bnedaddy

Jim Callis chat:

• [tt]
[/tt]

• [tt]
Allan (Hartland Wi): Jim, Has Khriis
Davis(Brewers) turned himself into a prospect this year with the season
he is having or is he just dominating a younger league?[/tt]

Jim Callis: The power is real. Now let's see him at a higher level. He's not an elite prospect, but he's legit.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Rattlers Profile: Austin Stockfisch

Cory Jennerjohn, Appleton Post-Crescent

Austin Stockfisch file

- Position: Catcher.

- Height/weight: 6-2, 205.

- Bats/throws: Switch/left.

- Hometown: Scottsdale, Ariz.

- Notes: Signed by Milwaukee as a non-drafted free agent on July 6, 2009. Graduated from Desert Mountain High School (Ariz.). ... Attended Grand Canyon University and earned first team all-Pacific West Conference honors as a senior in 2009. ... Attended Arizona State University from 2005 to 2006. ... Played two games in rookie ball for the Arizona Brewers.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "The Los Angeles Angels. I was born in California in Valencia and I grew up going to spring training games for just the Angels when I moved to Arizona."

- MLB player growing up: "Joe Mauer. I know he's not been around that long but watching him, especially now that I'm a pro and watching him go about his business, is pretty awesome to see.

Q & A

Q: You weren't drafted last year and you're the backup catcher to Cameron Garfield, who was taken in the second round of the 2009 draft. Does that frustrate you at all?

A: "I know I'm kind of behind the eight ball with where I'm at, but I'm fortunate to have the opportunity. So, it's a curse and a blessing. I'm really blessed to be where I am and to have the opportunity that I do."

Q: Not too long after you were drafted, you broke your hand. Were you worried that your baseball career was over?

A: "I didn't know what was going to happen. Because I had three professional at-bats, it was the second game as a pro. And I broke my hand and I thought that that was it and they're going to get me back and then release me. They have no ties to me. It was probably a month or three weeks before the end of the season and they said we want you to come to instructs (Instructional League). So I got invited even though they had seen me play only a little bit."

Q: What's the biggest thing you need to work on?

A: "Offense. I need to be more consistent with the bat. I know that my defense takes priority, my time with the pitchers always takes priority, so that will always get the majority of my time. But what I do with the bat and where I am offensively, I want to be someone that's consistent. Whatever you're playing at, you know what you're going to get when you put me in the lineup."

Q: Favorite part of Appleton?

A: "Golf. I'm a huge, huge golfer. I go every day when we're at home. Eagle Creek, Chaska and Winagamie. I love Midwest golf."

Q: Favorite golf course?

A: "Right now? Eagle Creek. I love Eagle Creek. Beautiful course, links style. Always in great condition."

Q: Favorite golfer?

A: "Nick Watney. He's one of my friends' cousins, so I love watching him swing a golf club and he hits it a mile."

Q: Who's going to win the 92nd PGA Championship Aug. 12-15?

A: "I don't know. But I'm really hoping I can go on Saturday. Saturday morning I'm really hoping I can get out there. I know Vijay (Singh) won it when it was here last time. It's going to be somebody that keeps it in play. Maybe a Jim Furyk or a Mike Weir and you can't count out Tiger (Woods)."

Q: What do you think of Whistling Straits?

A: "I actually went out there with my wife. We had lunch out there and I didn't get to play but I'd love to play that course."

The Tool Box

Rattlers hitting instructor Matt Erickson breaks down Austin Stockfisch:

- His work ethic: "We were just talking about Austin last week and congratulating him really for his work ethic, because he's one of those guys that doesn't get a lot of game at-bats, has a great attitude, very even demeanor to him. Very willing, I mean he sucks a lot of stuff in. Most of your good catchers do. His work, as far as early work, is very sporadic compared to the average position player. He never knows quite when he's playing, when he's not playing, when he needs to catch a bullpen, when Pudge (bullpen catcher Matt Andrew) is going to be late. But he does a good job of communicating with me to find time to get his extra work in the cage.

- His swing: "I told him this the other day. Since the beginning of the season he might be the best mechanical improvement to his swing of anybody on our team. When he first started, he had a lot of trouble squaring up, stride would be open and cut across the ball and his hands would get away from his body. Not a whole a lot of bat speed especially from the left side. And he's really done a nice job of trying to put things together and get his hands what we call separation, so when he strides forward he's keeping his hands back, which allows his lower half to work. Now, he's got a much more connected swing. He's creating some bat speed from the left side. I think he's gaining confidence. I know in the cage the ball's jumping off his bat and he has a better feel in there and now it's showing up in some of these game at-bats. Because he doesn't get a lot of game at-bats, I think when he goes in there he should be ready to hit almost like a pinch-hitter type role. Because he doesn't see a lot of game pitches, he can't let a good pitch go by early in the count. He's done a really good job of being ready."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Looks like this was originally posted July 1st -- Rattler Radio highlighted it, link here, text below:

Northern Exposure

By Bob Brainerd, foxsportswisconsin.com

Nick Bucci enjoys bucking the trend, going against the grain, and following his instinct instead of the crowd. Armed with that inside info,you can assume that this Canadian born athlete chose the diamond life over the stereotypical hockey choice.

Curveball.

"I played hockey from (ages) 6 to 12 and then I gave it up and focused strictly on baseball," said Bucci (pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers this season). "Hockey-wise, it's kind of expensive in Canada, and everyone takes it seriously. It was almost like hockey or baseball, and baseball is kind of the way I went."

Besides easing the Bucci family budget, baseball in the Great White North was no longer a novelty act when Nick was growing up and deciding which passion to pursue.

"It's developed over the last 10, 15 years, more and more major leaguers come out every year --it's crazy!" Bucci exclaimed, shaking his head over the thought of how far the sport has advanced in the last two decades in his homeland. "We actually went to the World Cup and ended up in third (place) which was our best placing ever there. So it's definitely developing Canada."

And so is the former 18th-round pick by Milwaukee in 2008, who pitched for Team Canada to help earn that bronze medal. Thanks to the "Canadian Pipeline" established by a pair of Canucks in General Manager Doug Melvin and Assistant GM Gord Ash, players like Bucci were discovered, brought in to compete and move up the Brewers food chain. The big club saw the same things in Bucci that Nick discovered playing the game at a young age.

"My dad saw it in me, I felt like I had more passion and more desire to play baseball, go out there and enjoy it a lot more," said Bucci."When I was younger, I was playing everywhere, shortstop, outfield, you name it. But I think my calling was on the mound. I had good arm strength, and I felt I could compete every four or five days out there as a starter."

