Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

bnedaddy
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Dykstra starting to make impact in second go-round with the Timber Rattlers

By Brett Christopherson, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — It was a year ago when a struggling Cutter Dykstra found himself on the transaction list as he was being transferred from the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to extended spring training and an eventual spot in rookie ball.

But that's yesterday's news, isn't it kid?

"I'm feeling great," Dykstra said, even after suffering through a doubleheader sweep against the Beloit Snappers on Friday at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. "Just confidence. I feel a lot more confident at the plate. Just feeling good."

And looking good. Really good, actually.

Dykstra followed a two-hit game in a 5-3 loss in the opener by reaching safely in all four trips to the plate in a 2-1, 10-inning setback in the nightcap, sandwiching a fourth-inning leadoff single with three walks.

The effort raised his batting average to .346 as he continues to make it his "mission" to re-establish himself as a prospect. He also scored two of the Rattlers' four total runs and added three steals while being used in the designated hitter role in the two games.

Each was scheduled to be played through seven innings.

"I've worked hard, and I'm feeling good," said the 20-year-old Dykstra, drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round of the 2008 draft. "I want to keep playing, I want to keep getting in the box, especially with the way I'm feeling now. The confidence is great. I'm just competing."

Dykstra opened this season at extended spring training but rejoined Wisconsin on May 3 when third baseman Joey Paciorek landed on the disabled list with an injured hand.

So far, the results have been promising with Dykstra – he hit .212 with a homer and seven RBI in 29 games last season the Rattlers – now forcing the Wisconsin coaching staff to find him his at-bats.

"He looks healthier to me," Rattlers hitting coach and Appleton native Matt Erickson said. "Physically, his lower half looks like it's moving a lot better than it did last season. And then offensively at the plate, so far he's been able to slow himself down pretty good to where he's getting into good hitting position, on time, recognizing pitches early and swinging at good pitches.

"And if you can do that, you give yourself a chance. … Last year, he was off his legs a lot. He didn't trust his hands. He was committing real early before he recognized pitches. This year, he looks a lot more slowed down, and his base is a lot better. He's got good backside turn, so he's using his lower half, which is allowing him to get his hands through the zone pretty quick."

Although Dykstra has only appeared in nine games with the Rattlers, he's done enough at the plate to perhaps warrant another position change so he can get more time on the field, too.

With Scooter Gennett seemingly entrenched at the second base spot, Dykstra has been taking grounders at third despite never having played the position in the past.

He opened last season as an outfielder before being moved to second base as part of his transfer.

"I'm just going to do what they tell me," said Dykstra, who nearly scored the game-winner on Michael Marseco's single up the middle in the bottom of the ninth in the nightcap but instead was nabbed on a close play at the plate. "Just however I can get in the lineup everyday. Wherever they need me, I'll be able to play."

Rattlers manager Jeff Isom said Dykstra is definitely needed.

"If you continue to hit, we're going to find a way to get you in that lineup," he said. "He's a different guy this year. It's no comparison to the player we saw last year. This guy came I here, and he continues to be a spark for us in the offensive side and base running side. It's a great addition to our lineup."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_545339.jpg

Cameron will turn 19 years old a week from today, May 23rd.Link while active, text follows:

Timber Rattlers profile: catcher Cameron Garfield

Compiled by Post-Crescent staff writer Brett Christopherson

Cameron Garfield file

- Position: Catcher.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Height, weight: 6-1, 195.

- Residence: Murrieta, Calif.

- Glove: Rawlings Pro Preferred, 33-inch mitt.

- Bat: Rawlings 113 pro model, 34½ inches, 32½ ounces.

- Notes: Selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round of the 2009 June draft. ... Hit .248 with 11 doubles, four homers and 21 RBI in 59 games last season at rookie level Helena (Mont.). ... Played on the U18 Team USA club that won a silver medal in the 2008 International Baseball Federation world summer championships.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: Los Angeles Angels.

- MLB player(s) growing up: Johnny Bench and Ivan Rodriguez.

