Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253
Agreed, Gobias. Melvin was in an impossible situation with Weeks. An extension would have had to be in place prior to this season in order to get Rickie on the cheap, and if Rickie didn't perform there would be numerous "Why did we extend Weeks?" threads. I think the Crew will have no problems extending Weeks next season for something like 4/26ish.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's going to be more like 4/32
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think it's going to be more like 4/32
I guess I'd be comfortable with that. Anything more though, and it's a way too risky and unwarranted overpay.

Of course, this all assumes that Weeks actually wants to stay and isn't hell bent on going to free agency like Prince.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would be shocked if Weeks would extend for 4/32. If he keeps hitting anywhere close to this, he'll get more like 15MM a year. He would risk losing out if he gets hurt again, but even if he does, he can still get 4/32 as a FA after the 2011 season. So there's no downside, and huge upside for him to become a FA if the best offer to extend now is 4/32.

Thing is 2B just don't get those pay days. For whatever reason, 2B are cheap relative to production. Chase Utley, arguably the 2nd best position player in baseball gets $15m a year.
That's true, but when did that deal get done? Price keeps going up, and teams put a premium on power. So while Weeks isn't considered in the same class as Utley, if he keeps this up he will. But heck, even if the number is $12MM it's a lot more than the $8MM discussed above. And I believe he'll be able to get that $8MM unless something really disastrous happens to him between now and the time he becomes a FA.

endaround[/b]]Thing is 2B just don't get those pay days. For whatever reason, 2B are cheap relative to production. Chase Utley, arguably the 2nd best position player in baseball gets $15m a year.
That's true, but when did that deal get done? Price keeps going up, and teams put a premium on power. So while Weeks isn't considered in the same class as Utley, if he keeps this up he will. But heck, even if the number is $12MM it's a lot more than the $8MM discussed above. And I believe he'll be able to get that $8MM unless something really disastrous happens to him between now and the time he becomes a FA.

What are you basing this stance on? Similar 2Bs? Utley? I would say a decent comparison is Brandon Phillips who signed for 4/27 coming off a contract year in which he posted a WAR of 5.2. Yea, Weeks is later on in the Arby process, but factor in injuries and I think they are similar. Can you think of a better player?

From Cot's

The top 5 paid 2B.

1. Chase Utley, $12,142,857 (2007-13)
  2. Brian Roberts, $10,000,000 (2010-13)

3. Robinson Cano, $7,500,000 (2008-11)
  4. Brian Roberts, $7,150,000 (2008-09)

5. Dustin Pedroia, $6,750,000 (2009-14)

Brandon Phillips, $6,750,000 (2008-11)

Weeks probably fits in between Cano and Phillips dollar wise. I don't think Weeks will get $10m per year in free agency with the injury concerns. Somewhere around 4 years at $30-36m is where Weeks value lies maybe even a 5-year $50m contract with the 5th year being an option year if Weeks stays healthy this year and next year and continues to improve next year. You also have to take his defense into consideration. The max I could see Weeks getting is that 5-year $50m but it is probably closer to 5-year $45m with the last year being a team option.

Thanks Nate, that sounds a lot more realistic. FVBrewerFan's post just seemed so far out from what I was thinking and it looks like he is pretty out of line from the rest of baseball as well. I thought I was missing something for a second.

Darn it, don't blow my position out of the water with facts!!! Here's the thing though. If he stays healthy and keeps producing similar numbers between now and the end of the 2011 season, it does put him closer to the top of that list. That would be two years without injury, so those conerns are all but gone. Defense may play a minor role, but not that much. Weeks is a unique 2B in that he could legitimately hit 30 HR/100 RBI PLus have a high OBP. Oh...and speed...for the few teams that still use it. Finally, most of the contracts above were done in 07/08. Inflation alone bumps up those numbers.

I wonder what Weeks' trade value is right now. Eric Farris may be a decent one year stop gap next season if Weeks gets traded. I don't want them to trade Fielder, Hart, AND Weeks though. I actually hope they resign him. If this is what he can do when he's healthy, i'll take it. I think his injuries have been overblown a bit because wrist injuries aren't really that common. He's a legitimate 25-30 home run threat, as he's shown this year. But if someone is willing to give us a young #2 ceiling pitcher for Weeks, you take that deal in a second.

I have begged Rickie to be resigned for a long time. Of course the organization blows it and misses out on our future #4 hitter. It makes me sick.

Now if we don't trade Hart for value in next 4 days...we will seriously regret it. Figures...

I hope they lock up Weeks but if they are even thinking about it they really need to give Lawrie some reps at whatever position they see him playing in the future. I really like Farris but I think he is more of a Counsell type who could play all over the infield and produce off the bench.

I want them to lock up Weeks, move Lawrie to RF so he can utilize his speed there. Kentrail Davis is annihilating A ball and needs to be promoted, possibly move him to 1B in the future. Hunter Morris is also producing nicely after a rough start. We'll have a lot of position players and if we can get some young pitching for Fielder & Hart we should be a good team in 2012 and 2013.

I want them to lock up Weeks, move Lawrie to RF so he can utilize his speed there. Kentrail Davis is annihilating A ball and needs to be promoted, possibly move him to 1B in the future. Hunter Morris is also producing nicely after a rough start. We'll have a lot of position players and if we can get some young pitching for Fielder & Hart we should be a good team in 2012 and 2013.
Amazing how history repeats itself. Similar to when Miller Park opened. Be patient... Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hart, etc. are on the way!!! Won't belong before this team will be a serious contender. Sorry, jsut in a "glass is half empty" mood today. For those of us who have been fans for many years, it's the same old thing over and over. We were supposed to be big time contenders right NOW. Now it's 2013...

Darn it, don't blow my position out of the water with facts!!! Here's the thing though. If he stays healthy and keeps producing similar numbers between now and the end of the 2011 season, it does put him closer to the top of that list. That would be two years without injury, so those conerns are all but gone. Defense may play a minor role, but not that much. Weeks is a unique 2B in that he could legitimately hit 30 HR/100 RBI PLus have a high OBP. Oh...and speed...for the few teams that still use it. Finally, most of the contracts above were done in 07/08. Inflation alone bumps up those numbers.

"Inflation" has actually driven down the price for free agents since the 07/08 season.

I think his injuries have been overblown a bit because wrist injuries aren't really that common.

Injuries are injuries though. I know excuses have been made for players (one being Sheets and how freak they were), but if you can't play...you can't play. I know I haven't been on the Weeks bandwagon and one major reason is injuries. He looks to be a very good player when healthy...there is a fair amount of risk though.

I have begged Rickie to be resigned for a long time. Of course the organization blows it and misses out on our future #4 hitter. It makes me sick.

Have all of your ideas worked out? I think you need to list them all out so we can look back at them and see how well they would've worked out in a few years...

I think his injuries have been overblown a bit because wrist injuries aren't really that common.

Injuries are injuries though. I know excuses have been made for players (one being Sheets and how freak they were), but if you can't play...you can't play. I know I haven't been on the Weeks bandwagon and one major reason is injuries. He looks to be a very good player when healthy...there is a fair amount of risk though.

Have all of your ideas worked out? I think you need to list them all out so we can look back at them and see how well they would've worked out in a few years...

No, not all of them but most of them dead on before most were willing to admit. Check my history. These are ones I have been most vocal about.

1. I was biggest Hall hater of them all from Day 1. Too many holes in swing and crap-ass attitude. The pink bat garbage everyone got sappy on made me reach for another pink beverage-Pepto.

2. JJ- Wanted to trade high on him because he was playing above his means. Minor league numbers showed he was a fluke in waiting.

3. Rickie- People wanted his head forever and I saw the offensive skill he always had. Injuries would be his cryptonite until this year. Hustles EVERY play and is most focused player on this team. Is still subpar defensively, but has worked to drastically improve.

4. Braun- Purchased authentic jersey in spring training 2007 knowing he was real deal two months before he saw MLB pitch. (I did the same thing with Weeks. Pricey investments.)

5. Turnbow- Didn't buy into him ever. Realized that unless he could consistently throw offspeed for strikes that his straight as a string fastball would catch up with him. Brewers fans just loved his hair.

6. Wolf-Said we would soon seriously regret signing.

I have made a couple bad calls too.

1. I loved Suppan signing at the time but quickly realized in his 2nd year that his favorite plate to serve was meatballs.

2. Hart- I totally discounted him and would have traded him for bag of balls this offseason. However, he has stepped up big time this year. I still would trade him ASAP because he has huge holes in swing too. Get some value Doug.

Don't know how much history you can look up...but it is all documented.

Thought this was worth bringing up here again as it was being discussed in the Hart contract thread. Haudricourt noted today that Melvin has talked with Weeks' agent about an extension. Apparently one holdup is that Weeks is going to be transitioning to a new agent, because his current one is taking over as president of the Phoenix Suns, as Tyler Barnes noted on Twitter.

So it sounds like it could very well happen, just a matter of when.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived