Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

bnedaddy

NOTE: This is one of our "Your 2010 ___________ threads. There will be one for each of the full-season teams in place by Monday, when all rosters will have been announced. Within these threads, you will find updates and feature news stories that don't necessarily relate to game action (those would be found within the Daily Link Reports), so it will be an active thread all season long. -- Jim (Mass Haas)

Here's the 2010 roster fresh off the web page can't wait I got ticket to Thursday nights opener!

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Milwaukee Brewers have announced the members of the Opening Day Roster for the 2010 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Manager Jeff Isom will have seven members of Baseball America's Top 30 Prospect list for the Milwaukee organization on his roster. The Rattlers, in their second season as the Midwest League affiliate of the Brewers, also have five players who spent time with the team in 2009 returning for 2010.

Pitcher Eric Arnett, the #1 pick of the Brewers in the 2009 draft, is one of the headliners. Baseball America lists the former Indiana Hoosier as the #4 prospect in the Milwaukee organization.

Kyle Heckathorn, who was a supplemental first round pick in last year's draft, also has top prospect status. The pitcher out of Kennesaw State University is rated as the Brewers' #10 prospect by BA.

Other members of the 2010 Timber Rattlers listed in the top 30 by BA are: Pitchers Jake Odorizzi (#9), Del Howell (#22), Nick Bucci (#29), and Maverick Lasker (#30) and outfielder D'Vontrey Richardson (#18).

This edition of the Timber Rattlers features 14 members of the 2009 Brewers draft class. Joining Arnett, Heckathorn, Howell (15th round- Alabama), and Richardson (5th round - Florida State) are: Catcher Cameron Garfield (2nd round - Murrieta Valley (CA) High School); pitcher Hiram Burgos (6th round - Bethune-Cookman University); outfielder Khris Davis (7th round - Cal-State Fullerton); pitcher Jonathon Pokorny (9th round - Kent State); pitcher Andrew Lamontagne (11th round - Oral Roberts); infielder Sean Halton (13th round - Lewis-Clark State); infielder Scooter Gennett (15th round - Sarasota (FL) High School); pitcher Caleb Thielbar (18th round - South Dakota State University); outfielder Franklin Romero (20th round - Cerro Coso Community College); and infielder Pete Fatse (24th round - Connecticut).

Fatse played for the Timber Rattlers last season and other returners are Lasker, pitcher Efrain Nieves, and infielders Chris Dennis and Michael Marseco.

Pitchers:

Eric Arnett: Big 10 Co-Pitcher of the Year and First Team All-Big Ten selection in 2009 after a 12-2 season at Indiana as a junior.

Nick Bucci: Brewers minor league pitcher of the month for July, 2009. Bucci also pitched for Canada in the 2009 World Cup of Baseball.

Hiram Burgos: Was 6-3 in 14 games (12 starts) in final season at Bethune-Cookman. Burgos pitched for Mayaguez in the Puerto Rican Winter League this past offseason.

Kyle Heckathorn: Was an Atlantic Sun All-Conference selection in 2009. Also struck out 15 batters in a game against North Florida to set a Kennesaw State University Division I record.

Del Howell: Went 5-3 in his final season at Alabama with 68 strikeouts in 58-1/3 innings pitched.

Damon Krestalude: A 17th round pick in 2008 out of Port St. Lucie (FL) High School. Krestalude pitched for both Helena (Pioneer League) and Brevard County (Florida State) in 2009.

Andre Lamontagne: A First-Team All-Summit League selection in 2009 after compiling a 6-2 record at Oral Roberts.

Maverick Lasker: A 5th round pick in 2008 out of Sandra Day O'Connor High School. Was an Arizona League All-Star in 2009 and pitched seven scoreless innings at Kane County on August 31, 2009 to win his Timber Rattlers debut.

Efrain Nieves: A 7th round pick in the 2007 draft, Nieves spent all of 2009 with the Rattlers. After the season, he pitched for Puerto Rico in the World Cup of Baseball and for Arecibo in the Puerto Rican Winter League. Nieves was also named to the Caribbean Series All-Star squad as a relief pitcher.

Jake Odorizzi: A supplemental 1st round pick in 2008 out of Highland (IL) High School. Was the Gatorade Player of the Year for Illinois in 2008 after compiling a 14-0 record and striking out 146 batters as a senior at Highland High.

