Brewer Fanatic

what are the thoughts on Matt Laporta?

BREWCREW5
I see he is starting the year in the majors but he is 25. Is anyone upset that we traded him for CC at this point? I haven't followed him too much but I am wondering if he still considered to be an all star at first base?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most projections I've seen predict an average career. Even if he's the next Berkman, however, I can't really argue with the deal...the summer of CC was magical and without him: no playoffs.

Besides, wasn't LaPorta drafted specifically for the purpose of being the main piece in a CC-type deal?

Being at the ballpark on September 28th, 2008 was one of the top-3 days of my young life so far - I would have traded LaPorta, Gamel, Escobar, and Jeffries to have that much fun during the summer/fall of that year. (Okay, maybe not that much, but you get the point)

We'll never really know how he would have turned out had he not been traded, but I agree with the consensus in that the result was certainly worth the cost. I wonder, though, if we would have been better off trading Gamel instead of LaPorta. Gamel really struggled last year (although I blame a lot of that that on Melvin and Macha calling him up just to sit on the bench) and is off to a bad start this year with the injury. LaPorta would probably be playing right field right now if he was still in Milwaukee.

On another note involving the trade, remember how Cleveland got to choose between Lucroy, Green, Cain, and Brantley? Are we satisfied here with their selection? Obviously Green and Cain have struggled with injuries, and I think we are all glad they didn't take Lucroy.

I think it was Xellence who told us about the story about Matt's big-time attitude problem, snubbing some team auto signing in the minors. That always stuck with me, and since, I've hoped the guy busts. Between that, his horrendous "road to the majors" blog (least insightful blog I've ever read), and CC's reign of domination here, I think we made out pretty good by getting rid of the guy.

I wish Brantley all the best though.

I think it was Xellence who told us about the story about Matt's big-time attitude problem, snubbing some team auto signing in the minors

I chimed in with that. I don't know if X was there first hand...not sure on that one. I was there a few times with my little brother and family asking for LaPorta's autograph in Huntsville and he ignored or just said 'later'. I know there are some autograph hounds out there who will sell and the such, but if anyone has been to a Huntsville or Nashville game there is no competition. I'll admit I still ask for autographs and I collect them and place them all in a case. A guy like Gamel has signed for me a few times and I've talked to him and he's a real cool guy. Same thing with Escobar in Huntsville and Nashville. I'd never sell the autographs unless I was going under financially. I've met a ton of guys during this and they're pretty cool at Huntsville and Nashville because believe it or not...nobody is/was asking for guys like LaPorta, Gamel, Escobar, etc. to sign autographs. The times I've had Gamel sign and talk to him it was just me, my wife, and him in the area.

Going back to the trade, I guess we'll see where LaPorta and Gamel line up in the bigs. I love Gamel's game. I think it will play. There is no doubt LaPorta has some strengths...I just think the Brewers traded him at the right time. He can't play OF at an average level. To me, he was always going to be the replacement for Prince (if need be). I don't claim to be an expert random fan scout or anything, but LaPorta's defense in OF was sketchy....to say the least. Again, I wish Matt the best in Cleveland. I was really put off with his attitude. I know it is hard to believe, but in Huntsville or Nashville if you even wanted a guy like Braun to sign something or talk to him...you easily could. LaPorta is the only guy I've known/seen to really ignore fans. Brewers sent down on assignments have been very personable and again...it is not about signing. To me, it is about appreciating the fan base...which are not strong at Huntsville or Nashville, but I digress.

In closing, I don't want to lead the thread astray, but what upset me the most is LaPorta's value system. I don't want to break some bf.net rules so I will try to leave that where it is. I just have an issue with someone saying one thing and living the other aspect. Shunning a handful of kids (which I've seen) in Huntsville for autographs is really embarrassing if you ask me...

I don't think we can question the trade because CC carried us to the playoffs. I miss Brantley far more, though. At the same time, I was among those who felt it was an easy decision of Hart over Nelson Cruz. Right now I'm feeling foolish. Hopefully Corey can return to that old form.

