Brewer Fanatic

Hart to nationals?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point I'd be willing to give Hart to Washington for a minor leaguer if a) they pick up his salary and b) we can work out a deal with Jermaine Dye. I doubt it's going to happen, but it would be nice. Then I'd like to see Gamel moved to right field and play every day in Nashville once he gets better.

Dye would make the same as Hart, would be much much much worse in the OF, and would hit about the same vs LHP. I don't understand the fascination.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Dye would make the same as Hart, would be much much much worse in the OF, and would hit about the same vs LHP. I don't understand the fascination.
I agree, however familiarity breeds contempt. My guess is that if we had Dye and Hart was out there, people would be calling for us to DFA Dye and pick up Hart. Of course Hart has some positives like being younger and being a bad outfielder instead of almost completely incompetent.

Just for reference, Hart's UZR/150 over the last 3 years in RF adds up to -7.7.(6.7, -5.3, -9.1) Dye over that same stretch, -67.4(-21.5, -21.4, -24.5) At least Dye is consistent. UZR isn't perfect but I think we can at least draw from those numbers that Hart is a better defender.

Total batting lines over those last 3 years

Hart .275/.328/.474/.802

Dye .267/.334/.496/.830

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A bit of an aside, and one that's been hashed out before, but how good of a lineup would this look like right now?

Weeks

McGehee

Braun

Fielder

NELSON CRUZ

Whoever

My grandma

Eddie Gaedel

Pitcher

I generally like Doug Melvin, but from the second the Carlos Lee trade was announced I did not understand why we were giving away very good minor league talent when WE were the one trading away the superstar rental player...much less for Kevin Mench and a relief pitcher (albeit a good one). Did we just think Laynce Nix was a better prospect than Cruz? Really? We debate about a lot with Melvin and I generally am on his side, but that's definitely one strike against him in my book. Rant over.

I am not Shea Vucinich

The Cruz issue has been debated of late in the Doug Melvin thread on the Major League forum section. Basically it boils down to the Rangers wanted a guy who would be sticking around if they couldn't re-sign Lee, so Melvin had to include Cruz in order to get Cordero (and we badly needed a solid closer at the time).

Yeah, it sucks we gave up a guy who has apparently developed into a good MLB player, but it took several years for that to happen. You can't win every trade hands down.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader....don't forget that Hart was universally accepted as the better prospect. Cruz was seen as a guy that might hit .220 in the majors, strikeout 230 times, hit 30 HR, and play a good RF.

• 1 month later...
With our recent unfortunate trend of being forced to deal our guys at their lowest trade value, would now be a good time to try and pawn Corey Hart while he is on a red-hot streak before we all know he cools down again? .961 OPS in the last 30 days.

I agree. There was talk the Brewers might not even tender him a contract after this year, and after his good start so far I'd rather deal him and maximize any value we can get. The Brewers may be looking to shed payroll as the season wears on anyway, and it would make sense to explore dealing him. I'd rather deal him while he's hot than wait until he inevitably cools off.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Are there any teams that have a real need for a right fielder at this point?
The Rays need a RF with Kapler right now being the RF. The Angels may also need a RF/LF depending on where you think Abreu fits in. Maybe even the Yankees could be a fit but Thames right now is giving them some good production though Wynn isn't doing all that much for the Yankees right now. The Mariners are another possibility but if they don't start figuring things out there I don't see them trading for anything other than trading Lee for some prospects.

I'm not exactly sure what the Brewers could get for Hart but if Hart continues what he is doing maybe a trade for someone like Adam Warren from the Yankees that might be a little bit to much for Hart though. I'm not sure exactly what to expect in return for Hart since if Hart continues what he is doing and if there are any injuries Hart's value could increase and not knowing who else could be available is rather hard to judge the return that the Brewers could get for Hart.

Maybe even the Yankees could be a fit

Nick Swisher is their RF long(ish)-term, and he's back in the lineup tonight. And like you mention, they have guys to face RH & LH pitching in Winn & Thames. The Yankees would not be a fit.

The mention of Tampa is intriguing though, given that they seem to make some sense as a possible destination for Fielder.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe even the Yankees could be a fit

Nick Swisher is their RF long(ish)-term, and he's back in the lineup tonight. And like you mention, they have guys to face RH & LH pitching in Winn & Thames. The Yankees would not be a fit.

The mention of Tampa is intriguing though, given that they seem to make some sense as a possible destination for Fielder.
Yes but Winn is horrible. Even with that I don't see the Yankees as a fit the Rays are probably the better fit but I don't see them giving up all that much in terms of talent for 1.5 years of Hart who is going to be rather expensive next season for his production. If either Thames or Swisher gets injured I could see the Yankees really going after someone to plug that LF/RF hole.

Winn right now is currently hitting .213/.300/.295. That is worse than what Gerut is currently doing and they both have about the same amount of PA's. So there is need for an improvement over someone like Winn but I believe Winn right now is probably the 5th OF for the Yankees so not really something they really need to address.

I don't think the Brewers will get anyone above AA for a pitching prospect in return for Hart if they trade him to the Rays maybe someone like Wilking Rodriguez or David Newmann is probably going to be the return for Hart. So you would be looking at 2013 or 2014 to see those prospects in Milwaukee. I don't see Hart bringing back anything above AA if the Brewers trade him for some pitching the Brewers could get someone that is almost or near ready in terms of a positional player though.

Yes but Winn is horrible.

And so is Hart against righties, which is the role Winn was signed to fill. The Yankees are set in the OF now that Swisher is back.

Hart's struggles vs Right Handers is a bit overblown.

He's not horrible vs Right Handers. For his career he's .263/.311/.462/.773

Not great, but I would hardly call it "horrible".

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived