Brewer Fanatic

Tim Hudson

trwi7
Quote:
If the Braves could find a team to pick up the remaining $33 million the 31-year-old is guaranteed over the next three seasons, plus give Atlanta some younger talent, they might have already traded Tim Hudson. They still might, if the right offer comes along. But it seems less likely given general manager John Schuerholz's stated offseason priority. "We're going to strengthen our pitching staff ," Schuerholz said. "That's goal No. 1. We're going to do everything we possibly can to return our pitching, from top to bottom, to the standards that were set around here for the last 15 years. That's our goal. And we believe we can do that." It's a Catch-22 with Hudson. The Braves want to rebuild their pitching, which faltered badly during a season in which their run of 14 consecutive titles ended. Hudson could be the nucleus of that project, if he returns to the form he displayed in Oakland. But if they hang onto him and he continues to muddle along, he'd become more difficult to trade after next season.

www.ajc.com/sports/conten...udson.html

Would you be interested in the Brewers picking him up? He's 31 and makes $6M in 2007 and $13M in 2008 and 2009. And if you are interested do you think Eveland, Inman and TGJ would be enough to get him?

I like Hudson...but that's too much money and too much talent for a guy that might be equal to doug davis over the next 3 years...He might be good, but his 2005 numbers would kill the brewers if he was being paid 13 million dollars...

let's spend that money on jason schmidt instead..

there might be a way to do something like:

Geoff Jenkins

TGJ

Mark Rogers

here...make them take some money back, but give them a good prospect also...If we could get Hudson for the equivalent of 3 years 23 million, i'd be much less concerned...

Davis would work pretty well also...

"but give them a good prospect also"

Eveland is a good prospect. We tend to discount him because he struggled at the big league level last year, but he just turns 23 this month and posted pretty impressive AAA numbers this past season (110 K's, 71 hits in 105 innings). Besides, the Braves are looking to get major league ready arms.

Quote:
Geoff Jenkins

TGJ

Mark Rogers

I think they want to get rid of salary and I don't think they'd have room in the outfield with Francoeur, Jones, Diaz, Johnson and Langerhans.

Maybe TGJ and Zach Jackson or Dana Eveland.

Quote:
you missed my point...I don't care if they need jenkins, but I'm not taking Hudson's contract unless they take a big one off our hands..

I guess they may take it since Jenkins is better than Langerhans and it'd only be a year for them...

'06 was a real mess for Hudson...is there a physical problem? His recent numbers, combined with the expense say "Do Not Touch" to me.

The Braves say they want to upgrade their staff for this year, if they deal Hudson at this point, are they not conceding his drop in value? "We want better pitching, we'll give you Tim Hudson." Unless they get 2-3 young arms for him that makes me think they believe he won't bounce back.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Given the great track record of pitchers the Braves unloaded....

Like Tom Glavine?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

His FIP has been high for two years straight. I think I'll pass.

That big of a jump in ERA to 4.86 and upward trend in WHIP is simply too big to not only pay a guy an average of $11M a year, but to give up talent to get him.

I think he could very well rebound and be awesome, but that's just a little too big of a risk. If it were more like $8M a year, then we're talking about a risk that's more worth taking.

With the salary difference, Davis alone could net Hudson.

Davis for Hudson and 7 million?

That would make it 24 mil over 3 years for a pitcher that was incredible until last year.

Hmm...Jenks makes 7 million. Maybe Davis and Jenks would get it done.

Like Tom Glavine?

Glavine left as a free agent, because of budget constraints more than anything. Besides Schmidt most of the Brave pitchers that have been moved have flopped with new teams. Don't know if it is insight or luck but they sure have gotten rid of most guys right before they crash.

I dont know why people think Jason Schmidt would come here for whatever his market value is. There are going to be better teams that arent Milwaukee shooting for this guy. A guy like hudson is our best chance of getting a guy who was a cy young contender every year before he went to Atlanta

If its going to take a few of our younger type guys to get him, I dont even mind the contract. Any pitcher at AAA last year would be just fine

Archived