- MLB player now: Albert Pujols. "Just the plain fact he can hit anything."

- Brewers player: Prince Fielder.

- Sport other than baseball: Football.

- Food: Anything Italian. "I'd have to go with pasta. If I were to die tomorrow, a nice plate of pasta would do me well."

- Way to relax: "Go to the beach, eat and hang out with friends and family."

Q&A

Q: You like football. College or NFL?

A: I'm an NFL guy. San Diego Chargers. I'm a diehard.

Q: But you're in Packers country. Any chance of getting you to wear some green and gold this summer?

A: Let's just say I'll be a San Diego Chargers fan my whole life. If I ever came across some (Packers) tickets, I'll be wearing powder blue there.

Q: The media guide says you were born in Frankfurt, Germany. True?

A: Yeah, my dad was stationed (in the Army) out there. He met my mom, and my sister was born there — she's four years older than I am. I was only born there, stayed there for six months, moved to San Diego and then moved a little north in southern California to Murrieta.

Q: You had just turned 18 when the Brewers drafted you. Would you say the adjustment to pro ball was made more difficult given your young age?

A: Playing the game every day is definitely a big step, and it takes a toll on the body. I signed early last year and went to Helena and played a short season there the whole season. And that was actually good for just getting used to the physical demands. So coming into this year, I knew how to get in shape and take the toll better. The mental part is a different story. Learning the difficulties of having to bat every day and going 0-for-four (one game) and then three-for-four (the next). That's going to be a tough situation to handle.

Q: Was it difficult to gain the trust and respect from your pitchers, considering how young you are?

A: You kind of have to block out the age factor. You have to show them that even though you're 18, you're going to get in their faces if they need motivation. You can't play the age factor in that. You have to buckle down and say, 'Hey, listen up. You need to make this pitch and do it.' When we step on the field, age isn't a factor. We're all baseball players.

Q: So you were never afraid or tentative?

A: Even if you are afraid, you can't show it. You have to keep that inside and just grind.

Q: How did you get into catching?

A: My dad was a catcher growing up. When I was little, I was like everyone else. I played shortstop, pitcher, outfield, second base, everything. But I started catching when I was about 8 years old and someone was sick when I was in Pony ball. I said, 'Hey, I'll put the gear on. Why not? I play every other position.' And ever since then, I kind of had a knack for it and stuck with it.

Q: What is the toughest aspect of catching?

A: Even though (the catcher's equipment) is called the tools of ignorance, it's actually learning your pitchers, learning how to take them through the game. Everyone's different. Like (Nick) Bucci (Thursday) night, you kind of have to slow him down because he's so going after it. And then you have some other people who like to take their time and get into a rhythm and you have to speed them up. So it's learning your pitchers, knowing what they can throw; what they're throwing that day.

Q: What's tops on the checklist as you strive to improve defensively?

A: With (Brewers) catching coordinator Charlie Greene, it's receiving first, blocking and throwing guys out last. But it's the whole package. You have to do all of that well. You have to know your pitchers. You have to make the game go by quick. You have to make them throw strikes. I'd say I have to work pretty much on everything. I have a lot to learn, and I'm willing to put forth the effort.

Q: And offensively?

A: I'd say cut the strikeouts in half. Putting the ball in play is always better because there's room for error on the (defensive) side. Once you strike out, you can't really do too much. Work the walks and just have smarter at-bats, quality at-bats. If someone's on first base with zero outs and you're not going to bunt, you better hit something on the right side to get him over or hit something hard.

Q: You don't wear knee savers. Why?

A: I wore them one year when I was little, and I kind of thought they were — I don't want to say for sissies, but it's definitely not my style. You don't see a lot of the old school guys wearing them, so I'm not about to do that.

Q: What did you think of Joe Mauer's big contract? That could be you some day.

A: (Chuckling) I don't know. Maybe I should start wearing some knee savers. Maybe I'll start hitting like him. … He hits. He takes control of his pitchers. And I think he has a couple of Gold Gloves in his arsenal. He's a great role model and does things the right way. … He'll go down as one of the greatest hitting catchers there was.

