Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253

I think a deal in the $6-7M per year range is probably fair if it involved a hometown discount.

Per Cot's

Second basemen

The highest-paid active

second basemen, by average annual value:

1. Chase Utley, $12,142,857 (2007-13)
  2. Brian Roberts,

$10,000,000 (2010-13)

3. Robinson

Cano, $7,500,000 (2008-11)

4. Brian

Roberts, $7,150,000 (2008-09)

5. Dustin

Pedroia, $6,750,000 (2009-14)

Brandon

Phillips, $6,750,000 (2008-11)

6. Orlando Hudson, $6,250,000 (2008)

Luis Castillo, $6,250,000 (2008-11)

7. Kaz Matsui, $5,500,000 (2008-10)

Freddy Sanchez, $5,500,000 (2008-09)

Mark Ellis, $5,500,000 (2009-10)

8. Placido Polanco, $4,600,000 (2006-09)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so great. I've been one of the Weeks backers all along -- which isn't necessarily boasting, because he hasn't ever put it together for a whole year. But the broad array of skills has always been there, along with a great work ethic. Now, compared to his great start last year, he has so far doubled his walk rate with no loss in power. He'll still have cold streaks, but I think we have enough evidence (decent 2006, strong 2007, poor 2008, excellent 2009-10) to conclude that he's at least a legit .800 OPS hitter. Combined with his fielding improvement, that's certainly a talent that merits the kind of money people are talking about here.

One thing that I think somewhat counterbalances the very legitimate concerns about his wrists is that, if he doesn't get hurt, he figures to age very well. Guys with that range of skills have all kinds of ways to stay good as they get older, and he has plenty of room to move down the defensive spectrum if / when his feet get too slow for 2b.

The same reason many guys do it - long-term job security. Weeks would actually have more reason to sign an extension than many players, considering how often he has been injured. I'm not saying he should or should not, but there are a number of reasons to do so, security being number one.

Weeks is a lot closer to free agency than Braun and Yo. Again, Weeks has to want to sign an extension. If he stays healthy and has a great year this year and next, why sign an extension?

Also, I do find it interesting that some want an extension...but at somewhat of a discount because of his injury history. You can't have it both ways. If he signs for $6 million and then is hurt during most of the time, what do we do? If I'm Rickie, unless I get a market value deal I'm playing this out. He's made a good amount of money already and probably has 'financial security' if he was smart with his money. He could land a huge payday after next year if he stays healthy. The Brewers probably should've given him an extension last year, but I will admit that might not make sense either given his injury history.

The same reason many guys do it - long-term job security. Weeks would actually have more reason to sign an extension than many players, considering how often he has been injured. I'm not saying he should or should not, but there are a number of reasons to do so, security being number one.

Weeks is a lot closer to free agency than Braun and Yo. Again, Weeks has to want to sign an extension. If he stays healthy and has a great year this year and next, why sign an extension?

Also, I do find it interesting that some want an extension...but at somewhat of a discount because of his injury history. You can't have it both ways. If he signs for $6 million and then is hurt during most of the time, what do we do? If I'm Rickie, unless I get a market value deal I'm playing this out. He's made a good amount of money already and probably has 'financial security' if he was smart with his money. He could land a huge payday after next year if he stays healthy. The Brewers probably should've given him an extension last year, but I will admit that might not make sense either given his injury history.

But if you look at the list of salaries that Logan listed, second basemen don't get "hue paydays." Rickie has not had a career that would allow for him to get a contract like Chase Utley. Cano's career OPS is somewhere around .050 higher than Weels'. Brian Roberts signed his contract around the time the Brewers signed Suppan... salaries have come down since then. He's really looking at $6-7MM/year max, given his career numbers and injury history, which is what I was assuming in my contract projections.

Remember that Weeks is getting $2.75MM this season and will have another year of arby, which will be based off of this year's salary, before he hits free agency. The Brewers should not be expected to give him FA money for next season, since it's an arby year, not a FA year. It is feasible that Weeks will sign for some sort of discount (not huge, since he's close to FA) in order to get the security of knowing that if he gets hurt, he will get paid. He could seriously hamper his career earnings if what happened last year happens again to him next season and no one is willing to sign him for a decent price after missing an entire year. Or, he could get a career ending injury tomorrow, in which case the Brewers would cut ties with him and he wouldn't make a dollar next season.

For the rest of this year and next, the Brewers are the only team that can sign him long-term, so they definitely have some leverage. Not as much as they will if they offer a contract to someone in their arby years, but some.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

But if you look at the list of salaries that Logan listed, second basemen don't get "hue paydays." Rickie has not had a career that would allow for him to get a contract like Chase Utley. Cano's career OPS is somewhere around .050 higher than Weels'. Brian Roberts signed his contract around the time the Brewers signed Suppan... salaries have come down since then. He's really looking at $6-7MM/year max, given his career numbers and injury history, which is what I was assuming in my contract projections.

What if he puts up huge numbers this year and next year though? That is my point. I understand numbers have come down and $6-7mm might be right. My point is if Weeks rakes like we think he can/hope he can...he is going to want to maximize his value. Wouldn't you? You might be dead on in the numbers...I just think if I were him I'd might think of maximizing my value.

Remember that Weeks is getting $2.75MM this season and will have another year of arby, which will be based off of this year's salary, before he hits free agency. The Brewers should not be expected to give him FA money for next season, since it's an arby year, not a FA year. It is feasible that Weeks will sign for some sort of discount (not huge, since he's close to FA) in order to get the security of knowing that if he gets hurt, he will get paid. He could seriously hamper his career earnings if what happened last year happens again to him next season and no one is willing to sign him for a decent price after missing an entire year. Or, he could get a career ending injury tomorrow, in which case the Brewers would cut ties with him and he wouldn't make a dollar next season.

