Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Brevard County Manatees -- Latest: Scarpetta talks about improved control

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A more official link to the Brevard site should be forthcoming, but the Manatees have released a roster. Note that unlike the Nashville and Huntsville rosters, which still have to be reduced by one by Thursday, the Brevard roster has room for one more (both A-ball roster limits are 25, unlike AAA and AA, 24.)

Starters
RHP Michael Fiers -- that's pretty exciting, Fiers to the rotation
RHP Wily Peralta
LHP Dan Merklinger
RHP Cody Scarpetta
RHP Trey Watten / LHP Brandon Ritchie (some sort of tag-team, it appears)

Bullpen
RHP Ruben "Buddy" Flores
LHP Evan Frederickson
RHP Corey Frerichs
RHP Nick Green (closer)
LHP Lucas Luetge
LHP Daniel Meadows
RHP Nick Tyson

Catchers
Martin Maldonado
Anderson De La Rosa
Mike Roberts

Infield
1B Brock Kjeldgaard
MI Sergio Miranda
SS Brent Brewer
IF Matt Cline
IF Juan Sanchez

Outfield
Kentrail Davis
Erik Miller
Erik Komatsu

Suspended list -- RHP Jeremy Jeffress

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Two Erik's (with a "K") in the outfield...

Outside of Kjeldgaard, the infielders are pretty flexible position-wise.

Evan Frederickson reduced to middle relief, not what Jack Z. expected at this point. Here's hoping for the top-of-that-2008-draft combo of Lawrie - Odorizzi, because Frederickson -- Seth Lintz -- Cutter Dykstra -- Cody Adams completed the picks through the first two rounds, and they may pan out some day, but it's at best mostly cloudy right now for their forecasts...

With the Brevard roster released, we are officially in to year two of "Where is Josh Romanski?"

Cutter Dykstra not ending up on a full-season roster is a little heartbreaking. Have to feel for the guy, with all his dad's troubles.

Mike Brownstein or Brandon Sizemore would look good on this roster. Maybe we'll see one or the other back from Arizona soon. They won't be a man under the limit for long.

Moving Fiers in to the rotation is a pretty fascinating move, though I hope they think he has a chance to stick there because he's pretty old to be in A-ball. If it doesn't work, he should be relieving in AA soon.

Trey Watten is a good sleeper prospect.

And That wroteat
With the Brevard roster released, we are officially in to year two of "Where is Josh Romanski?"
That's a great question. Apart from Lawrie and Odorizzi, whom everyone expected to be good, Logan Schafer is really salvaging that draft right now.

Wow, Fiers to the rotation... I wonder if that's to give him more pitches to work on something specific. I'm not surprised about Frederickson, we heard such good things coming out of instructs but his results in the spring training boxscores still left quite a bit to be desired, he just doesn't throw enough strikes. The tag team is a bit of a surprise as well, unless Watten didn't get stretched out enough.

It's too bad about Dykstra, but the writing was on the wall when he didn't make the WI roster to start the season, unless of course he's hurt.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It just occurred to me that Seidel isn't listed on any rosters either, which is curious. It seems we have some talented players who should be playing in WI or above not on any rosters at the moment.

edit. I had that post which BK linked and had totally forgotten about it, it's hard to get anything past Mass.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

In all honesty there isn't a whole about about that roster that I am excited about. Scarpetta and Peralta are two of my favorite pitching prospects, and I am interested to see how Kentrail Davis does so I will follow those three, but offensively just not a whole lot of top notch prospects. I am actually a little surprised Brett Lawrie isn't playing in BC.

does the 2008 draft appear to be a letdown at this point considering the amount of picks in the top 100ish we had (6 I believe) and the only 3 who have my confidence of the early part of that draft is Brett Lawrie, Jake-O, and Logan Schafer. Maybe it is just me.

does the 2008 draft appear to be a letdown at this point considering the amount of picks in the top 100ish we had (6 I believe) and the only 3 who have my confidence of the early part of that draft is Brett Lawrie, Jake-O, and Logan Schafer. Maybe it is just me.

