Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

bnedaddy

"Have they announced what position he might play? Looks like he is has a 1B glove... "

I attended the T-Rats Fan Fest yesterday, and was wondering this also. Isom said he would be playing first and 'filling in' in the outfield.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's makes sense given the situation with Fielder and we do have pretty decent OF depth all of a sudden, but then what do you do with Halton? Apparently the organization thought the way Brantley was handled by DHing and playing 1B just so he could get ABs when he was really an OF was solid logic? I would agree that Dennis is more of a prospect in my mind, but Halton did exactly what college players are supposed to do in Helena, he should have his own everyday position other than DH.

I say "BAH!" to putting multiple prospects at a single position on the same team.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Timber Rattlers' Young Guns

John Gillespie/WBAY.com

(The link includes a video report of this story.)

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers open their season Thursday night at Fox Cities Stadium with seven of the Brewers' top 30 prospects. Six of those seven are pitchers.

The Brewers' emphasis on bolstering their farm system's pitching is clearly being seen at the Single A level. First-round draft pick Eric Arnett, along with two former supplemental first-rounders, will pitch for the Rattlers this season.

"They're trying to build up their pitching, and it starts in the minor leagues," Rattlers manager Jeff Isom said, "and this is the first step in trying to move up in the big leagues."

Headlining the group is last year's top draft pick, the right-handed pitching Arnett. The former Indiana Hoosier is the Brewers' number-four prospect.

"It's a good feeling knowing how much emphasis they put on pitching," Arnett said. "We're coming up as a team, and hopefully we can help them out in the future."

The pitching prospects will see up-close what it takes to be a major league pitcher on Friday when Brewers starter Jeff Suppan make a rehab start here at Fox Cities Stadium.

"I was with the big league team in the spring, and I couldn't believe I was sitting next to Trevor Hoffmann [sic]. It'll be great to learn from him," Arnett said.

Joining Arnett on the Rattlers pitching staff are two supplemental first-rounders, Kyle Heckathorn from last year's draft and Jake Odorizzi from the previous year.

The three hope this is the first step in a journey that will eventually lead to Miller Park.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Check out this blog post from Brett Christopherson at the Post-Crescent -- insights from Michael Marseco into last year's and this year's team chemistry, note the contrast. Interesting...

Normally we'll "link" to non-game-story blog posts (we know bloggers like to track those "hits"). The main reason we copy-and-paste (as well as link to) newspaper feature stories is not only for your convenience, but because those links, particularly for the Huntsville Times, for instance, often only remain "active" for a short time.

For some reason I just kept thinking about Lawrie when Marseco was talking about the "individualism" in last years club.
I was doing the same thing. Glad that this year's team has better chemistry. Worried about what the implications are for some of the guys on last year's team.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Garfield gets good look behind plate for Timber Rattlers

By Jim Oskola, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Milwaukee might have journeyman Gregg Zaun and former San Diego Padres prospect George Kottaras as the catchers on their roster, but one could guess that they are just holding down the fort until the Brewers catching prospects arrive on the scene.

While Angel Salome and Jonathan Lucroy are fine-tuning their skills in Nashville and Huntsville, respectively, the Brewers have another prospect behind the plate for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

Cameron Garfield, who will turn 19 on May 23, is one whose name brings a smile to the face of Rattlers manager Jeff Isom.

"He handles the pitching staff very well," Isom said. "He is very mature back there. He does a great job blocking. Defensively, he's solid.

Obviously, you see he's hitting in the four hole, so he's got some potential at the bat as well. He's an exciting young player for the Brewers organization."

Garfield, who worked with most of the pitchers on the Rattlers staff in Helena in the Pioneer League in 2009, is quick to praise the pitchers for the work they did in spring training.

"They developed a lot of strike zone discipline and pounding the strike zone," he said. "They're pitching a lot better now. They did a lot of work with pitching coach Lee Tunnell. They're looking great right now."

Handling the pitching staff is just part of Garfield's job.

He also has to work with pitching coach Chris Hook and the staff in developing a game plan on how to pitch to opposing hitters.

"There is no book on the teams right now," Garfield said. "The little info that we do know, we go over with the pitching staff. We go in before every season and we get some rundowns on people who played here last year and what little we know of them. We see if people faced them in college or high school.

"As the games go on, the first time through the order, we kind of have an idea of what we are going to do with the batter."

