Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo extension coming today? -- Latest: 5-year, $30M extension

This is great news. As we all know, Sheets became a big injury liability after he signed his 4-year deal with the Brewers, but he was still very valuable and helped lead us to the playoffs. Even if Gallardo has some injuries down the road, his upside is too good to pass up. He is only 24 years old and has put up a 200 K season.

I don't think the Brewers will be able to sign Prince and this is the next best thing.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love this!!!!!! The only thing that would have been better would be a press conference announcing that Jeff Suppan has decided to retire. And that he would be giving up his salary for this year and next. But one can dream, right?

Would be cool to have Yo locked up. Very exciting.

As for 2014, yes if Prince is here, it will probably be for $20M or more. But the Brewers would probably have someone at C in their first year of arby, they will probably have someone at 2B that is pre-arby, Escobar at SS in his 2nd year of arby, someone at 3B that would either be prearby or no later than last year in arby, and they should have two outfilelders in prearby or first year of arby.

Pitching is always hard to predict, but the Brewers should have at least a couple of starters that are prearby or 1st year, and should have a couple of relievers that are the same. So, sure, the Brewers could have $41M locked into 3 players, but they should still be able to afford a decent team with another $45-$50M or more.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If they sign Prince he'll be getting more than $15 million in 2014. That's three years after he would be a free agent. I would expect it to be around $20-22 million.

Yeah I was being conservative. If it is $20 million than that's $41 million to three guys. Half your payroll.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Dang, I would have liked a second FA year bought out with an additional option year, but this is definitely a step in the right direction from my perspective.

They did. His first FA year is 2014. Option year will be for his 2nd FA year in 2015.

Dang, I would have liked a second FA year bought out with an additional option year, but this is definitely a step in the right direction from my perspective.

They did. His first FA year is 2014. Option year will be for his 2nd FA year in 2015.

Yeah, but who's option is it in 2015?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I believe he's saying he wanted two free agent years guaranteed to be bought out with an option for a third free agent year bought out.

Just for a picture, if Yo's contract is .5, 3.25, 5.5, 7.75, 11.25, and 13 million, and Prince were to accept a 5 year, $100 Million contract. This is about how much the Brewers would owe these three players through 2015.

2010 - $12, 287,500

2011 - $27,538,000

2012 - $31,788,000

2013 - $36,538,000

2014 - $41,538,000

2015 - $45,288,000

I didn't explain that very well... I would have rather bought out through 2015 (the idea being we a lost of season production already in 2008) with option years in '16 and '17. I'd like to find a way to keep our core players around 10 years or so if they are still effective, but a minimum of 8. It all ties back to buying wins at a reduced rate, which is what the Brewers are doing with a contract like this. For the security of the deal, the player should be willing to forfeit some salary. My answer to the Braun question about money left on the table is 0, he sacrificed that additional income for a lifetime of security on the front end. We don't want our best players ending up in Fielder type situations where we have to pay market value, the Brewers are much better off making deals like they have with Braun and Yo, as in they need to assume some risk in order to gain cost certainty and roster flexibility down the road. I've beaten those concepts to death in other much longer posts in different threads, but I think it's worth repeating 1 last time.

I'm thrilled that we'll have Yo through '15 if we want him and his contract will be extremely tradable if he would become the odd man out for any reason. We're due for some good luck with our starting pitching prospects health wise and I'm hoping that by '13 or '14 we find ourselves in the situation the Rays have been in the last couple of season where they are trading excess SP talent for needs elsewhere.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

To me, who's option it is is very important. I never view player options as being a good thing for a club. Seems to me, if a player accept a player option, then he most likely has not lived up to his contract. If a player has out performed his contract, he's probably going to reject the option year. Basically a no-win situation for the team.

I'm very glad that they are guaranteeing that they get Gallardo another year or so but, and I know some will disagree, to me this point to further evidence that they are pessimistic about signing Fielder.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Brewers haven't done a mutual or player option in some time. I'd be surprised if it isn't a club option.

