Brewer Fanatic

What are the thoughts on right field for the crew?

BREWCREW5

I think Hart definitely fell out of graces with management. It would've been a totally different scenario had he won his arby case and came into spring training smashing the ball. He didn't, he arguably looks worse. You take that with a better career hitter and defender and a manager who just loves the old guys, I think Hart is expendable.

Except that last night Reyes was having control issues and it was likely going to big the longest outing of his season so its hard to get anything off of that. That said Macha needs to show he's willing to pull Edmonds against a LOOGY (this would all be better if Edmonds was hitting 2nd so that the opposing manger won't be able to switch out the LOOGY out).

I think they are going with a platoon with Edmons vs righties and Hart vs lefties unless someone can prove they deserve better (or worse) than that.

Last night in the 8th the Cardinals had Jason Motte (RHP) up in the bullpen when Edmonds came to bat against Reyes (LHP). So the decision was to go with Edmonds rather than bring Hart in to presumably face Motte.

...its nice and green. Wish the wall was back a bit farther, but its Ok. Gorman's Grill is a neat place to hang out. Hard place to really enjoy the action...but its still Miller Park, so I'll take it.

Hart is also the only RH bat on the bench when he's not starting and could be needed to pinch hit for a pitcher instead of for a position player.

I'm glad to see the platoon, but I really hope it will be more of a "soft platoon," as I agree with Brewer Fever that Edmonds will not be able to maintain a full season of playing 75+% of the time, and Hart has no chance of "catching fire" with one start a week. As expected, Gerut's only had 1 AB which will assure that he'll be full of rust when he's needed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It was good to see Hart get some good at bats today and an RBI. I was at the game and there were plenty of boos when his name was announced (plenty of cheers though, too). Small sample yadda yadda but in terms of psychology it would be great to see Hart get on a little hot streak for a week or two

Considering that Hart wasn't even considered to PH for Edmonds last night with a lefty on the mound, I'm not entirely sure it's that black-and-white, Ennder.
They had an opposite handed reliever up in the pen. I think it came down to who do you expect to have the highest percentage change vs. the opposite handed pitcher.

I'm disappointed that Jody Gerut's getting shafted in favor of Edmonds and Gomez. Count me as a Gerut fan - I'll be rooting for a CF start for him tomorrow.

As for right field, I'd lean towards Edmonds on most righties and use Hart vs. lefties...pretty much how they're doing it now. Not sure how that's going to work long-term, but I'm sure attrition will come into play as the season goes on, might as well have them both getting as consistent ABs as possible.

I think it came down to who do you expect to have the highest percentage change vs. the opposite handed pitcher.

Sure, but Hart wasn't even loosening up. So Macha never even gave a thought to Hart batting vs the RHP instead of Edmonds vs the LHP even before Reyes' control was shown to be suspect last night.

This is the problem. If Hart's status was so tenuous that a bad spring training would mean he'd be replaced by a retread old guy that nobody else wanted by the start of the season, then why did they waste their money tendering him? What was management thinking? You don't budget $4-5 million for a guy you have serious doubts about. Heck, they could have used that money and signed Felipe Lopez and stuck him in RF and then they'd have a true number 2 hitter. Also, where's the consistency? They think nothing of trusting 20% of their starts to washed up Suppan, but aren't willing to give Hart consistent AB's for 6 weeks before pulling the plug? They gave Hall 2 months last year. Why is this situation any different?

Edmonds isn't the answer either. In fact, he's part of the problem. He's got a strong persona as a very recognizable figure in the game for nearly 2 decades. It's stronger than many managers including Macha and that's not good. He's going to get basically what he wants. Can he still play and produce? That's a maybe at best.

Count me with the guys that think Gerut should be getting more of an opportunity. Gerut is just 2 years removed from posting an .845 OPS playing in San Diego. At 32, I think it's more likely that he'd repeat that than Edmonds being able to duplicate the .822 OPS he did combined for Cubs and Pads in 08.

I was at the game yesterday, Hart looked fine at the plate. 2 for 4, got an RBI, took some pitches. I think you keep Hart as a platoon guy vs lefties, and you hope Edmonds can still produce at his '08 clip

Now that is my opinion based on the reality of the situation. In retrospect I would have sold high on Hart after '07 and traded him, and signed Adam Dunn to play RF. Dunn would have been a perfect #5 hitter behind Prince, and you bat Casey in the #2 spot. Hindsight is 20/20 of course

Edmonds isn't the answer either. In fact, he's part of the problem. He's got a strong persona as a very recognizable figure in the game for nearly 2 decades. It's stronger than many managers including Macha and that's not good. He's going to get basically what he wants.
I didn't realize it until I read this post, but this gets at the heart of what bugs me about Edmonds being on the roster and playing so much. Is it because this is good for the team, or is it what Diego wants? Thus far, I've had a nagging feeling it's the latter.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have to believe it was a promise for playing time. I can imagine Edmunds saying he wants to be more than a PH with an occasional start, or he'll retire or try to work out a deal with someone else. No matter the reason, Edmunds just shouldn't be playing this much.

Archived