Q: The Brewers have a couple of catching prospects in the upper-minor-league levels in Jonathan Lucroy and Angel Salome. Do you still see yourself rising quickly through the ranks?

A: I definitely do. Lucroy and Salome are great catchers, but I'm just going to put my work in and work as hard as I can. That's extra motivation for me right there. I'm going to do as much as I can to help my pitchers, help my teammates win ballgames.

The Tool Box

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Cameron Garfield's skills:

- Hitting for average: The major league average for a catcher is .259, and I see him being able to hit for higher than that. So I would say in the future, when he figures out the hitting and gets older, he's going to be able to hit higher than .259. He'll be about a .270, .280 guy. … He's got a balanced swing, and he can get that barrel in the zone and stay in the zone for a long time, which enables him a chance to hit.

- Hitting for power: Right now, I see him as a gap-to-gap type hitter. Power is usually the last thing that develops. But he's got great core strength. He's got solid legs, a good foundation. As a catcher, 10 home runs is the major league average. I see him probably hitting 15 to 20 home runs and being an offensive-type catcher in the major leagues.

- Running speed: He's below average in running, and that's OK at that position. You're not looking for a blazing catcher. And if you are a blazing catcher, like a Craig Biggio, they put you at second because they don't want to ruin your legs.

- Arm strength: It's a work in progress. I know, out of high school, he was doing a different throwing technique and it seemed to work for him. He had a major league average arm in high school, and that's 16, 17 years old when they had him graded. Now, he's changed some things with his footwork. It's not as good as what our scouts have seen in the past. It's below average right now. But I think once he works everything out and figures things out, he's going to have a major league average arm.

- Fielding: He moves around well and does a great job with receiving. We're looking for guys that can catch the low pitch, stay below it and drop the glove out of the zone. He does a good job. He'll stick that low pitch with not a whole lot of glove moving, which gives the umpire a great look behind him.

- Final thoughts: The sky's the limit. He's being challenged right now, and he's doing a good job with what he's got. The focus with him is he wants to be a major league player, and he realizes what it takes to get there. He does whatever it takes for him to be put in a position where he can succeed. Just a heads-up guy. He understands the game, and he does a great job with pitch selection and pitch calling. He's 18 years old and he's out there leading our pitching staff, and I think he's doing a pretty good job thus far.

"With (Brewers) catching coordinator Charlie Greene, it's receiving first, blocking and throwing guys out last. "

"He had a major league average arm in high school, and that's 16, 17 years old when they had him graded. Now, he's changed some things with his footwork. It's not as good as what our scouts have seen in the past. It's below average right now."

This is interesting, because as I recall wasn't he 'called out' by a poster who attended the T-rats game. I'm not trying to single out the poster, but if throwing is a work in progress and the last of the things he works on, that may explain why the first hand report was anything but glowing. Yet another reason it is hard to gauge minor league C's based on SB/CS%. You have to depend on the pitchers, coaches and scouts to relay whether they will stick behind the dish or not.

Chris just mentioned this promotion the T-Rats are running on the broadcast. I voted for Scooter vs the Snowmam.

2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Fans' Choice Bobblehead

Help the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pick who should be immortalized

as a bobblehead. The winning selection will be given away on Thursday,

September 2nd at Time Warner Cable Field. Voting will run through the

end of the Midwest League All Star Break.

Candidates:

Eric Arnett - P - 2010

The Brewers 1st round draft pick in 2009 out of Indiana, Arnett is currently a member of the Timber Rattlers.

Adam Jones - SS - 2004

Seattle's top pick in 2003, Jones hit .267 with 23 doubles, 7 triples,

11 home runs, and 72 RBI for the Timber Rattlers in 2004. The Baltimore

Orioles' center fielder was named an American League All Star for the

first time in 2009.

Cameron Garfield - C - 2010

A second round selection by the Brewers in 2009, Garfield is the starting catcher for the Timber Rattlers.

Charlie Capper

The Timber Rattlers main scoreboard operator since Fox Cities Stadium

opened in 1995, Charlie started running the scoreboard for Foxes games

in 1987 at Goodland Field. Combined, he has work well over 1,000 games

for the Foxes and Timber Rattlers. The Press Box at Time Warner Cable

Field was named in honor of Charlie in 2008.

Kyle Heckathorn - P - 2010

A supplemental first round choice by Milwaukee in 2009 out of Kennesaw

State, Heckathorn is a current member of the Timber Rattlers.

Felix Hernandez - P - 2003

Hernandez was just 17 years old when he made his Timber Rattlers debut

near the end of the 2003 season. King Felix reached the Majors by age

19 and was an All Star at 23.

Scooter vs. the Snowman

After a snow storm dumped 5 inches of snow on Time Warner Cable Field

on Opening Day 2010, the Timber Rattlers players made a snowman in the

outfield. After the players had their fun dressing it up, Scooter

Gennett took a swing and destroyed the head of the snowman In an

incident made famous by a

Jake Odorizzi - P - 2010

The current Rattlers pitcher was a supplemental 1st round draft pick by the Brewers in 2008.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Gomez plays pain free in five-inning stint with Rattlers

He mixes rehab with giving advice to younger players

By Brett Christopherson, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Milwaukee Brewers centerfielder Carlos Gomez accomplished what he set out to do during Wednesday's rehab start with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

He played five innings of pain-free baseball. And he took advantage of some teachable moments by sharing some tips with his Rattlers counterpart.

"When I played in rookie (ball) in Port St. Lucie (Fla.), Cliff Floyd, Jose Reyes and Mike Cameron (of the Mets), they teach me," Gomez recalled of his own minor league experiences working with major leaguers during rehab stints. "I learned a lot, and that's why when you're in rehab in the minor leagues, you have to teach how the big leagues play and teach how to prepare yourself for the game."

The 24-year-old Gomez played five innings of Wednesday's 11-7 Midwest League setback to the Peoria Chiefs at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, collecting a hit in three at-bats, stealing a base and looking smooth in center field as he continues to work towards his return from a strained left rotator cuff and strained left knee.

He's scheduled to play the full nine innings of today's series-finale against the Chiefs and expects to rejoin the Brewers on Friday at Minnesota, barring any setbacks.

Afterward, he said he felt "amazing" and is eager to help his big league teammates stop a skid that has Milwaukee wallowing near the bottom of the division standings.

"It's hard (being on the disabled list)," said Gomez, acquired by the Brewers in an offseason trade with the Twins and hitting .276 with a pair of homers and six RBI in 20 games this season. "When you hurt and you see your team doing really bad and you can't do nothing about it, it's frustrating. I'm going to the bed, and I can't sleep — I think about it. I try to recover myself really quick, and get over there and try to do my job and try to help win the game."

In the meantime, Gomez made it his job to get into the ear of Rattlers centerfielder D'Vontrey Richardson, the Brewers' fifth-round draft choice in 2009 and rated by Baseball America as the club's 18th-best minor league prospect and the best athlete in the system.

Richardson, the starter in left field on Wednesday, said Gomez told him to "clear your mind and see the ball, hit the ball" while at the plate and "slow down and learn how to control myself" as a way to cut down on his sometimes wild throws in the field.

He also took note of how Gomez reacted to a third-inning single up the middle with a speedy runner on second and another runner on first.

Rather than trying to nab the runner with a throw to the plate, Gomez conceded the run and threw to the cutoff to keep the two Peoria runners at first and second.

"I think I would have come in full speed and tried to throw it (to the plate)," admitted the 21-year-old Richardson, who has six outfield assists and is hitting .229 with two homers and 15 RBI in his first pro season. "But when he didn't throw it, I had to look and see who the runner was. You've just got to know who the runner is, and he knew where to go with it."

Rattlers manager Jeff Isom said actions can sometimes carry more weight than words when it comes to teaching baseball at the lower minor league levels.

"It's seeing what they should be doing instead of what we have been doing," he said. … "They get tired of hearing it from me, so it's good to have somebody like that to come through here and reiterate the things we're talking about."

It's, um, jarring to see Carlos Gomez cast in the role of wisdom-dispensing veteran, and I kind of cringe at the idea of anyone taking hitting advice from him. Fielding, though--he and Richardson can talk into the wee hours about fielding if they want.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: Scooter Gennett, middle infielder

Compiled by Post-Crescent staff writer Brett Christopherson

Scooter Gennett file

- Position: Second base/shortstop.

- Bats/throws: Left/right.

- Height, weight: 5-9, 165.

- Residence: Sarasota, Fla.

- Glove: Rawlings, Pro Preferred.

- Bat: Sam Bat, 34 inches, 32 ounces.

- Notes: Selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 16th round of the 2009 June draft. ... Played in the 2008 Aflac All-American Baseball Classic at Dodger Stadium. ... Committed to play baseball at Florida State before signing with the Brewers.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: Cincinnati Reds.

- MLB player growing up: Barry Larkin.

- MLB player now: Chase Utley.

- Sport other than baseball: Football. "I played when I was little up in Ohio, and I had one year where I made the all-star team. But then my mom wouldn't let me play anymore because every time I got tackled, she started crying."

- Food: Beef tips and noodles.

- Thing about Appleton: "Definitely the fans. You don't see fans like this at a Low-A minor league baseball game. It's amazing."

- Way to relax: Movies. "I have a lot of movies, like 200 DVDs."

- Baseball movie(s): "The Sandlot" and "The Natural."

Q&A

Q: Your real name is Ryan. So how did you end up being called Scooter?

A: It actually came from the (TV show) "Muppet Babies." My favorite character was Scooter. I was about 5, and I was in the car. My mom told me to put on my seat belt, and I'd click it off. I was just being defiant, and she took me to the police station. She had no idea about Scooter — didn't watch "Muppet Babies." The cop asked me what my name was, and I said Scooter Gennett. And my mom was kind of taken back. And they were like, 'No, what's your real name?' And I said Scooter Gennett. And since that day, I've never answered to Ryan. I guess I was trying to create an alias at a young age.

Q: You're originally from Cincinnati but later moved to Florida because of baseball, true?

A: My dad was a scout for the Astros when I was wee little. He had the Ohio area, and he really saw the importance of playing baseball year-round and how hard it was to come out of a northern state like that. He definitely embedded baseball into me. When I was about 10 (we moved). He saw that I had it in my heart and was going to work hard.

Q: This is your first professional season at any level, yet you're among the leading hitters in the Midwest League. What's the secret?

A: Sticking with the routine. Hitting off the tee early. Getting to the park early. Maintaining your sleep, which has been a big adjustment for me. When you're a No. 1 prospect in an organization, for some guys, that might be a lot of pressure. And for me, not being on any list like that, I have no pressure and I can just go out there and play. When you're not on lists, you have nothing to lose.

Q: At this point, would you grade yourself high?

A: I think I've gotten off to a good start, being my first year and all. I'm definitely not satisfied. Three-whatever I'm hitting is good and all, but I can definitely get better. Pretty much every time I get out, I think I'm getting myself out and giving up at-bats. And a long season like this, you can't afford to give up any at-bats. There's always room for improvement.

Q: You seem to have found a home at second after opening the season at shortstop. Has it been a matter of just feeling more comfortable at second?

A: I've always played both positions. But (the coaches) brought me into the office and were talking to me and saying how, for my well-being and my career, I could probably get to the big leagues faster as a second baseman. It has been an adjustment. It's more of a thinking position. You've got more time, and you've just got to stay focused, where a shortstop is kind of a freestyle position.

Q: When you see Rickie Weeks and Alcides Escobar entrenched in the middle infield for the Brewers, can it be unnerving as you contemplate where you fit in the organization's plans?

