Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253
Latest from Ken Rosenthal.

Source: Weeks deal with #Brewers would be between 3 and 5 yrs, buying out at least 2 FA years. Sides trying to avoid arb hearing Thur.

Still seems kind of vague, but you have to believe they are getting closer if some rough parameters are in place.

If its between 3 and 5 years it must be a 4 year deal (if my math is correct). All joking aside I believe it will be a 5 year deal at 56 million excluding incentives. I would be ok giving Weeks more than Uggla, although my only justification is that I THINK he will put up similar numbers to Utley from 05-08.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utley 05-08, average season:

150 G, 110 R, 178 H, 42 2B, 29 HR, 104 RBI, 14/2 SB/CS, 62/108 BB/SO, .305/.385/.541 137OPS+ 6.3 WAR

That would be a historic stretch for a 2B, we could only hope for that production and it would be extremely optimistic to expect it.

Uggla is getting about 12 mil per year over his contract. I think Weeks will get a 4 year deal with less of a base pay, but with incentives that would make it possible for him to make about 12 mil per year.

I don't think he deserves a 5 year deal because of the fact that he's only had one good full season so far. 3 or 4 years at 10-ish million per year sounds fair to me.

Pretty nice feeling knowing that every significant Brewers piece is signed through 2012 (Except for Fielder of course) and several are signed for even longer than that. Even with the loss of Fielder this team should be able to compete for the foreseeable future. Hopefully one of Marcum or Grienke is signed by the end of this year as well. Ideally the prospects we will draft this year and next year with the additional Fielder picks will be ready when the next round is needed in 2013-2015

A three year extension is the perfect length IMO; I am curious to see how the 4th year option is structured.

Archived