Jon Pokorny: Named to Second Team All-Mid American Conference team as a reliever in 2009. Pokorny has pitched in both the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League (2007) and the Alaskan Collegiate League (2008).

Chad Robinson: A 12th round pick in 2006 out of Community College of Southern Nevada. Robinson missed all of 2008 with an injury. Returned to the mound with Helena in 2009.

Caleb Thielbar: Set career records at South Dakota State in starts (44) and innings pitched (274). Thielbar is second on the Jackrabbits career strikeout list with 196.

Catchers:

Cameron Garfield: Born in Frankfurt, Germany. Garfield played for Team USA under 18 National Team in the summer of 2008 and won a silver medal at the IBAF's World Summer Championships. He had committed to the University of San Diego before signing with the Brewers.

Austin Stockfisch: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in July, 2009 out of Grand Canyon University. Stockfisch was a First Team All-Pacific West Conference in 2009.

Infielders:

Chris Dennis: A 13th round pick in 2007. Dennis played in 38 for the Timber Rattlers in 2009. He homered twice in a game at Dayton on May 27, 2009.

Pete Fatse: Hit .324 with 11 homers in final season with UCONN. Fatse played 59 games with the Timber Rattlers in 2009.

Scooter Gennett; This will be Gennett's first professional season. He had committed to play baseball at Florida State before signing with the Brewers.

Carlos George: A 46th round pick in 2008 out of James Monroe High School in Bronx, NY. Stole 20 bases for the Arizona League Brewers in 2009

Sean Halton: Selected as an Honorable Mention NAIA All-American in 2009. Hit .345 and six home runs in 69 games between Arizona League Brewers and Helena in 2009

Michael Marseco: An 11th round pick in 2008 out of Samford University and played 93 games with Wisconsin in 2009.

Joey Paciorek: A 15th round pick in 2007 out of Blaine (WA) High School. He is the son of former Major Leaguer Jim Paciorek.

Outfielders:

Khris Davis: Hit .328 with 16 home runs in final season with Cal State-Fullerton. Davis played in both 2009 College World Series games for the Titans.

D'Vontrey Richardson: Played both football and baseball at Florida State. He holds the FSU record for longest TD run by a quarterback (55 yards v. Chattanooga). Baseball America rates him as the best athlete in the Brewers minor league system.

Franklin Romero: Named to the 2009 First Team All-Foothill Conference after he hit .417 in his final season at Cerro Coso.

The Timber Rattlers open the season when they host the Kane County Cougars on Thursday, April 8 at 6:35pm. Fans may order tickets for Thursday (or for any game during the 2010 season) one of three ways: By calling (920) 733-4152, online through www.timberrattlers.com, or in person at the Time Warner Cable Field box office during regular business hours.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pokorny could have the stuff to be a starter, but he was drafted as a reliever and used as a reliever most of the time last year. He might be used as a closer this year. Robinson has had so many arm problems, the Brewers will almost assuredly never try him as a starter again. And I'm pretty sure Thielbar will be used as a reliever on a staff containing all those other high-upside arms.

Prince is hurt or otherwise off the field - he only played in one spring training game. Of course, now watch him show up on the Brevard roster. Kentrail Davis is an advanced hitter, so it's not too surprising he'll start with Brevard. I'm with you on Dykstra, though. Surprised not to see him back in Wisconsin.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ten starting pitchers on one staff... neat.

I would assume they are still piggybacking starters, right? So I guess that would make sense...

Prince didn't have the best A-ball season, but as a college draft pick, I wouldn't think it be a surprise that he is in Brevard this year. Especially if they want Gennett in A-ball.

edit - added prince comment

I was hoping the would start Davis off in Appleton giving all the fans a chance to come see him and just get his feet wet a little bit in pro-ball. Brevard Country isn't a very hitter friendly place to play and start out.

I wonder if Dykstra is going to A+ or if Gennett took his spot with the T-Rats? They are playing Gennett at SS to stat out right?

I was hoping the would start Davis off in Appleton giving all the fans a chance to come see him and just get his feet wet a little bit in pro-ball. Brevard Country isn't a very hitter friendly place to play and start out.
Technically, they did--K. Davis, even! As to your second point, Space Coast is particularly punishing of right-handed hitters; as a lefty, Kentrail Davis should be okay, though the overall offensive context of the FSL as a whole is indeed low.