His adventure in Appleton is shaping up to be his best season on the bump. With the first half of the season in the books, Bucci impressed with the Timber Rattlers, going 3-3 with an ERA of 3.06, earning him a spot on the Midwest League All Star Game roster. This on the heels of his Rookie League campaign that saw Bucci post a 6-3 mark with a 4.31 ERA in 13 games (12 starts) for the Helena Brewers. His 5-0, 2.13 ERA in the month of July, 2009 earned him the organization's minor league pitcher of the month.

"I signed in 2008, and it's been awesome," said Bucci. "It's been two and half, almost three years now with them (the Brewers), but I feel like I develop with them every day I go out there and try and get better every day."

When Milwaukee drew up the minor league rosters for 2010, the pitching staff in Appleton featured three headliners with first round draft pick credentials. Eric Arnett, Kyle Heckathorn and Jake Odorizzi became the faces of the rotation, but also earned them the most scrutiny. Bucci relished the opportunity to compete with his teammates.

"Absolutely," said Bucci,"it's a competition, but you kind of pull for everybody in that sense, and I kind of fly under the radar being an 18th-rounder, which I don't mind at all. I just go out there and do my own thing."

For Bucci, it begins in the beginning of his delivery to the plate. Don't blink and don't step out of the box, because Bucci goes against the norm and wings the ball to his catcher with very little lag time.

"I kind of pride myself on being an intense guy," said Bucci. "I'm laid back off the field and then it's almost like I turn a switch when I go out and play. On game days, I'm a totally different person."

And when this just turned 20-year-old gets too amped up, his just turned 19-year-old catcher Cameron Garfield trots out to the mound in the nick of time, telling Nick to dial it down a tad.

"It's almost like a breathing thing," explains Bucci. "If I take a few deep breaths and compose myself being on the mound, I feel like I can gather myself and compete out there.

"There definitely has to be a good balance there between being relaxed out there and being intense during certain moments, so I stay determined and get the job done."

While the early returns have been eye-opening and promising for Bucci, he continues to be work in progress. His walk to strikeout ratio numbers are too close together, and he'll focus the second half of this season on stretching them apart. What Bucci does when he doesn't have the starting nod for Wisconsin will help steer his fate when he is on the mound.

"It's almost like a certain routine," said Bucci. "It's not the days that you pitch, it's almost the days in between getting ready, throwing in the bullpen, throwing on the side, following the throwing program and working out. If you stay on a consistent routine, I think you can build up and keep that factor."

Bucci's pitching intensity is a far cry from his infectious personality off the field. He admits he is somewhat of a fun loving free spirit, who enjoys a good laugh with his roommates Odorizzi and fifth round pick from 2009, pitcher Maverick Lasker. And like any pitcher in the minors, off the field time is reserved for dreaming.

"I do, definitely," said Bucci. "I mean, you have to work every day to become a big leaguer. But in reality, you don't want to just become a big leaguer, you want to have a long career -- 10, 15, 20 years, health permitting.

"I think if you build a strong base now while you're young, I think when you're older it can definitely benefit you."

Bucci won't leave his future to a fluke call up that lasts for a cup of coffee in the show. He wants to leave a lasting impression based on results. But just in case, Bucci has tattooed his mantra of motivation on his left wrist.

Image by Brad Krause

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/gallery_images/3033_57550.JPG

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers starter Bucci returns to form in victory over LumberKings

By Jim Oskola, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Through June 2, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitcher Nick Bucci was having a head-turning type of season.

Bucci's record was only 3-2 but he had an eye-opening 1.74 ERA with 30 walks and 40 strikeouts in 51 2[/sup]/3[/sub] innings.

Those numbers helped earn him a spot on the Midwest League West Division all-star team.

If that much of the season was smooth sailing for Bucci, he started to run into choppier seas starting with a four-inning, four-run outing against Bowling Green on June 9.

Over Bucci's next nine appearances, he went 1-3 with a save while allowing 30 runs — 28 earned — over 40 innings. That nifty ERA climbed to 3.73.

Against Clinton at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Sunday, Bucci started bringing his ERA back down as he pitched Wisconsin to a 6-1 victory over the LumberKings.

"This couldn't have come at a better time," Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom said. "Struggling on the offensive and the pitching side. He goes out there in the first inning and set the tone for the whole game."

Isom said that strong start impressed him.

"He had struggled but he came out there and set the tone and allowed our offense to get out there and start swinging the bats and score some early runs," Isom said.

Bucci didn't try nibbling at the corners of the plate.

"We wanted him to get more aggressive with his fastball," Wisconsin pitching coach Chris Hook said. "He's got a good fastball and, instead of taking the bull by the horns, he was kind of skirting around it, trying to do other things to get to the end of the command issue that he had."

Bucci grabbed the bull, allowing only three hits with no walks while tying his season high with eight strikeouts.

"Our game plan from the first inning was to establish the fastball and fastball in, the first time through the lineup," Bucci said. "We did that. Then in later innings, establish the curveball and changeup and it worked out well tonight."

So what led to the struggles in June and July?

"He's aggressive by nature," Hook said. "He was starting to be tentative with his fastball. Tonight was a good example of pitching aggressively early and pitching in. I think that established the tone for the game."

As important as this start was for Bucci, it has been equally important for the rest of Wisconsin's starting rotation.

Starting pitchers have a habit of being competitive with each other. If one starter puts up a string of zeroes, the next man in the rotation will try to do the same or better it.

"Jake Odorizzi is going out there Monday," Bucci said. "He's one of our best pitchers. He's my roommate and I definitely pull for him every time he goes out there."

And if Bucci's game kicks off a run of good pitching performances, it will help make up for the month of July when the Rattlers pitchers surrendered 155 runs in 28 games (5.5 average) while the team scored only 121 (4.3 average).

"You certainly hope that it carries over to the rest of the guys," Isom said. "We needed somebody to step up today and he did. We're hoping this performance opens up the rest of the starters' eyes so they realize that they can set the tone early in the game and let our offense work."

Nick Bucci allowed just three hits and no runs in six innings for the Timber Rattlers against Clinton on Sunday at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. (P-C photo by Patrick Ferron)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100802&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=8020534&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Former closer Burgos finds more success at beginning of games for Timber Rattlers

By Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Hiram Burgos had a hard time nailing down saves when he struggled as the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' closer earlier this season.

But recently, he may have made the biggest save of his professional baseball career — finding success as a starting pitcher.

