Brewer Fanatic

Proposed Brewers trade for Manny Ramirez

edogg1026

As a Brewer fan living in Boston, Ive been listening to recent developments about Manny Ramirez demanding to be traded from Boston, with approx 2 years, 40 million due to him. Sox color man Jerry Remy appeared on the local sports radio station and claimed today that Manny has submitted a list of at least 10 teams he will accept a trade to (with 10/5 rights, he can veto any trade). While I doubt the Brewers are one of the teams he listed, as a huge Manny and Brewers fan I thought I would come up with a trade I thought would benefit both teams. Let me know what you think:

Its been said the Sox are willing to accept some of Manny salary, so might the Brewers be willing to pay Manny, say, 2 years left @15 million per year, if the Red sox were to take Geoff Jenkins 1 year @ 9 million of the books. They might.

Heres the list of bounty I came up with the Brewers could offer:

Geoff Jenkins (nearing the end in Milwaukee, could resurge in Bostons bandbox, and his defense is always great, but tough hitting against lefties ? throw in the ?bulldog? attitude and hes almost a Trot Nixon clone, who is a FA and almost certain to leave Boston this year)

JJ Hardy (Brewers could go with infield of Hall, Graffy, Weeks, and Fielder next year ? Cirillo and Koskie, if he comes back, as very competent backups ? Red sox get their shortstop of the future)

Francisco Cordero (also high salaried - in brewers speak ,1 year / 5 million left ? this would also help the bullpen woes of the Sox and allow Papelbon to move to the rotation)

That?s a decent package for the sox. I hate to include Cordero, but it seems the Sox will require pitching. I think, actually, the Brewers might be reluctant to do that package.

i dont think its worth it...

other than hardy, you arent giving up the future for manny in that deal, but its so much money and he's such a media whore...

besides, i think boston would want a top level prospect or two mixed in there...

Two quick things pogo:

1) Manny is the anti media whore. He has not spoken to the Boston media (or, really, any media) for the last two years

2) Boston would be getting JJ for their long term future. I think we can all agree he is now very solid, with the potential to be great, and they do have a HUGE hole there, with Alex Gonzalez a FA at the end of the year, and no real candidate in the minors. This would appeal to Bostons long term need at SS, and a short term need at closer and RF.

As much as I would love Manny's bat in the lineup, I am kind of tired of getting players with too many flaws. I am kind of in the mood for more of the "Minnesota Twins" type of players who are fundamentally sound in all aspects of the game.

Manny is a headcase who is probably best suited for DH. A lot of people also feel that he has quit on his teammates this season.

Manny is getting a bit long in the tooth.

He's 34, but there's really no indication that he's about to have any kind of dramatic falloff. He's only had an OPS under 1.000 *once* since 1998.

The guy is one of the best hitters ever, and even sweeter would be Prince being able to hit in front of him, probably with Papi-like results.

That said, I doubt Milwaukee was on his list of acceptable destinations, unless he wanted a city with much less scrutiny or something.

Quote:
1) Manny is the anti media whore. He has not spoken to the Boston media (or, really, any media) for the last two years

and yet his incessant whining is always heard clear across the country...

don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of the guy...but i can't imagine him in milwaukee...unless he's pulling a publicity stunt of something..

Quote:
Stop w/ the Manny Ramirez threads, he WONT come to Milwaukee, now Carl Crawford on the other hand.....

While I agree that Manny is unlikely to come to Milwaukee, disrespecting other posters with your, "I know more than you guys" attitude is not necessary. If some people would like to discuss Man-Ram, more power to them. Almost all trade possibilities raised on this thread don't happen. If someone can make a reasonable trade offer for a Man Ram, Arod, whoever. More power to them.

Your post added nothing to this discussion. Period.

Now back to the actual thread. Adding Man-Ram would be huge for our offense, I just don't know if adding him would make up for all that we would lose in a trade.

Straw,

Really, my post added nothing to the conversation, giving my opinion that MAN Ram would never come to MIlwaukee and then offering a REAL alternative in regard to Crawford and what he could add to the offense (see Crawford thread) adds nothing??

Straw, not only were you wrong in your assessment in regard to my post a moderator quickly posted it's OK to give a different opinion, than let's say yours.

