Brewer Fanatic

CC on the 2010 schedule magnet; or, What makes a "Brewer Great"

I almost posted this in the off-topic, since it's pretty inconsequential (perhaps), but when I made my yearly pilgrimage to eBay to get a Brewers schedule magnet, I noticed that CC was on it representing the 2000s:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ytwqh0.jpg

It struck me as odd--even if it was meant to represent specific "big moments" (Aaron's last home run, Coop's ALCS Game 5 RBI, Yount's 3000th), and it apparently wasn't, based on the photos, I couldn't quite place what CC's "moment" was supposed to be. If it was meant to be "Brewers' Greats," I wish they'd gone with Prince or Braun (who hasn't been on one yet, although there's time), someone who is part of the Brewers' present and future (and, whom I'd argue, were just as key to the Brew Crew's '08 playoff return as CC). When I think of the Brewers teams of the Oughts, it'll likely be Prince I think of--he was there before, during, and after CC, and hopefully for a long time to come.

I mean, I understand and appreciate what CC did in his time here. Like people said in the LaPorta thread, it was magical in a lot of ways. But I think I'll always think of that brief period with Sabathia as like "The Legend of CC" or whatever (like he was Shane...rode in, saved our bacon, and rode out), not an actual "Brewer great."

(I guess it could be argued that it's a little ridiculous that Hank Aaron is on there, too, but at least he was a Brewer for more than 4 months and played in Milwaukee for a dozen years before that.)

Which of course raises the question of, what makes a "Brewer Great"? Is there really a time frame? Probably not. And you could (and probably would) argue that CC in 4 months had more of an impact than, say, Jenkins did in several years as The Man here.

So maybe he is a "Brewer Great." (Which makes me wonder if Houston fans think of Carlos Beltran as an "Astros Great," but whatever). It still strikes me as odd and even just a little bit embarrassing that the Brewers put a guy who is currently actively playing for another team, who in fact turned down a strong offer from the Brewers to play for that team, on their schedule magnet this year.

Anyway.

CC had one of the best half seasons in,what,the last 30 years with us?

And basically got them into the playoffs almost single-handedly. I really am not embarrassed by that at all. That year was magic.

In 10-20 years from now, we will all remember how great CC was for our team and how essential he was for that season. Sure, over the course of multiple seasons, Braun and Prince have done more, but no one has effect the club in as short of a time period as CC Sabathia. I have no problem recognizing him on the calendar.

Also, I'm pretty sure those are the 4 bobble heads that are being given out this season, so it matches the other promotions.

It's a little weird to have someone repping the (albeit) recent past on the schedule magnet who didn't retire as a Brewer. But the situation would be similar, had Ben Sheets been the 2000s representative.

Aaron, Coop and Yount have a lengthy shared history with Milwaukee/the Brewers (as well as at least one special moment each), and CC has just "the moment." I'd say both are valid ways to commemorate history. According to my employer, history is all about people's stories, and the story of Sabathia in Milwaukee is certainly an interesting one.

When I think of CC swooping in to save the day, for some reason I've always thought of the Simpsons' Senor Ding Dong:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100405003626/simpsons/images/e/ee/Senor_Ding_Dong.jpg

Also, on a largely unrelated note, I'm slightly disappointed to see the schedule magnet oriented vertically. Horizontally oriented magnets of that size fit much better on my steel desk at work. Oh well.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Wait, they're actually giving out a CC bobble head this year?
Yeah, I guess I'm surprised people aren't a little embarrassed about it.

The guy is a Yankee. He's now been a Yankee longer than he ever was with the Brewers (twice as long in fact).He chose to go there over the Brewers (and found more success with them than he did here).

Do this after he retires, I have no problem with it. But come on.

Come on guys...

The Brewers are trying to honor the memories of the last 40 years by commemorating one moment in each of the 4 decades of Brewers baseball. What moment stands out more in the 2000s than CC closing out the last game of the year in 2008?

Come on guys...

The Brewers are trying to honor the memories of the last 40 years by commemorating one moment in each of the 4 decades of Brewers baseball. What moment stands out more in the 2000s than CC closing out the last game of the year in 2008?

Well, I mean, from that game alone:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_keT95ds1BKk/SpM-OuZ4iVI/AAAAAAAAAVY/2DnyIZDV600/s320/braunplayoffclincher

That trot is iconic to me.

Again, I am no way diminishing what CC did in his time here: he was awesome, and it was awesome, and we likely don't make the playoffs without him (like, I literally can't imagine it). It was, to reiterate, AWESOME.

But it's just weird to me to be celebrating a guy who is still playing, but for another team, and a team that he chose over the Brewers, in fact. There are other strong candidates currently with the Crew to represent the 2000s.

It looks more like a bobble of Michael Jackson in a Brewers uniform. I want no part of CC as a bobble, magnet or anything else. I appreciate what he did, but he left for more money(and I don't blame the guy for that, it was a good decision). He is barely a Brewer in my mind. Just a guy playing out the string until he got paid. I am a Brewers fan. CC is a Yankee.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It looks more like a bobble of Michael Jackson in a Brewers uniform. I want no part of CC as a bobble, magnet or anything else. I appreciate what he did, but he left for more money(and I don't blame the guy for that, it was a good decision). He is barely a Brewer in my mind. Just a guy playing out the string until he got paid. I am a Brewers fan. CC is a Yankee.

I guess I'm very surprised to hear this sort of talk from anyone. CC risked a lot while playing for the Brewers. I can't count how many times he went out on short rest and pitched deep into ball games. Sure he wasn't here long, but he is a Brewer to me.

Holy smoke, playing out the string? Perhaps no player has laid more on the line without a contract to protect him the next year than CC did in September and October, pretty much pitching complete game after complete game on 3 days rest for weeks on end. The guy earned every penny the Yankees paid him for taking the ball and wanting the ball the way he did. I am a Brewers fan too, which is why I will always be grateful for what he did for the team in 2008.

CC didn't simply have one of the greatest half-seasons of any Brewer, but one of the best of any baseball player, period. Winning the world series in New York was certainly a huge career moment for him, but I think what he did in Milwaukee has been the most impressive and memorable part of his career thus far. We were all incredibly lucky to be able to watch him work his magic.

And it's not like he was a traitor. Everybody knew he was going for free agency after the season. That's why Cleveland traded him. I have nothing but fond memories of CC, and am proud to see the Brewers acknowledging him as one of the greats of the 2000s.

Though I usually change the channel when I see CC Sabathia in pinstripes these days (though I don't begrudge him personally for taking all that money), I'll never forget how good he was in 2008. Without him, we'd probably still be sitting around talking about "28 years of futility". The Brewers are simply commemorating a memorable moment from each decade, along with the bobble tie-in. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting the CC bobble. So what if he's on a different team now? For those special three plus months, he was amazing for Milwaukee, and I won't forget it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One could state that that our moment of the 2000 decade is making the playoffs as a wildcard is embarrassing. Obviously much better than the previous 20something years, but Cubs and Cardinal fans would snicker at that "achievement." (Of course, Pirate fans are envious...)

I guess it could be argued that it's a little ridiculous that Hank Aaron is on there, too...

I find it ridiculous that a team "claims" all the events and players from a franchise when they resided in another city. Hammerin' Hanks time as a Brave in Milwaukee should proudly be claimed by Milwaukee. Brewers or Braves, who cares. It happened here. Like the '57 WS victory.

I find it ridiculous that a team "claims" all the events and players from a franchise when they resided in another city. Hammerin' Hanks time as a Brave in Milwaukee should proudly be claimed by Milwaukee. Brewers or Braves, who cares. It happened here. Like the '57 WS victory.

I'm confused by what you are trying to say here... that it doesn't matter what jersey he had on, only the city he played in? That would kind of defeat the purpose of celebrating 40 years of Brewers baseball in Milwaukee.

I want a Jim Bouton in a Pilots uniform bobblehead

And sorry, I still think it's silly celebrating a guy who's currently playing for another team: why don't we have a bobble this year of Ben Sheets getting his strikeout record (and yeah, I know we did...when he played here).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm confused by what you are trying to say here... that it doesn't matter what jersey he had on, only the city he played in?

This was a general comment, not specific to this discussion. But yes. Why should Atlanta celebrate the '57 WS victory, when it happened in Milwaukee?

That would kind of defeat the purpose of celebrating 40 years of Brewers baseball in Milwaukee.

Agreed, if the "memory" on the calendar was as a Brave... I'm guessing its supposed to be either his last home run, the one that broke Ruth's record, or both.

Archived