Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253

Lawrie is definitely athletic enough to play the position, but his defense isn't improving at the same rate as his offense and his defense started out way behind.

I think that's completely fair. I'm just clarifying that a lot of the concerns with Lawrie (including your sentence above) were said about Weeks as he came up as well.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. Weeks makes this team go. I think there is a comfort factor with the other players when Weeks is at 2B and batting leadoff. I really have nothing to back that up. Just a feeling from watching them and reading a few articles over the years.

I haven't been the biggest Weeks supporter, but I would be interested in a possible extension. To me, it really boils down to dollars.

I don't have any type of insider information, but we need to understand that Rickie may not want to sign an extension for a 'low cost'. I guess I look at it this way...if he stays healthy and breaks out this year he could get paid big-time. Weeks has been in the majors relatively much longer than Braun and now Yo were when they signed their deals. He has to be willing to sign for a 'low cost' now. He's just much closer to potentially getting a big free agent contract than the other two guys were.

I also agree that this could tie in to Prince. The plan if we sign Prince (at least my guess) is that a guy like Lawrie would be cheap and talented...exactly what the Brewers will need to surround Braun, Prince, and Yo with given their lack of payroll flexibility if they sign Rickie.

I think I would like to see him stay healthy this entire season and then extend him, but if they did it during the season I wouldn't be opposed. I also kind of hope that they move Lawrie to the OF at some point so we could have a lineup that has both Weeks and Lawrie in it. Perhaps and OF in 2011 or 2012 of Braun, Cain and Lawrie?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think if they are going to extend him they need to do it now while they can get a discount. If he plays a full healthy season it doesn't really lower his risk factor much at all, he is always going to be a big risk with those wrists. All waiting does is drive up the price. Of course this deal only makes sense if they get a significant injury risk discount or it is heavily incentive laden.

I'm not ready yet, I want to see a half season of him not getting hurt first then we can talk extension. I wanna see Prince get an extension before Weeks thought. Weeks' production is replacable, but you don't see many guys with .300 BA, 45 HRs and a high walk rate in MLB like Fielder.

I'm a big fan of Weeks and performance wise-he would likely be a discount if they signed him now. However, it's important to consider the Brewers financial situation.

How many years does Weeks have left before free agency?

A team that's somewhat strapped for cash really benefits from filling the roster with prospects who can produce. Weeks to Lawrie may be a downgrade, but if it's not a big downgrade, it might be the best financial decision. Lawrie + whoever Weeks is traded for may be more valuable to the team than Weeks alone.

A good comparable situation was Hardy and Escobar. Hardy was certainly valuable to the team, but since the Brewers had a player of comparable value ready to take over, they were able to trade Hardy for something useful. This got them one more player and the SS position filled for the league minimum (two very valuable propositions). Lawrie may well force a similar situation with Weeks.

A 4 year 24 million extension would be a bargain. Hall had same contract but I know for a fact that he was not even close to the player Rickie is. Do it Doug...you have the same agent so get it done.

I agree that such a deal seems relatively reasonable, but what if he gets hurt yet again? It just seems like a big gamble based on Weeks' health history at this point.

Molitor was hurt a lot too and enjoyed side sessions of blow in his spare time and turned out ok.

I really agree with whoever said it comes down to money. If the money is right you extend him. If he wants the security, sign him. 4 years at 26 mil. That will allow him to hit big once on the free agent market. This has to be the long term strategy for the Brewers--sign if the money is right, or wait for the big year--year and a half--and dump him or anyone.

I would like to see something like 3 years at $4m per with $2M in incentives per year based on PA and an option for a 4th year. It would probably have to be a mutual option.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would like to see something like 3 years at $4m per with $2M in incentives per year based on PA and an option for a 4th year. It would probably have to be a mutual option.

what team wouldnt want that?

I think that it would take 4 and $30 million to get it done. Even at that rate, I'm in favor of it. It's a risk, but as he showed last year, Weeks has immense potential. Now is the time to sign him because though his health is a risk for the team, it also has to be on his mind which should make him more amenable to locking in. If he has a big year this year, like I think he is, forget about it at that price.

Does everyone realize that he's making $2.75MM this year and still in arby next year, so he'll probably make $3.5MM or so? If we are talking a "Yo-style" contract which includes this season, 4 years / $26MM seems too high.

2010: $2.75MM

2011: $3.50MM

2012: $6MM

2013: $6MM

Total 4 years / $18.25

$6MM / year would make him one of the highest paid 2B in the league. If we're assuming the injury risk, we need some kind of price break, and he hasn't put up seasons like Utley, or even Brain Roberts to justify him making the $10MM/year it would take to sign him to a 4 year / $26MM contract. In other words, we'd still be signing this contract based on his potential, not on what he's done so far, because what he's done so far probably doesn't justify him being one of the top paid 2B in the league.

Now, if you are talking about extending him for this season and four additional years (through 2014), it is more realistic.

2010: $2.75MM (current deal)

Extension

2011: $3.5MM

2012: $6MM

2013: $6.5MM

2014: $7MM

Rickie is 27 (turns 28 on Sept 13). The first contract would make him a free agent at age 31, the second at age 32.

I'd probably like to see the second contract, with 2014 being an option year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is the type of risk a team like the Brewers need to take. Sky is the limit for Weeks, we all know that. Yet, there's an injury risk. But this isn't like paying a ton to a SP with a bad shoulder. Even if Weeks has injuries, it's not like you'll get nothing out of him during a 5 year contract. So I think the upside is huge, downside is limited. You guys know better than I do on the dollars involved, but with two arby years left, I would think a contract extension would be very reasonable.

If Weeks is healthy all year he'll make $5.5m-6m next year in arby.
Only if he can convince everyone that he should be compared to Robinson Cano. There's really no other justification for this salary that I can find. Cano's career OPS is .820 vs Weeks' .772, and he plays 160 games every year, while Rickie has never played more than 129 and that was three years ago.

I'd say if Rickie stays healthy all year and continues his current 1.240 OPS he may make $6MM next year, but I'd guess he's paid less than that even if he stays healthy and has a good (.800+ OPS) year. I'm not an expert on arbitration hearings, but there's really no comp that should justify him getting $5.5-6MM. That would be a 100+% raise over his current pay. I may be guessing low at $3.5MM, but I think $5.5-6MM is too high. Looking at other MLB 2B, I'd say that as a free agent, Rickie would have a hard time getting more than $6MM/year right now.

If he stays healthy, hits 30-40 HR and gets on base at a .350+ clip (all of which he's capable of), he could probably get more than $6MM / year in free agency, but it still would be hard pressed to get that in arby when his current salary is $2.75MM. Since he is capable of the previous referenced numbers, I would be for extending him, just not for an above market value contract when we should get a below market value contract if we're assuming the risk.

I may be missing something. Can someone show me what second basemen he comps to that would justify paying him $6MM in year 3 arby and $8-10MM / year in for his first two years of free agency?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Lawrie ends up being the 1B after we end up not extending Prince. Even if he ends up in the OF to replace Hart, he and Weeks can definitely play on the same team.
I hope your right And That. I want to keep both Rickie and Brett. But I think if we don't extend Prince that Gamel should play 1B and Lawrie should move to RF. Perhaps a lineup like this in 2012:

1. Weeks - 2B

2. Escobar - SS

3. Lawrie - RF

4. Braun - LF

5. Gamel - 1B

6. McGehee - 3B

7. Cain - CF

8. Lucroy - C

Just a thought.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

... we could TRY to flip Prince to SF for Bumgarner.

It better be Bumgarner plus... An everyday superstar like Prince requires at least two pitching prospects (at least one of which must be major league ready) and probably one hitting prospect. Otherwise, I'd say just keep him through his free agent season (which I have a feeling he will totally rake) and take the draft picks. You don't trade the face of your franchise unless the other team can blow down the barn-door with an amazing offer.

Archived