Burgos delivered his finest performance as a Timber Rattler on Wednesday afternoon, celebrating his 23rd birthday by pitching Wisconsin to a 3-1 victory over the Peoria Chiefs.

Burgos scattered six hits over seven innings and struck out eight, with only one walk. He allowed just three hits and no runs in his final six innings after working out of a first-inning jam. It was his longest outing in a Wisconsin uniform. Two of the hits were infield singles.

"He had a shaky first inning, but settled in and was very efficient," Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom said. "I thought it was an outstanding performance. The way he started, I was just hoping we'd get five innings out of him."

Burgos raised his Timber Rattlers' pitching record to 3-5, but he's 5-0 as a starter: 2-0 with Wisconsin and 3-0 with Helena of the rookie-level Pioneer League.

Burgos opened the season as the Rattlers' closer, but went 1-5 with a 5.40 ERA and was zero-for-three in save opportunities. He was sent down to Helena on May 15 and put in the team's starting rotation, where he flourished before earning a recall to Wisconsin on July 18.

Burgos was solid on July 26 against South Bend, working six innings and allowing one earned run on four hits to pick up the win. He was even sharper Wednesday, finding a groove in the second inning and retiring 12 consecutive hitters at one point.

"I see him more as a starter type," Isom said. "He's got four pitches, and the way he pitches, it may be more conducive to that of a starting pitcher, where he's able to settle in a bit."

Burgos, a right-hander who was the Milwaukee Brewers' sixth-round pick out of Bethune-Cookman University in the 2009 draft, is happy to fill any role the Rattlers have for him.

"Anywhere they want to use me is OK with me," he said. "As a starter, things are going well right now, but I'm comfortable coming out of the bullpen, too. Either way, I have to do my job."

As a starter at Bethune-Cookman, Burgos won 21 games and struck out 250 in a productive four-year career. He made seven starts last season for Helena, going 3-2 with a 5.62 ERA in 14 games.

"Coming out of the bullpen doesn't bother me, but when you're a starter, you can have kind of your own plan," he said. "You can work a lot of stuff. When you're in the bullpen, you have to attack more. Hitters are more aggressive near the end of the game. You've got to make your pitch and you have to throw strikes."

The only time Burgos struggled to throw strikes Wednesday came in the first inning, when he threw 32 of his 103 pitches and allowed the Chiefs' only run on three consecutive hits.

"I had problems with my fastball command that first inning," Burgos said. "But I battled back, got through it and kept pounding the strike zone."

Burgos throws two-seam and four-seam fastballs, along with a slider, curve and change-up.

"He's pretty tough when he keeps the fastball down in the zone," Isom said. "He did a good job today of mixing in a change-up, and he threw that in some big counts. What impressed me the most was that he went seven innings after a 32-pitch first inning."

Efrain Nieves and Jon Pokorny followed with scoreless innings. Nieves was credited with a hold, his third of the season, while Pokorny earned his 11th save.

Wisconsin starter Hiram Burgos pitches against Peoria at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute on Wednesday. He has won two consecutive starts since returning to the team. Post-Crescent photo by Wm. Glasheen

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100805&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=8050645&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Profile: No. 22 Kentrail Davis

Compiled by Post-Crescent staff writer Tim Froberg

Quick hits

- Position: Right field.

- Bats/throws: Left/right.

- Height, weight: 5-9, 195.

- Hometown: Theodore, Ala.

- Notes: First name is pronounced "Ken Trell." ... Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the first round (39th overall) of the 2009 Major League Baseball June amateur draft. ... Left the University of Tennessee following his sophomore season to turn pro. Started 53 games for the Volunteers in center field and two as designated hitter. Hit .308 as a sophomore, with nine home runs and 30 RBI. Hit .330 as a freshman and led the Volunteers in homers (13) and RBI (44). ... Was previously drafted out of high school in the 14th round of the 2007 draft by the Colorado Rockies. ...

Rated as the Brewers' sixth-best prospect by Baseball America in its 2010 handbook. ... Started the season at Brevard County in the Florida State League, where he hit .244 with no home runs and 17 RBI in 123 at bats. After 35 games with Wisconsin, Davis was hitting .339 with two homers and 23 RBI.

Q&A

Q: Was it a tough decision to sign with the Brewers and leave the University of Tennessee following your sophomore season?

A: "At first, I had some second thoughts about it, but then I felt like it was the right decision to go into pro ball like I've always wanted to. I have no regrets."

Q: Do you feel any pressure being a first-round pick?

A: "I don't think there's pressure. I just go out and play. I try and do what led me here. It's baseball, a game I've played my whole life. I try and keep it that simple."

Q: Growing up in SEC country, can you relate to Packers football fans up here, considering how intense the college game is in the South?

A: "You know, I was never a really big NFL fan, although the Green Bay Packers were a team I always watched. I love college football, but I haven't been around here too long, so I can't compare them. The college football atmosphere in the South is amazing, especially when you're sitting in the student section. It's just crazy. You don't sit down the whole game and people are just screaming. It's pretty cool when you walk into the University of Tennessee stadium — all you see is orange."

Q: Were you a fan of Alabama or Tennessee growing up?

A: "Where I'm from, you're either an Alabama or an Auburn fan. I was an Alabama fan. I watched their games on TV all the time. I had never been to a college football game until I took a recruiting trip to Alabama. It was great. I had a blast. I still get goose bumps when I go to a college football game."

Q: Did you play football in high school?

A: "I played in ninth grade — I was a running back — then gave it up to play on the summer baseball traveling teams and in the showcase tournaments. In football, you had to do summer workouts. I really didn't have time for it. I had to make a choice and picked baseball."

Q: Some have compared you to a young, left-handed-hitting Kirby Puckett. What do you think of that comparison?

A: "Hey, that's fine with me. The guy was a Hall-of-Famer. I've heard that a lot in the past. I was a fan of his. He was a short, stocky guy like me, so I can see the comparison."

Q: You've been bothered by a bad hamstring. How's that coming?

A: "It's something I've been dealing with all year. I'm a lot faster runner than what I've shown. It (the hamstring) is actually torn. I can't do anything about it right now. The best thing for it is rest, but I want to play every day. Our trainer, Jeff Paxson, has done a good job of keeping me on the field. I can't complain. I could be in Arizona rehabbing it or sitting on the bench."

Q: What skills do you need to work on?

A: "My defense, making better reads in the outfield. And probably my jumps on the base paths, although being injured probably has a little to do with that."

Q: What's your favorite part of Appleton?

A: "I like the atmosphere. I started out in the Florida State League, and we'd probably get 100 people per game. Here, we're averaging three or four thousand per game. It's a great feeling playing in front of people. I haven't had a chance to see much of Appleton, but it seems like a nice, quiet town."

