Brewer Fanatic

Your 2010 Huntsville Stars

Brewer Fanatic Staff

NOTE: This is one of our "Your 2010 ___________ threads. There will be one for each of the full-season teams in place by Monday, when the other rosters are expected to be announced. Within these threads, you will find updates and feature news stories that don't necessarily relate to game action (those would be found within the Daily Link Reports), so it will be an active thread all season long. -- Jim (Mass Haas)

Link while active, text follows:

Many Stars familiar to manager

Guerrero expects team to be mostly from Brevard

By Mark McCarter, Huntsville Times Sports Staff

Familiarity, in the case of the Huntsville Stars, will perhaps breed a contender. That's what manager Mike Guerrero is hoping as the Stars prepare to open their 2010 season this week.

A majority of the players were with Guerrero at Brevard County last season, where the team led the Florida State League in both earned-run average and batting average, or have been with him in past seasons.

"They know what to expect from me and they know I expect a lot from them," Guerrero said Saturday from the Stars' spring training camp in Maryvale, Ariz. "They know the type of game I like to play."

Guerrero said the Stars' offense should be productive, with some potential for power but also with speed and ability to hit for average.

"I know it's a lot of guys going to a higher level, but they should be able to do everything," he said. "They can do the little things and be explosive."

Though the final roster will be set today, barring major changes, this is how it'll look:

Catchers: Jonathan Lucroy, Sean McCraw.

Infield: Chris Errecart (1B), Brett Lawrie (2B), Zelous Wheeler (SS), Steffan Wilson (3B), Anderson Machado (utility).

Outfield: Lee Haydel (LF), Lorenzo Cain (CF), Caleb Gindl (RF), Chuck Caufield (utility)

Starting pitchers: Mark Rogers, Evan Anundsen, Michael Bowman, Amaury Rivas, Alex Periard.

Relievers: Donovan Hand, Mike Jones, Chris Cody, Jim Henderson, Casey Baron, Brandon Kintzler.

The Stars fly from Phoenix to Nashville on Monday, then bus to Huntsville. There will be a "meet and greet" dinner at Wintzell's Oyster House on Wynn Drive from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., with a cost of $15 per person.

Fans wishing to attend need to make reservation and payment at the Stars' office by noon on Monday.

The Stars open the season at Chattanooga on Thursday. The home opener is April 14.

"They'll come ready to play every day," Guerrero said. "the chemistry is good."

Lucroy (125 games), Errecart (18), Lawrie (13), Caufield (113) and Cain (82) have some Double-A experience and Machado is a 29-year-old journeyman. But it is basically a young club.

Only Periard (eight starts in 2008), among the starters, has appeared in Double-A but he, Rivas and Rogers are highly touted enough to have been on the Milwaukee 40-man major league roster this spring, Bowman had a 2.57 ERA last year at Brevard and Anundsen a 2.69 ERA, with a no-hitter last season.

"We'll have to be able to pitch," said Guerrero.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Remember that's what Mark McCarter got from Mike Guerrero or other sources. It can't be 100% accurate (it only lists 22 players, and the roster limit is 24 at the AAA and AA levels), and because Taylor Green is omitted and he's going to be a 6th infielder (starting at third base).

We already know that RHP Evan Anundsen is opening on the DL (LHP Chris Cody to the rotation), so only ten active pitchers are listed in the Huntsville Times story. RHP Robert Hinton is probably one. Closer Rob Wooten would be an obvious choice, but we haven't seen his name in a box score all spring, so there's cause for DL concern there.

The Brewers make it clear they're not going to bump SS Brent Brewer simply based on service time (but on performance), so 5'10", 220-lb. Zelous Wheeler makes for an interesting "everyday" shortstop. If you remember, an earlier Huntsville Times story indicated Sergio Miranda would be the starting shortstop. Apparently not the case...

24-year-old catcher Sean McCraw, the former Met farmhand, gets bumped past high-A (although he spent parts of 2007 and 2008 there for New York) to make his AA debut, even though he scraped together a .211 season with 13 errors at Wisconsin last season. Expect lots of Jonathan Lucroy, obviously. The "barber", 23-year-old Martin Maldonado, not the choice here.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

25-year-old RHP Nick Green is another pitcher you'd expect to see in Huntsville (not listed), along with RHP Ruben "Buddy" Flores, also 25. So maybe we'll get news on them Sunday.

