Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of anything to "worry about" on this front.

The two sides just started this process at the winter meetings - now they have to figure out where to value Rickie. It's not an easy thing to project Weeks' future production based on his past performance...he has great skills, and is coming off a big year, but he also has three significant injuries in his past.

Nothing confirmed yet, but according to a tweet from the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo, "Atlanta sources tell me Dan Uggla closing in on a 5-year, $60-61 million extension."

Weeks is a more talented all-around player, but obviously Uggla has a longer track record of staying healthy. If the rumor is true, the deal would cover Uggla's age 31-35 seasons, and have an AAV of appx. $12M. I would love to see the Brewers clone this contract with Weeks (would cover him from 28 to 32).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With no more Lawrie or Escobar, they have to extend Weeks. The farm system's short on prospects now.
This is a really good point. I can see them overpaying on a Weeks extension just a bit so they don't have another glaring position hole for 2012.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

With no more Lawrie or Escobar, they have to extend Weeks. The farm system's short on prospects now.
This is a really good point. I can see them overpaying on a Weeks extension just a bit so they don't have another glaring position hole for 2012.
The thing is... the Brewers can really be solid if they can extend Weeks, Marcum, and Greinke. If they can extend Marcum, Weeks, Greinke, and Fielder, the Brewers may be the best in the NL Central for a while.

Realistically, resigning Weeks and Marcum should be relatively, RELATIVELY easy. Of course that's in comparison to extending Fielder. I don't know what to expect out of the possibility of resigning Greinke right now. Greinke has 2 years and $27 million left on his contract. I'd offer him a 3 year extension at $51MM to start off with. Essentially he'd have a very club friendly 5 year $76MM contract. Not sure if that's even close to what it would take but that's a start.

Realistically, resigning Weeks and Marcum should be relatively, RELATIVELY easy. Of course that's in comparison to extending Fielder. I don't know what to expect out of the possibility of resigning Greinke right now. Greinke has 2 years and $27 million left on his contract. I'd offer him a 3 year extension at $51MM to start off with. Essentially he'd have a very club friendly 5 year $76MM contract. Not sure if that's even close to what it would take but that's a start.

That sounds like a plan.

if the Brewers couldnt tempt CC with $100MM, I doubt they'll be able to tempt Greinke at $50MM.. I think any deal has to start at $100MM
Like I said, a 3 year $51MM extension for Greinke is only a start and I think $17MM is fair based on the fact he doesn't have the track record of a CC ($23MM/year) or a Cliff Lee($25MM/year) or a Johan($23MM/year). I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the CC contract though.

Melvin in the JS blog:

Do these moves help you with the contract negotiations with Rickie Weeks: “It might help with Rickie, but it has to help with his agent. I don’t know; I don’t get into that. It’s up to the players. The players have to make decisions as to where they want to be. They’re grown men. They’re adults. I don’t force them, I don’t push them. They’re adults to make adult decisions, so that’s up to the players.”

Anyone else read this that Rickie wants to get something done but the agent may be holding back?

The two sides are still talking, I assure you of that. Nobody is going to give up details, because it is an active negotiation, in fact, Doug Melvin dodged the question today, but they are definitely in contact.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping when he deflected that question earlier today. Hooray!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvin in the JS blog:

Do these moves help you with the contract negotiations with Rickie Weeks: “It might help with Rickie, but it has to help with his agent. I don’t know; I don’t get into that. It’s up to the players. The players have to make decisions as to where they want to be. They’re grown men. They’re adults. I don’t force them, I don’t push them. They’re adults to make adult decisions, so that’s up to the players.”

Anyone else read this that Rickie wants to get something done but the agent may be holding back?

I read this as "well, if Rickie wants to do something us, he'd better let his agent know".. just didnt feel very positive to me

I have no idea if a deal will get done, or when, or for how much. I do know the two sides are talking...for certain. I know Doug Melvin will not discuss this stuff while he's negotiating, don't read too much into his answers when he's asked about what's currently in progress...sort of like how no one saw the Marcum trade coming...the Brewers do a great job of keeping things quiet.

Is it possible the thing falls apart? Yes, if the two sides can't reach an agreement. Are the two sides actively working on this? Yes, absolutely.

I don't see this as something that happens in two days...Rickie has a great skill set and is coming off a big year, but he has the injuries in his past...he's tough to project. It'll probably take some negotiating.

There's plenty of time for this to get done...it's December.

I have no idea if a deal will get done, or when, or for how much. I do know the two sides are talking...for certain. I know Doug Melvin will not discuss this stuff while he's negotiating, don't read too much into his answers when he's asked about what's currently in progress...sort of like how no one saw the Marcum trade coming...the Brewers do a great job of keeping things quiet.

Is it possible the thing falls apart? Yes, if the two sides can't reach an agreement. Are the two sides actively working on this? Yes, absolutely.

I don't see this as something that happens in two days...Rickie has a great skill set and is coming off a big year, but he has the injuries in his past...he's tough to project. It'll probably take some negotiating.

There's plenty of time for this to get done...it's December.

Were you the tipsters on the Grienke trade? Or the gunman in the grassy knoll?

No grassy knoll or Greinke scoop here...but in this case, I have a rock-solid source.

Nobody is going to give me details at this point, like how much money they're after, etc...that just wouldn't happen, nor should it. The Brewers have stated several times that they'd like to keep Rickie in Milwaukee, and they've also publicly acknowledged Rickie's interest in exploring a deal.

I'm not telling anyone that a deal will get done, because I don't know that for certain, but I am telling everyone that the two sides are working on this...this is not like Prince's situation where one side walked away.

I'd like to see them extend Rickie. It's going to be tough to keep things going after 2012. Having some more Braun, Weeks, maybe Hart, Gallardo, Axford and probably a Marcum extension could keep them within spitting distance of .500 post-Prince and Greinke leaving. You never know if DM can find a few scrap heap gems to get lucky on to keep the team competitive and the fans interested while he rebuilds the farm. If it's a reasonable deal that factors in Rickie's injury history it will probably be worth doing.

Archived