Q: Do you have a timetable for reaching the major leagues?

A: "No, I'm not in control of that. All I can control is my performance on the field. Whatever happens, happens."

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "The Atlanta Braves. They were the closest team to my hometown, about five hours away."

- MLB player: "Ken Griffey Jr. He was an outfielder and a left-handed hitter like me. He was my idol."

- Baseball movie: "Rookie of the Year."

- Actor: Denzel Washington.

- Hobby: Video games (Call of Duty).

The tool box

Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Kentrail Davis:

- His offensive skills: "He has a very quick bat. He can let a ball get very deep in the hitting zone and his hands are so fast that he can still hit the ball very deep. He's got some of the quickest hands I've seen on this squad, and even in pro baseball. If you have quick hands, you have a pretty good chance to be a good hitter. He goes to all fields very well."

- His defense: "He runs good routes in the outfield and has a very good first step. His throwing is above average. I see him capable of playing any outfield position in the big leagues. He runs well enough to play center field and he plays the corner positions very well."

- His work ethic: "It's excellent. He has a great approach to the game and stays within that approach during batting practice. He works his tail off every day."

- His future: "He's going to be a gap-to-gap guy, who hits a lot of doubles. You will see him make some mistakes and hit some home runs, because he's a guy who doesn't try to hit home runs. I think he'll hit near the top of the lineup in the major leagues and be an RBI guy, who will put the ball into play and let his speed work for him. We really haven't seen the speed because he's been hurt, but we know it's there. His legs are really tired. He needs a break and then has to get those legs ready for next year. But offensively, he's right where he needs to be."

Nice to see a pair of Brewers farmhands profiled by BA in one week. Jake Odorizzi is up today:

http://www.baseballameric...lass-a/2010/2610488.html

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/jodorizzi10428309bm.jpg

Key quotes:

"He's an athletic kid, and you don't see that too often," Hook said. "He's got velocity, he's got some know-how and he's a smart guy out there. He's got all the tools, even the tools you can't project, to be a successful big leaguer for a long time."

"If you go back and look at his video from last year, he's grown comfortable with a certain delivery," Hook said. "Now, he's got a delivery that he's comfortable with and it's nice and clean."

"There's really two areas he's improved," Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom said. "One is controlling the running game. His first couple starts this season, they were running all over him and he learned that he had to control the game."

"He was relying on his fastball too much at times," Isom said. "He's had to learn how to pitch and how to get his breaking stuff over."

"He's focused on what he wants to get done," Hook said. "He wants to be a big league pitcher and he wants to do it soon. He's been open-eyed and open-eared to everything we've been telling him and showing him."

The Isom scouting reports absolutely make these "Getting to know..." features. I love his candor & objectivity.

Agreed, I like these a lot.

I also loved what Kentrail had to say about his weaknesses;

A: "My defense, making better reads in the outfield. And

probably my jumps on the base paths, although being injured probably has

a little to do with that."

Seems to be concerned with the right things. He's a very patient hitter, looks like he could be a legit .300/.385 type hitter with the power still a bit of a question mark, but he knows he's got to work on the defensive side of the game.

I have hopes he could be a CF'er, but if not, a OF with him in LF, Cain in RF, and then a good CF'er could cover a lot of ground. Maybe Gomez if he can get his career turned around. Imagine that OF? Not a whole lotta balls that are going to find green.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: first baseman Hunter Morris

Compiled by Post-Crescent staff writer Ricardo Arguello

- Position: First base.

- Bats/throws: Left/right.

- Height, weight: 6-2, 200.

- Hometown: Huntsville, Ala.

- Notes: Acquired by Brewers in the fourth round of the 2010 June Draft. ... Attended Auburn University, where he earned Southeastern Conference player of the year honors and first-team all-America honors by Baseball America and the National Collegiate baseball Writers Association after hitting .386 with 23 homers and 76 RBI — both conference highs. ... Batting .249 with five home runs and 24 RBI in 48 games for the Timber Rattlers.

Q&A

Q: Were you surprised to be drafted by the Brewers?

A: "I had known the Brewers had interest in me in high school. In 2007, they picked seventh overall and took (Matt) LaPorta and I wasn't there with their next pick. I knew they had interest, so I hoped that would carry over into college. I was excited. And I knew it was an organization that liked me and I knew I would have an opportunity."

Q: What has been the biggest adjustment to the pro game?

A: "I've done a lot of things in my baseball career, back to when I played travel ball, that has prepared me for the lifestyle of pro ball. When I got out here, it wasn't new to me. The actual professional aspect is my first time, but I had been put in situations like this before, just not at the same level. And the grind of playing every day is tough, but that's nothing to complain about. We're out here playing baseball every day."

Q: Growing up in the South, how much did you follow college football?

A: "I was weird. I loved college football growing up — you pretty much had to, growing up in the South. But my parents went to the University of North Alabama, so I wasn't a die-hard Alabama or Auburn fan. I love football and I'll watch it, but when I made my decision on where I was going to school, it was based on academics and baseball. There was no allegiance to any school going into the decision-making process. That was better for me in the long run."

Q: What other sports did you play in high school?

A: "I played basketball, but I knew I didn't have a future in it. I was pretty good, but nothing above and beyond high school. I knew from the time I was 8 or 9 years old that I wanted to play baseball."

Q: The Brewers' Double-A club is in Huntsville, your hometown. Do you ever think about playing in front of your hometown fans?

A: That would be an ideal situation for me. Obviously, anybody would love to go straight from here to the big leagues, but that's just not going to happen. So, at some point, to be able to play at home in Huntsville would be a dream for me. That's a perfect set-up for me. Living there and being at home and having friends and family around, I couldn't ask for a better situation."

Q: Did you follow minor-league ball there as a kid?

A: "It has changed over time. It goes through times where it's sold out games every night and other times when you can't get 300 people in the stands. Probably around the time when I was born, you had guys like Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco and Miguel Tejada — he was there in the early 1990s with the Athletics before the Brewers moved in there. I remember going and watching Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks playing, which was early in my high school career. And then when (Yovani) Gallardo went through there, that was a big deal and everybody was talking about this great pitcher in Huntsville, though I never got to see him throw."

Q: What's your favorite aspect of Appleton?

A: "Very welcoming. You go out to eat and stuff, for some reason, you don't advertise it or anything, but people know you play for the Timber Rattlers. The community is so into this team and the games, they recognize you outside the stadium, which is pretty cool. You see that in a lot of college towns but you don't expect it in bigger cities."

