Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

bnedaddy
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Some text italicized, interesting note about change-ups throughout the organization...

Odorizzi changes it up: New pitch may be ticket to majors for Highland grad

BY NORM SANDERS, Belleville News-Democrat

Like most pitchers drafted in the first round, Jake Odorizzi has an exploding fastball that reaches speeds well above 90 mph.

The Milwaukee Brewers prized prospect also features several other quality pitches he began to develop while helping Highland High to the 2008 Class 3A state championship.

But it's a pitch of deception -- the changeup -- that may help Odorizzi the most on his climb toward the Major Leagues.

"I'm throwing more off-speed pitches now and that's probably the biggest difference," said Odorizzi, 4-1 with a 3.34 ERA in 14 games for the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Midwest League. "I'm throwing more changeups. People hit fastballs, so you have to mix in everything and become a complete pitcher instead just a pitcher that throws hard."

Named the Brewers' ninth-best prospect in the entire organization earlier this year by Baseball America, the 32nd overall pick in the 2008 draft is living up to lofty expectations.

Recently chosen to play in the Midwest League All-Star Game, Odorizzi (6-foot-2, 175 pounds) has allowed one run and eight hits over 11 innings in his last two starts.

That includes a six-inning masterpiece June 26 against Burlington that featured 10 strikeouts and no walks.

On May 25 against Kane County, Odorizzi threw a career-high seven shutout innings and struck out seven.

"There were a lot of good things happening that day," he said. "That was my longest outing in pro ball and everything just came together really well that day. It was nice to have that total package for one game."

Odorizzi also has 79 strikeouts, the fourth highest total in the Midwest League -- along with 23 walks in 64 2/3 innings.

Opponents are hitting just .218 against him and the hard-throwing right-hander has surrendered only one home run. Odorizzi, who passed up a baseball scholarship from Louisville to sign with the Brewers for just over $1 million, is opening a lot of eyes in the organization.

"The best thing that he's done is command his fastball better and that's the key to his success," said Reid Nichols, the Brewers' director of player development who said all pitchers in the organization are required to throw 10 percent changeups during each appearance.

"If they don't, then we cut their pitches back the next outing so it puts the onus on the pitcher and the pitching coach to monitor and make sure that they're throwing changeups."

Odorizzi said a grip change has helped him add an effective changeup to an arsenal that includes a 93 mph fastball and sharp-breaking slider.

"I didn't really have one, so I had to go through the whole thing of learning a new change," Odorizzi said. "It's a matter of trusting it and just throwing it."

Nichols said the Brewers are impressed with Odorizzi's work ethic and his rapid development as a pitcher.

"That's actually a very competitive league for where he is in his development and there's some pretty good hitters," Nichols said. "From top to bottom there's really not much break in the lineup, so he's done a good job. He's a hard worker and a great kid, very respectful.

"We wish we had more like him."

The Brewers said lowering pitch counts is another reason they like changeups.

"It's sort of like a mental thing with young pitchers," Nichols said. "They like more swing-and-miss type pitches, but we want the batter to put the ball in play early in the count. It helps the pitcher throw less pitches and does a lot of good things for you."

Back in the Midwest

After pitching in Helena, Mont., last summer, Odorizzi is just six hours from his native Highland this year. The Rattlers are based in Appleton, Wis., and play in a league that includes two other area players.

Former Wesclin and Eastern Illinois University standout Tyler Kehrer pitches for Cedar Rapids and Civic Memorial graduate Nick Wooley pitches for Burlington.

"It has a Midwest feeling, so that's nice and something that I'm used to," Odorizzi said. "It's nice being a little closer to home. The family comes to watch the games and my girlfriend comes to watch a lot. It's nice to have some familiar faces coming."

As one of the youngest players on the team, Odorizzi is used to having to prove himself all over again each summer in the minors.

"You have to perform well. It doesn't matter if you're a first-rounder or a 48th-rounder," he said.

Life in the minors

With few days off, Odorizzi said his life in the summer basically consists of pitching, preparing to pitch and working out.

The Timber Rattlers aren't staying in swanky hotels as they criss-cross the Midwest and its cozy baseball outposts. They travel to towns like Quad-Cities, Cedar Rapids and Burlington in Iowa, Peoria and Kane County in Illinois along with South Bend and Fort Wayne in Indiana.

Many times a Best Western is about as good as the accommodations will get. Crazy ballpark promotions are commonplace and each new city has its own style.

Charter buses are the typical mode of transportation and players do their best to make their typical meal money disbursement of $20 to $25 last all day.

"A lot of places we go they don't have anything but fast food or something like that," Odorizzi said. "Subway is a very popular place to go. A lot of people go there because they don't want to eat fast food. That's usually what I get."

There's plenty of big money to be made once players reach the major leagues, but most appreciate the long, strange trip it took to get there.

"We get paid about $1,200 a month and that's what you live off of, your signing bonus plus that," Odorizzi said. "Everyone thinks that everybody's' got a lot of money, but it's not like that."

Fringe benefits

Odorizzi and his teammates got to play alongside a couple major-leaguers earlier this season when Brewers pitcher Jeff Suppan -- now with the Cardinals -- and outfielder Carlos Gomez were in Appleton on rehabilitation assignments.

Odorizzi knew all about Suppan, who helped the Cardinals win the 2006 World Series title.

"We really didn't get a chance to talk too much baseball with him," Odorizzi said. "He talked to us a little bit, but nothing really major about pitching or things like that. It was really neat just seeing him there, watching what he does and the things he likes to do before pitching."

Brought along slowly

The Brewers believe in bringing their high-school pitchers along slowly, which is why Odorizzi didn't see a high innings total last summer in the Pioneer League.

He was 1-4 in 12 appearances -- including 10 starts --for Helena with a 4.40 ERA and 43 strikeouts in 47 innings.

Odorizzi blew hitters away while starring for Highland, but those hitters were from Triad, Waterloo and Jerseyville. These days it's nothing but top-level prospects up and down the lineup while competing for jobs at the next level with everyone on his own squad.

What's the biggest difference?

"Probably just the hitters," he said. "Everyone's here for the same reason, they're all very good at baseball. This is a little bit more of a challenge now and you have to be able to adjust."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Q&A with former South Dakota State University standout Caleb Thielbar

Sioux Falls Argus Leader

Former South Dakota State standout Caleb Thielbar burst onto the minor-league scene last summer, putting together the best pro debut of anybody in the Milwaukee Brewers organization, according to Baseball America.

But now what? He's no longer a fresh draft pick and he's not on the verge of making the big leagues.

The left-handed pitcher from Randolph, Minn., is playing with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, a team in low Class A. He's 0-2 this season with two saves and a 4.79 ERA in 24 appearances. He took some time Tuesday to answer questions about his quest:

Q. How is Year 2 as a pro different than Year 1?

A. The main difference is playing a full season. It's 140 games, so the wear and tear on your body is a lot different than a short season where you play 60 games.

Q. You were a starter in college and are coming out of the bullpen now as a mid-to-long reliever. What's your take on the move?

A. I like it. It's nice to be able to have a chance to play every day. It seems like a lot of the starters just pack it in after batting practice is done. We have to stay in the game every day. It's kind of fun to be involved in every single game.

Q. Are there some challenges to it?

A. You can go out and have one bad outing, and it completely screws up your numbers for the next month. That's when you have to stop getting caught up in it. Go out and put up zeroes for the next four or five outings and the numbers will even out eventually.

Q. Is it difficult to stay focused on the day-to-day and not get caught up in possible promotions and timelines?

A. It is. You're always thinking about it. The thing that you really have trouble with is overanalyzing everything that goes on in the system as far as guys getting moved around. I just try to keep my focus off that and worry about how I'm doing. Everything will take care of itself.

Q. There are a handful of former Jackrabbits playing the pro game. Do you guys give each other advice and encouragement?

A. I think we all keep an eye on each other, but I haven't talked to the other guys in quite a while - I should do that sometime. It's always good to see the other guys doing well.

He can swing it

Tom Haudricourt/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Class A Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom likes what he sees from

leftfielder Khris Davis, a seventh-round draft pick in 2009. Entering

Saturday, Davis, 22, was batting .303 with 18 doubles, four triples, 11

home runs, 42 RBI and a .932 OPS for the Timber Rattlers.

The

Midwest League player of the week for last week, Davis also put on a

power display at the league's all-star home run derby, winning the

competition by socking 25 out of the park in three rounds.

"He's a

baseball rat," said Isom. "His dad's a scout in the Diamondbacks

organization. He's been around baseball his whole life. He played in the

College World Series with Cal State-Fullerton.

"He is an advanced

bat. He gets himself into good hitting counts. If he gets 2-0, 3-1 in

the count, he puts a pretty good swing on it. He has a plan every time

he goes to the plate."

Though Davis is not considered one of the

top prospects in the system, Isom believes he can make it to Milwaukee

via his offensive prowess.

"I think with that bat, he has a chance

to play in the major leagues," said Isom. "He's an intriguing guy."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers Profile: Relief pitcher No. 30 Jon Pokorny

Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

Jon Pokorny file

- Position: Closer.

- Bats/throws: Right/left.

- Height, weight: 6-2, 225.

- Residence: Seven Hills, Ohio.

- Notes: Selected by Milwaukee in the ninth round of the 2009 June Draft. ... Attended Kent State University, which also produced Yankees catcher Thurman Munson and former AL Cy Young winner Steve Stone. ... Named second-team all-Mid-American Conference as a reliever in 2009. ... Was part of three straight MAC championship teams.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: Cleveland Indians.

- MLB player growing up: "C.C. Sabathia. He threw hard and he's a lefty and I always portrayed myself trying to be like him."

- Can you hit like he can? "(Laughs) No."

- Current Brewer: Prince Fielder.

- Food: "Italian. I like Jonathan's Bistro."

- Job as a kid: "I only had one. I worked at a grocery store for three years. Stock boy."

- Way to spend an off day: "Usually go to the golf course, get a round of 18 in and then just relax the rest of the day. I've only played at Eagle Creek up here. It's real nice."

- How good a golfer are you? "I'm horrible."

- Baseball memory: "Probably two. My junior season, we won the MAC Tournament and I was the closer and I got dog-piled. Also, hearing my name over the radio during the draft."

- What's it like to be at the bottom of a dog pile? "Well, you're getting trampled on but yet you're so happy. You don't feel the pain."

- Thing about Appleton: "It's fan friendly. I really haven't played in front of big crowds like this before, occasion after occasion. I'm used to college and Helena (rookie ball) where it was 200 people max. That felt like a high school baseball game. Now, I'm actually taking it all in. So it's nice to play in front of a big crowd."

Q&A

Q: You were born and raised in Cleveland. So if LeBron James leaves, is it going to crush you and the rest of the city?

A: Yeah. I always said, if he left, the city might burn down. I hope he stays. He's been good to Cleveland. I hope he stays. I think he is. If he goes anywhere, I'd probably say Chicago."

Q: You live in a city known for its sports teams breaking their fans hearts. Which team has broken your heart the most?

A: Browns, easily.

Q: What's your most prized sports possession?

A: All three years in college, we won championship rings, so I'd say one of those three.

Q: What's the toughest thing about being a relief pitcher?

A: Waiting for your time to get into games. You could pitch back-to-back days and then you'll have a week off. Just being mentally prepared.

Q: You've been moved to the closer role, what's that like?

A: I love it. It's an adrenaline rush. I just go out there and pound the strike zone. My goal is always to get the first guy out then you don't have to worry about any other situations or anything like that. Once I get that out of the way, it just kind of goes along.

Q: What's the best way to kill time in the pen?

A: We do a lot of things. We play mental games. We play basketball with a pitching bag — try to shoot a baseball in there. And, if there's a new guy that comes in and goes to the port-a-john, we'll stick the bench in front of it and make him stay there for a couple innings.

Q: What's the hardest thing about minor-league baseball?

A: Lot of traveling and being in hotels, but that's a given. Basically, being away from family and friends most of the time. Gone for eight months out of the year.

Q: Why No. 30?

A: Well, my number is 27, but Damon Krestalude had it so I just said, next one available from that.

Q: What's the part of your game that needs the most work?

A: The past few outings, I haven't been getting the first batter out. I've been giving up base hits to them. Probably bearing down and being more mentally focused when I come into the game.

Q: Ever meet anyone famous?

A: No, except for the players who've come around here on rehab.

