Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-07 Rockies (Cook) at Brewers (Davis), 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-4]

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlos giving the brass a little something to think about with Soup coming back next week.

Not a chance. Even if he was a better SP, he isn't stretched out...

I believe he was just referring to whether or not he should be sent down to make room for Soup.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the 5th inning they'd be better off not going for one run.
I never understood the logic behind this, are runs worth less in the early innings? I think in all situations except late innings and down by a lot you should take a run that you can score without getting a hit, which only happens when you have R2 0 out or R3 1 out, not exactly the most common situations.

Carlos giving the brass a little something to think about with Soup coming back next week.
Ah, nuts, that's right.

My afternoon student called in sick, so I've only been able to follow the last few innings in bits and pieces. Hang on, Brewers. Do we still have Badger Mutual Insurance runs this year?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the 5th inning they'd be better off not going for one run.
I never understood the logic behind this, are runs worth less in the early innings? I think in all situations except late innings and down by a lot you should take a run that you can score without getting a hit, which only happens when you have R2 0 out or R3 1 out, not exactly the most common situations.

No, but consider the following options:

Inning: bottom 1, tie game, [80% chance of 1 run or 20% chance of 0 runs], [30% chance of 4 runs or 70% chance of no runs]

Inning: bottom 9, tie game, [50.1% chance of 1 run, 49.9% chance of no runs], [50% chance of 2+ runs, 50% chance of 0 runs]

In the second case, choice 1, there is a 75.1% chance of winning the game, and for choice 2, a 75% chance of winning the game, assuming each team has a 50/50 shot in extras. Thus, the 1 run play is a better option, although the second option has a higher mean runs scored.

In the first case, I won't compute the odds on winning, but the mean runs scored in case 1 is .8, and the mean runs scored in case 2 is 1.2. In this case, the 1.2 runs is most likely the best choice.

*NOTE: I know these situations are not exact, reasonable, etc, but this is a quick and dirty example of why it is not always better to go for one run.

Do we still have Badger Mutual Insurance runs this year?
Yes, we scored a few last night

Yep, saw them. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif What I didn't know is whether Badger Mutual is still a sponsor, hence continuing that name.

Diego time?.....no. Casey time?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

now that our school internet is back up, I see the Crew has taken the lead! Nice!

Can't wait to check out the game recording when I get home.

Was Hawkins really "on" in the 8th? Looked effortless on Gameday.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

*NOTE: I know these situations are not exact, reasonable, etc, but this is a quick and dirty example of why it is not always better to go for one run.
I am definetly not saying to always go for 1 run, only in situations when you can do so without getting a hit. I am not for bunting a guy to 2nd base in the 3rd inning.

I am definetly not saying to always go for 1 run, only in situations when you can do so without getting a hit. I am not for bunting a guy to 2nd base in the 3rd inning.
But the situation of the game still determines whether it is better to sacrifice the runner to third or not; in the fifth inning of a one run game, it is probably better to go for the big inning.

That's a big series win against a tough Rockies team.

The bullpen was excellent today pitching 5 scoreless innings. Macha did a nice job with his managing moves today. Kotteras had some trouble blocking balls today, but that was about the only negative. I'll give DD a pass today based on some iffy calls and defensive miscues.

Archived