Q: Do you have a timetable on reaching the majors?

A: "The sooner the better is the obvious answer. But the only thing I can control is the work I put in and the way I perform. That's going to dictate if that happens. Ideally, I'd say from the time I was drafted, three years. That's a reasonable goal and I would love for it to be sooner, but even if it's later, the objective is to get there."

Q: What are things that you think you need to work on to improve?

A: "You put in the work every day to solidify and repeat your mechanics and basically make it muscle-memory to where you don't have to think about it during the at-bat. That way your focus can be on pitch selection and getting the job done. My biggest thing is carrying over that mental strength and having the right mindset going into the box every time."

Favorites

- MLB team: "It was always the Braves, being from Alabama."

- MLB player: "I remember when I was real little my favorite player was Ryne Sandberg, and with the Braves, I always liked watching Chipper Jones."

- Baseball movie: " 'Major League.' Just has always been one of my all-time favorites, not just baseball either, but movies in general."

- Actor: "Johnny Depp."

- Video game/system: "PlayStation 3, mostly sports games."

- Hobby: "Hunting and fishing, all the time."

The tool box

Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Hunter Morris:

- His offensive skills: "He has a pro approach at the plate. He understands the strike zone and gets pitches to hit, and when he squares up balls, there are not many guys with the power that he has. He can hit a ball a long way. He's going to be a guy who hits home runs, an RBI type guy.

- His defense: "Does a good job on the defensive side. Good arm. Athletic kid. We think he could be a corner outfielder as well. He does a good job at first base, but you try to open up some other options for him and move him around and see if he can play in the outfield and we're going to see if he can do that in the near future."

- His work ethic: "If you asked me who is the most professional guy in the clubhouse, I would probably say he's right up in the top five. That's pretty impressive for a guy who has 40-50 games now in his professional career. He gets it. He's played on some pretty good clubs during summer ball, like Team USA. He's been in the Cape Cod League, which is the premiere college wood-bat league so he's been around good programs. He understands the game. And with his work ethic, he's a professional already."

- His future: "I can see a corner outfield position and a guy who is going to do a good job out there. He's going to be an offensive-oriented player. He hits for power, line drives, home runs and RBI. He's going to be in the middle of a lineup somewhere."

The Isom scouting reports absolutely make these "Getting to know..." features. I love his candor & objectivity.

Let me 2nd the motion. I wish we could get these from all the affiliates.

I found it interesting that Isom described Kentrail's arm as above average. Its the 1st time I've seen anyone compliment his arm. Now he's getting time in RF. With Braun in LF for a longtime, its a lot easier to project Kentrail into future lineup's if he's a viable RF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Let me 2nd the motion. I wish we could get these from all the affiliates.

I found it interesting that Isom described Kentrail's arm as above average. Its the 1st time I've seen anyone compliment his arm. Now he's getting time in RF. With Braun in LF for a longtime, its a lot easier to project Kentrail into future lineup's if he's a viable RF.

Oh, without a doubt, it's absolutely awesome IMO.

With scouting reports, everyone and their Grandmothers have noticed that once a scouting report gets out, so often all the rest of the "scouts" or experts in the media tend to regurgitate the exact same things with a few notable exceptions.

They fill their paper/blog/book, and if it's wrong they can simply fall back on the "well, he's worked to improve it", or some variation of "well, WE got it wrong".

Isom doesn't seem to pull any punches. He won't come out and say for example, "Gennett can't play short", but he will say essentially the same thing by saying "I think he's a 2nd basemen, that's his best chance to make it to the big leagues". It certainly gives him a lot more credibility than Garth Iorg(And this is not meant to be disparaging in ANY way) who seemingly has to give more glowing reports of his players.

Being there day in and day out offers a much clearer and concise evaluation of their true strengths/skills and flaws.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On Morris:

...but you try to open up some other options for him and move him around and see if he can play in the outfield and we're going to see if he can do that in the near future.

I'm surprised. I figured he would be a 1B only type. Kind of nice to hear as Hawn is really pushing to be at A-ball, too. But with the Davises in LF and RF, not sure when or where Morris will get a chance...

What is it that makes you think Garth Iorg gives false reports? Also, I guess people want to believe that Isom saying Gennet's best chance to play in MLB is as a 2B means he is unable to play SS, but the language flatly does not support that conclusion. If he was trying to convey that, it would be a pulled punch.
Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thanks to Chris Mehring for the heads-up --Link, text follows:

By Bob Brainerd, foxsportswisconsin.com (July 27th)

MILWAUKEE -- Butchering Jake Odorizzi’s name over the public address speakers has become commonplace anytime he takes to the bump. “A regular occurrence,” said Odorizzi, who no longer bothers to politely redirect and reel someone in with the proper pronunciation: Oh-duh-RIZZ-ee. “Some people pronounce letters that aren’t even in my last name. I just go along with it. It’s better to have your name announced wrong than not at all.”

Two summers ago, Jake was antsy for any major league team to call his name, phonetics aside, during the first round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. With the Illinois State Tournament set to open a day after the draft, the 18-year-old senior pitcher and shortstop didn’t have the option of relaxing at home. “We drove out to Joliet and sat in the hotel for about four hours watching the draft going on,” recalls Odorizzi. “The hotel didn’t have any air conditioning in the lobby. So we were sitting there sweating it out, literally.”

The Milwaukee Brewers ceased the drama, and the perspiration, by selecting the Highland, Illinois product right out of high school with a supplemental pick, the 32nd overall.

“Once my name got called it was a relieving feeling and then I had to get ready and concentrate on the game for the next day,” said Odorizzi.

The celebration was short and sweet, but Jake’s coming out party was just underway. After notching that Class 3A Illinois State Championship, he got his first taste of professional baseball with the Brewers rookie team in Arizona. In 2009, he pitched in Montana for the Helena Brewers, remaining on target and on track by continuing to punch out more batters than he walked.

(Note: "Punch out more than you walk?" Yeah, that's pretty important, but a modest goal, Bob. OK, enough quibbling, thanks for the article...)

“That’s what anybody wants to do at any level,” said Odorizzi, who compiled an astounding 146 K’s and only six walks during his senior season of prep baseball with the Bulldogs. “I’m blessed enough right now being able to do that. But if I didn’t strike out a single person in a game and we won, it’s still a win for me because I’m trying to do everything in my power to help the team win.”

His current team, the Brewers Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, put Jake on a stage less than 100 miles from Miller Park, where top brass like General Manager Doug Melvin and Assistant GM Gord Ash have made the occasional quick trip to sneak a peek at this 20-year-old sensation.