The tool box

From Chris Hook, Rattlers pitching coach

- Repertoire: "He's got a fastball, in the 88-89 mph range, which he throws with a good command. Has a cutter/slider, and then he's got a curveball and a changeup. So he's a four-pitch guy but mostly a two-pitch guy with his fastball and cutter."

- Makeup: "He's a gutsy guy in the back end of the bullpen. He's shown resiliency. Guys get on and he shuts them down. He's a strikeout guy, so he does miss bats. The cutter is something that he has taken on here. At the beginning of the season, he had a really difficult time with his curveball, having a hard time throwing it for strikes. His cutter has been like a middle-count pitch for him, hitting the strike zone while he's learned to take it out of the zone as well. It's a good pitch for him. Very consistent."

- Ability to close: "When the game's on the line, I don't think it's something you really develop. You either have it or you don't have it. I think Porky's one of those guys that has that intestinal fortitude. He likes it. He's done it in college. It takes a special person to get the most important out of the game, in my opinion."

- Biggest need for improvement: "He tends to get three-ball counts a lot. If we can get some early count outs out of him … He tends to get in deep in counts. He does have the ability to miss bats, which is a benefit to him, but I'd like him to get some more early count outs. It would be helpful. I think sometimes his stuff has action and moves out of the zone early in the count and that's why he gets behind sometimes."

Wisconsin's Jon Pokorny says being a closer is "an adrenaline rush." (Post-Crescent photo by Dan Powers)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100704&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=7040626&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Chris just mentioned this promotion the T-Rats are running on the broadcast. I voted for Scooter vs the Snowmam.

2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Fans' Choice Bobblehead

Help the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pick who should be immortalized as a bobblehead. The winning selection will be given away on Thursday, September 2nd at Time Warner Cable Field. Voting will run through the end of the Midwest League All Star Break.

Candidates:

Eric Arnett - P - 2010

The Brewers 1st round draft pick in 2009 out of Indiana, Arnett is currently a member of the Timber Rattlers.

Adam Jones - SS - 2004

Seattle's top pick in 2003, Jones hit .267 with 23 doubles, 7 triples, 11 home runs, and 72 RBI for the Timber Rattlers in 2004. The Baltimore Orioles' center fielder was named an American League All Star for the first time in 2009.

Cameron Garfield - C - 2010

A second round selection by the Brewers in 2009, Garfield is the starting catcher for the Timber Rattlers.

Charlie Capper

The Timber Rattlers main scoreboard operator since Fox Cities Stadium opened in 1995, Charlie started running the scoreboard for Foxes games in 1987 at Goodland Field. Combined, he has work well over 1,000 games for the Foxes and Timber Rattlers. The Press Box at Time Warner Cable Field was named in honor of Charlie in 2008.

Kyle Heckathorn - P - 2010

A supplemental first round choice by Milwaukee in 2009 out of Kennesaw State, Heckathorn is a current member of the Timber Rattlers.

Felix Hernandez - P - 2003

Hernandez was just 17 years old when he made his Timber Rattlers debut near the end of the 2003 season. King Felix reached the Majors by age 19 and was an All Star at 23.

Scooter vs. the Snowman

After a snow storm dumped 5 inches of snow on Time Warner Cable Field on Opening Day 2010, the Timber Rattlers players made a snowman in the outfield. After the players had their fun dressing it up, Scooter Gennett took a swing and destroyed the head of the snowman In an incident made famous by a

Jake Odorizzi - P - 2010

The current Rattlers pitcher was a supplemental 1st round draft pick by the Brewers in 2008.

ODORIZZI IS FANS' CHOICE FOR BOBBLEHEAD GIVEAWAY

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers fans have made their decision. Jake Odorizzi was selected to be immortalized as a bobblehead in an on-line vote that recently ended. The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers All-Star pitcher's bobblehead will be given away to the first 1,000 fans into Time Warner Cable Field for the game on Thursday, September 2.

Odorizzi had a slight edge over fellow Milwaukee Brewers pitching prospect Kyle Heckathorn in the poll that was conducted at TimberRattlers.com. The Fans' Choice Bobblehead giveaway is part of the final homestand of the regular season for the Timber Rattlers. Game time is 6:35 pm.

Tickets for the Jake Odorizzi Bobblehead night and for any game over the remainder of the 2010 home schedule may be purchased three ways: Over the phone at (800) WI-TIMBER or (920) 733-4152; in person at the Time Warner Cable Field Box Office; or online at www.timberrattlers.com.

Chris Mehring

Director of Media Relations/

Radio Announcer

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Class A Affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers profile: No. 1 Cutter Dykstra, third baseman

Cutter Dykstra file

- Position: Third base.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Height/weight: 5-11, 180.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the second round of the 2008 June Free Agent Draft. ... Graduated from Westlake (Calif.) High School. ... Turned down a scholarship offer from UCLA. ... Son of former major-leaguer Lenny Dykstra.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "Probably the Phillies."

- MLB player: "Growing up? My dad, obviously."

- Brewers player: "Probably (Ryan) Braun. We've got the same agent and I got to hit with him a few times in the offseason. I'm friends with him."

- Sport other than baseball: "Golf. I used to play a lot when I was growing up. I go around and hack some in the offseason. I'm pretty good, so it's fun."

- Food: "Pasta."

- Restaurant in Appleton: "Olive Garden."

- Job as a kid: "I worked at the golf course a little bit, but I never really had a job."

- Way to relax: "Listen to music."

- Way to spend an off day: "Go see a movie."

- Thing about Appleton: "The fans. I love the fan turnout we get and they really appreciate the team and they're just great fans out here."

- Baseball memory: "Getting drafted and having the chance to play professional baseball. I was at home, watching the draft with my family."

Q&A

Q: Do most people think you're named after a pitch?

A: Yeah, I get that question a lot. Actually, it was a movie my mom and dad were watching. They really liked the character and my dad really liked the name Cutter, so they went with it.

Q: How often did your dad take you to the park?

A: Not so much during the season. But during spring training, when I was little, I used to go and run around. It was awesome, just knowing what it's all about. It does make this easier at times, knowing how the game works. It was great.

Q: Was baseball your first love?

A: I always loved baseball and I've always played my whole life. I also played a lot of golf and I had to pick one or the other and I chose baseball. Actually, my dad wanted me to play golf. He wanted me to come to the game (of baseball), not because he played it but he wanted me to love it. I played a lot of golf, but eventually I figured it wasn't for me, and when I hit high school, I focused on baseball.

A: I have a set of cards from the Mets' All-Amazing Team that I just kind of found. They're signed by all the players. The best Mets ever, so it's kind of cool.

Q: What was it like to live in Wayne Gretzky's old house?

A: We still have it. Me and my dad might be moving back in there. It's cool. We're close to the Gretzky family. It's a great house.

Q: You're actually from a hockey family, right?

A: My dad's grandfather and his brother, they're all Canadian and they were studs in the NHL.

Q: So you're a hockey fan as well?

A: I love hockey. Hockey is actually the sport I respect the most. I think it's amazing what those guys do. I go to Kings games a lot in the offseason.

Q: Did you ever watch Gretzky play?

A: I did. I was friends with his sons growing up, so whenever they'd go, they would invite me. I'd get a chance to go in the locker room — it's completely different than baseball, I'll tell you that. Those guys are animals.

Q: Did you ever get on the ice with Gretzky?

A: Nah, I never put on skates. I just watched.

Q: You've had an up-and-down career and changed positions. Have you found your comfort zone?

A: Definitely. I feel great. Confidence is as high as it can be right now. I love playing every day and I'm a happy dude right now.

Q: How difficult was it to deal with the dual expectations of being a high draft choice and being Lenny Dykstra's kid?

A: It was, but, for the name, I love the name on the back of my jersey. I want people to come and I want to put on a show for them like my dad did and I want them leaving the field saying he plays the game just like his dad. I like that.

Q: What part of your game needs the most improvement?

A: Still defense. Getting that repetition and getting the games in. Just getting better every day.

Q: What's the hardest part about playing minor-league baseball?

A: Just the grind. Just playing every day. Being on the road. The ups and downs. Just sticking with that confidence and just dealing with failure.

Q: How do you deal with failure?

A: Just get 'em the next day.

Q: Any significance to the No. 1 on your jersey?

A: No. 4 was my number last year. It's always been my number. I was going to change it to 22 this year. That kind of two and two is four kind of thing. I still like the number and I'd like to be that. But (former Rattlers pitcher Eric) Arnett had it here. My dad wore No. 1 all through the minor leagues and I still think it's his favorite number. It's been working, so I think I'm going to stick with it. I like it.

Q: What would bother you more, if I took your glove or your bat?

A: Glove, 100 percent. My game glove, I don't let anyone touch.

Q: How much grief do you still get for having Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" as your walkup song?

A: Not too much grief. Occasionally, people laugh at it. I think it's funny. It puts me in a good mood when I'm going to hit. I like it. I think the fans like it and it's been working, so I'm going to stick with it.

Q: They've got her on the video board to go with it.

A: Yeah, I don't know about that. They didn't tell me about that. It's kind of tough to walk up when she's up there. I don't like that.

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers hitting coach Matt Erickson breaks down Cutter Dykstra:

- Offensive progress: "First of all, the kid looks healthy this year. Obviously, he got off to a rough start here offensively (last season). He had some mechanical issues we were working on. But he never really found a whole lot of confidence and therefore never really got into a rhythm.

"This year, he came to spring training and you could tell immediately that he did some work in the offseason. One, he did look healthy and two, his swing looked real good. He had a definite plan in the early morning into his early work. A lot of the stuff we tried to develop last year, here — we talk a lot about first year, the process of developing a routine, something that you believe in and then build on that everyday — he bought into that. He definitely has a routine now, off the tee and his flips.

"We talk about backside turn, starting your swing with your lower half and I told him today he arguably, right now, might have the best lower half on our team, which produces a lot of bat speed. He's a very confident kid right now. He's having some success. Everything he's doing is very repeatable and he feels that, offensively, he's got some confidence and it shows. So it's fun to watch."

- Defense: "I know we've bounced him around the past couple of years at a couple of positions.

"He struggled in the outfield last year and we moved him to second. Obviously, we didn't have an opening there when he came here (because of Scooter Gennett), but we did have an opening at third. It's a credit to his versatility and his willingness to bounce around and do anything to get into the lineup. We've had a talk about that. The more positions you can play, the more opportunities you're going to get to be in the lineup. If you swing the bat, the manager is going to find room for you somewhere.

"At third base, it's shown over the last couple of weeks that he's getting more comfortable over there as far as positioning. When we first put him out there, he was looking into the dugout on every hitter. Now he's doing his positioning pretty much on his own. He's taking his time. He understands he has a little more time at third base, get your feet under you and make a good throw. He's turning more into a complete player than we saw last year."

- Base running: "He's fine. He's an aggressive guy. Every time he gets down to first base, he says 'I'm going. I'm going.' He wants to steal on every pitch. Obviously, there are better times to steal than others, but he wants to go all the time and we have to rein him back. He's a heady player. The other day, he put pressure on the defense by going from first to third on a ball hit to right field. It was a sharply hit ball, and the ball was thrown away at third. So he'll find a way to put pressure on the defense with his base running."

Cutter Dykstra has found a home at third base with the Timber Rattlers. (Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100711&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=7110612&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Dykstra's OBP now up to .414; power hasn't come yet, but anytime a guy has an OBP over .400 you have to pay attention to him.

Obviously he is new to 3B, so I'm wondering for those who have seen him in person does he have the arm/ability to stay there? He just turned 21, so can he turn into a Jeff Cirillo-type 3B and put up a line like .280/.370/.430 - .800 OPS? Or is his future more likely trade bait as he has McGehee/Gamel/Green ahead of him at 3B and Weeks/Lawrie/Gennett ahead of him at 2B?

Caleb Thielbar making the most of opportunities

Nick Hartley/Brookings Register

APPLETON, Wisc. - Last summer, Caleb Thielbar began a whirlwind tour of the minor league system when he was drafted in the 18th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Prior to the draft, the Brewers faintly registered on his radar, as the Twins and Tigers were among the suitors that had heavily pursued the lefty ace of the Jackrabbits. Thielbar was told by Jackrabbit head coach Ritchie Price and several scouts to be expecting a call during the draft.

"It was a surprise," said Thielbar of the Brewers call. "I didn't even talk to the Brewers until the day of the draft. I had seen one of their scouts at one of our games and talked to him briefly. But after that I didn't have any contact with them during the next two months."