One challenge facing Garfield is handling the rigors of a 140-plus game schedule that doesn't include the spring training games and playoffs.

"It's a lot of hard work," Garfield said. "I've never played a 140-game season. It's going to be a new thing. Just looking at some of the older guys at spring training, getting a little bit of information on how they prepare and how they go 140 games catching. Your legs get tired. You've got to get in the hot bath and the cold tub. You've got to do a lot of stretching and massage it out."

Isom said that's the challenge and rigors of being an everyday catcher.

"You're going to have to be out there and catch the majority of the games," Isom said. "You've got to be out on the field to learn and there's a lot of lessons that can be learned in game situations. We want him out there as much as possible."

Most posters on the MLB side are going to assume that Peterson is fixing everyone in the system and I just wanted to point out the Lee Tunnell shouldn't be overlooked. He's the reason why Axford added 5 MPH to his fastball prior to last season, and he knows the pitching in the system better than anyone. I hope he ends up getting interviewed quite a bit again this season because they are always insightful and entertaining.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Floridians warm up to Timber Rattlers

Richardson, Krestalude making quick adjustments

By Jim Oskola, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitcher Damon Krestalude and outfielder D'Vontrey Richardson are both used to having fun in the Florida sun.

Krestalude, who is from Port St. Lucie on Florida's east coast, and Richardson, who played quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles, are getting used to playing where the sun isn't quite as warm, but during Sunday's 8-2 win over Clinton at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, the duo certainly had fun.

Richardson, who started the season one-for-12, found his hitting stroke, going two-for-five with a double, a run scored and a pair of RBI.

"We got the win and that's all that matters," Richardson said. "I haven't been swinging like I want to, but we're 3-1. I've just got to keep playing tough defense."

Richardson attributed his slow start at the plate to just being too tense.

"I was telling my coach that I need to relax a little bit," he said. "These first couple of games, everybody was tensed up a little bit. Hopefully, now I can relax a little bit and swing the bat better."

Rattlers manager Jeff Isom has put Richardson in the leadoff spot, where he has no problem.

"I just see myself as a hitter," Richardson said. "A leadoff guy has got to get on base. That's what I'm trying to do. Wherever Isom wants to put me, I'll try to play that role."

Krestalude, in his first start of the season, went five innings, allowing two runs on five hits with two strikeouts.

He said that he pretty much did what he wanted to do.

"I got ahead early in the count, tried to keep the ball down, have them pound it in the ground, pitch to contact and let my fielders do the work," Krestalude said. "It went pretty well except for that home run but that's going to happen."

One other thing that Krestalude did was work quickly, getting the sign from catcher Cameron Garfield and making the pitch.

"We're trying to work fast and keep the hitters off balance," Krestalude said. "Just give me the ball so I can get my team back in the dugout so we can go out there and hit."

While much has already been said about the overall talent of the Timber Rattlers pitching staff with its three first-round draft choices, Krestalude said that the hype doesn't put any additional pressure on him or the rest of the staff.

"We just go out there and stick to our game plan, do what we can do, do what we are supposed to do and take it pitch-by-pitch, hitter-by-hitter and inning-by-inning," he said. "We try not to look too much into that. We know we have a pretty good staff here and have a chance to do a pretty good thing."

Both Richardson and Krestalude said that being a professional baseball player is something special.

"I was ready to get started," said Richardson about putting FSU behind. "Every day is just a learning process in this game."

Added Krestalude, "It's been a dream of mine since I was young. That's what I dream for. You dream to be a professional baseball player but now we're here. That was our first goal — to get to be a professional baseball player. Now, we're working to get to the big leagues, stay there and be an established big leaguer."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers Profile: Khris Davis

By Post-Crescent staff writer Brett Christopherson

-- No. 5 Khris Davis

-- Position: Outfielder.

-- Bats/throws: Right/right.

-- Height, weight: 6-foot, 195.

-- Residence: Glendale, Ariz.

-- Glove: Rawlings Trapeze.

-- Bat: Louisville Slugger, M110; 34 inches.

-- Notes: Selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the seventh round of the 2009 June draft. ... Combined to hit .237 with two homers, a pair of triples and eight RBI in 11 games last season at rookie levels Arizona and Helena (Mont.).

Favorites:

-- MLB team growing up: Los Angeles Dodgers.