You don't have to apologize Straw, maybe just relax a bit, I know the Brewers had a bad season and all but your attack of my harmless post was pretty much uncalled for. Go out for happy hour and a have few beers and take a few deep breaths, GEEZ!!!

GO BREW!!!

Quote:
Maybe we should start the Johan Santana, Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard threads are coming to MIlwaukee threads because its fun to speak hypothetical, LOL Give me a break

Do you really feel a need to post in every thread like some people on this site do? This is a TRADE PROPOSAL section of Brewerfan and thats what the guy was doing....

Maybe we should start the Johan Santana, Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard threads are coming to MIlwaukee threads because its fun to speak hypothetical, LOL Give me a break

If someone wanted to talk about what would be equal value for a Johan Santana, etc., I have no problem with it.

No one died and made you thread Nazi, nor did anyone force you to read this thread and post in it.

Give ME a break.

Team Canada,

There have been what 10+ threads about Manny this year coming to Milwaukee, it's getting somewhat old (and totally unrealistic considering his salary), I didn't attack the poster who posted I just presented a more likely alternative.

Again, I know the Brewers had a bad year, Jenkins had a bad year (much to the chagrine of the masses) and now some coaches have been fired. No reason to have such a short fuse.

My post did not deserve nor warrant ANY of the responses I received (including yours)!!

Stop w/ the Manny Ramirez threads, he WONT come to Milwaukee, now Carl Crawford on the other hand.....

Maybe if you tried:

I think it's doubtful Ramirez will come to Milwaukee, but Crawford...

Or even

I don't think there is any way Ramirez will ever come to Milwaukee, but Crawford...

It's the "Stop w/ the" stuff that you can do without. As has been stated, you aren't the final word on what can be posted here, so you need not post like you are.

Honestly, it's totally unnecessary.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

There have been what 10+ threads about Manny this year coming to Milwaukee, it's getting somewhat old (and totally unrealistic considering his salary),

I really don't care to take the time to look at every thread, but I just looked at every title since March, and none mention Manny, and only a couple mention Boston. If you care to look back and find those 10+ references, knock yourself out. I think it's fair to say there are a lot of things that have been discussed more heavily than Manny Ramirez.

I didn't attack the poster who posted I just presented a more likely alternative.

I'm not sure how else to take "Stop w/ the Manny Ramirez threads". It's at least poor choice of words.

Bill Scott,

Thank you for the re-packaging comment. In no way was I taking a shot at the original poster, if it was taken that way I apologize although the original poster didn't comment, Straw and some others felt it necessary to rise to his defense?. In the email world stop can be miscrued, like "stop it" which is a common saying when conversing, I'm not a moderator so I would hope another poster would not take that to mean cease posting.

Although Bill, a number of folks on this board should take a step back and relax just a bit. However, I understand 20+ years of frustration may be taking its toll http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Plus Jenkins didn't have that incredible last 2 months that many were hoping for http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Add all that up and you have a ticking time bomb apparently, amongst a few http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Before you guys go crazy please take this as tongue in cheek stuff, I want to the Brewers to win as much as the next fan. I can't wait to see what Melvin does this off-season.

Bill just a thought, things may run smoother throughout the board if other posters didn't feel the need to try and police (straw, mothership and others) eventhough they're NOT moderators, just some friendly feedback.

You don't have to apologize Straw, maybe just relax a bit, I know the Brewers had a bad season and all but your attack of my harmless post was pretty much uncalled for. Go out for happy hour and a have few beers and take a few deep breaths, GEEZ!!!

Plus Jenkins didn't have that incredible last 2 months that many were hoping for

Jenkins had a bad year (much to the chagrine of the masses)

http://www.tntech.edu/earth/photos/iceland/images/DSCF0252.jpg

Quote:
Bill just a thought, things may run smoother throughout the board if other posters didn't feel the need to try and police (straw, mothership and others) eventhough they're NOT moderators, just some friendly feedback.

I am no moderator, but I see no problem with standing up for a poster who is being bullied. Stop trying to justify yourself, you are only making yourself, you are only making yourself appear more trollish and childish.

This has nothing to do with Jenkins or twenty years of losing, it has everything with treating others with respect. How would you like it if you started a thread only to have a person come in and, in essence, call it "stupid". Because that is basically what you did in this thread.

Archived