Coming in with no idea of what to expect, Thielbar relied on former teammates Craig Parry and Jake Rogers, along with Price, to understand the ropes of the minor league systems.

Starting off with the Helena Brewers, Thielbar pitched in only two games during his stint with Helena. The Randolph, Minn., native shook off the dust of not pitching on a consistent basis and showed the Brewers what he was made of in the Arizona League. Posting an Arizona League-best 1.59 ERA and tying for first in the league with six wins, Thielbar saw action in 14 games, making two starts while striking out 46 batters in 45 1-3 innings.

"My first couple times out weren't good," Thielbar said. "I think a lot of that was due to not pitching during the layoff. Once I got back in the swing of things, I was able to pitch better. It was just about pitching well and facing a lot of inexperienced hitters that helped out last summer. This summer they are better. They don't chase as many balls out of the strike zone and are more disciplined at the plate."

During the fall, Thielbar was on campus and using the weight room to work out on a daily basis. Once the fall semester ended, he trained back home, running, lifting and throwing to get ready for his first spring training with the Brewers.

"It (spring training) was a completely new experience," Thielbar said. "You had the chance to meet a lot of guys throughout the farm system at the different levels. My locker was next to Triple A, Double A and Single A guys. We"d pitch every two or three days. It was basically baseball all the time and nothing more."

In his time at SDSU, Thielbar pitched some in middle relief, while making several starts. With the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Midwest League, the 6-foot lefty made an easy transition from starter to middle reliever. Added into the mix this year is the wear and tear of the 140-game schedule.

"With the short season last summer, you would get a little worn down," said Thielbar. "But it wasn't like every single day for five to six months. It is the biggest thing that everyone goes through."

Just past the midway point of the season with the Timber Rattlers, the former 556th pick of the Brewers has seen action in 26 games. With an 0-2 record, two saves and an earned run average of 5.32, it takes just one bad outing to inflate the ERA and many good ones to deflate.

He also has 39 strikeouts and 10 walks in 45 2-3 innings.

Since the league"s All-Star break two weeks ago, the lefty has seen action in three games which have ballooned the ERA. And while there have been more bad outings than good as of late for Thielbar, the ability to forget the bad outings has pushed him on.

"It is basically a cycle with everyone," Thielbar said. "Our pitching coach told us, "Everyone is going to have good streaks and bad streaks." It is all a matter of keeping the good streaks going as long as possible. I wasn't getting lucky at the start of the season and I got hit pretty hard. I started to figure out to get the ball down and throw breaking balls and changeups for strikes. Ever since then, I feel like I have been pitching well just getting a few bad breaks here and there."

Not letting the game pass him by, the former Jackrabbit has enjoyed his "full-time" job with the Timber Rattlers so far.

A normal day consists of getting to the ball park by 2 or 3 p.m. for 7 p.m. games, and not leaving the ballpark until 11 p.m., if lucky. Conditioning, weight training and running are the norm for Thielbar, occasionally followed up by throwing sessions and batting practice.

"There"s really not a whole lot of free time," said Thielbar. "(Recently), I got up early to go golfing. There are usually a lot of courses around that cater to us. But people look at it and say, "They only work for three hours a day." That"s not really the whole truth. It isn't exactly what people on the outside looking in think it is."

While the ultimate goal is a promotion to the Brevard County Manatees of the Florida State League, a High A club, or the Huntsville Stars of the Double A Southern League, Thielbar has taken things in stride during this dream experience. The fan base of 4,000 to 5,000 is a far cry from that witnessed at Erv Huether Field or Miller Park, but it keeps Thielbar motivated

"There are just so many different things that happen on a daily basis," Thielbar said. "It is hard to even think about the promotions.

"It is a great experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. You get to play baseball for fun. What else do you want to do? It was the thing I wanted to do most, and I am finally getting a chance to do it."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers outfielder Khris Davis finding his power stroke

By Cory Jennerjohn, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — The sweat off the field is turning into highlights on it for Khris Davis.

The endless hours spent throwing weights around and taking hacks in the indoor batting cage is turning Davis into Mr. Automatic at the plate.

The Timber Rattlers left fielder is seven for his last seven with three home runs, a double, three singles and seven runs scored to go along with a 10-game hitting streak. He knocked another one out of Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium by sending a solo shot off the batting practice cage behind left as the Timber Rattlers beat Burlington 15-12 on Monday afternoon.

"It's almost like a joke," said shortstop Michael Marseco. "At some point in the game, you know he's going to put an amazing swing on a pitch and he's going to trot the bases. It's just kind of his thing."

The 2009 seventh-round draft choice now has 16 home runs. It took him 65 games to notch eight homers in the first half, but only 18 games to match that total in the second half.

He needs just five homers to tie Juan Silvestre (1999) and Matt Hagen (2003) for the team record.

"I'm just seeing a lot of mistakes and putting good swings on them," said Davis, who's batting .313 and leads the Midwest League in extra-base hits with 41. "It's pretty fun. I got to enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever."

Davis won the MWL All-Star Game home run derby on June 21 with 25 blasts in three rounds by mimicking his childhood idol.

"I said I'd like you to try something completely different than your normal swing," said Timber Rattlers hitting coach Matt Erickson. "I said who's your favorite player and he said Ken Griffey, Jr. I said, let's have fun with it. Stand up a little bit more, do a little bit of Ken Griffey, Jr., and I'll be dang that the picture that I saw on the Web site was kind of funny. He had his hat on backwards, it was almost like he was like he was mimicking Griffey."

And since he changed his swing and stance for the home run derby, he wasn't worried about altering his regular routine of working pitches the other way once he started playing games again.

Davis, 22, has baseball running through his veins. He played in last year's College World Series for Cal-State Fullerton and his dad is a scout in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization.

But even all that isn't the end-all for this kid. Despite being named MWL player of the week June 28 by instilling fear in most Class A pitchers, he has a glaring hole in his game.

"Throwing mechanics, the defensive side," said Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom.

But Isom quickly added that even a subpar arm — that was on display in the second on a shallow single to left that easily scored two runs — can be masked.

"The way he's swinging the bat, they're going to try to find a place for him in the lineup," Isom said. "Somewhere, someway, somehow."

"Throwing-wise there's a lot of improvement for me to play at the next level," Davis said. "That's what I'm focusing on this year."

If Davis works as hard in the cage as he does with his throwing motion, the Brewers could have themselves a diamond in the rough.

Waiting in the wings

Bob Brainerd/foxsportswisconsin.com

Hunter Morris found the Miller Park air refreshing and breathable. The roof panels were open, and sunny skies splashed down upon his chestnut hair while he was noticeably perched on the top seat of the home team dugout, watching Prince Fielder work at the position he hopes to anchor someday.

“It’s some big shoes to fill, definitely,” said first baseman Hunter Morris, the Brewers fourth round draft pick out of Auburn. “And hopefully everything works out best for him, for the organization and it all take its course as it may.”

The breathing exercise was a welcome exhale for a player who was anxious to sink his teeth into the opportunity for advancement through the Brewers food chain. His selection by Milwaukee came on a Tuesday, setting Hunter Morris in motion.

“I left my house on Sunday afternoon, drove almost all the way to Milwaukee, got my physical Monday morning, got into Appleton Monday night, and then 7:30 the next morning I’m on a four-hour bus ride to Clinton, Iowa,” recalls Morris. “So, it was a good couple of days before I got my feet settled.”

“It was a little bit of a struggle trying to figure out which way was up. But now that I’ve settled in, it’s nice to kind of collect myself and figure out where I’m at and enjoy everything.”

Now suited up for the Brewers Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, the recent Midwest League All Star break allowed Morris to venture south to the big ball yard and eye-ball not only Fielder, but the place he hopes to call home in the major leagues. No one has anointed him the chosen one at first base, and Morris, who is well versed in the Fielder saga, isn’t circling like a vulture ready to pounce on its prey.

“I’m not trying to push anybody out,” said Morris. “It’s just my job to show up and play baseball. And I’m happy about having that opportunity.”

It just makes good business sense for the Brewers to have a backup plan in place if Prince garners riches too steep for Milwaukee to match. Morris isn’t the immediate answer, but could be a future fixture if his numbers at Auburn are any indication. As a junior, the SEC Player of the Year and First Team All-American led the Tigers and the conference hitting .386 with 23 home runs and 76 RBI.

“Professional baseball is a different life, especially coming out of high school,” said Morris, who was a second-round prep pick of the Red Sox in 2007. “But I feel like I’ve had enough experience between all the baseball I played and being away for three years in college, I think I know what to expect for the most part being away, being alone, and having that responsibility.”

“(I’m) just trying to be mature about it and handle everything the right way.”

You can’t let the freckle faced looks fool you. Morris still may be young on his driver’s license (21), but this native of Huntsville, Alabama certainly has his head screwed on straight as he maps out his future. With maturity oozing in every direction, even money matters seem to be in check.

“I’m going to try to be as responsible as I can with the money and put it away,” Morris said proudly. “It takes a lot to get to the big leagues and make a very comfortable living and I definitely plan to do that. But just to be on the safe side, I’m not going to go out and spend my entire signing bonus or anything like that. I’m going to try to be smart about it.”

His odyssey is underway in Class A, and Morris is already beginning to get the lay of the land in Appleton and the type of ballplayers he now has to measure up against.

“You’re seeing some superior arms and superior hitters every weekend in the SEC, and I haven’t heard a whole lot about the difference, I think it’s pretty similar,” said Morris “I think you see better arms in pro ball than in college, I think you see better arms college than you see at this level right now. It just depends on which day and who you are looking at. So across the board, I really can’t compare them yet. Play a little more, get some more at bats under my belt and them kind of get a feel for where it stands and prepare.”

This vagabond bus trip lifestyle suits Morris just dandy. And if you mention that the Brewers Class AA team just happens to be back in his hometown of Huntsville, the kid’s eyes light up with the thought of playing in front of family and friends perhaps as early as next season.

“It is exciting to get going,” said Morris. “I was ready to start playing. I had a couple weeks there where I wasn’t doing much…got a little bored. I was definitely ready to start playing and didn’t have any interest in missing the whole summer in negotiating and all that stuff so I’m excited about being out there.”

Like his career track, Morris planned on taking baby steps in approaching Fielder when batting practice concluded. He won’t allow himself to be a pest and obnoxiously grill Prince to provide a blueprint on playing first base in the majors.

But Morris has every right to dream at night.

“Dream? Yeah, hopefully sooner than later I’d like to be putting on the uniform and being out here playing every day,” said Morris. “That’s everybody’s goal in any organization. Every kid wants to get to the big leagues as fast as possible.”

“It’s exciting to be out here and watch everything that goes on and knowing that it’s right there in front of you and know that opportunity is not far down the road.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Kentrail Davis' rehab from hamstring injury puts him in position to help Wisconsin

By Mike Woods, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — June 14 was not a good day for Kentrail Davis.

That's when the Brewers moved him from High Class A Brevard County to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, and the red flags filled cyberspace.

Another high Milwaukee draft pick — selected in the first round of the 2009 June draft, a pick that came via the CC Sabathia trade — not delivering on expectations. Davis was hitting .244 with 17 RBI and no homers when he was sent to the Timber Rattlers.

But, as is often the case, things aren't always as they seem.

"It was a never a reason of performance for being sent down," said Davis after the Rattlers split a doubleheader with Lansing on Thursday, taking the first game 7-4 before dropping the second 4-2 on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"It was more of an injury that I'm dealing with right now that a lot of people don't know about. It's a hamstring injury. They just wanted to get me up here in better weather to try and heal this thing."

Roughly 15 games into this season, he tweaked his hamstring at Brevard County in Florida. He sat out two weeks, came back, then tweaked it again. He sat another three weeks before the Brewers decided to move him to cooler weather in hopes of helping the injury heal.

That part of it hasn't worked out so well.

Every single day, Davis shows up to the park about an hour before his teammates and goes through a series of treatments with Rattlers trainers Jeff Paxson and Brian Melton.

"It's sore," said Davis. "Just playing every day, your legs are going to be sore, whether you're hurt or healthy. I mean, it's kind of tough. It's a long process, but it's working if I can stay on the field every day. It's a hassle, but I want to do whatever takes to get back up there."

