so.

Plus, don't forget that Prince and Rickie are best buddies, that could influence Weeks to choose Boras.

I think Rickie will sign an extension similar to Hart's, except maybe a few extra years.
So, in other words, nothing like Hart's? Unless you're considering same amount of money per year, and if that's the case the total would be much higher (if Weeks were signed to a few extra years).
Yeah, I meant dollar amount sorry.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I always hoped Rickie would influence Prince away from Boras, not the other way around. I don't think he'll go that direction, Rickie seems to value more than money and also seems smart enough to know that is all Boras values.

• 3 weeks later...

In an article about missing out on trading Prince Fielder, Ken Rosenthal notes that:

They could trade second baseman Rickie Weeks,

who has chosen Greg Genske as his new agent and — like Fielder — is

eligible for free agency after next season. Weeks was more likely to

sign a club-friendly extension under his previous agent, Lon Babby, who

recently became team president of the NBA’s Phoenix Suns.

Now that Weeks has a new agent, we can hope for some extension chatter in the near future.

I've thought all along that since Weeks' name was never mentioned when everyone was talking about trading Hart and Fielder that it was because the Brewers wanted to extend him. Now that he's picked his agent, I hope something can get worked out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Rock just mentioned on the broadcast that Attanasio said yesterday the Brewers would like to extend Weeks, so I guess that's a good sign. However, BA wasn't up to speed yet that Weeks had hired Genske... he noted that Babby had moved to a position with the Suns, but not that Weeks had replaced him.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of info & a bump to this thread... Weeks has been the second most valuable 2B in MLB this season in terms of WAR (his lead over third place is pretty substantial), and the 14th-most valuable position player overall. I'd have to guess that's largely due to him improving his UZR/150 to -0.4 entering play today.

The next closest Brewers position player to Weeks's 4.9 WAR so far this season is Prince at 3.5. I really hope the Brewers can get an extension worked out with Rickie, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he elects to just play out next season & shoot for free agency.

If you are injured I believe they project your value over the whole year when figuring FA compensation.

You could be correct, I thought that they used injuries in a formula to get an estimate but not a straight prorated #. My thought was that even if he produced the same #'s as '09 without missing 3/4's of the season that would give him the needed bump.

http://tigers-thoughts.bl...09/02/elias-updates.html

I've found all of the errors in last years rankings, and this year's should be much much closer, if not dead accurate. To summarize where some of the errors came from and what has been done to fix them:

• Suspended/bereavement/restricted time does not count towards the DL adjustment. All of this time is ignored. In addition, players on those lists on August 31 are not included in the rankings. Notable among the bereaved players was Casey Kotchman, who was not scored in this year's rankings.
  • I've already mentioned disabled list time in a previous post, but the DL adjustment, rather than being an estimation like last year, is perfect. In addition, I've also learned that not all retroactive dates are included in the press releases. The best way to calculate DL time is to find out that a player is on the DL and then go to the game logs to find out how many days he missed.
  • First, the incorrect DL adjustment for players over 60 days masked a lot of problems. I had assumed this was the primary reason, and with so many players, they were bound to be off.

• Finally, for some reason I was DL adjusting the IP/H category. This led to the overrating of some relievers with around 60 days of DL time. This is how Jamie Wright ended up as high as he did. Again, this was another boneheaded mistake, but it is caught in time for next year's rankings.

As for the upcoming season, the tentative plan is to have more frequently updated rankings with an embedded spreadsheet somewhere on this site. If I were to guess, I would say they would start around May.

(edit: replaced initially posted link with permalink and offset quoted material --1992)

Archived