They could flop Davis and Haydel pending the health of both players, but I believe it's unlikely. Schafer will be the everyday CF in AA when he's healthy, at which point Cain will bump to AAA, and Gindl belongs in a corner OF spot in AA. That basically only leaves Haydel who isn't an uber prospect, but definitely has earned his shot at AA to be bumped by Davis.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not a fan of back to back posts but I was actually coming to this to post a different observation.

The WI team should be extremely fun to follow: I love the pitching, Garfield is an exciting C prospect, on the infield I'm intrigued by Gennet, Halton, and George, and in the outfield I'm extremely excited about Richardson and Dennis. I have a hard time believing that Dennis is moving to the infield, unless him and Halton were going to alternate between 1B and DH? I'm not a fan of players splitting time though, I hope he stays in the OF for now.

My only question on the pitching side would be who's going to be paired with whom? I'll always find the pairings intriguing. Though each time I count I actually come up with 9 starting pitchers, if there will be a 10th I'm curious who it will be... And That's guess of Pokorny is probably the most logical.

edit. Mr Mehring is clutch as usual.

I just had a chance to talk with Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook.

Here is the Timber Rattlers pitching rotation for the first ten games

(or the first two times through the rotation)*

There will be a tandem system for three of the spots and stand-alone starters in the other two spots.

April 8-10 v. Kane County:

THU: Nick Bucci/Del Howell

FRI: Efrain Nieves

SAT: Jake Odorizzi/Damon Krestalude

April 11-13 v. Clinton

SUN: Eric Arnett

MON: Maverick Lasker/Kyle Heckathorn

TUE: Howell/Bucci

April 14-16 @Burlington

WED: Nieves

THU: Krestalude/Odorizzi

FRI: Arnett

April 17 @Quad Cities

SAT: Heckathorn/Lasker

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Is it possible that the Brewers think Kentrail Davis could see Huntsville this season? Would that have any bearing on his placement?
I think it's the other way around: because they think he's advanced enough to start the season at Brevard County, it's by default possible that he'd see Huntsville sometime this season. It's not like there's some pressing need to get him to AA this year that would require them to start him higher than they'd like.
There will be a

tandem system for three of the spots and stand-alone starters in the

other two spots.

Interesting that Nieves will be one of the standalone starters given the contrast between his build and Heckathorn's.

I was surprised that Nieves is back in the rotation, I only saw him pitch in relief last season and while his 2 seam fastball has a ton a life, that's all he threw the couple of times I watched him pitch. He occasionally mixed in a slider as a second pitch, maybe a better word would be "rarely".

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Top prospects on roster give Timber Rattlers high hopes

By Brett Christopherson, Post-Crescent staff writer

The bus carrying the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers barreled north along U.S. 41 on Monday en route to Grand Chute's Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

Aboard were power arms, hot bats, athleticism, speed and overall good chemistry — all reasons why Rattlers second-year manager Jeff Isom couldn't wait to trade the Arizona warmth for the unpredictability of a Wisconsin spring.

"I have a lot of excitement for the season," said Isom, whose team flew from Phoenix to Milwaukee before hopping on the bus for the final leg of the trip. "Not only for the talent I've seen, but the (team) attitude in general has been awesome. We've had an awesome spring training. Guys have worked their tails off, and I'm expecting a fun season."

The Rattlers revealed their roster as pegged by the Milwaukee Brewers, a talented collection that includes seven of the Crew's top 30 minor-league prospects, according to Baseball America.

Wisconsin and Milwaukee are entering the second year of a four-year pact that will station the Brewers' Low-A talent in Grand Chute through 2012. The Rattlers host Kane County on Thursday at 6:35 p.m. in their Midwest League opener.

"You look up and down the roster, and it's just prospect after prospect," Rattlers president Rob Zerjav said. "I'd get the daily (minor-league spring training) box scores from Brewers, and these guys were quite impressive. It seems like they're the real deal."

Headlining this year's club is right-hander Eric Arnett, the Brewers' top draft choice in 2009. The 22-year-old was selected 26th overall out of Indiana University and is rated as the fourth-best prospect in the Milwaukee system behind shortstop Alcides Escobar, second baseman Brett Lawrie and third baseman Mat Gamel.

A Baseball America scouting report said the 6-foot-5 Arnett throws a consistent low- to mid-90s fastball that has reached 97 mph on the radar gun. He also tosses a mid-80s slider.

