Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers extend Weeks? [Latest: Won't negotiate once Spring Training starts]

paul253

Still just GM-speak, but a minor update nonetheless in TH's most recent blog post:

I asked Melvin if trading Lawrie made it even more imperative to sign incumbent second baseman Rickie Weeks to a contract extension. Weeks can be a free agent after the 2011 season.

"Our goal is to sign Rickie long-term," said Melvin. "Rickie has indicat[e]d he'd like to stay with us."

Melvin said he and assistant Gord Ash have a meeting scheduled here with

agent Greg Genske to jump-start negotiations for an extension. He said

he couldn't characterize what chance there was of striking a deal but

added, "It's something we want to do."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From a source who would absolutely, positively know...Weeks' extension is being worked on at this moment.

It's possible that a deal does not get done, but that would surprise me, the issue absolutely seems to be a priority for the team.

Awesome. Hopefully sooner than later. The longer we go without, the less chance I think it gets done.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I get the feeling something will get done, and relatively soon. We've heard enough comments and hints saying that Rickie wants an extension with Milwaukee. I know getting Rickie re-signed will make people feel better about the Lawrie trade as well.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I know getting Rickie re-signed will make people feel better about the Lawrie trade as well.
No doubt. If you've got Rickie signed long-term, then it feels a bit better trading an "up and coming" 2nd basemen, even though there are doubts he would stick at 2nd. I like the deal, but would like it even more if Rickie gets signed.

In reading Doug Melvin's recent comments, it would seem as though nothing substantive had happened on this issue until recent days. I do know the interest in an extension is mutual, and I do know they are working on it...I do not know if they are getting close, or just beginning that process, etc.

If I hear anything further, I'll pass it along.

In reading Doug Melvin's recent comments, it would seem as though nothing substantive had happened on this issue until recent days. I do know the interest in an extension is mutual, and I do know they are working on it...I do not know if they are getting close, or just beginning that process, etc.

If I hear anything further, I'll pass it along.

Splitter, any insider info on what the years and money involved would be from the Brewers perspective?

Bah, wish they'd find a trade partner for Weeks and sign Hudson to a couple year deal. Of course, a team would be foolish to give up something for Weeks when they could just go get Hudson themselves. Too bad it's not Weeks' walk year.

Rickie sure has a lot of supporters on this board, though!

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Bah, wish they'd find a trade partner for Weeks and sign Hudson to a couple year deal. Of course, a team would be foolish to give up something for Weeks when they could just go get Hudson themselves. Too bad it's not Weeks' walk year.

Rickie sure has a lot of supporters on this board, though!

I say that Rickie should be locked up. ASAP. Hudson dreams of being the player that Weeks is. There is probably good reason that he's been on three teams in three years, looking for a fourth. The last guy like that the Brewers picked up with Estrada, and he was a colossal bust.

I haven't been the biggest Weeks fan at times, but he's proving me wrong. I'd love to see him sign an extension.

If we lose Prince, what are the chances of Weeks moving down in the lineup? Or do folks prefer he stay at the leadoff spot?

Once Prince is dealt, I am firmly in support of moving Rickie to #3 and Braun to #4.
I like this idea as well. But it will depend on if Cain can produce a good enough OBP to bat lead-off.
I think that's a likely scenario. They might start with McGehee cleanup though to ease in Cain a little bit to see how he does. Then hopefully he plays well and becomes the leadoff hitter, which would allow Rickie to move to the 3 hole.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I haven't been the biggest Weeks fan at times, but he's proving me wrong. I'd love to see him sign an extension.

If we lose Prince, what are the chances of Weeks moving down in the lineup? Or do folks prefer he stay at the leadoff spot?

I would keep him in the leadoff spot. He's most likely gonna hit a low avg (but have a good obp) so I think he'd drive people mad when he has a runner on 3rd with less than two outs and strikes out.

I'm not sure how I feel on extending Weeks. You'd have been hard pressed to find a bigger Weeks supporter than me from 03-09, but I just don't trust him to stay healthy. He basically had the same year he always did but just had a ton of plate appearances to make his counting stats go up.

I'll root like hell for him whatever happens to him. He's a class act and one of the hardest working players in the league. At the end of the day though, I think taking the arby picks would be the wisest path to take.

Valpocrewsader appears in game threads particularly when Weeks makes an error or strikes out in a key spot. Nothing to see here. I knew he hated the guy, but I never thought he hated him as much to replace him with Hudson. Ouch.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I worry that Rickie is seeing mega dollars after 2011 and wants to test free agency. It's not hard after seeing Werth get $126 million. He might be thinking that will be him next year.

Think about this - if he can repeat his 2010 performance in 2011 - what's he worth in FA? $15-16 million?

Rickie doesn't seem like he's afraid of risks, and you wonder if he might roll the dice next year and come out bent offseason with a massive contract.

I really hope we can sign him - but I won't be shocked if it does not happen.

These talks wouldn't have been productive at all if that was the case reillymcshane. They would be over.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Once Prince is dealt, I am firmly in support of moving Rickie to #3 and Braun to #4.
absolutely! for Weeks' skillset, i've long been anxious to see what he can do slotted at the #3 or 5/6, where i think he fits even better. i've always been a big Weeks fan and hope he's with the Brewers for a very long time.

Archived