“He’s a very focused guy,” said Timber Rattlers Pitching Coach Chris Hook. “I think he has a very good idea what he wants to do out there, I think he’s got a game plan. For such a young guy, he doesn’t really think about his delivery, it’s kind of innate.”

“He’s getting better with, if things don’t go his way, not to get too caught up in the negative and stick to his game plan. And that’s his biggest focus right now.”

“You have to be mentally ready,” echoes Odorizzi. “If not, you’re going to have a bad outing and something’s going to go wrong. You can’t let other things effect what you are trying to do out there. You concentrate on just one pitch at a time. Don’t focus on the next hitter, focus on the next pitch you are about to throw. And throw with a lot of conviction.”

Odorizzi mimics a coach giving a clinic, but his dialed in approach on the mound tells you he’s not just dispensing hollow advice. And he’s got the numbers in the Midwest League to back up his speech.

“Concentrate, zone in. And then when that pitch is over, you forget about it and move onto the next one,” said Odorizzi. “You’re only doing this once every five days; you can be pretty concentrated for one day.”

Radar locked on the hill, but easy going off the diamond, Odorizzi tries to tinker with his repertoire, even though he is “comfortable” throwing four pitches effectively.

His pitching coach admits there are indeed four bullets in Jake’s chamber, but the crafting is far from finished.

“I think he’s got four above average pitches,” confirmed Hook. “Does he need to improve his changeup? Yeah. But I think, and I hate to put a name with him, he’s like a Zack Greinke to me. That type of pitcher that can command the strike zone.”

Like the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, the fast track may seem like the obvious option for Odorizzi. But the Brewers have been careful to drive this luxury vehicle with one foot on the brake.

“They told me they’re going to take me along slow because I threw a lot in high school,” said Odorizzi. “They’re going to bring me along as they feel. I can’t say anything against it. They say follow the plan, and that’s all I can do.”

“I think I’m doing everything they want me to do and if they feel I’m ready to move up, then they’ll move me. But until then, I just have to concentrate on my team and what I need to do.”

There are anxious tones in Odorizzi’s voice, listed as the Brewers ninth-best prospect by Baseball America and projected to be a starter in Milwaukee by 2013. But this Midwest League All Star has the proper frame of mind on his timetable to the big leagues.

“Everybody wants to be moved quickly and you have a couple good outings in a row and you feel like you’re ready to go,” said Odorizzi. “And then you might have a not so great one and it humbles you a little bit. It tells you there are still some things to work on.”

“Everybody wants to go quick, I’m no different. I’d like to get moved quickly too, but they have a plan for me and that’s all I can ask for. Some people don’t even get this opportunity so I guess I have to take it in stride. I’m happy with what I’m doing.”

The Brewers, no different than any other team, are desperate to cultivate a commodity like a quality starting pitcher. That means any highly touted prospect with promise like Odorizzi gets the microscope treatment. Fair game, says the confidant right-hander.

“Ever since my senior year in high school I’ve been examined…everyone’s looking at me and followed me,” said Odorizzi. “I don’t pay too much attention to it, to tell you the truth. You can’t worry about what other people think, and there’s always going to be people watching you no matter where you’re at.

“Just go about your business and do what you normally do…keep on keeping on, I guess.”

“He’s young, he’s got a good idea, he’s athletic, he’s a smart kid too …all these things are going his way, but it’s a matter of him taking each step and seeing how he progresses,” said Hook. “I don’t want to be too overly amped about him, which I am. But I think he’s got all of the things that you need to have to be a big leaguer.”The business of baseball rolls on, but there is still room for fun. The fans in Appleton voted Jake as this season’s Bobblehead-du-jour. Heady stuff, you might say.

“It’s pretty cool to pick me out of everyone else, kind of honored by that,” laughed Odorizzi. “Hopefully it comes out good and doesn’t make me look too dumb.”

The way he’s pitching, the Odorizzi mantel back home might get congested with Bobbleheads baring his likeness. As long as there’s one sporting a Brewers uniform some day, bobble away!

“I have to work every day to keep doing this because there is always somebody waiting to come and take your spot,” said Odorizzi. “This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, so I want to align myself with the greatest opportunity to accomplish my goal. So if that means working harder than someone else or doing something with just a little bit extra, I’m going to do it.”

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/gallery_images/3416_65234.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Player Profile: pitcher Damon Krestalude

By Post-Crescent staff writer Jim Oskola

No. 27 Damon Krestalude

- Position: Pitcher.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Height, weight: 6-4, 185.

- Hometown: Port St. Lucie, Fla.

- Notes: Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 17th round (518th overall pick) in June, 2008. …Graduated from Port St. Lucie High School in 2008. …Born on June 5, 1989, in Middletown, Conn. …Went 1-4 with a 3.15 ERA, 16 walks and 28 strikeouts in 14 games with the Brewers' Arizona League team in 2008. … Spent most of the 2009 season with Helena in the Pioneer League, going 3-4 with a 5.35 ERA, 28 walks and 50 strikeouts in 15 games. … Was pitcher-of-the-week in the Pioneer League for the week of June 29, 2009. … Also appeared in two games for Brevard County in 2009. … Had an ERA of 4.83 with the Rattlers before missing much of June with an injury. … Has struggled since then, with an ERA of 9.11

Q&A

Q: What was it like when you got the call from the Brewers stating that they had drafted you?

A: "It was great. It was a dream come true. That's all I've wanted to do since I was little is play professional baseball, get to the major leagues and be a major league baseball player. That was my dream. To have the first part of it coming true and becoming a professional baseball player is a dream come true. I had a few other teams look at me. I had gone to the pre-draft workout up in Milwaukee. I knew the Brewers were pretty high on me. They called me a few rounds before they took me in 2008. They took me, we negotiated and we got it done."

Q: Was there any thought of going the college route?

A: "I was going to be going to a junior college in my area with the thought of being able to be drafted every year. It was there. It was an option, but I felt going the professional route was the best option for me."

Q: You were born in Connecticut and raised in Port St. Lucie, Florida. What's it like living in Florida as opposed to a place like Wisconsin, where we have snow for several months out of the year?

A: "It's nice. I like it. I've had the chance to experience both types of heat. I've experienced the humid Florida weather and playing in the Arizona league the dry heat. I guess growing up in Florida, I kind of prefer that. It's not too much to play in either one of those, but I prefer the Florida heat."

Q: Have you ever had to deal with a hurricane?