Arnett struggled at rookie level Helena (Mont.) last season, losing all four of his decisions and producing a 4.41 ERA over 35 innings pitched.

But he was coming off a busy college season in which he went 12-2 with 109 strikeouts and a 2.50 ERA over 108 innings en route to earning Big Ten co-pitcher of the year and all-conference first team honors as a junior.

In addition to Arnett, the Rattlers clubhouse will be home to a number of organization's top-rated hurlers:

Right-hander Jake Odorizzi (ranked ninth by Baseball America).

Right-hander Kyle Heckathorn (No. 10).

Left-hander Del Howell (No. 22).

Right-hander Nick Bucci (No. 29).

Right-hander Maverick Lasker (No. 30).

Of that group, Odorizzi (2008) and Heckathorn (supplemental pick in '09) are also first-round draft selections.

Isom said all but Arnett would be part of a tandem system in which two pitchers are scheduled throw in the same game. The designated starter will open the season on a pitch count of between 75 to 80 pitches and will then reverse roles with the designated reliever the next time their spot arrives in the rotation.

He noted Rattlers pitching surrendered no more than four runs in any of the 14 spring training games they played in compiling a 10-2-2 record.

Isom said the offense also impressed, averaging between seven and eight runs per contest behind a blend of speed and power.

Baseball America has outfielder D'Vontrey Richardson rated as the Rattlers' top position player at No. 18, calling the 21-year-old the best athlete in the Brewers' system.

Richardson, a fifth-round draft choice in 2009 and entering his first professional season, played baseball and football at Florida State, where he set a school record for the longest touchdown run by a quarterback with a 55-yard dash against Chattanooga as a backup in 2008.

Of course, last year's team also featured a handful of Milwaukee's top minor-league talent and came in with high expectations, only to scuffle to a 58-81 finish.

Isom doesn't expect that same fate in 2010.

"There are a lot of things we have to work on, no question about that," he said. "But the players know what they have to work on, and that's the awesome thing. They really get after it, and it's really refreshing to see how they approach games and to watch their daily work in general."

"This group has been a fun group to work with just because of the energy they have and the work ethic they have. And that has already set them apart from last year's club."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers' Fan Fest set for Tuesday afternoon

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' annual Fan Fest bash will be held on Tuesday, April 6, from noon until 5:30 p.m. at Grand Chute's Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

As always, the annual event is all about free: Free admission, free parking, free food and drink and a free chance to check out the 2010 Rattlers.

Fans who attend will receive a punch card that can be redeemed for a hot dog, a box of popcorn, a soda and a slice of Palermo's Pizza.

Ballpark tours will also be available, allowing those in attendance a peek at the $400,000 stadium renovation project currently in its final phases.

Also on tap is a team practice at noon and a team instrasquad game at 3 p.m., followed by an autograph session.

Finally, those on hand will receive a coupon good for free parking at any one of the six Rattlers season-opening home games (April 8-13).

Wisconsin opens its Midwest League season on April 8 when it hosts Kane County at 6:35 p.m.

For more information, contact the Rattlers at 920-733-4152.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitchers promise good stuff

Brett Christopherson, Appleton Post-Crescent

The newest "Big Three" — Milwaukee Brewers minor-league edition — offered their salutations onto our little community on Tuesday.

Just as they plan, in due time, on extending those same warm greetings to that metropolis 90 miles to the south.

You know, the Cream City … Brew City … the Great Place on a Great Lake … the Fresh Coast.

Milwaukee, people.

"It's all a process and, as much as you'd like to move quickly, it all depends on what upper management wants," said Wisconsin Timber Rattlers hurler Jake Odorizzi, one of the aforementioned "Big Three" and part of an overall staff of, by consensus, electric arms.

"All we can do is our thing, and when they feel our time is ready, they'll make the decision to send us up. But until then, we're working every day, getting better. We're coming — eventually."

That would be to the bigs, people. The show. The dream. So be sure to check these dudes out ASAP.

Because if all goes well, their visit to Appleton could be a quickie.

Sure, that stinks. But it's also pretty cool since it's yet another sweet perk the locals are getting out of this Rattlers-Brewers deal.

Grand Chute today, Miller Park tomorrow. Hopefully.

"I'm not kidding when I say I've got 10 guys who can start and are serious major-league prospects," Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook said with a hint of disbelief. "We're very fortunate to have that, and it should be interesting to see how it all pans out."