A: If you start worrying about the guys ahead of you, even the guys in High-A, Double-A or Triple-A, then you're really not going to help yourself out at all. You've just got to do your thing. When it's your time, it's your time. You've got to leave it in the hands of the front office and trust you're going to get there.

Q: Do you pay attention to what's going on with the big league club?

A: We catch a few games. When your big-league team is not doing too well, we're not too worried about it. We're trying to work hard so maybe a few of us can get up there and help the team out. But I think they'll be all right. They're getting bad breaks.

Q: What's your focus as you look to improve?

A: I'd have to say, with most first-year guys, it's consistency. Getting good at-bats. Not swinging at a first pitch changeup low and getting yourself out.

Q: What's the key in making that climb to the bigs?

A: I think it's just routine. They really preach that. When you're struggling, you can't come off your routine because that's what got you to this point. It's just getting more consistent, not giving up at-bats, being able to consistently put the bat on the ball, make adjustments. Now, we're trying to make adjustments mid-game. Big leaguers make adjustments after every pitch. When we can start making those transitions, I think that will be the time to get called up.

Q: You were set to play college ball at Florida State. Was it a tough decision to sign with the Crew?

A: Yeah. That facility and that tradition is top-notch. It was definitely a serious commitment. With how far I dropped in the draft and whatnot, it definitely made the decision a lot harder. But I saw the importance of getting into pro ball early at a young age. My dream was to play in the big leagues, not start at a D-I college, even though that would be nice dream for some other kids. But that wasn't the ultimate goal.

Q: Finally, you were ejected from a game earlier in the year when you drew a line in the dirt with your bat to let the home plate ump know how far off the edge you thought the pitch was on a called third strike. Any regrets?

A: I wish I could take it back. What I've learned about umpires is we're going to be seeing these guys possibly throughout our whole career, not just here. And it's definitely not good to get on their bad side. You let them know that they missed a call, but you don't want to show them up. Because later in the year, later in your career, you could see them again and the same thing might happen. I've learned from it.

The tool box

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Scooter Gennett's skills:

- Hitting for average: In my eyes, he's going to be above average in hitting. He's going to hit for a high average. He has a knack for putting the barrel of the bat on the ball, no matter if it's inside, outside, breaking pitches. He's always in a good hitting position. His hands are always back — even if he gets out front, his hands are in a good hitting position.

- Hitting for power: He'll surprise you. Is he going to be a 30-home run guy? Probably not. Does he have a chance to be a 15 (-home run guy)? Maybe. Time will tell on that, but he does a lot of great things with his swing to get him in position to hit, and hit with power.

- Running speed: Right now, we've got an average to maybe slightly below average (runner). But I think as he continues to work and get stronger, that will improve and he could be an average to maybe a slightly above average baserunner.

- Arm strength: He's got a very good arm. He's got to work on some throwing technique and mechanics, but he can get it over there to first base. He shows a strong arm.

- Fielding: He profiles as a prototypical second baseman now. … Defensively, from the beginning of the season until now, he has improved steadily. Glove work, getting acclimated to the second base position — he's showing a lot of good things. I see him as being an average major league second baseman, defensively.

- Final thoughts: He's a confident kid — very confident in his ability on the offensive side. He's going to be a big leaguer at some point. An exciting, young player in the Brewers minor league system.

Scooter Gennett has settled in at second base for the Timber Rattlers. (Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100523&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=5230564&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

- Sport other than baseball: Football. "I played when I was little up

in Ohio, and I had one year where I made the all-star team. But then my

mom wouldn't let me play anymore because every time I got tackled, she

started crying."

Moms...*sigh*

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Kind of interesting they told him they thought he'd make it to the majors faster as a second basemen. I would have thought with all of the prospects about him playing second base and really no good shortstop prospects, he'd be better served to play short.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers stay motivated with walk-up introductory songs by favorite artists

Cory Jennerjohn, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE — You know the game has changed when grown men with tall beers in hand stand up and dance to Miley Cyrus' "Party In the USA."