Or he could put up huge numbers this year and next year, correct? I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Does it make sense for the Brewers? Sure. I just don't know if it makes sense for Rickie depending on what the Brewers would offer. I don't see the need on Rickie's side to quick sign a deal and gain security when he's rather close to free agency. I don't see why it makes sense from his side...unless the Brewers give him a market deal. I don't know why Rickie would be all about a discount. He might be, but why? Again, I'm not disagreeing with the thoughts here...I just don't assume Rickie is looking to jump at a contract today when he's close to free agency. In other words, it might be too late. I don't blame the Brewers for that given Rickie's injury history and such. I just don't know why Rickie would take a discount at this point and time unless he thinks he's injury prone or something. Again, I don't disagree with the thoughts. If I'm Rickie, I might not be willing to take a discount. And at the same time if I am the Brewers I might leverage his injury history...thus not give him market value now.

• 1 month later...
From a baseball point of view strictly I say we should sign him. There's nothing coming down the pipe from the minors and his combination of speed and power puts him in the top half of all 2nd basemen as far as I'm concerned. I also think his power will continue to increase while his speed will surely decrease. I think he could be destined for the 5th spot in the line up.

From a baseball point of view strictly I say we should sign him. There's nothing coming down the pipe from the minors and his combination of speed and power puts him in the top half of all 2nd basemen as far as I'm concerned.
At what point does Lawrie play into this? He could very easily be ready to come to the majors by 2012, and he could quite likely be a much better fielder than Weeks by that point. Ever since I said I was worried about Lawrie, he has been on a tear. His K% is down to 22.1, and he now has a line of .299/.359/.497/.856 as a 20-year old in AA. His BABIP is .367, which is high, but not completely unreasonable for someone with his speed.

If Lawrie keeps progressing like this, I say we let Weeks walk and take the draft pick (s), if that's possible.

If Lawrie keeps progressing like this, I say we let Weeks walk and take the draft pick (s), if that's possible.

This is probably the best avenue to take. Weeks is just too damn risky to sign to an extension right now. If I were DM, I'd probably wait until after next year and see if he puts up two consistent, healthy seasons. If he does, you could just lock him up for market value or maybe slightly below it if he really likes Milwaukee.

The time to sign him was the start of the year, since they didn't do that and he is having a big year and absolutely none of the injury risk has changed it is now a bad time to extend him imo. This is why I wanted it to start the year, being healthy for even a full season doesn't change a thing from a risk standpoint for him, he is always going to have concerns with the wrists, all it does is drives up his price.

At what point does Lawrie play into this? He could very easily be ready to come to the majors by 2012, and he could quite likely be a much better fielder than Weeks by that point.

Lawrie's bat will play at any position, which is good for the Brewers. I've read nothing about him that suggests he can actually stick at 2B. Maybe 3B, but my guess is he's in RF or at 1B.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rickie is showing just what kind of player he can be when healthy. He's probably top five offensive second basemen in all of baseball right now (as an aside, did you know he has the exact same OPS right now that he did last year when he was shelved? .857). I believe he's under Brewer control for one more season (someone correct me on that if need be). Is he a player you want long term? He'll be 28 in September and has a lengthy injury history - although they say his wrist sheath issue should not re-occur. His defense will never be gold glove caliber but he's improved since his rookie year and he's not the total liability he used to be. A better defensive first baseman might help. Also consider that you've got some prospects (Lawrie or maybe Gennett down the road) that could potentially replace him at a much cheaper price.

Thoughts?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The way Weeks is playing right now its making it really difficult to think about not extending him or even dealing him. I still think you have to weigh that against his injury history and future cost. Under that microscope I don't think even 50 HRs from Weeks would make him worth holding onto.

Here's my two cents. I would love to sign Weeks long term. At the same time, I don't think it matters if Weeks, Fielder, Hart, or McGehee are back or not in 2011 or beyond if the roation isn't dramatically upgraded. So if there's a team out there that loves Weeks so much they're willing to give up top shelf pitching prospect in AA or above, I'm listening. And I mean a guy with even more upside that...for example...Rivas.

Very simply, this rotation has Yo and then a bunch of 4/5 type starters- including Wolf. Nobody above A ball projects into a top of the roation guy. So I'm willing to look at any deal at all that would bring back big time arms. And I would trade Braun, Weeks...anyone if the deal was right. Otherwise, the Brewers will continually be that cute team that hits a bunch of HRs and never wins a Worls Series. For that matter, rarely can even be considered a legit contender.

With ya on all that FVBrewersFan, 'cept I wouldn't trade Braun, his contract is extremely favorable for one of the best outfielders in MLB...

Likewise, I doubt I would trade Escobar or Lucroy either, but I hear ya! We need pitching and lots of it

Very simply, this rotation has Yo and then a bunch of 4/5 type starters- including Wolf. Nobody above A ball projects into a top of the roation guy. So I'm willing to look at any deal at all that would bring back big time arms. And I would trade Braun, Weeks...anyone if the deal was right. Otherwise, the Brewers will continually be that cute team that hits a bunch of HRs and never wins a Worls Series. For that matter, rarely can even be considered a legit contender

You do know we have some pretty decent arms in the minors. They should be ready by 2012. It is pretty easy to jump from AA to the majors.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He strikes out too much.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What are they waiting for? Pay the man before he gets too expensive.

Too late, I think.

Melvin has handled this situation fine, imo. 2B's not named Utley don't break the bank, so maybe Doug wants to wait until early next year and see how he performs until then. If he has to pay closer to market value, so be it. Wait until May or June 2011 and see if he's still raking AND healthy.

Archived