Despite playing on an injured wheel, Davis has excelled in his one month with the Rattlers. He's hitting a team-high .348 with two homers and 14 RBI.

"The last month has been a little stressful, just with the injury," Davis said. "But, I love it here. I'm not thinking about being sent down. I really don't care about that as long as I'm playing.

"I don't expect to be 100 percent this year, at all. So I'm just taking it one day at a time and just doing enough to keep me out there on the field every day for the rest of the season."

Davis said just being on the field, despite his sore hamstring, keeps him confident.

"If I'm sitting and I come back and then I'm sitting and then I come back, I'm up and down," he said. "But if I can stay out there, then I feel good. … I've never really been in a rhythm this year at all."

He admitted the mental part of dealing with the injury has been just as draining as his daily rehabilitation. But he has shown the fortitude to press on no matter what the obstacles.

"It drives me crazy," he said of the slow healing process. "All I can do is just prepare. Just go to the trainer and do my routine everyday and try and stay positive about it. That's all I can do."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin pitcher Arnett hopes fresh start will pay off on the mound

By Ricardo Arguello, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — It's a clean slate for Eric Arnett.

The Milwaukee Brewers' 2009 first-round pick out of Indiana University returned to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Thursday for his second stint with the team after a tough first half of the season that saw him finish with a 0-7 record in 12 starts, with a 6.87 ERA.

He's hoping his recent stint at rookie ball in the Arizona League will help him find more success on the mound for the Timber Rattlers, who lost 6-4 to Lansing in a Midwest League game at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Friday.

Arnett pitched well in three relief appearances for Arizona, but did have a rough outing in his only start with the team, finishing his stint with a 2-0 record and a 7.31 ERA.

"Really, that's what got me in trouble in the first place," Arnett said about worrying about numbers. "Obviously, this time around, I want to have good numbers, but the main thing is keeping the team in the ballgames and developing as a pitcher to make it to the big leagues.

"I'm looking at it as a new slate. Everything in the past is behind you, so now you focus on what you worked on (in Arizona) and get back on track."

Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom expects Arnett to return to the mound within "the next couple of days."

"It's a new and improved Eric Arnett coming to town," Isom said.

Arnett doesn't believe the pressures of being a first-round pick had anything to do with his struggles.

"It doesn't matter what round you're drafted in, the first or the 50th, you don't want to struggle," he said. "But everyone in the Brewers organization has talked to me about that kind of stuff and they don't want to put any extra pressure on me. They know that you're going to struggle and you know you're going to struggle and I know that, but you want to do good and perform well for the people in (Appleton) and Milwaukee.

"It was frustrating early, but I think I've gotten past that and I'm ready to go on."

Arnett says he made some changes to his delivery in terms of ball location and also hiding the ball prior to the pitch.

Isom thinks some of those changes should help him.

"He worked on some mechanical things in Arizona and from what I'm hearing, they've seen some good things with him," Isom said.

"We're excited to get him on the mound, see what he's capable of doing."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers profile: Chris Dennis

Chris Dennis file

- Position: First base/DH.

- Height/weight: 6-1, 205.

- Bats/throws: Left/right.

- Hometown: Windsor, Ontario.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the 13th round (No. 401 overall) of the 2007 June Draft. ...Graduated from St. Thomas of Villanova SS (Canada) High School. … Spent all of 2008 in rookie league with the Helena Brewers, where he hit .253 in 63 games, with seven doubles, two triples, 12 home runs, 40 RBI, six stolen bases and 40 runs scored.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "Always raised a Tigers fan."

- MLB player growing up: "I was a catcher growing up and always idolized Ivan Rodriguez."

- Current MLB player: "Derek Jeter. Now that I've grown up and seen the way players carry themselves, Jeter is of the guys you look up to and you want to say definitely you want to be him. You want to idolize him and imitate what he does."

- Current Brewer: "Ryan Braun. Being a hitter, his swing is just a beautiful swing and the things he does, I kind of look up to. He does it from the right side but I try to do it from the left side as best I can."

- Sport other than baseball: "Football. I was always a football player growing up. I played hockey too, but was more of a football player."

- Food: "It would have to be a brat. Ever since I came to Wisconsin, I can't get enough of them, I'm not going to lie."

- Thing about Appleton: "Definitely the people. They're very nice and they help you out with whatever you need. That's probably what I like best about it."

- Thing about the Vancouver Olympics: "It would have had to been Team Canada (hockey, which won the gold medal). I was following them all the way and I had a couple of friends on the team."

Q&A

Q: You played in only 38 games last season because of an ankle injury. You tried to come back too soon and re-injured it. What was more difficult, the mental or physical strain?

A: "Definitely coming back too soon and re-injuring it. That kind of hurt me a little bit. It worked out both ways. I got through it. I got stronger from that, so it kind of helps out this year. You learn you just can't rush injuries. They heal over time and you come back when you're ready. You don't want to rush things because you could end up messing yourself up further."

A: "I have a couple of balls signed by (Tony) Kubek and Brooks Robinson."

Q: What was the hardest part when Hunter Morris came in and you were moved from first base to DH?

A: "Baseball is a team game. I get along with Hunter very well. We learn from each other. It's a business. All I can do is get better and prove myself every day through practice. And when I get my chance to play and, as long as my bat is in the lineup, I feel I still have something to contribute to the team and I'll do whatever they say to go out and do."

Q: How do the people from Windsor view their neighbors from across the river in Detroit?

A: "We get along pretty good. Not that many fights. They're one of us and we're one of them."

Q: What's the toughest thing about minor-league baseball?

A: "Bus rides. Got to be the bus rides and the everyday grind. Every day going on a bus and having to play the next day is definitely tough. I just listen to my iPod. Those are lifesavers."

Q: You were originally drafted by Tampa Bay but decided to wait a year and were subsequently drafted by the Brewers. How important was it to wait a year?

A: "It was good because I didn't feel I was mature enough to stand the strains of the minor leagues. Going back to school, I think I gained the maturity that was needed to come out here and perform everyday and deal with it."

Q: Any significance to No. 32?

A: "No. Just growing up I was always No. 32."

Q: Weirdest thing you've ever seen on a baseball field?

A: "Probably the rain we got (Wednesday). It was a river out here on the field. That's probably the most interesting thing I've seen. I've never seen anything like that."

