Brewer Fanatic

Technology you can't live without...

twobrewers

In honor of the IPad's release this weekend - what recent technology can you not live without?

1. DVR (About 4/5 years ago when we first got it - I thought it was the best $5 a month I had ever spent. I can't imagine TV without it)

2. Wireless Internet (A desktop computer instead of a laptop seems insane now-a-days)

3. Roomba (A robot that vacuums my house for me? Yes please!)

4. ITouch (IPods are great, but other than while running, I never really listen to mine. ITouch on the other had is used daily in the home. Only wish I had gone with the full IPhone)

As a bonus, my list of most overrated items...

1. HDTV (We have two big HDTVs - they are nice. But they don't really make TV better for me.

2. Cell phones (Other than texting to leave messages for my wife, I almost miss just having a home line.)

3. Wii (While not much of a gamer, I've never really gotten into the Wii. I still think the best feature is downloading old games for $5)

I have never used a BlueRay or seen a 3D television. I figure since I don't appreciate HDTV that much or own DVDs - BlueRay would probably be a waste of money. I have a hard time imagining 3D television taking off.

Is there anything you can't live without?

Skype.

I'm doing live video back and forth with family and friends 10,000 miles away for free.

25 years ago, I was paying $100 a month to call my girlfriend (now wife) using an MCI card between Whitewater and Purdue--and even then, we had to keep calls fairly brief.

Besides that, the whole live streaming of sports results is still an amazing thing for those of us who grew up pre-ESPN. It's possible to know just about everything about everything on demand vs. having to wait for Hank Stoddard to read a score to you in the 5 minutes they would give him at the end of the 10:00 news.

texting. I'm 29, and I have to say that I can't fathom meeting friends somewhere (like Summerfest or sporting events). We just say "hey, lets get together tonight" then when someone finds a landmark, he texts to let the others know when/where he is. I guess in the 90s people used to often talk about meeting up, but unless they actually bothered to plan it in advance, it failed to happen.

Besides that...wireless internet and satellite TV are up there. I love the MLB package and have for years!

On screen TV program menu (or whatever you call it).

Laptops

Overrated:

Texting. Hello..it's a phone!

Although, I'm sure if texting was available when I was in my 20's, I probably would have benn all over it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A few we take for granted:

Remote Contol

Garage door opener

Power locks, windows, A/C, electronic fuel injection, etc., etc., all standard

Digital camera

High speed internet access

Caller ID

Central air

A few I would struggle without:

Online banking, bill pay

HDTV

Wireless internet

Cell phone/smart phone

I'm with you FV - these kids are spoiled. I remember having to get up and manually change the channel on the TV.

Can't believe I'm the first person to mention microwave. Anyone else remember making popcorn the old fashioned way over the stove?

10 years ago I would have said CDs - colossial improvement over audio cassettes and vinyl. But now with portable media players and satellite radio I'd say that CDs are almost extinct.

I'd say satellite radio too, but that is as much of a function of radio stations turning into corporate garbage as it is technology - a topic for another thread.

As for wireless internet, that just gives my employer an excuse for me to get more work done. Could almost do without it...

Texting is a must have for me. Reason being is that i have a large deaf family, so it's the only way i can communicate with them on the go, without lugging around a cumbersome TTY machine(seriously, it's a revolution for deaf families that i cannot possibly explain).

Wireless internet is great because i am always on the go, and so i can check brewer scores up to minute, while driving through Tennessee.

Flush toilets. Everything else is gravy.

This. Anybody who has used an outhouse more than once(especially in winter) can attest to this.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The Internet, or more specifically, the World Wide Web. I remember the gopher and telnet days.

I could live without TV, cell phone, radio, newspaper, but not the Internet. It's where I get most of my news, weather, sports, entertainment, etc.

I could live without...

TV (might actually be something worth giving up.)

Microwave (most of the stuff I put in a microwave is pretty unhealthy.)

Automobile (as long as I'm living in the city... I've never owned or even wished I had a car since I moved to the city when I turned 18.)

Would hate to live without...

Cell phone

Internet

ATM/Debit

Couldn't live without...

Flush toilets

Refrigerators

Computer (I use Excel once a day to computation. What a pain if I didn't have that.)

Had an eye opener last night as our power was out from 6 until after midnight. I remember the power going out when I was a kid and it was basically "OK, no lights, no tv, kind of annoying" and we went on with our life. Last night I realized that I basically don't do anything (indoors, since it was raining) that does not involve electricity. On top of that my basement flooded because the sump pump wasn't working. If it wasn't for my cell phone (and its battery), I never would have woken up to bail more water at midnight or to get to work on time. It felt like all heck was breaking loose.

I may need to make some lifestyle adjustments. In the case of the apocolypse I don't want to be one of those first ones killed off because they panic when the lights go out.

I definitely cannot live without the air conditioner. It's very humid and hot in Singapore all year round, the air conditioner is probably the greatest invention ever over here. I really miss the winter seasons in Milwaukee...

Archived