That would be Cutter Dykstra's new walk-up song.

"I laughed at him and thought you're kidding," said Timber Rattlers production manager Cameron Wengrzyn, when Dykstra first told him about his music switch.

"You're making a joke out of this walk-up situation. And he looked at me straight in the eye and he said, 'No, I'm going to get some serious hits off this song.' "

Which has happened, even though his pop who is adorned with the nickname 'Nails', probably doesn't have that song anywhere near his iPod.

"You think a manly man wouldn't pick that song but he does that as a joke," said Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook. "I mean, I think it's funny."

"He's even dressing like her nowadays to the ballpark," hitting coach Matt Erickson joked.

Perhaps not as humorous as Erickson's walk-up song with the Kane County Cougars. None other than Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack."

"It was not picked," Erickson quickly admitted.

You go even further back and the game gets quieter and quieter. Hook came up through the minors in the late 1980s and early '90s when the public address announcer said the player's name and everybody clapped and that was about it.

"Minor league baseball was just getting its groove on as far as what they're doing now," he said. "Now, it's a production. Back then, it's peanut butter and jelly and people drinking beer in the stands."

But every music choice isn't done as a motivational tool.

"Last year they had a couple goofy ones," said Wengrzyn, who worked for the Bowling Green Hot Rods last year. "There was a player that walked up to Spongebob Squarepants' theme song every game."

Which is quite a difference from the assortment of rap that's blared on the Community speakers at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"That's the edited version," said Scooter Gennett, about his walk up song, "Play Ball," by Soulja Boy. "But I'm doing good so I'm not going to change it."

The big leagues have been doing walk up songs for a while and guys like Trevor Hoffman have made a career out of watching opponents' neck hair stand at attention whenever AC-DC's "Hells Bells" was blasted to announce his arrival.

"I think there's an intimidation factor, and he talked about it in spring training how the other team hears that song and that 'Oh, feeling here comes Trevor,' " said Hook.

I don't think Dykstra is exactly injecting fear in anyone even though he's justifying the move by saying that Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and NewYork Yankees first baseman Nick Johnson had the song, that peaked at No. 2 in the Billboard Hot 100, as their walk-up.

But he doesn't care.

"I'm going to stick with this one for as long as I keep hitting," said Dykstra, who is batting .291. "It might last my whole career, who knows."

When the subject was broached to Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom, he produced a deep chuckle that said he didn't really care what was played when his players strolled to the plate or took the mound.

"Whatever it takes to get them ready," Isom said. "If they think that's going to get them ready because they've got Miley Cyrus playing, then OK, so be it."

Ever since Dykstra gave Wengrzyn the go ahead to play that song, he has transformed the stadium into Anduzzi's at midnight.

"We were just like, this guy needs to keep this song," Wengrzyn said. "It just changed everything for him, because he had been struggling before a little bit."

Apparently, a baseball career can change in the span of 10 seconds — as long as you have the right song.

Timber Rattlers introductory songs

Batters

Scooter Gennett – "Play Ball" by Soulja Boy
D'Vontrey Richardson – "Go Hard" by Young Jeezy
Pete Fatse – "Made You Look" by NAS
Cameron Garfield – "Someday" by Flypside
Austin Stockfisch – "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGS
Chris Dennis – "Ride With Me" by TI
Michael Marseco – "I'm a Country Boy" by Alan Jackson
Khris Davis – "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It" by Ice Cube
Franklin Romero – "I Know You Want Me" by Pitbull
Cutter Dykstra – "Party In The USA" by Miley Cyrus
Eric Miller – "Alive" by P.O.D.
Kyle Dhanani – "Reminder" by Jay-Z

Pitchers

Damon Krestalude – "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC
Maverick Lasker – "Papercut" by Linkin Park
Eric Arnett – "Whistlin' Dixie" by Randy Houser
Jake Odorizzi – "My Time" by Fabolous
Efrain Nieves – "Prueba de Sonido" by Don Omar
Del Howell – Saw Theme
Caleb Thielbar – "Cochise" by Audioslave
Kyle Heckathorn – "(Ohh-Ahh) My Life Be Like" by Gritz