Q: LeBron James essentially picked two teammates to play with. If you had your choice, which two players would you choose to be on your team?

A: "Probably it would be Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols. The way they carry themselves, both those guys, is just unbelievable."

The Tool Box

Rattlers hitting instructor Matt Erickson breaks down Chris Dennis:

- His bat: "He's got a lot of juice. He's a strong kid. At one point last year, it became kind of an all-or-nothing kind of thing. He was going to hurt you if the pitcher made a mistake. He was going to hit it hard somewhere for an extra-base hit. But if the pitchers were making quality pitches, he was a pretty easy out.

"So what we've tried to do this year is basically lengthen his swing in the strike zone and try to get him to be more selective with the pitches he can handle and the pitches that he can't handle. And try and get him to a better thought process. And, he also has the ability to drive the ball to the left-center field gap. And I think when he stays in the middle of the field — and I think he now has an understanding of that — he's a much better hitter. When he starts trying to leave the yard, pull side, is when he falls off to the wayside pretty good. He may run into one every once in a while, but he becomes a pretty easy out if he's doing that."

- His glove: "As a fielder, he's been a pleasant surprise at first base. Last year, we had him in the outfield and had some outfield issues there. Doesn't have great arm strength. But his footwork and his glove have shown up pretty good at first base. And I think that's created a little more value to him. He's definitely capable of playing first base. He's proven that with us. He has to continue to do the footwork with the throwing stuff. It's not real easy for him or natural to him at this time. But that has gotten better over the course of the year."

- His base running: "As a base runner he's fairly solid. He has some surprising speed. He's not strictly a base-to-base guy. He's capable of taking the extra base and that's another thing we've tried to encourage with him. Along with his mental approach offensively with the bat, we try to get him thinking before the pitch on the bases so he can go first to third; so he can take an extra base on a dirt ball read. That's something we try to instill in everybody but he's done a pretty nice job of that."

Chris Dennis continues to make strides at the plate for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

(Post-Crescent photo by Wm. Glasheen)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100718&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=7180554&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers players lend a helping hand with Miracle League of the Fox Valley

APPLETON — It's hard to believe a six-year-old could flash more skills on the diamond than a professional baseball player.

But I'm telling you, it's true. Meet Appleton's Theodore Van Domelen. He plays for the Twins. Weighs, oh, about 40 pounds. He was the bespectacled one wearing those John Lennon-style glasses with the hat that was a tad too big for his head Tuesday at John Wollner Fox Cities Miracle Field at Memorial Park.

You couldn't miss him. One minute he was collecting hits off Scooter Gennett of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, one of many who ended Gennett's prospects as a pitcher as he left with an ERA hovering around 90.00 after just two innings of work.

The next he was over commandeering the camera of the local newspaper photographer, helping him snap a few pictures. For good measure, he also did a little announcing and also held the hand of public address man Kirby Krueger, who apparently needed some love and support.

"Most of the time it's a guaranteed smile," said Greg Van Domelen, Theodore's dad.

The Miracle League, a baseball league for children ages 4-19 with physical and/or mental disabilities, is just that.

"While he's here, he enjoys himself," said Van Domelen of his son. "I don't know if he realizes he's playing baseball. But he realizes this is for him. And that's what I see out of all these kids. They realize that this is for them, and that's the important thing."

Tuesday's games had a little additional spice, as four members of the Timber Rattlers, along with the Appleton Post 38 Legion team, joined in to assist the teams.

"I think it's a huge bonus," Lisa Robbins, who with her husband Mark founded the league and serve at its managing directors, said of the participation from the local baseball community. "It's really exciting for them to have, especially the community of baseball, appreciate what we're doing and appreciate what the kids are doing and come out here and support them.

"For them to see, to them superstars, come out here and take the time to play ball with them and acknowledge them, for sure it thrills their families."

Now every single Timber Rattler will tell you how much they value their days off. But hours before they had to rise at 4:30 a.m. to embark on a nine-game road trip, they took the time to make some young children's day better.

"I think there should be more places like this. I'm very fortunate, I think we're all very fortunate to be out here and spend some time with the kids," said Gennett, who was joined by teammates D'Vontrey Richardson, Erik Miller and Caleb Thielbar. "Just have a good time, really. And on a day off, you can't ask for much better."

And give Gennett and his teammates this. They threw any inhibitions they may have had out the door and acted, well, like kids.

"That's the great thing," said Robbins. "It helps the kids feel comfortable. They feel OK going up to them and interacting with them and engaging them. It's a great thing. It makes me very proud."

One Dodgers player who left with a huge smile was Alex Becher of Hortonville, the back of his jersey filled with autographs from the guests of honor.

"I know for Alex, at first his mom wasn't sure about letting him play," said his aunt Amy Lecker, who also serves as Alex's buddy on the team. "And I told them I want to be Alex's buddy, I want to do this for him. Because when he's home, his brothers and sisters are outside all the time playing and stuff, and he doesn't get to participate in an organization.

"And now, they say every week he is so excited he talks about it all week until the day they play. For them it really builds self-confidence."

As Alex headed out he turned, smiled and waved to Amy. The game ended in a 24-24 tie. He had a shirt full of Timber Rattlers signatures. And he was headed out for ice cream.

That's a guaranteed smile if there ever was one.

Post-Crescent photos by Dan Powers

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' D'Vontrey Richardson has some fun with Theodore Van Domelen, 6, of Appleton during a Miracle League of the Fox Valley baseball game against the Dodgers Tuesday, July 20, 2010, at John Wollner Fox Cities Miracle Field at Appleton Memorial Park in Appleton, Wisconsin.

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20100721&Category=APC0205&ArtNo=7210801&Ref=PH&Item=9&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

Dodgers team member Nicholas Smithback, 13, of Appleton enjoys his baseball game with D'Vontrey Richardson .

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100721&Category=APC02&ArtNo=7210661&Ref=AR&Profile=1009&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

The Timber Rattlers' Erik Miller points out a play to the Dodgers' John Klitzke, 8, of Appleton

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20100721&Category=APC0205&ArtNo=7210801&Ref=PH&Item=13&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

Erik Miller and the Twins' Nicholas Hooyman, 10, of Kaukauna are ready to head to second base

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20100721&Category=APC0205&ArtNo=7210801&Ref=PH&Item=14&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

More photos of the kids

Archived