Looks like LHP Dan Merklinger will build off his his strong second half with Brevard last season to be a big part of the Manatee staff to start 2010.

Like many of you, many of us here at Brewerfan will be out and about today on the holiday. We'll do our best to keep you all posted, feel free to help us out if you see official reports of roster announcements, thanks.

Official Huntsville roster:

Rotation

RHP Michael Bowman

LHP Chris Cody

RHP Alex Periard

RHP Amaury Rivas

RHP Mark Rogers

Bullpen

LHP Casey Baron

RHP Donovan Hand

RHP Jim Henderson

RHP Robert Hinton

RHP Mike Jones

RHP Brandon Kintzler

RHP Mark Willinsky

Catchers

C Jonathan Lucroy

C Sean McCraw

Infielders

1B Chris Errecart

3B Taylor Green

2B Brett Lawrie

Util Anderson Machado

SS Zelous Wheeler

1B/3B Steffan Wilson

Outfielders

CF Lorenzo Cain

OF Chuckie Caufield

RF Caleb Gindl

LF Lee Haydel

Disabled list

RHP Evan Anundsen

LHP Bobby Bramhall

RHP Rob Wooten

LHP Brae Wright

Boo for Bramhall and Wooten starting on the disabled list, get healthy please!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That's going to be a heck of a lineup once everyone is healthy. Green, Cain, Lawrie, Lucroy, Gindl, and Schafer. The pitching staff looks pretty tough too. This should be a good team. Very balanced. I am disappointed Jones was moved to the bullpen, but I hope he excels in the role.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Green, Cain, Lawrie, Lucroy, Gindl, and Schafer.
Cain could be promoted when Schafer comes back...

Otherwise, this Huntsville team might rival the LaPorta, Gamel and Salome team from 2 years ago.

Except with pitching!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

By Mark McCarter

General manager sees big season for team, which opens season on road Thursday

Huntsville Times Sports Staff

No one will ever accuse Huntsville Stars general manager Buck Rogers of being low-key or pessimistic.

Even if it means that he's putting more than a tad of pressure on team manager Mike Guerrero and the 2010 Stars.

"We had a good team last year," Rogers said Monday night after the club arrived from its spring training camp in Maryvale, Ariz. "We're going to be even better this year.

"We should be ordering Southern League championship rings in August."

That might be more than a bit premature, but as Rogers noted "we kept close eyes on Brevard County (Milwaukee's Class A team in the Florida State League) last year. The core group of that team had the best record of 170 minor league teams. We have most of them here this year."

The Stars open the season on Thursday at Chattanooga, then hold the home opener on April 14. The team will work out at Joe Davis Stadium tonight and Wednesday. Various local dignitaries and VIPs will join the team for batting practice Wednesday.

What Rogers would like to see nearly as much as a competitive team is cooperative weather.

"The Farmer's Almanac says cool, dry weather," he said.

The Stars had 47 percent of their games impacted by weather last season.

"I think we deserve good weather," he said. "Mother Nature has to be on our side this year."

The Stars, whose attendance was the lowest in the Southern League last season, have a variety of promotions this season, though Rogers admitted much of the off-season work has dealt with organizing this season's Southern League All-Star Game (July 12 at Joe Davis Stadium).

"We've got a core group of interns who are building some fun nights," he said.

According to Rogers, virtually every home game this season will have discounted tickets, food or drink prices through their work with corporate sponsors. For instance, children are admitted free every Sunday when wearing an athletic uniform and accompanied by a parent.

Green joins big league Brewers at Spring Training

Earle Couper/Comox Valley Record

It was Miller time for Taylor Green when he joined the Milwaukee

Brewers for their final two MLB preseason exhibition games on the

weekend.

The Comox Valley infielder saw

action in both games with the big club against the Detroit Tigers at

newly renovated Miller Park in Milwaukee, pinch-hitting for first

baseman Prince Fielder. He got in one at-bat both games, reaching base

both times but was left stranded both times. The Brew Crew swept the

Tigers, winning 3-2 Friday and 13-12 Saturday.

It was a great way to wrap up

spring training for the 24-year-old Green, who is expected to start the

season with AA Huntsville Stars of the Southern League in Alabama. MLB

teams have two training camps, minor league and major league, explained

Taylor’s father, Bill.

“Most players, except the big

shots and a few select invitees, go to minor league camp ... that’s all

the rookie, A, AA and AAA players. Taylor had been in the minor league

camp and had been doing well. He was playing on the AAA Nashville

roster,” Bill Green said.

In the third week of March, the

major league camps are whittled down to a very select group of proven

major leaguers and three or four other prospects.

“Players are being sent back to

minor league camp. So, Taylor (playing on the AAA roster) felt that as

soon as players were released from the Major League camp, he would be

displaced to the AA roster. This is usually what happens,” explained

Bill Green.

However, on March 22 while in

Minor League camp he was told to pack his bags and go over to Big League

camp. He thought he was just being invited over for a game that day

with the Big League team. (The previous week in Phoenix, Taylor had been

invited to play in the big league games against the Cincinnati Reds and

the San Francisco Giants).

“He was wrong ... it wasn’t a

one-day invite ... it was ‘Pack your bags son, you’re now on the Big

League spring training roster!’” Bill Green said. “Taylor said his feet

barely touched the ground as he walked into the dressing room with

Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Trevor Hoffman, Greg Zaun, etc.etc. And the

$1,000/week meal money is a lot better than $20/day in the minor

leagues!” Bill Green added.

That kind of move at that time,

with just over a week in spring training left, is highly unusual and a

real big vote of confidence, Bill Green said. “The Brewers obviously are

taking a good look at Taylor fitting into the major league team right

away. He played an outstanding game against the Kansas City Royals last

week ... hitting a towering home run, stealing a base, and making two

diving plays at third ... all in front of the GM Doug Melvin and

assistant GM Gord Ash.

“What happens will all depend on a

number of factors relating to trades, other players, and how well Casey

McGehee, the Brewer’s present third baseman, is playing,” said Bill

Green, noting McGehee has not enjoyed a stellar preseason.

Despite that, McGehee will start

the season at third for the Brewers, a position where the team has good

depth. Perhaps for that reason, the Brewers had been moving Green around

the infield during spring training.

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/320*320/29561NewS.8.20100406105436.Baseball_20100407.jpg

What is Logan Schafer's natural position? I just ask because on the first roster list Lorenzo Cain was listed as the centerfielder, but I thought Schafer was a center fielder too so I was wondering who would switch positions.

What

is Logan Schafer's natural position? I just ask because on the first

roster list Lorenzo Cain was listed as the centerfielder, but I thought

Schafer was a center fielder too so I was wondering who would switch

positions.

They're both center fielders. Schafer has a slight groin tear; when he's healthy, it seems logical that he'll be activated at Huntsville and Cain will be promoted to Nashville.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars' Cain eager for more improvement

Outfielder, 23, rated among Milwaukee's top eight prospects

By Mark McCarter, Huntsville Times Sports Staff

Five years ago, Lorenzo Cain was a raw, gangly teenager, still a bit awkward. "His body," recalled Stars manager Mike Guerrero, "was all over the place."

Now, on the cusp of 24 and going into his sixth season in professional ball, "you look at him and it's been like the evolution of a player," Guerrero said.

Cain has evolved from a league MVP in his first pro stop, in the Arizona Rookie League in 2005, to an outfielder regarded by Baseball America as the No. 8 prospect in the Milwaukee Brewers organization.

It hasn't come easy for Cain, who'll start in center field Thursday when the Stars open their season at Chattanooga (6:15 p.m., WUMP-730 AM radio), nor has it come without some bit of trauma.

Cain began last season on the disabled list after a hamstring injury in spring training. Four days after being activated, he tore a knee ligament on April 23 while diving for a fly ball in Carolina. That sidelined him until July and he could only cobble together a .214 average in 42 games with the Stars.

"When I finally got a chance to play again, I wasn't the same," Cain said Tuesday as the Stars held their first workout of the season at Joe Davis Stadium.

"I'm very optimistic about this year, ready to get this year started," Cain said. "Last year was tough. But I was able to bounce back and I'm ready to go forward."

As optimistic about his own season, Cain said he feels the same way about this team.

"We've got a lot of young players and a lot of talent. The guys are going to play hard," he said.

The Brewers have been impressed enough with Cain, who hails from Madison, Fla., to give him some work in big league games this past spring training. He got in 14 games, with 21 at-bats for a .286 average, including a game-winning two-run homer against Colorado in mid-March. Said Cain, "I just tried to make the best of it."

It's part of that evolution of a player.

"I feel like I've gotten a lot better. When I was young, it was rough. I had to learn this game of baseball," he said. "I'm still learning. I've still got a lot to improve."

Archived