-- MLB player(s) growing up: Gary Sheffield and Torii Hunter.

-- MLB player today: Derek Jeter. "Just because he plays the game the right way. I like anybody who plays the game the right way and respects the game."

-- Baseball movie(s): "Field of Dreams" and "Bull Durham."

-- Video game: "MLB 10: The Show."

-- Game system: PlayStation 3.

-- Food: "I like it all. But nothing goes wrong with a home-cooked meal, no matter what it is."

Q&A:

Q: Your father, Rodney, is an area scout for the Diamondbacks and played in the Dodgers' minor-league system. How has he helped in your development?

A: Definitely with the mental aspect, because he has been through it. He has mentored me throughout my whole life. But who really taught me how to hit was my mom (Sonia). My dad was on the road a lot, and I would go with him on road trips, but when I was at home, my mom would just go and pitch to me in the backyard, or we'd go to the park. She would take me to the baseball games early and throw to me. She was there for it.

Q: The Nationals drafted you out of high school in the 29th round, but you decided not to sign. Why?

A: I had my mind set on college. I wanted to experience college and grow up a little before I entered the real world. And when I entered the real world, it was definitely a shock. I've never regretted not going to college, because I had a great time and learned a lot.

Q: Shocking? How so?

A: That you're kind of on your own. You're a man, now. And it's time to grow up and take responsibility. Taxes — you've got money in your life now, which is pretty crazy. So just the money aspect and handling your business the right way.

Q: You were a standout on the Cal State Fullerton team that advanced to last year's NCAA College World Series. How sweet was that?

A: It would have been better if we had won the whole thing. We never won a game at the World Series, so … But the atmosphere was great. The fans, just getting to play in front of 25-30,000 people was cool. And being on TV and having your friends text you or call you to say, 'Hey, I saw you on TV.' That was pretty cool.

Q: Is there anything that impresses you about how the Brewers go about their business?

A: The whole organization plays hard. They really encourage us to play hard every day. Whether it's breaking up a double play or running out a hard 90 (feet), I think they appreciate that a lot.

Q: What did you think about that ugly blanket of snow that postponed Opening Day?

A: Yeah, that was a big shock. I heard the weather was nice the week before (the season was to begin). So I was coming in, maybe thinking it was going to be a little chilly, but not snow chilly.

Q: Have you heard horror stories about Wisconsin's weather?

A: Yeah, that's all they talked about (in spring training). But whatever. If that's what it takes for me to get to the big leagues, then I'll go through it. You try not to listen to the horror stories and just pick out a positive.

Q: Well, since you are here, anything you're interested in checking out?

A: I heard about the cheese curds. My host family brought some home, so I'm going to get down with some of those. So definitely the cheese curds — and the brats, of course.

Q: What should we know about this Rattlers team?

A: These guys like to win, and they like to have fun. It's a good time out here, and I look forward to going to the ballpark and just hanging out with the guys.

Q: What should we know about you?

A: I'm pretty shy. I like to keep to myself and be quiet. But at the same time, I am friendly, so don't be scared or shy to say hi to me, because I won't give you the cold shoulder.

Q: The dream is the big leagues. What's it going to take for you to make it?

A: A lot of hard work. But the harder you work, the luckier you get. So a little luck, and a lot of hard work and determination. You've gotta believe in it.

Q: Finally, finish this sentence: In five years I'll be …

A: I'll be in the big leagues, have a family and just be playing baseball.

The tool box

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Khris Davis' skills:

Hitting for average: "He's going to hit for average. He has a good idea at the plate on pitch selection. And when he gets pitches to hit, he puts good swings on it. He's quick to the ball, so I have a feeling he'll hit for a high average."

Hitting for power: "Right now, he's a gap-to-gap guy — mostly goes to right-center field. And usually, the last thing that develops for players is power from the offensive side, so I think power will be coming with him. But for us, he'll be a doubles and triples guy, with a handful of home runs. He'll hit more home runs as he gets older."

Running speed: "I haven't seen a whole lot because we haven't had a lot of opportunities to run. He's an adequate runner — a major-league average runner. He'll steal some bases."

Arm strength: "That's one area he's working on. We've got to change some mechanics with him throwing. As of right now, it's below average."

Fielding: "Very good. He runs good routes and gets good jumps on balls."

Final thoughts: "He's a very good kid — usually the first one to the clubhouse and the last one to leave. He takes pride in getting game ready. He's off to a good start. He struggled for a day or two and then made some minor changes with his swing. And since then, he has been hitting the ball very well. He's one of those guys with the ability to drive in runs, but he also has a good eye at the plate and will be a guy who can get on base."

Timber Rattlers outfielder Khris Davis was selected in the seventh round of the 2009 June draft by the Brewers. (Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100418&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=4180619&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

"I like to keep to myself and be quiet. But at the same time, I am friendly, so don't be scared or shy to say hi to me, because I won't give you the cold shoulder."

That's pretty cool. I hope the scouting report Isom gave isn't from a homer perspective, because like Tedaltada said, it sounds great.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Minor League Ladder
Josh Wussow/Inside Wisconsin Sports

It's not hard to like Chris Dennis, as baseball fans from Appleton
can certainly attest. Whether you're watching him sock home runs in
batting practice, chatting with him at the field rail or cheering as he
digs out a bad relay throw to first, the young man from Amherstburg,
Ontario has a comfortable, courteous air about him.

It's being Chris Dennis that's the challenging part.

"There's a lot of work that goes on in the background that a lot of
people don't see," he told IWS on Monday night, fresh off the team's
five-hour return bus ride from Iowa. "The coaches spend time with us,
working on our game and trying to make us better. It's just a long, long
process and a lot of hard work."

For those outside of the Timber Rattler circle, here's a brief
introduction: Selected by the Brewers in the 13th round of the 2007
Amateur Baseball Draft, the 6'1", 205-pound infielder from the great
white north has a frame that will allow him to play nearly anywhere on
the field, and he sports a sweet left-handed swing to boot.

"I look at myself as a power guy, as a hitter," he says, "a guy
that's supposed to drive in runs and create offense for the team."

For now, the Brewers have decided to give him a shot on the right
side of the diamond.

"I'm first base right now," he says. "I talked with the team, and
with my bat being the way it is, they thought it'd be a better
adjustment for me."

An adjustment to be sure, but nothing like the transition he
experienced from playing high school baseball in Canada to going pro in
the US. It was a journey that, as recently as 2006, Dennis was not yet
prepared to undertake.

Holding Out

During the summer following his high school graduation, Tampa Bay
came calling. A year before he would be selected by the Brewers, the
Rays took him with their 38th-round pick. After receiving the news,
Dennis took time for a little soul searching.

"I talked to my family, and I really looked at myself in the mirror
and said, 'Am I really ready to go away and play professional baseball?'
From what I'd heard, it was a grind. To be a professional baseball
player, you have to be mature."

Thankfully, there was another option.

"In Canada, you're allowed to go back [to high school] for what's
called an OAC, or a 13th year. I went back for half a year, which
allowed me to be draft-eligible."

The choice to stick close to home paid big dividends for Dennis, who
wound up going a full 25 rounds higher the following year.

"That extra year I held out helped me, both with my maturity and
allowing my body to develop," he says, "which I think has helped me to
become a more consistent player in the minor leagues."

As the days ticked off toward the 2007 Draft, he began to hear
rumblings of further things headed his way.

"My area scout, Jay Lapp, he had contacted me and said that the
Brewers had been showing a lot of interest," Dennis says. "He called me
the day before the draft and asked, 'If you're still available in [the
13th] round, what kind of money are you looking for?' So the day came, I
said, 'This is the amount I want,' and sure enough, the round came, and
they selected me. It was an exciting day."

The Climb to Appleton

After spending 2007-08 in rookie ball with the Brewers Arizona and
Helena farm clubs, Dennis was bumped up to Milwaukee's newest
affiliate, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, to start 2009. For someone
still learning to play outside his home country, there could be few
better places to earn his stripes.

"When I got to the city of Appleton, everybody really kind of just
embraced me and welcomed me," he says. "It made it kind of an easy
transition, you know, from not being here or not ever coming to
Wisconsin personally. All the people here are very nice. It's a
beautiful city, it's clean, and like I said, once you're a Timber
Rattler, they just take you right under their wing and help you out with
anything you need."

The Wisconsin spirit did wonders for Dennis, who kicked off the year
by socking 42 base hits in his first 132 at-bats, with 15 doubles and
four home runs. But the honeymoon was short lived for the
then-20-year-old, who would suffer a badly sprained ankle after only 38
games in a Rattler uniform.

"It was definitely a tough recovery," he remembers. "I went back to
Arizona to rehab it, and then that was a long process, about three or
three and a half weeks.

"Then I tried to play on it. I kind of tried to rush it because I
was excited to try to get back for hopefully a playoff run with
Wisconsin here, and I injured it again. I did more damage, ended up
tearing everything in my ankle. So, definitely, it was a frustrating
road."

A painful lesson to be sure. But as so often happens, the most
unexpected roadblocks can provide the best motivation. After shutting it
down for the season, the young infielder had a chance to regroup and
refocus.

Battling Back

"I worked hard in the off-season to get back to where I wanted to
be. I think that taking the rest of the year off and allowing it to
heal the way it should really helped me to come out ready and stronger
this year."

And no one can argue with his production so far in 2010. Through his
first 12 games with the Timber Rattlers, Dennis has batted .375
(15-40), with four doubles, four home runs and 11 RBIs. He's drawn 10
bases on balls while whiffing only five times, bringing his OPS to a
whopping 1.285.

"I've been working with my hitting coach, Matt Erickson," he says.
"He's helped me a lot."

Beyond the assistance provided by Erickson, an Appleton native,
Dennis has been busy honing his mental game as well.

"I think the biggest thing is just attitude. I kind of came in this
year and wanted to do certain things, hit certain goals. I'm sticking to
my game plan, and everything's working out. It definitely helps when
you've got the team around you."

Now, due to the early success, his name is being tossed around as a
potential candidate for promotion to High-A Brevard County or even
Double-A Hunstville.

"Obviously, my main goal is to make it to the major leagues," he
says of the situation. "So any time you have a chance to move up a level
and get one step closer, it's something that's always in the back of
your mind. But during a season, like right now, you really don't even
think about it. My goal is to help this ball club win games. If I have
personal success doing that and the team is winning, then it's kind of a
win-win situation."

If he maintains his current pace, there is no question that Dennis
will continue his journey up the minor league ladder. But one wonders,
is there something he'll look forward to the most about a future return
to the Badger State?

"Oh, I've definitely gotta say the brats," he says. "As a Canadian guy,
brats weren't really a big thing growing up. I'd heard of them, but I
never really ate them. But ever since I got to Wisconsin, I've met a
couple people, host families and people in the area, that were kind
enough to invite me to their house and have cookouts. And definitely at
the park, they have them. I love them; can't get enough."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers pitcher Jake Odorizzi projected to have bright future

Brett Christopherson, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE — The good folks at Baseball America project Jake Odorizzi to be the No. 3 starter in the Milwaukee Brewers rotation come 2013.

Your thoughts, kid?

"To tell you the truth, I haven't looked at any of that," the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers right-hander said with an amused grin following Wednesday's 5-2 Midwest League victory over Cedar Rapids at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"People say a lot of stuff and people think a lot of stuff. It all boils down to what the organization thinks. … I just go about my business and do what I do."

Business for the 20-year-old Odorizzi is throwing strikes, recording outs and filling the scoreboard with zeroes.

"I've never seen anybody with the stuff he has — free and easy," infielder Pete Fatse said. "He's everything you could want in a pitcher. He's unbelievable."

Odorizzi drew interest from the Brew Crew's chief mover and shaker, who spent his Wednesday afternoon hunkered in a stadium suite as he ditched the computerized scouting reports for a live look-see at these Rattlers.

"Jake's got a good arm," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said while taking a mid-game breather to talk baseball. "He's got a good pitcher's body, a good delivery, a good repertoire of pitches. It's a matter of commanding all of those pitches."

And using a little elbow grease to polish up an otherwise glittering big league prospect.

Odorizzi, a supplemental first-round pick in 2008, wiggled his way through a shaky first inning with minimal damage allowed, settled into a groove and wound up turning in a solid four-inning no-decision to enhance a robust early-season line that reads 19 K's, four hits and two runs over his first 12 innings.

He had been virtually flawless in his first two outings while being used in a tandem system that limits his pitch count and has him rotating starts with relief appearances.

That brief string included five no-hit innings and eight K's in a gem last Friday at Burlington — a game that saw the Rattlers come within an out of tossing a combined no-hitter.