Odorizzi and the rest of his Rattlers teammates were made available to the faithful as part of Tuesday's annual Fan Fest festivities at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

As far as print on paper, this year's club appears locked and loaded throughout its roster as it continues the countdown to Thursday's home- and season-opener.

But no more so than on the bump, where six of the Brewers' top 30 minor-league prospects, as slotted by Baseball America, will be showcasing their stuff.

"The staff looks great," smiled 21-year-old right-hander Kyle Heckathorn, another member of the "Big Three." "A lot of experience, a lot of talent. The fans should expect a great season, and I think we'll really do a good job of shutting down the other team's offense. This staff is just so well-built right now."

Which brings us back to the "Big Three."

Odorizzi, Heckathorn and 22-year-old righty Eric Arnett are all former first-round draft choices of the Crew. Arnett was taken 26th overall last June, while Heckathorn was grabbed 21 selections later as a supplemental pick.

The 20-year-old Odorizzi, another right-hander, was taken 32nd overall as another supplemental pick in 2008.

Three first-rounders on the same minor league staff? All rated as top 10 organizational prospects?

Where's all the pitching Brewers fans? Right here, in your backyard.

"This pitching staff is definitely very deep," Arnett said. "It's going to be fun to watch. And I think we're going to be pretty good with the earned run count."

Not surprisingly, Hook said all of his pitchers have a checklist of "to-do" items before they'll be allowed to shove off to the next minor league stop. And that includes his celebrated trio.

For instance, the 6-foot-5 Arnett is still refining his off-speed command to compliment his low- to mid-90s fastball and mid-80s slider, as well as bettering his control of the running game and cleaning up his delivery.

The 6-2 Odorizzi is continuing to learn how to pitch at the professional level while making what Hook said were "subtle adjustments" to bolster a four-pitch repertoire that includes a four-seam and two-seam fastball, curveball and slider.

And the 6-6 Heckathorn is tweaking his delivery to enhance a low- to mid-90s fastball with a hard sink and a high-80s power slider.

In scouting terms, that's called having a high ceiling. In layman's terms, that's called, well, wow!

"The possibility is there for them to move quick," Hook said. "But they've got to show – and (Brewers general manager) Doug Melvin's really big on this – they want to make sure you show that you don't belong in this league. He doesn't think too highly about moving guys too quick.

"But if these guys have success, they have an opportunity to move quick if they show that they shouldn't be here."

That could be bad news for us. But that would be great news for the Crew.

The Rattlers' "Big Three"

Eric Arnett

Residence: Pataskala, Ohio.

Throws: Right.

Height: 6-5.

Acquired: First round draft choice in 2009 (26th overall).

Minor league stats: 0-4, 35 Ks, 21 BB, 4.41 ERA, 14 G in one season (2009) at rookie level Helena (Mont.).

Baseball America Brewers' prospect rank: Fourth.

When he's expected to pitch: Sunday at home against Clinton. Game time is 5:05 p.m.

Jake Odorizzi

Residence: Highland, Ill.

Height: 6-2.

Acquired: First round draft choice in 2008 (32nd overall).

Minor league stats: 2-6, 62 Ks, 18 BB, 4.12 ERA, 23 G in two seasons (2008 and '09) at rookie levels Arizona and Helena (Mont.).

Baseball America Brewers' prospect rank: Ninth.

When he's expected to pitch: Saturday at home against Kane County. Game time is 1:05 p.m.

Kyle Heckathorn

Residence: Ootewah, Tenn.

Height: 6-6.

Acquired: First round draft choice in 2009 (47th overall).

Minor league stats: 0-1, 15 Ks, 4 BB, 6.04 ERA, 6 G in one season (2009) at rookie level Helena (Mont.).

Baseball America Brewers' prospect rank: 10th.

When he's expected to pitch: Monday at home against Clinton. Game time is 12:05 p.m.

Eric Arnett, one of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' top pitching prospects, gets used to his new surroundings on Tuesday. Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100407&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=4070570&Ref=AR&Profile=1019&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Wow, the Timber Rattlers park is quite a step up from Helena.
Regarding Marseco, I know he tends to get overlooked, I will say that he is a gamer and is a terrific fielder. Those fortunate to watch him in person will see. I have followed baseball for 5 decades and can't recall anyone, at any level, that can field the ball, get it out of his mitt and make the throw faster than Marseco. He is very quick.

Archived