Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253

There has been nothing new to report. Keep in mind, the two sides just started talking during the winter meetings...the team had been waiting for Rickie to choose a new agent, etc.

This isn't something that's likely to happen overnight, Rickie is coming off a breakthrough season, but he also has three significant injuries in his past...which means, there will be some give and take in these discussions.

I know the team wants to keep Rickie here, and I know Rickie's representatives have started the process - the Brewers do a great job of keeping these things out of the press...give it some time.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

With the Fielder & Parra arby-avoiding deals getting done, I'm expecting we'll be hearing about Rickie very soon. Kam Loe & Shaun Marcum are the only other arby-eligible players that haven't signed deals yet for '11, so maybe those two one-yr. deals get done, and then Rickie?

It was really good to hear that the only discussions btw. Genske & the Brewers lately have been multi-year, but the Crew has to be careful to not try to play too much hardball. A healthy 2011 from Weeks sees him easily matching or beating the Uggla deal in FA. The way Ash was talking tough about how Weeks hasn't come close to Uggla's production, while completely neglecting to mention the vast difference in defensive value, just sounded too heavy-handed imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not close per Rosenthal

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

I wonder if Rosenthal is just reading into this from Hardricourt's Blog entry:

Ash said he had a "brief conversation" with Genske over the weekend but had no feeling that a deal was near.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not close per Rosenthal

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

This is concerning to me (specific tweet link). Like I was saying, from what Ash said, it sounded like the Brewers were really trying to undercut Rickie's value. If they let him hit FA because they were trying to lowball him, I'd be upset.

If they let him hit FA because they were trying to lowball him, I'd be upset.

On the flip side, if they sign him to an Uggla-type deal (making him the highest paid 2B in MLB history) and he doesn't stay healthy or just doesn't match his career-best 2010, then it could really hurt the Brewers' future. In general, 2B haven't been highly-paid players. Of course Weeks' agent is going to use Uggla's contract to try to maximize a deal, and of course Ash is going to do what he can to lower the value somewhat. Ash has been doing this a long time, so I don't think he'll pull off a really boneheaded move. I'd guess that Weeks will be signed, and his great, great grandkids will still be living off of his earnings... but he won't (and shouldn't) match Uggla's deal.

With the Fielder & Parra arby-avoiding deals getting done, I'm expecting we'll be hearing about Rickie very soon.

Completely agree. Now that the Fielder monkey is off the team's back, they're free to get on with more pressing matters like working on extensions for Weeks and hopefully Greinke and/or Marcum.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ash spoke with agent Greg Genske earlier Tuesday and Genske suggested "that it would probably be best, given our differences on a multi-year deal, to focus on a one-year deal but keep the options open in terms of revisiting a one-year deal," Ash said. "So that's the way we'll proceed. We'll try to get something done for this year and then continue to talk longer-term and use this as a placeholder, perhaps."

Yeah, Brewers? You're not going to get Rickie on a bargain-basement deal. Stop trying to act like he isn't arguably the best second baseman in the game not named Chase Utley. Pay the man -- luckily for you, second basemen tend to be kind of underpaid. Match the Uggla deal & get this done.

According to McCalvy, the Brewers and Weeks have stopped talking multi-year and are now changing focus to a one year deal.

Not really surprising. I would have been more surprised if they announced a multi-year deal. I think most teams opperate this way. Discuss a multi-year deal up until figures are exchanged, get a one year deal done then go back to working on a multi-year deal.

It is a little surprisning how far apart they are on the arbitration numbers though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not really surprising. I would have been more surprised if they announced a multi-year deal. I think most teams opperate this way. Discuss a multi-year deal up until figures are exchanged, get a one year deal done then go back to working on a multi-year deal.

It is a little surprisning how far apart they are on the arbitration numbers though.

I hope the first part of your comment is what plays out. However, things like this --

"So, we're willing to go and extend, but there's a limit to the

level we're willing to extend. We'll have to work our way through that

if we can. We still have time, but if there's a belief on Genske's side

that Rickie Weeks is similar to Dan Uggla, then we're going to have a

problem."

make me worry that a lesser version of The Paul Molitor Free Agent Experience is on the way. If I'm Rickie, the problem is the Brewers acting like I have no leverage, and that I'm not already a better all-around player than Uggla. If they want to wait me out, that's fine. I'll go have another great season & get at least Uggla money in FA. I just don't think the injury risk with Weeks is more significant than it is with any other player at this point.

I understand the injury element to this discussion, but imo the Brewers are severely overplaying that hand, and are at serious risk of burning bridges with Rickie on an extension. I hope I'm wrong & overreacting.

It would be nice if people could attempt to see this from the Brewers' perspective.

They drafted him in the first round, and stuck with him through several injury plagued seasons while other teams probably would have given up on him. He has finally had ONE healthy/good season. The risk to the Brewers with regards to an Uggla type deal would be huge. I'm not saying they shouldn't re-sign him, but they need to proceed with caution.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

From those arby numbers, both sides seem to be operating under some wishful thinking. I'm pretty nervous about these conversations at this point. If I'm Genske, I don't even agree to a one-year deal. The Brewers's number is so low. Crap.

What I find a little shocking is Ash's willingness to air this out in the media. I don't know if he's trying to act as Melvin's pitbull and be the bad guy in negotiations, but I think after all these years everyone realises Gord's word is effectively Melvins. Seems to me he'd be better off keeping management's thoughts about Rickie Weeks's value private, nothing positive can be gained by ripping him to the media.

This, combined with Ash's earlier statement about Grienke being named opening day starter, instead of letting Roenicke (sp?) Name him, makes for what I feel is a rather bizarre day for Ash.

I think the Brewers are frustrated by Weeks' agent more than anything. It came out a while ago that they were irritated with how the Sabathia free agency "talks" went. Melvin seemed to feel like Genske ignored them, and mentioned that he never bothered to make a counter offer to the club.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What bothers me a little bit is the time and loyalty the Brewers showed to Weeks while he was either awful, a defensive liability, or habitually injured. They kept him at second base, were patient. A lot of teams would have jerked him back and forth from AAA to the majors, most would have shipped him the a corner OF spot. All of which would have left him less valuable and further from free agency, potentially. Then he puts it together and basically says "see ya"

What bothers me a little bit is the time and loyalty the Brewers showed to Weeks while he was either awful, a defensive liability, or habitually injured. They kept him at second base, were patient. A lot of teams would have jerked him back and forth from AAA to the majors, most would have shipped him the a corner OF spot. All of which would have left him less valuable and further from free agency, potentially. Then he puts it together and basically says "see ya"
At no point was there really any reason to send Weeks down. Was he supposed to take over for Braun in LF or Hart in RF? They brought in Durham one year and game him many starts instead of Weeks. Weeks worst season was 2008 and even with partial playing time he was an average MLB player including his defense. He has had injury problems but other than that he has been at the very least a solid MLB player at an up the middle position.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived