Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

bnedaddy

After no-no, Odorizzi to make one more start

Adam McCalvy/MLB.com

Yes, Brewers pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi admitted, his arm was a bit sore in the days following the most memorable start of his career.

The 20-year-old Odorizzi threw 117 pitches in eight brilliant innings for Class A Wisconsin on Tuesday and combined with fellow Timber Rattlers right-hander Adrian Rosario on a combined no-hitter, the first by a Brewers Minor League affiliate this season. The pitching duo was invited to Miller Park on Sunday and recognized on the field before the Brewers-Pirates game.

"It's been a hectic week," Odorizzi said. "But worth it."

Some Brewers front office officials consider Odorizzi to be Milwaukee's best pitching prospect. The team drafted him in the supplemental phase of the first round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, one of four pitchers selected by Milwaukee before the end of the second round and the only one having success in 2009.

In 22 games, 19 starts, Odorizzi is 7-3 with a 3.34 ERA and 130 strikeouts in 116 innings. He'll make one last start on Tuesday at home against Kane County.

It will be tough for Odorizzi to top his gem last week in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he matched his career high with 10 strikeouts. A 28-pitch eighth inning, including an 11-pitch battle with the last hitter he faced, put him at 117 pitches for the night and forced a call to the bullpen.

"I wasn't happy about coming out until I was told my pitch count, and then I was like, OK, that is a very good reason to come out," Odorizzi said. "I was told I wasn't allowed to go over 120 [pitches], and I didn't think I was going to be able to get three quick [outs on three pitches], so they gave it to Rosario."

Rosario, signed out of the Dominican Republic in August 2006, worked a hitless ninth with two strikeouts.

"It felt so good because they gave me a chance to finish inning No. 9," Rosario said. "I wasn't nervous. I knew what was going on."

"You get remembered by what you do, and this is a pretty good thing to be remembered by," Odorizzi said. "It's something to build off of. When you have this kind of success, you want to go out there and do it every time. It helps you push yourself more, knowing you can do this."

He almost did it in April. Odorizzi worked the first five innings on April 16 without allowing a hit, and Damon Krestalude preserved the no-hitter until the ninth inning, when he surrendered a two-out double.

"This one had a better feeling to it," Odorizzi said. "Everything worked the whole night. You knew it was going to happen."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link while active, text follows:

Despite loss to Quad Cities, Bucci impresses Timber Rattlers with his aggressive style

By Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Staff Writer

GRAND CHUTE — Nick Bucci's on-the-mound mentality is like a shark at feeding time.

It's a go-right-after-them type of game plan.

Bucci's aggressiveness has made him one of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' best starting pitchers and a legitimate major league prospect. It's also an area he has to learn to channel to continue climbing in the Milwaukee Brewers' organization.

The 20-year-old right-hander kept the Timber Rattlers in Wednesday's game with Quad Cities by allowing just two hits and one earned run with four strikeouts in six solid innings of work. His only negative was five walks, which pushed his season total to 65 — the highest on the staff.

"Nick is super-aggressive and that's a positive and a negative," said Wisconsin pitching coach Chris Hook after the Rattlers' bullpen crumbled in the late innings leading to a 6-1 loss to Quad Cities. "He's in an attack mode at all times. Sometimes that attack mode gets him off-kilter in terms of his delivery and his command suffers. But you have to like that aggressiveness. If he can learn to control his intensity, he's going to be fine. He's had a good year."

Indeed he has. Bucci, rated by Baseball America as the 29th best prospect in the organization, is second on the staff in strikeouts (96) and has compiled a 5-6 record with a 3.72 earned run average. He was named the Brewers' minor-league player of the month for May after going 3-1 with a 1.13 ERA in five starts.

"I feel I've had a respectable year," said Bucci. "I've definitely got a lot to work on to become a big leaguer and I'm going to the instructional league in a couple weeks to work on my stuff. I got into a little trouble with walks tonight, but fortunately they didn't hurt me. I was able to execute some pitches when I needed to."

Bucci, a native of Canada who was Milwaukee's 18th round pick in the 2008 major league draft, throws a fastball that tops out at about 92 mph along with a change-up and what manager Jeff Isom calls an "improving" curveball.