Cutter Dykstra (left), being congratulated by Rattlers teammate Scooter Gennett after scoring against the Burlington Bees at Fox Cities Stadium on Sunday, is getting a lot of mileage when Miley Cyrus belts out "Party in the USA," as he walks up to the plate. (Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100524&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=5240490&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Some of the boys were singing this song in the locker room one day after practice and I was shocked. Also that song, "You belong with me" by whomever... she's a country singer but her name is escaping me that momemt... things certainly have changed. In fact I was goofing around with the boys and turned off the radio because a section of the room was singing along with her and when they turned it back on every player on that side of locker room was singing at the top of their lungs just to spite me, fun stuff.

Every locker room I was ever in as a player had various incarnations of Rock, Metal, and Hip Hop, the music choices have definitely changed with the times.

- Plato

- Plato

Some of the boys were singing this song in the locker room one day after practice and I was shocked. Also that song, "You belong with me" by whomever... she's a country singer but her name is escaping me that momemt... things certainly have changed. In fact I was goofing around with the boys and turned off the radio because a section of the room was singing along with her and when they turned it back on every player on that side of locker room was singing at the top of their lungs just to spite me, fun stuff.

Every locker room I was ever in as a player had various incarnations of Rock, Metal, and Hip Hop, the music choices have definitely changed with the times.

TheCrew07, it's Taylor Swift.

Gotta agree though. In the AFL we had lots of that alt rock that's now mainstream rock/pop (since plain old Rock hasn't existed in 10+years), but also lots of pop country. Since most American ballplayers are country bumpkins, there's lots of country.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Rattlers embark on a four-city road trip today, and the staff has mapped out the pitching assignments.

Normally these would be more important for fans wondering who they are going to see during a homestand, but this is a good reference, and we'll place it within the 2010 Rattlers thread here for your review.

Rattler Radio Blog:

A note about the pitching rotation

Well, that made me feel great......not. Prove him wrong T-Rats! Especially Cutter.

I don't really care what Arnett does this year numbers-wise. Stay healthy, show consistent velocity, and work hard. That's all I ask. He seems to be doing that.

No one will jump on the Gennett bandwagon. There were many who were very late to the Pedroia bandwagon as well.

It's too bad Garfield didn't play last night, I would have been interested to hear what the scouts had to say about him.

- Plato

- Plato

Arnett pitches one of his best games and receives poor reviews from the scouts. Shame.

I had hope for Dykstra. Very disappointing to hear Goldstein's comments.

Apparently everyone but Milwaukee Brewer fans know Lawrie is a horrible 2nd baseman. Might as well move him to 1st now.

Pretty much the expected conclusion on Richardson. Talent - but a long ways to go.

That said, Will Carrol from Baseball Prospectus was on 1250 AM this morning and was discussing the Brewers pitching options. He mentioned that Arnett could be pitching for the Brewers by the end of the year. So, at this point, I'm taking Baseball Prospectus with a grain of salt.

That said, Will Carrol from Baseball Prospectus was on 1250 AM this morning and was discussing the Brewers pitching options. He mentioned that Arnett could be pitching for the Brewers by the end of the year. So, at this point, I'm taking Baseball Prospectus with a grain of salt.
Will Carroll is kind of an acknowledged hack, and anyway talent evaluation of any form--stats or scouting--isn't his bailiwick. The fact that he has a stupid, baseless opinion isn't an indictment of the colleagues of his whose specialties actually qualify them to offer opinions about that sort of thing.

Verified Member
I'm not sure I would call Will Carroll a hack, but he seems like a "poser" to me. Most people think he has qualified medical opinions. I think Kevin Goldstein is way overrated though. I'd put more stock in your opinion than his. He's got some videos on Youtube for people who want to get more of an idea of who he is.
Formerly AKA Pete

Archived