I have to be the Nth person to chime in with how great this is. Sure, there's some risk involved, but at least it comes with a payoff for the Crew in the two FA seasons.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

" further evidence that they are pessimistic about signing Fielder."

Unless they're trying to prove to him that they really want to be a contenter/winner.

Yeah, when the Twins signed Nathan and Morneau it did not show they were pessimistic about signing Mauer.

According to mlbtraderumors.com:

Gallardo received a $30.1MM deal. The 2015 option is for $13MM with a $600K buyout, according to the AP. The deal is a bit loaded toward the front, with the free agent year costing only $11.25MM.

to me this point to further evidence that they are pessimistic about signing Fielder.

You can certainly choose to be negative, but another point of view would be that the Twins locked up 3 players in the offseason before they extended Mauer. If the Brewers felt confident enough in Escobar and he was receptive, they could offer him a Longoria deal, but that would be a pure guess on my part (that deal was signed April 18th of his rookie year).

The Brewers haven't done a mutual or player option in some time. I'd be surprised if it isn't a club option.
Braden Looper and Doug Davis. Obviously different circumstances though.

I like getting Gallardo for a while. He is the guy I was more interested in extending over Fielder. I really don't see him as a #1 right now but he is a very good pitcher and having him and another guy or two as good would give us a very solid rotation. He is our ace, but I prefer an ace to be more of a workhorse. Gallardo isn't that guy right now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think if anything it would tell Fielder they are serious about paying their good players and being competitive going forward. I'm sure one thing that worries Fielder, in the back of his mind, is that if they give him a huge contract, they won't have a good core around him. Now at least they have Gallardo and Braun long term, and a core of good young cheap talent. This may not matter to Boras, but I bet it matters to Prince.

If Prince signs an extension, it opens up the "window of opportunity" in a huge way.

As far as the option on Gallardo's new deal, I would assume it is a club option. Otherwise why would there be that $600,000 buyout (assuming that info is accurate)?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Braden Looper and Doug Davis. Obviously different circumstances though.

Whoops. Jeez, thanks logan. Not sure how I whiffed on those.

I agree with Invader, though. If it were a player option, wouldn't the buyout be higher?

wait a minute-- what will that Levine guy from the Yankees say to this?? How will he respond now????

Seriously, assuming the figures are correct, I think this is a heck of a deal. You always have to wonder if another Higuera/Sheets situation will occur with injuries after the ink is dry but the Brewers need to show the fans, their teammates, and the rest of the majors that they are serious about contending for 4-5 more years, which could, in theory, help persuade some more/better free-agents to sign here.

If they can get Prince to do the same, I'll be a happy camper.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This is an interesting clause from the AP. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5067405

Gallardo could void the option if he accumulates six points under a system in which he earns five points for winning a Cy Young Award, three points for finishing second in voting and one point for finishing third.

I for one really hopes he accumulates 6 points. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fantastic news. We needed to get Yo locked up and having Braun locked up will definitely lead us in the right direction. We need to keep the core guys and make a run. If, and this is a big if, Weeks stays healthy I would love to see him extended after this year, but that's putting the cart before the horse.

I wonder why this means for Prince. Yay or nay?

kramnoj[/b]]to me this point to further evidence that they are pessimistic about signing Fielder.

You can certainly choose to be negative, but another point of view would be that the Twins locked up 3 players in the offseason before they extended Mauer. If the Brewers felt confident enough in Escobar and he was receptive, they could offer him a Longoria deal, but that would be a pure guess on my part (that deal was signed April 18th of his rookie year).

Hey, I hope I'm wrong...and yes, maybe the positive spin is that this shows Fielder how serious management is about putting together a winning team. However, as long as Boras is Fielder's agent, I'm not going to get to optimistic about the Brewer's chances of signing him.

This is an interesting clause from the AP. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5067405

Gallardo could void the option if he accumulates six points under a system in which he earns five points for winning a Cy Young Award, three points for finishing second in voting and one point for finishing third.

I for one really hopes he accumulates 6 points. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That is pretty creative. I really can't wait to see the official specifics on this deal.

Archived