Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-07 Rockies (Cook) at Brewers (Davis), 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-4]

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When discussing optimal game strategy, it's pretty irrelevant how it turned out in one instance. We have thousands of games of data that suggests it is generally a bad move to sacrifice bunt in that kind of situation. If Gomez was on his own and thought he could get a hit, so be it. I can't imagine he caught the corners napping, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
When discussing optimal game strategy, it's pretty irrelevant how it turned out in one instance. We have thousands of games of data that suggests it is generally a bad move to sacrifice bunt in that kind of situation. If Gomez was on his own and thought he could get a hit, so be it. I can't imagine he caught the corners napping, though.
I'm sure Macha and Co. emphasized in ST that he use the bunt more than he has in the past. But he needs to realize the game situation better (especially with Weeks on 2nd) as when not to.

It depends what you are trying to do. R3 1 out has a better chance of scoring 1 run that R1, R2 0 outs and obviously R2 1 out, so if you are playing for run there (when they were down by 1) bunting is the best play because it is much easier to execute than expecting a hit from Gomez. If you are just waiting around for HRs then its not the best play.

Just a friendly reminder that the IGT isn't really the place for one-word reaction posts to what happens in the game ("Yes!", "Boooo!", etc.) -- the chat room is a better place for that kind of thing.

Back to the game, hopefully the bullpen can hang on here. They might as well empty out the pen -- the relievers are well-rested after the first couple games, and there's an off-day tomorrow.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It depends what you are trying to do. R3 1 out has a better chance of scoring 1 run that R1, R2 0 outs and obviously R2 1 out, so if you are playing for run there (when they were down by 1) bunting is the best play because it is much easier to execute than expecting a hit from Gomez. If you are just waiting around for HRs then its not the best play.

Right, but I don't see why they would be playing for one run there.

I don't know how I feel about Gomez bunting for hits as often as he does. To a certain extent, I would think that a player like Gomez who is a threat to bunt for a hit would see defenses drawn in, leading to a higher BABIP on non-bunt ground balls. To me, whether the attempted bunt for hits are worth it is whether or not the benefit of the bunt hits and increased BABIP on non-bunt hits can outweigh the outs made while attempting to bunt for hits.

Funketown[/b]]Right, but I don't see why they would be playing for one run there.
Because they are down by 1 and have a chance to score a run without getting a hit which should be taken advantage of

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the 5th inning they'd be better off not going for one run.

Archived