A: "Back in 2004, it was a busy year. I think we had like four hurricanes hit that same year. I think we had two within like a two-week span where they hit right around Port St. Lucie. We were out of school like two months. So I've lived through it. It's a little scary but there's a little bit of excitement there. All in all, you're hoping everybody stays safe and your house and belongings stay intact. That's the scary part. I guess being a young kid, getting out of school for a couple of months isn't bad."

Q: What's the fun part about pitching?

A: "I'd say the competitive atmosphere. You know the ball is in your court. Nothing can happen until you release the baseball and you have total control over that. It's basically you're the man in control. That's a big feeling to have out there on the mound."

Q: Which do you prefer, starting or relieving?

A: "Whatever the capacity is, I like having the ball. Right now, I'm in a starting role. That's fine with me. I like it. Being able to be in a routine every five or six days is real nice."

Q: What do you do on the days you're not pitching?

A: "You're always preparing. You hear the saying that your only day off as a pitcher is the day you're pitching. The days in-between, you're getting your workouts in. You're getting your long toss in. You're getting your bullpens. You're mentally getting prepared. You have your duties up in the stands. Basically, you're doing all that to build up to your start. Once you go out there, everything you've prepared for, you're just letting it go on the mound that day."

Q: How does charting pitches up in the stands help?

A: "You're back there and you're doing the charts basically for the coaches but also it's a great opportunity to get your own perspective and scouting report for that team that you might be pitching against next. You can get an idea for how their hitters work, how an approach is that we're taking that might not be the best or might be a good approach against this team. It gives you an upper hand."

Q: Earlier this year you played at Miller Park. What was that like?

A: "It's fantastic. Whenever you get the opportunity to play in a big-league stadium and prepare and have basically that day to be treated like big leaguers, having the meal pregame and postgame. Being out in that stadium was amazing. It's just a little taste. Hopefully, I'll be experiencing that a lot more at the end of my career."

Q: Other sports besides baseball?

A: "I played basketball one year. It wasn't too great. My buddy Adam asked me to play, so I played. Then, my freshman year in high school, the football team wanted me to come out. We didn't really have that great of a football program at my high school. They said, 'Oh, you're pitching. You can be the quarterback.' A couple of tackles there and I was over it."

Q: Off the field what do you do for fun?

A: "I just like to relax. Baseball is kind of my life. I love watching it and learning from it. I'm kind of a student of the game. The more I get to watch, whether it's on TV or going out and watching games, I love to do it. When I'm away from baseball, I just like to relax and kick back, fish a little bit. I like to bass fish. We were out one time and the biggest bass I ever caught was on my last cast. We were out and I said, 'One more cast.' You usually don't catch anything. I threw it in and this thing was six-seven pounds. That's a pretty big bass for me down there. Nothing too crazy but that's my fishing story."

Q: Your favorite player?

A: "Growing up, I liked Paul O'Neill. He was an outfielder but his competitive and warrior-type demeanor I liked. As a pitcher, I look at the Chris Carpenters and Adam Wainwrights but Greg Maddux is the type of guy I can kind of model myself after. He wasn't a real overpowering guy and I'm not a real overpowering guy. He was more of a command guy. That's who I try to emulate."

Q: Favorite team. Any sport.

A: "Growing up I was a Yankee fan. I've got to root for Milwaukee now. The Brewers, I'd say, but growing up, I was always a New York Yankee and New York Giants fan because my family is from up north. I was kind of born into it."

The tool box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Damon Krestalude:

- Ups: "He's a very cerebral type pitcher. He's a command guy. He throws four pitches. His strength, obviously, is carrying out a game plan. He's not a velocity guy by any means. He's a four-pitch guy. He can throw any four pitches for strikes. He's a front-to-back guy. He can throw a fastball and changeup, go back-and-forth in the strike zone, has a little cutter and a curveball that he does a good job with. To me, he's just a complete pitcher who knows how to pitch. The good things that I see from him is that he's calm and collected and has a good idea every time out. He's got a big-league mind going some times. He can really carve up a lineup when he gets all his stuff going."

- Downs: "There is a lot of stuff going on with his delivery. It's part of his deception. He's not a hard thrower so he has to rely on deception and being able to command the strike zone. With that, there's a lot of things going on with his delivery so it takes some time sometimes to get that back in order. Out of spring training, though, he had a little injury where he was off for six weeks, it was fine. He came back off the injury and he's having a hard time getting that rhythm and timing back. The negative with trying to have deception and having a lot of movement with your delivery is that it can get off kilter at times. That's where he's at right now. Would I like for him to be able to simplify his delivery? Yes, but part of that is giving in to a little bit of his deception. We've got to find a way to get him back on track and get him to be able to repeat his delivery more often."

What is it that makes you think Garth Iorg gives false reports? Also, I guess people want to believe that Isom saying Gennet's best chance to play in MLB is as a 2B means he is unable to play SS, but the language flatly does not support that conclusion. If he was trying to convey that, it would be a pulled punch.

I never said Iorg gives "false reports". Also, I'm not going to bother to argue what Isom meant by what he said about Gennett, to me it sounds fairly obvious, but if you disagree, so be it.

Richardson is Offensive Player of the Week

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - D'Vontrey Richardson made a run at a Midwest League record last week. He missed out on that bit of history, but he was recognized for the attempt. The center fielder for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers was named the Player of the Week for the Midwest League on Monday for his play from August 16-22.

Richardson reached based in 11 consecutive plate appearances from August 18-20 in a series against the Beloit Snappers. The Midwest League record for reaching base safely in consecutive plate appearances is 14.

For the week, Richardson went 10-for-20 (.500) with three doubles, two triples, and a home run. He also drew eight walks in six games during the week to run his on base percentage to .643. The six extra-base hits in the week gave Richardson a slugging percentage of 1.000.

The 5th round selection of the Milwaukee Brewers out of Florida State University in the 2009 draft is the second Timber Rattlers player to win the Midwest League Player of the Week this season. Khris Davis won the award on June 28.

Davis and the Timber Rattlers are currently on a road trip. They will return home to start the final homestand of the 2010 season on Saturday, August 28.

Tickets are available for the seven games on the August 28 through September 3 homestand and may be purchased one of three ways: On-line at www.timberrattlers.com, over the phone at 800-WI-TIMBER, or in person at the Time Warner Cable Field Box Office.

===================================

Paxson is Midwest League Trainer of the Year

GRAND CHUTE, WI – The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers have an award winning trainer. Jeff Paxson has been selected as the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society Midwest League Trainer of the Year. He now is in the running for the Minor League Trainer of the Year Award against the other 16 winners from the other leagues in minor league baseball.