"Bucci threw the ball very well," said Isom. "He used all his pitches and kept them off balance. He's done a real good job all season. What he needs to work on is locating his fastball and eliminating those walks. When he gets ahead of hitters, he's a completely different pitcher than when he's behind in the count. He's pretty tough when he's pounding that strike zone."

Life of Ryan

Bob Brainerd/foxsportswisconsin.com

MILWAUKEE -- Even though he looks like a Scooter, there must be a cute back story to explain Ryan Gennett's nickname.

"I was about 5 years old, and I was a big fan of the (TV show) 'Muppet Babies,'" explains Gennett, a 16th round draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2009.

Good enough. But hold those warm and fuzzy thoughts for just a moment…

"I was a very defiant child,” said Gennett. “I was in the car and my Mom told me to put my seat belt on. I unclicked it, and she put it back on, and I unclicked it again. So she took me to the Police Station to have an officer talk to me about seatbelt safety."

This was hardly going to be the hot light bulb treatment on a 5-year-old, but Ryan wasn't taking any chances.

"He asked me what my name was," Gennett continued. "I got scared and said 'Scooter Gennett.' He was kind of taken aback, and said 'what's your real name?' I said 'Scooter.'”

“So ever since then, I didn't respond or answer to Ryan at all."

When his name got called by the Brewers on draft day of 2009, Gennett had bigger decisions to make than whether or not he should use his self-inflicted alias. The choices: play baseball on scholarship at Florida State, or pursue his Major League dream. The 19-year-old jumped at the chance to sign on the dotted line and kick start his career.

"I worked as hard as I could," recalls Gennett. "Spring training, I was at the clubhouse at 6 a.m., hitting off the tee, doing everything I could to show everybody what I had."

The former shortstop was on the move from the get-go, sidestepping one slot over on the diamond to second base this season with the Brewers Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, heeding the advice of coaches and Brewers brass who believe Gennett's climb up the company ladder can be expedited with a position switch. All part of Scooter's routine in Appleton.

"I'm very fortunate to be in low A now, especially being my first year after high school," said Gennett. "It was an adjustment. They really preach getting into a routine, and when you're struggling, you have to really stay with your routine because you have to stick with what you've had success with, and believe in it day in and day out."

Folks all the way back in Milwaukee began to take notice at the numbers Gennett was producing at the plate. He launched himself into the top tier of the Midwest League leader board and refused to leave, piling up eye-popping numbers for batting average, hits, doubles and runs scored, earning Gennett a starting nod at the Midwest League All Star Game. Not too shabby for a player who didn't command much attention on a Rattlers roster loaded with higher draft picks.

"The write-ups and awards, those are just results from working hard and believing in yourself," said Gennett. "It's always good when you're under the radar because you don't have anything to lose or you don't have any added pressures. Just go to the field every day, work hard at getting better, whether you're under the microscope or not."

And while the praise has been deservedly heaped upon Gennett, this mature beyond his years infielder won't ever let an inflated ego absorb his lunch pail work ethic.

"I've exceeded some people's expectations being a 16th-round pick and not really expecting a first year guy to put up numbers like I have," said Gennett. "Personally, I have a lot higher expectations. It's about getting better...you can't be satisfied with anything. See the ball, hit the ball...everybody should be ready to do that, but it's the smaller stuff too. I feel like I can always work on that."

There's a focus in Gennett that also allows for fun on the field.

"You definitely have to have fun," said Gennett with an infectious smile. "You can work as hard as you want, but if you're not having fun, I don't believe you're going to get any better or get anything positive out of it. You can work as hard as you want, take as many ground balls, but it's really the quality that you have in that energy and spark in your step."

Energy was never an issue with Scooter, in fact, there was too much of it at times. So much so that Gennett was diagnosed with AD/HD, or Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

"I was constantly moving," explains Gennett. "I was the kid that if you said not to press the button, then I would. As I got older, I kind of matured. I'm not as defiant…just a little bit here and there."

Enough to keep Gennett grounded, understanding, and willing to work with children who face the same hurdles of AD/HD.

"It's important to accept that you have it and to know what triggers that," said Gennett. "I wasn't medicated when I was young, I actually got medicated after my first year of high school. When I was on my medication, I was just focused in class. But I was always good on the baseball field because that's what I enjoy doing."

Gennett's commitment to the game will never come into question. His father, a former scout with the Houston Astros, made the ultimate sacrifice by quitting his job to work with his 10-year-old son every day. The Gennett family also made a lifestyle commitment, moving from Ohio to Florida so Scooter could pursue his passion year round.

"My father saw that baseball was in my heart and that I was going to work hard," said Gennett. "I loved baseball, and not just because he always wanted to do that with me. He had the Ohio area when he scouted, so he saw how hard it was for a position guy, not only to get noticed, but to be able to play the whole year."

The seed was planted in richer soil, and because of persistent nurturing, Gennett blossomed into a legitimate prospect. His Appleton adventure behind him, Scooter can now regroup his thoughts for the offseason, and go back to being a kid again. Not the defiant one, but one who pictures that one day his dreams will come true.

"Every since I was wee little, the ultimate goal for me and most of these guys is to make it to the big leagues," said Gennett. "But my goals don't stop there. It was a dream when I was little, but now that we have that opportunity to make that dream come true it's almost like a long term goal. Making it to the big leagues would sure make all this hard work and stuff pay off."

http://wac.2532.edgecastcdn.net/802532/fsswisc/common/medialib/306/249719.jpg

http://wac.2532.edgecastcdn.net/802532/fsswisc/common/medialib/306/249717.jpg

http://wac.2532.edgecastcdn.net/802532/fsswisc/common/medialib/306/249718.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Did we ever get word about why he was temporarily benched by Isom? I know it was disciplinary but wasn't sure if the reason was ever made public.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We acknowledge that injury played a large part, and even apparently the entire part, of the length of Scooter's absence.

We can't completely retract our earlier comment that there was some level of frustration, regardless of the level of frustration and/or any disciplinay action, between management and Gennett. Obviously, in the big picture, it seems to have been on a more minor level than could have been inferred by our earlier comment, for which we apologize, but as I indicated here, can't completely retract.

Scooter had a great season, and we're happy for him and the Brewer brass who identified and nurtured him along.

Not too shabby for a player who didn't command much attention on a Rattlers roster loaded with higher draft picks.

"The write-ups and awards, those are just results from working hard and believing in yourself," said Gennett. "It's always good when you're under the radar because you don't have anything to lose or you don't have any added pressures. Just go to the field every day, work hard at getting better, whether you're under the microscope or not...I've exceeded some people's expectations being a 16th-round pick and not really expecting a first year guy to put up numbers like I have," said Gennett. "Personally, I have a lot higher expectations. It's about getting better...you can't be satisfied with anything. See the ball, hit the ball...everybody should be ready to do that, but it's the smaller stuff too. I feel like I can always work on that."

I just want to point out, although most of us know this, that Gennett only fell to the 16th round due to his commitment to Florida State and some questions about his size. The kid was an Aflac All-American two summers ago, one of the 38 best kids in the nation playing together all in one spot. I know to the "average" fan (and I hate using that term), a 16th round pick doesn't hold the same weight as some more prominent picks, but based purely on talent, Gennett should have gone somewhere in rounds 2-4 last year.

That's somewhat of a pet peeve of mine, as even MLB's draft coverage frustrated me by how often they pointed out how late a player was drafted, or if they weren't drafted at all. Players that should go in the early rounds fall all of the time due to signability and college commitments.

• 4 weeks later...

Much thanks to the Rapids, the Rattlers, and Noah at BrewCrewBall (hat tip) -- how cool is

of every out of the Jake Odorizzi / Adrian Rosario no-hitter?

Points to ponder --

Check out, out # 6, play at first base, safe or out? Wow, is that close...

The toughest inning for Jake? How did he concentrate with those giant eyeballs staring him down directly in his line of vision behind home plate in the 6th? What was that?!

Speaking of the eyeballs, what's with that stadium configuration? Let's take prime real estate for seating behind home plate, and just have a huge tunnel ramp up to the innards of the stadium...

Out # 21 -- bullet to 3rd, hardest hit ball

No pigpile at the end -- maybe if they were at home.

Oh yeah -- why is this video just coming out now? Anyway, enjoy.

Archived