Frederickson, Dykstra, Lintz, and Adams sure don't make the top of that draft look very good today. The most disappointing part of the draft from my point of view is not the HS kids, you'll miss on a bunch of those guys, it's the reported pre draft velocities of Adams and Frederickson that suddenly disappeared once they started pitching professionally, or maybe never had at all in games and just flashed at the workouts.

There are still many players outside of Lawrie and Odorizzi having success; Bowman, Schafer, Lasker, Wooten (though injured), Bucci, Krestalude, Ritchie, and Meadows. It's certainly not a bad draft today, but it had the potential to be a franchise changing draft. If 1 or 2 of the 4 players I led off with break out then the draft suddenly becomes very intriguing.

- Plato

- Plato

Just a quick note to let people know that I've started posting Manatees videos on SpaceCoastBaseball.com. They're in the VIDEOS column on the left of the home page.

The second of fifteen webcasts is Thursday April 15 with the pre-game show at 6:50 PM EDT. You can get to the webcast through the SpaceCoastBaseball.com home page. We had some technical issues in the last webcast thanks to MLB Advanced Media. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I know other teams are suffering too. I archive the recordings on my laptop computer so the archives will be posted the next day on SpaceCoastBaseball.com if you want to hear a replay.

Just a quick note to let people know that I've started posting Manatees videos on SpaceCoastBaseball.com. They're in the VIDEOS column on the left of the home page.
The alligator video was pretty amusing. Who was that imitating the alligator sounds? It looked like he was wearing #35, but the Manatees don't list a #35 on their roster.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

BrewCrewBall pointed this out today.

The Manatees had a 30-minute TV show run in late April. You Tube has it broken into three segments.

Segment one features Manager Bob Miscik, segment two has a nice tour of SpaceCoast Stadium (wonderful major-league level facilities for the Nationals' spring training, just first-class all the way) and pitching lessons from now Brewer interim bullpen coach Fred Dabney (emphasis on poise and mound prescence). Segment three are chats with Cody Scarpetta and GM Kyle Smith, and a quick minute getting to know infielder Matt Cline.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A "for friends and family" post --

:

Brevard County Top 8th

• Brock Kjeldgaard called out on strikes.
  • Juan Sanchez singles on a ground ball to shortstop Jose Pirela.
  • Erik Miller strikes out swinging.
  • Anderson De La Rosa lines out to first baseman Trent Lockwood.

Manatees press release:

Milwaukee extends player development contract with Brevard County through 2012

VIERA, Fla. --- The Milwaukee Brewers have announced that they have extended their player development contract (PDC) with the Brevard County Manatees of the Class-A Advanced Florida State League, through the 2012 season. The Manatees are owned and operated by Central Florida Baseball Group, LLC.

"We are excited for the opportunity to continue our relationship with the Brewers, who are a class act top to bottom," Central Florida Baseball Group Chairman Dr. Tom Winters said.

The Manatees, located in Viera, Fla., have had a PDC with the Brewers since 2005. The club has previously been affiliated with the Florida Marlins (1994-2001) and the Montreal Expos (2002-2004).

"We are very excited to extend our player development contract with the Milwaukee Brewers," Brevard County Manatees General Manager Kyle Smith said. "We are glad to be able to continue grooming the young talent in the Brewers organization and also providing professional baseball to Brevard County."

Five players on Milwaukee's 2010 Opening Day roster played for the Manatees. OF Ryan Braun (2006), SS Alcides Escobar (2006-07), RHP Yovani Gallardo (2006), LHP Manny Parra (2006) and RHP Carlos Villanueva (2005) have all made a stop at Brevard County on their way to the majors.

"We are pleased to extend our working relationship with the Brevard County Manatees and their management team," said Brewers Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Melvin. "Brevard County has provided the important resources and environment needed to develop and prepare our young players for future success in the organization and the relationship continues to work well for our needs.? "

For more information on the Brevard County Manatees, visit manateesbaseball.com.

Archived