Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Thursday 4/8 -- Play Ball! (T-Rats postponed; doubleheader Friday)

Well Huntsville is having some technical issues with their audio, they didn't get the interview into the show, no commercials, and the MIC appears to be open to general stadium noise. Hopefully they get it figured out before game time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, Fiers is the opening day starter for BC tonight.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The boxcores aren't working properly for either Huntsville or BC, but gameday is working for the AA game.

- Plato

- Plato

Broadcast is spotty at best. Sometimes it cuts out all together, sometimes another game overrides, and some of the time there has been a horrible echo. I applaud SpaceCoast for the effort, but it isn't working very well.

What game are you having a problem with, if you want Huntsville I was able to just go to the Huntsville web site and the box score comes right up, and gameday link is just above box score, I am able to listen to the game with the Chag. radio site (better sound) and watch gameday play by play.

Apparently I didn't wait long enough to post, the boxscores had correct player lines but the score, hits, innings, errors, and so one were not showing up. Lots of little technical issues tonight. However everything is functioning properly now.

The quality of the BC audio is much better than the Huntsville audio, when the audio is actually coming through that is. Hopefully MiLB and the teams get past the glitches rather quickly.

Fiers is cruising by the way, 4IP and 5Ks

- Plato

- Plato

rough rough first couple of innings for brevard country, ouch.
Did the box score screw up and show the wrong score? It's showing 0-0 for me, and I just confirmed that score on the radio.

Looks like Rivas had a pretty solid start for Huntsville, and it should be noted that the Stars are facing a pretty solid pitching prospect in Chris Withrow. Brandon Kintzler is a decent relief sleeper; I'd be interested to know how hard he's throwing out of the pen this year.

EDIT: Kentrail Davis picks up his first pro hit on a grounder to short that sounds like it could/should have been an error.

Calis, the cubs pitcher throwing against BC tonight is hitting triple digits on occasion now? Cripes, I hope he continues to have control issues and just ends up as a reliever. K Davis makes a very nice rolling catch as I'm typing this for BC.

- Plato

- Plato

Calis, the cubs pitcher throwing against BC tonight is hitting triple digits on occasion now? Cripes, I hope he continues to have control issues and just ends up as a reliever.
Cal(l)is is the Baseball America writer. Dolis is the Cubs pitcher.

It's nice to be able to listen to the Manatees game and the Braves game at the same time, isn't it?

Though it's only one game, Fiers may be too old/advanced for success at this level to tell us anything other than that A-ball hitters struggle with good offspeed stuff and smart pitchers, though there are three or four decent hitting prospects in the Cubs lineup. He can't possibly be throwing that hard, given that he he topped out at 92 out of the pen.

Ha, I combined the 2 names, but yes I meant Dolis, as Stephen was just reading what Jim had written about him.

edit. Is the Huntsville audio working for anyone? I'm unable to tune back into that game.

- Plato

- Plato

but if fiers does have great control and 4 good pitches there is no reason we cant get excited about him. if he touches 89-90 as a starter im okay with that.
I'm not knocking him; I'm just saying that he's probably one of those guys who's not really going to be tested until AA, similar to Rob Wooten.

Nashville's all over Iowa early, 5-0 in the third. Both Brendan "Boom Boom" Geoffrion Katin and Adam Heether have gone deep. Angel Salome's 1-2.

Kentrail Davis just tallied his first legitimate hit, a line drive single.

EDIT: Huntsville gives up four unearned runs over the last three innings to lose 4-2. Disappointing beginning to the season.

EDIT: Manatees score three in the 8th to win 3-0. Nice game. Kentrail Davis 2-3 with a walk in his pro debut.

EDIT: Sounds pull it out 6-3 behind two homers from Katin. Zach Braddock was dominant, coming on with two men on and no outs in the 7th and getting six straight outs, four via strikeout.

Dave Weiser at starsboxscore.com has a recap of the game up.

Opening day is like Christmas -- it's worth the wait to see what's inside the package. And it looked pretty right from the start.

In the 1st inning, leadoff hitter Lorenzo Cain singled on a 1-1 pitch near the line to left then stole 2nd with Brett Lawrie at the plate. Lawrie on a 2-2 pitch, doubled off the base of the wall in right-center field, and it was 1-0, just like that. After Caleb Gindl lined out, Jonathan Lucroy singled to left to send Lawrie to third. A sacrifice fly to left by Taylor Green made it 2-0. That would be it until Gindl walked in the 6th. And that was all the scoring they would do, as well........ Chris Withrow, the Dodgers' #2 minor league prospect (2nd to Lookouts shortstop Dee Gordon), retired 14 in a row. A fly ball to left-center by Lucroy in the 6th was the deepest ball the Stars could drive off Withrow, who is capable of peaking at 98 mph.

Amaury Rivas, in his Stars debut, did very well, holding the Lookouts for five innings, and striking out four, but threw 80 pitches, 51 for strikes. He got into a little bit of a jam after he walked Efrain Herrera with two out in the 5th. Herrera stole on a low strike two to Trayvon Robinson, then advanced to third on a throwing error by Lucroy, but Rivas closed out his night, getting Robinson to fan on a high pitch.

The Lookouts did get their run in the next inning with two outs off reliever Brandon Kintzler. Andrew Lambo, who hit a club-leading 39 doubles for the Lookouts last year, led off the inning reaching first on a fielding error by Zelous Wheeler that was originally ruled a single. After Lucas May struck out and Eduardo Perez flied out, Scott Van Slyke, the son of former major league outfielder Andy, doubled on a sharp drive down the line past Taylor Green. But Jaime Pedroza then drove a ball that Lorenzo Cain caught just five feet from the wall to end the inning.

The Stars tried to get something going in the 7th. Haydel and Wheeler both singled to right with two out, but Chris Errecart sent a waist-high 1-2 pitch back to the mound for the 3rd out. That, as it turned out, was the last shot for the Stars........

The Lookouts rallied, again thanks to the Stars' leaky infield defense tonight......... With one out, Andrew Lambo walked. Robert Hinton came in to replace Casey Baron on the mound. On a 1-2 inside pitch, Lucas May slapped a ball to Green, who threw it away and Hinton had runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, Lambo going to third. Eduardo Perez followed and hit a ground ball to Wheeler. Zee made a fine play, moving to his left, doing a 360°, then firing the ball to the plate, where Lucroy made the slap tag on Lambo for the 2nd out........ That was fine defense after Taylor's error, but Hinton could not get the Stars out of the inning. With Perez on first and May on third, Van Slyke drove a 2-1 pitch over Haydel's head. The ball came off the wall for a double, and the Lookouts had a 3-2 lead. Tommy Giles sealed the deal with a line drive single to right, making it 4-2. And that was all she wrote........ Robert Hinton, who was 0-6 last year, took the loss. He made his 113th appearance for the Stars, moving him in 3rd place ahead of former Oakland Athletic Steve Phoenix on the all-time list.

Of the three openers the Stars have played against Chattanooga, this was their first loss. They beat the Lookouts, 9-7 in 2000 and 10-0 in 1995. Both those games were played at the Joe....... Friday, Alexandre Periard will make his return on the mound for Huntsville against Alberto Bastardo, a left-hander who is adept at keeping the ball down. The Stars beat him last year, 12-1 on June 25, when Zach Braddock became the first pitcher in Stars history to hit a grand-slam. Bastardo beat them on July 11 and wound up 6-3 for the Lookouts that year........ The Stars are now 15-10 on Opening Day, 7-5 since the Brewers became an affiliate.........

Archived