Brewer Fanatic

Hart to nationals?

They have plenty of outfield options, but what about at first? Lawrie, Gamel and Casey have been mentioned as options, but it seems like Hart would be a logical option if and when they decide to move Prince.

I'm still of the idea that they should sell high on Hart, but if they do decide to keep him I think that a shot at 1st might not be a terrible plan.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While the Padres could be a possibility, I don't think they would get the production that Hart is producing now. They don't have anywhere near the protection in the line up of Corey that we do. With him batting number two, he has Braun, Fielder, and McGehee in front him. That gets him a lot of good pitches to hit. Even if Hart stayed hot, I think opposing pitchers would just pitch around him and take their chances with the rest of the lineup.

Hart has had 31 AB's in the 2-hole and OPS'd a whopping .660.

Protection has absolutely nothing to do with it. He destroyed the ball in the 6th spot in the order.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Well, ok, two slot aside, I think the hitters that around him have something to do with how well he playing this year. I understand that they were there when he sucked also, but I'm guessing his numbers aren't nearly as good if he's playing on the Padres all year.

Well, ok, two slot aside, I think the hitters that around him have something to do with how well he playing this year. I understand that they were there when he sucked also, but I'm guessing his numbers aren't nearly as good if he's playing on the Padres all year.
Stats have shown (and been presented on this website a few times) that what you say is not true.

http://msn.foxsports.com/...-fight-in-nl-east-061510

Rosenthal says the crew should target the Mariners as a trade partner as they would be more inclined to trade for Major League Talent than prospects. Would they trade Lee for Hart straight up? Hart has 1.5 years left and Lee is a FA after this year, I guess that holds some value. Not sure what kind of prospect package Lee would get for a half year rental. Obviously the CC trade comes to mind. Hart wouldn't get that much in a trade for prospects ...

I am not sure how good the prospects the Mariners gave up were to aquire Lee (pitcher Phillippe Aumont, outfielder Tyson Gillies and pitcher J.C. Ramirez) but I can't imagine they would take Hart straight up for Lee.

Really? I would love to see those if someone could put a link up for it. Thanks beforehand!
http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/grabiner/protstudy.html

[quote]The players hit slightly better when *not* protected.... ...The overall difference is thus three points of BA and 26 points of SLG (not 25 because of rounding).[/quote]And from "The Book" [url=http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/pitching-around-batters]http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/pitching-around-batters[/url] [quote]In terms of an alternative to intentional walks, pitching around a hitter accomplishes very little, as it merely increases the ratio of walks to non-walks without significantly affecting how well the hitter performs if he isn't actually walked. In other words, if you'd rather have a walk than whatever the hitter normally does if he doesn't walk, then you should walk him. If you'd rather have what he normally does, you should pitch to him normally.[/quote]

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why would the Brewers want Cliff Lee, free agent to be? He won't put them in the playoffs this year, even with a CC Sabathia-esque performance.

This is what I was referring to in the Rosenthal link:

The Brewers, nine games out, would want Lee only to flip him for younger pitching in a three-way deal. They could offer Zduriencik immediate offensive help — right fielder Corey Hart, the NL leader with 17 homers. Or, they could build a package around a young third baseman — Mat Gamel, who has an .884 OPS at Class AAA. Zduriencik, the Brewers’ former scouting director, drafted both players.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Brewers, nine games out, would want Lee only to flip him for younger pitching in a three-way deal. They could offer Zduriencik immediate offensive help — right fielder Corey Hart, the NL leader with 17 homers. Or, they could build a package around a young third baseman — Mat Gamel, who has an .884 OPS at Class AAA. Zduriencik, the Brewers’ former scouting director, drafted both players.

Sounds good to me! When can this be done?

And then what? Lose Lee in 4 months?

I wouldn't do that in either scenario and definitely not Gamel. No way.

And then what? Lose Lee in 4 months?

I wouldn't do that in either scenario and definitely not Gamel. No way.

Read the bolded portion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ok. My fault, but I still think that's a risky proposition.
I would want Hart and Lee part of a 3 way deal, where Hart goes to Seattle, Lee goes to some other team who gives up a few prospects to Milwaukee. That was how I was reading it. Not wanting to give up Gamel just yet, but Hart can go!

Ok. My fault, but I still think that's a risky proposition.
I would want Hart and Lee part of a 3 way deal, where Hart goes to Seattle, Lee goes to some other team who gives up a few prospects to Milwaukee. That was how I was reading it. Not wanting to give up Gamel just yet, but Hart can go!
Yeah, I agree with you there. I think it's too early to give up on Gamel unless you can get a stud pitcher. (but that's probably not realistic)

definitely agree that it's way too early to let loose of Gamel. i we made any Fielder/Hart trade and picked up any AAA-type batter, we'd basically be trading for someone just like Gamel. what'd be the point, then?

it's obviously the way of baseball, but Gamel is suffering from being the next-greatest prospect after Braun. everyone is expecting Gamel to be great right away like Braun, and we forget that guys like Molitor, Yount and Braun only come along ever 25 years or so. it'd be nice if Gamel got a good number of ABs with the Brewers to see how good he really might be instead of being so quick to let him go.

While I like the idea of trading Hart for Lee and then flipping Lee for prospects I just don't see Hart being the only piece that would be going to Seattle for Lee. I would think the Brewers would have to give up at least one other minor prospect in that deal though with Gamel it would definitely be straight up Lee for Gamel though I think Gamel by himself could get more in return than what the Brewers could get for Lee.

I could see something like Hart and Rogers or a PTBNL.

And I just don't see why the Mariners would trade for Hart. If they want an OFer they can trade Lee for a top prospect and get more back. Or they can take the money coming off the books and bring in someone next year as a FA. Now Gamel makes sense for the Mariners but not at all for the Brewers. The Brewers need bats, Fielder, Weeks, and Hart could all easily be gone.

And I just don't see why the Mariners would trade for Hart. If they want an OFer they can trade Lee for a top prospect and get more back. Or they can take the money coming off the books and bring in someone next year as a FA. Now Gamel makes sense for the Mariners but not at all for the Brewers. The Brewers need bats, Fielder, Weeks, and Hart could all easily be gone.

From the link:

The Mariners do not want to rebuild. Hart and another piece or two

might be more valuable to them than any pure prospect package — and

more valuable to them than the two draft picks they would receive as

compensation if Lee left as a free agent.

Archived