In baseball lingo, the kid has been throwing seeds. But has he been challenged? And is he beyond this level already?

Yes to the first. A definite no to the second.

"I don't see myself above anyone's competition because, like today, it's a humbling experience," said Odorizzi, rated by Baseball America as the ninth-best prospect in the Brewers' system. "You don't have your best stuff and you have to work to get at it, and that just shows you you're never above any competition. You might be at the level of competition, but you're never going to be above it."

Check out his definition of humbling: Seven strikeouts, three walks, two runs and three hits against a Kernels club peppered with many of the top prospects in the Los Angeles Angels' organization.

And keep in mind the brunt of that damage was incurred during a 35-pitch, first-inning sequence that saw Odorizzi allow a pair of singles and issue two walks, which Cedar Rapids parlayed into four stolen bases and two runs.

"Those guys are a running bunch and trying to offset his timing, and they did a good job of that," Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook said. "They like to run, and part of that is having a game plan to hold runners, and I think he got caught up in that a little bit. So he just needed to take a little breather."

Said Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom: "The game's very easy when you're going out there and striking out guys, not giving up hits and not giving up baserunners. But you continue to move up the ladder, you're going to have teams that run and steal and challenge you at times in different aspects.

"I like that he was challenged today. … It's about the development process, and this is just one of those days that exposes a little bit of a weakness and shows things he needs to work on."

Odorizzi insists he needs to work on everything, which is why he gave Wednesday's outing an average mark — "a C-plus, at best," he said — even though he retired the final seven batters he faced, stuck out five batters looking, hummed a four-seam fastball to as high as 93 mph on the stadium gun and sprinkled in a slider, curveball and changeup.

That's four pitches, including a fastball he can command and mix speeds. And to think he just turned 20 last month.

It's little wonder why the Brewers are being extra careful with this kid, capping his innings pitched at 68 over the past two seasons at rookie ball and continuing to keep close tabs on his pitch count.

For those scoring at home, he exited Wednesday's game having thrown 82 pitches.

"The most important thing is taking care of their health, having them be healthy," Melvin said. "And you can manage the player better if he's healthy and performing. It's when they're not healthy — it's hard to foresee them playing in the big leagues if they miss too much time."

Just as it's hard to foresee Odorizzi not wearing Brewers colors by the time 2013 finally does roll around.

Timber Rattlers starter Jake Odorizzi pitches to Cedar Rapids in Grand Chute on Wednesday. (Post-Crescent photo by Dan Powers)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100422&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=4220683&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers profile: No. 14 Joey Paciorek

by Post-Crescent staff writer Brett Christopherson

Paciorek's file

- Position: Infielder.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Height, weight: 6-2, 225.

- Residence: Blaine, Wash.

- Glove: Wilson A2000.

- Bat: Louisville Slugger, Pro Stock; 34 inches, 32 ounces.

Notes: Selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 15th round of the 2007 June draft. ... Hit .227 with five homers and 45 RBI in 132 career minor-league games between rookie levels Arizona and Helena (Mont.) prior to this season. ... Father, Jim, appeared in 48 games with the Brewers in 1987.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: Seattle Mariners.

- MLB player(s) growing up: Ken Griffey Jr. and Alex Rodriguez.

- MLB player today: Joe Mauer. "I like the way he plays; the way he swings it."

- Brewers player: "The whole team."

- Sport other than baseball: Hockey.

- Way to relax: "Joke around with the guys or listen to music. Keep it loose. You can't take it too seriously."

- Music: "A little bit of everything, with a preference towards rap."

- TV show: "Dexter."

- Food: Grilled chicken and vegetables.

Q&A

Q: So, you're originally from Canada, eh? You must have played hockey, right?

A: I didn't get to play ice hockey. It was pretty much all baseball, basketball and football. Never played, but I love watching it.

Q: Well, did you love watching your Canadians beat the U.S. for the men's hockey gold?

A: A little bit. I talked about it down in spring training. Bragging rights. I didn't get to watch any events, but I went up there (to Vancouver) and just walked around town (during the Olympics). It was fun.

Q: Milwaukee Bucks guard Luke Ridnour also grew up in Blaine, Wash. Know him?

A: I met him. His dad was actually my PE teacher in high school. Yeah, they've got his whole shrine at the high school. Real big deal. He's really the first pro athlete to come out of there.

Q: Word is, had baseball not worked out, you were interested in becoming a firefighter. True?

A: Yeah, there was just some interest and it's a real respectable job. I couldn't do a desk job. Just kind of caught my eye. I was going to go to (college) and do a fire science course and play baseball.

Q: Any reason why you're wearing No. 14?

A: Not really. Just liked the number. I was 41 in high school, and they only went up to 40 (here), so I just reversed it.

Q: Your father and your uncles John and Tom played in the big leagues. How influential have they been to your career?

A: Just growing up, I was always around baseball. There wasn't really any doubt in my head that I was going to play — at least in high school. I didn't realize I'd play competitively in the pros. But there was no doubt I was going to play baseball as long as I could, growing up. And once I got here, they (helped) as far as knowing how to carry yourself on and off the field.

Q: What was the best piece of advice they offered, as far as baseball goes?

A: Just getting into a routine. That's huge. Just trying to feel the same way every day. And get into a good work ethic on and off the field.

Q: Did your dad ever play in the Midwest League?

A: He did, when (the Brewers) were at Beloit. (Laughing) He told me Clinton, Iowa, was the worst place to play.

Q: You were drafted out of high school. How tough was the adjustment to pro ball?

A: Just the speed of the game. You go from being a big fish in a small pond to being a small fish in a big pond. And learning how to be a professional on and off the field.

Q: People often talk about the mental grind of baseball. Do you find that to be more of a challenge than the physical aspect?

A: That's the biggest difference between guys here and guys in the big leagues. Everybody's got the ability, the God-given ability. But the mental side is huge.

Q: You guys were recently an out away from a no-hitter when a Burlington batter ripped a liner down the left-field line for a double. As the third baseman, rumor has it you could have made the play — true?

A: (Laughing) I don't think so. Guys were trying to say, 'We blame it on you.' But it was a little out of my reach. So they decided to blame (catcher Cameron) Garfield instead for the pitch call. It was exciting, though. Jake (Odorizzi) threw a real good game, and (Damon) Krestalude came in and did his job and it was down to the last out.

Q: The goal is to keep advancing levels. What do you need to improve to give yourself a shot at the bigs?

A: Everything. Keeping a good work ethic and getting better everyday. Just keep grinding away.

The tool box

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Joey Paciorek's skills:

- Hitting for average: "He's a guy that, with a few mechanical changes, is going to hit for some average. He'll probably be about a .250 hitter in the big leagues. That's what I would project him at, and that's still pretty good."

- Hitting for power: "He's got a great body. You see the size that he has and you see his shoulders, and that's one thing we look at. A kid like Joey, 21 years old — we're projecting him four or five years down the road and in the big leagues — I see him hitting for a decent average and a little bit of power, as well. You might not see the results right now, but there's something we see occasionally in his bat during batting practice. I know the organization is high on this kid."

- Running speed: "Running's not his specialty. He's going to be a power guy, but I wouldn't say he's below average by a whole lot. But he's not a major-league average runner, which is OK if you're a power guy at the corner position."

- Arm strength: "He's got a strong arm. If he's backhanding the ball down the third-base line, he's got a strong enough arm where he's going to be able to get a quick runner out."

- Fielding: "He's a corner infield guy, but he can play second base. We had him there in spring training, and then we moved a couple things around and he fits in at third base. … He' s got a decent glove. I actually think he probably does a little bit better job at second base. He turns a good double play. He's adequate at third base — makes the plays when they're at him. His glove is improving."

- Final thoughts: "He's a heads-up player, a hard-nosed player. He goes about his business and works hard. I've known him for two, three years, and I think the world of the kid. He's got a lot of attributes that will make him, or have him, move on in this organization."

Joey Paciorek plays the infield for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. (Post-Crescent photo by Dan Powers)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100425&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=4250592&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Isom's player evaluations are really candid and insightful.

I really like him, hopefully he stays in the system.

- Plato

- Plato

The topps 2010 kyle heckathorn cards have a lefty pictured on it in a Helena uniform. I can't figure out who it is, any guesses?

The pitcher inproperly pictured is Caleb Thielbar. There is a different photo on the back of the card, which is actually Kyle. Heck pointed this out to me during the T-Rat's Lead-Off Experience Banquet before the start of the season. I had Caleb sign the fromt of the card and Heck sign his photo on the back. a nice little collector's item.

Archived