Paxson was selected for the award in a vote by the trainers of the 16 teams in the Midwest League. The Minor League Trainer of the Year Award will be announced at the 2010 Baseball Winter Meetings in December.

Three Rattlers are MWL Postseason All-Stars

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Three Wisconsin Timber Rattlers have been named to the 2010 Midwest League Postseason All-Star Team. Second baseman Scooter Gennett, outfielder Khris Davis, and closer Jon Pokorny were elected to the team in a vote by the managers of the 16 teams in the Midwest League. These three Rattlers are the first postseason all-stars for the Timber Rattlers since Matt Tuiasosopo was the shortstop on the 2005 team.

Gennett, who was the starting second baseman for the West Division at the 2010 All-Star Game in Fort Wayne, is hitting .321, the highest batting average of current Midwest League players. In his first professional season, Gennett has nine home runs and 54 RBI.

Davis was the starting left fielder for the West Division in the 2010 All-Star Game and he stole the show on the night before the game by winning the Midwest League Home Run Derby. Davis is hitting .284 with 19 homers and 65 RBI. The nineteen homers are good for third in the Midwest League and are two shy of tying the Timber Rattlers franchise record for home runs in a single season.

Pokorny, a ninth round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2009 draft out of Kent State, started the season in long relief and set up roles. In early June, he was moved into the closer's spot and has been almost perfect. Pokorny is 16 for 19 in save opportunities this season and is tied for fifth in the Midwest League in saves. Pokorny, who was named to the postseason squad as a left-handed reliever, is three saves shy of tying the Wisconsin franchise record for saves in a single season.

The naming of three Timber Rattlers to this season's postseason All-Star team marks the most Wisconsin players on the team in franchise history. The previous high had been two in four straight seasons form 1998 to 2001.

PAST

TIMBER RATTLERS MWL POSTSEASON ALL-STARS

PLAYER

POS [/b]

[/b]SEASON[/b]

Matt Tuiasosopo SS

Shin-Soo Choo OF

Pedro Lirano 2B

Jamal Strong OF

Shawn McCorkle 1B

Chris Snelling OF

Juan Silvestre OF

Clint Chrysler LHRP

Jermaine Clark 2B

Ryan Anderson LHSP

The three MWL Postseason All-Stars and the entire Wisconsin Timber Rattlers team are home to wrap up their regular season home schedule for 2010 with a homestand from August 28 through September 3. Tickets are available for all seven games of the homestand and may be purchased one of three ways: On-line at www.timberrattlers.com, over the phone at 800-WI-TIMBER, or in person at the Time Warner Cable Field Box Office.

McCalvy: "Was told Scooter Gennett missed 5 days b/c of sore shoulder from a dive, not 'doghouse'"

Could have been sustained on the pick-off play at second base he was involved in as a baserunner shortly before leaving the game on the 19th.

that makes a lot more sense to me. He left in the middle of the game shortly after diving into second. I didnt see any clubhouse altercation that would have led me to believe anything otherwise, and I doubt the manager was anxious to put arguably his best hitter on the bench for 5 games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: pitcher Efrain Nieves

Cory Jennerjohn, Appleton Post-Crescent

Efrain Nieves file

- Position: Pitcher.

- Bats/throws: Left/left.

- Height, weight: 6-0, 172.

- Hometown: Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

- Notes: Drafted by Milwaukee in the seventh round (221st overall) of the 2007 draft. ... Attended the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. ... Struck out 49 batters in 45 innings between the Rookie Arizona Brewers and Rookie Helena in 2007. ... Racked up a 6-3 record in 11 starts in Helena while maintaining a strikeout-walk ratio of 66-10 in 2008. ... Participated in the IBAF World Cup with Team Puerto in 2009.

Q&A

Q: What was your favorite major league baseball team as a kid?

A: "Cleveland Indians. Part of my mom's family was raised in Lorain, Ohio. So, growing up and going to visit my family, we would always go and watch the Cleveland Indians play."

Q: Who was your favorite major league baseball player growing up?

A: "Albert Pujols. Before Pujols, my favorite major league player was Roberto Alomar."

Q: This is your second year with the Timber Rattlers. How much have you learned since you came to the Fox Valley as a 19-year-old?

A: "I learned a bunch of stuff. It's a good feeling to have older guys around each other. That way you can pick up small stuff from each and every single one of them and apply it to your game."

Q: What do you like best about Appleton?

A: "Right now, the weather in the summer. No, I'm just kidding. Appleton's pretty nice. You know how some cities are crowded? Appleton is a real laid-back city. And that's kind of why I like it a lot."

Q: Favorite Appleton restaurant?

A: "Applebee's."

Q: Favorite thing to get at Applebee's?

A: "Broccoli and shrimp Alfredo pasta."

Q: You get that every time?

A: "Every single time."

Q: What do you like to do on your day off?

A: "The best thing I like to do is go to the mall and do a little window shopping and just get something for myself or play golf."

Q: What kind of shopping are you doing — antiquing, perhaps?

A: "No, no, no. To be honest, more like shoes. Like Aldo, Foot Locker."

Q: So how many pairs of shoes do you own?

A: "Right here, I've got 10, 15 and probably another 10, 15 at home."

Q: What's one thing that people don't know about you?

A: "About golf. I'm starting to learn the game of golf. I just started playing golf two weeks ago. That's something people don't know about me."

Q: Do you like golf?

A: "I like it a lot. I bought a brand new set of golf clubs."

Q: Are you pretty good?

A: (Sighs) "Terrible".

The tool box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Efrain Nieves:

- Big improvement: "I think he's improved quite a bit. He's a guy that was 19 years old in this league, which I think was a challenge. I think it would be a challenge for any 19-year-old kid. He came in and started showing you some of the things he did early on. And we're like here we go again."

"But then halfway through, there was something that clicked in him. I saw a better focus on the mound. Delivery-wise, he had made some adjustments by getting his stroke a little shorter. And then also the mental game, he's really sharpened up."

- Looking ahead: "I think there's a guy at 20 years old, that has got an average major league fastball. Has got a feel for a changeup and has a chance to pitch in the big leagues. There for a while, I wasn't sure that he was going to have a chance but as young as he is and being left-handed, I think he's got a chance."

- Needs work: "Well, I think he's got to get better fastball command. I think he's in and out of it. There's a lot of times when he can really get after hitters and not miss a spot and then maybe, when he doesn't need to be down the middle zone, he makes a mistake there. His fastball command has to improve. I think his breaking ball has to improve. That's probably his worst pitch right now is his curveball/ slider, whatever you want to call it."

Archived