Actually, the LaPorta stuff didn't come from X, it comes from Huntsville's GM Buck Rogers. Buck has proven to be very entertaining yet brutally honest, and I believe Mass Hass actually linked the write up from Buck about how LaPorta wouldn't sign his jerseys on the way out which were ticketed for a charity of some sort. I want to say it had something to do with disabled children, but I'm not sure.

As far as what I think about LaPorta the player... well, I always felt the OF was a sham and he was a 1B. He has legit power, he's fully capable of playing at an all-star caliber level, but he also had some huge holes in his swing, and like we've found out with Corey Hart, MLB pitchers are going to exploit every flaw in a batter's approach until it's resolved. I always thought Gamel was the better prospect of the 2, but I'm not sure what his career is going to bring anymore either.

I have no problem that Brantley and LaPorta were traded for pitching, I just would have preferred a different package and have consistently posted such prior to and immediately following the trade. I just wanted someone with longevity to pair with Yo and bridge the gap to 2011 or 12. but we've beaten that topic to death in other threads.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Like others here I don't mind the results. We got to the playoffs, and I'm not optimistic we'll return soon. We got a monkey off our back.

I'm far more likely to wonder what would have happened if we'd never made some of the other smaller trades we've made. What if we had kept Balfour instead of trading him for McClung? Would our bullpen have been a lot deeper, and would we have had a better 2008? (I don't really think so, and after Balfour's 2009 season I no longer regret that trade).

JJ now has 2 HR's this season. Is he going to go have a career season now? (Logically, I know I shouldn't think this, but it's been my fear that we let him go at the wrong time).

With CC for those prospects, the risks and possible rewards were known and accepted by management and fans alike. You may disagree with them, but they're hard to flat out denounce. I think the CC we rented was the best possible version of CC. The "smaller" trades and change-of-scenery trades that have more unpredictable results are the ones that are more likely to bother me more.

The negative side of the deal is now being felt as they could have had Hart's replacement in place now and be saving his salary. I don't think that's so huge that the deal should be second guessed though. It was made because the opportunity was there and it did get them to the playoffs. There should be no second guessing dealing Hardy either. Escobar is and was ready to take over that job. It's unfortunate that he lowered his value by having a poor season at the wrong time. That's not saying Hardy's a bad player and not be able to bounce back from his off year. But as good as he is at his best, he's not a "special" player in the sense Braun and Fielder are. Assuming the Brewers can re-sign Prince it will be a priority to keep as many young players as possible to keep a rotation of cheaper but not lesser talent around the two special players. If Prince is signed to a huge contract, they will need to replace average or lesser players as they get into their arby years with homegrown talent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought he was originally drafted as Prince's replacement. But them moved to OF so both could/might play on the same team, but ultimately would be a 1B. I think most of the chatter back then was trading Prince when LaPorta was ready (with the assumption of the Boras FA factor on Prince).

JJ now has 2 HR's this season. Is he going to go have a career season now? (Logically, I know I shouldn't think this, but it's been my fear that we let him go at the wrong time).

Things had soured with JJ. His heir-apparent was waiting in the wings and he picked a bad time to have a poor season. He needed a change of scenery. Of course, Gomez has on OPS of 1.000 right now. What if both have career seasons?

I've wondered how trading Brantley would have effected the JJ trade. I'm sure we wouldn't have Gomez now, but Brantley in CF instead. (And oddly enough, they seem like very similar players except for OBP...).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't mind trading JJ to give Escobar a shot. I mind the return they got for JJ.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was actually thinking this the other day. I still don't mind the trade. I was a Brewers fan that was too young to enjoy 1982 but old enough to suffer through 21 years of never making the playoffs. I enjoyed the last week of that season so much that it was well worth it. People were worried that LaPorta would go onto a great career. He doesn't seem to be a blue chip player like Braun and Fielder.

I was at all of those key games at the end of the 2008 season, including the last game of the year. I went to both playoff games.

Even if LaPorta ends up going to the hall, the trade was still worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very early in the year, but so far....

Laporta: 40AB/0 HR/ 1 RBI/ .200 BA/ .256 OBP/ .250 SLG

Brantley: 32/0/3/.156/.229/.188

Brantley was sent back down to the minors on Monday.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived